What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO showing entire series The Wire (remastered) starting 12/26 (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
Heads up!

Every episode, starting Fri Dec 26th at Noon. Remastered in 16:9 HD. I missed it the first run, got my DVR set.

HBO Signature East

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have HBO, you also have HBOGo, which has always had all of the Wire episodes available. I don't know what the format was, but it's there.

If you have HBO, you also have HBOGo, which has always had all of the Wire episodes available. I don't know what the format was, but it's there.
I believe this is the first time they're being shown in remastered 16:9

I've been waiting to watch it for the 3rd time and try to get my wife into it this time.

I hope they go right to HBOGo though since I don't want to fill up the dvr.

I believe this is the first time they're being shown in remastered 16:9I've been waiting to watch it for the 3rd time and try to get my wife into it this time.

I hope they go right to HBOGo though since I don't want to fill up the dvr.
:yes:

interesting. I wonder if it'll be noticeable.

By remastering the show in 16:9, HBO is actually altering the shape of the frame, and thus the composition and content of the shots contained within. This isn’t a big deal for the first three seasons of the show, which according to DP Dave Insley were framed to work in 16:9 in anticipation of an eventual HD transfer. But, as Insley says, before shooting began on season four of the show, a meeting was held and series creator David Simon decided they would stick with 4:3, which he thinks “feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie.”

Couldn't make it through season 2 last time. Are seasons 3-5 better?
Seasons 3 and 4 are the best. If you would have finished season 2, you would have seen what a masterpiece it was. S2 is the most important because it established everything for moving forward. It isn't a show about cops and drug dealers. It's a show about a city.

Seasons 3 and 4 are some of the best TV ever made. Season 5 is pretty much like Season 2. Really, really good for a regular TV show but when you compare it to 1, 3, and 4, it just doesn't hold up.

But what do I know? I'm just a humble mother####er with a big ### ****.

Season two is very divisive. I liked it but many didn't.

I think season 4 is the best season of tv ever, although overall Breaking Bad surpassed The Wire for me.

I also didn't hate season 5 as much as others.

Thanks for posting this.

I didn't have HBO when it ran, and never did pull off the Netflix marathon.

This will make it easy to have them all recorded within a few clicks.

I have the entire series on DVD. I got it 2-3 years ago on Amazon. I wonder if its the remastered series.

S2 was disappointing to me the first time around because it goes away from the characters you came to be interested in during S1. However, S3 goes back to those characters in a big way and S4 is just brilliant, one of the best seasons of any show ever. I rewatched the series in order to show it to my girlfriend this year and appreciated S2 much more the second time around not going into it with the usual expectations of how a show will function.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Not sure how it will be better in 16x9 bi thanks for the heads up
It won't. And considering the on sale date after Christmas, the logic of the whole thing is lost on me.

So it will be 16x9 but not hd?

my signature east isn't in hd

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrugs said:
FreeBaGeL said:
S2 was disappointing to me the first time around because it goes away from the characters you came to be interested in during S1. However, S3 goes back to those characters in a big way and S4 is just brilliant, one of the best seasons of any show ever. I rewatched the series in order to show it to my girlfriend this year and appreciated S2 much more the second time around not going into it with the usual expectations of how a show will function.
Season 3 bothered me a lot because I could just not buy in to Hamsterdam.

I'm on my fourth viewing of the series. This is the first time I really appreciated season two.

I'm not going to start over again on Dec 26, but maybe I'll watch a few minutes just to see what effect the different formatting has.

Nick Vermeil said:
The show creator Simon put out a great article about the remaster.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Posting from a phone so sorry about the lame formatting.
All they had to do was release it in 4:3 1080p. I have wide zoom on my TV if I want to watch in 16:9.
:doh:
Why? I'm perfectly happy watching it in HD as it originally aired in 4:3.
So you're not in their target demographic for this release. Got it.

Nick Vermeil said:
The show creator Simon put out a great article about the remaster.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Posting from a phone so sorry about the lame formatting.
All they had to do was release it in 4:3 1080p. I have wide zoom on my TV if I want to watch in 16:9.
:doh:
Why? I'm perfectly happy watching it in HD as it originally aired in 4:3.
Because you think the using your TV zoom is accomplishing the same thing as a 16:9 transfer

Users who are viewing this thread