What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official 2015 Chicago Bears Offseason Thread **** (1 Viewer)

The Tick

Footballguy
Well, the Bears are starting fresh, so I guess it's time for us to also.

Emory and Trestman both officially fired according to the radio and it's time to start this all over again.

So, thoughts for next coach and GM? Really have no idea for GM, as for coach, Bowles or maybe Gary Kubiak, I though he did a pretty good job at the Texans and wouldn't mind giving him a shot, would just need a strong DC to go with him.... maybe Rex Ryan? I'd be happy with that.

Trestman not fired yet.
The Score and ProFootballTalk are both reporting the Trestman has officially been fired also. They could be mistaken, but they have Zach Zaidman hosting this morning, and he's usually pretty plugged in.

Who the hell will want this job? Cutler is the ultimate coach (and GM) killer.

Shannahan is rumored to be interested in comng back to the NFL. But I'd get on the phone RIGHT NOW to Harbaugh to gauge any interest. He still hasn't officially accepted the Michigan job and the Raiders are supposedly calling him as well.

You don't make keeping Cutler a requirement to anyone coming in. You need a body to play QB this year, like was needed in Houston when their new coach came in, they obviously don't have "the guy" there yet. If he needs to bench him, he can bench him. You give the guys the team and let them do what they need with it.

The best phrase I saw from I think the tribune was something along the lines of whatever we do, we have to stop making decision to fit Jay Cutler, we just need to make decisions in the best interest the team long term.

Shannahan is rumored to be interested in comng back to the NFL. But I'd get on the phone RIGHT NOW to Harbaugh to gauge any interest. He still hasn't officially accepted the Michigan job and the Raiders are supposedly calling him as well.
Done deal for Harbaugh and Michigan.

Jerry Curl said:
Trestman is fired. Nothing better then watching bad coaches and GMs get fired.
I don't agree
They still get paid, I feel no sympathy for them making big money after doing bad at their job.

He gets to go away and get the rest of his money and not hurt his former team any further from their very bad decisions, coaches can get jobs very easily. I almost think a person is not in touch if they have sympathy for these bad coaches who get fired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hue Jackson definitely on my list. Guy did a good job in Oakland and got hosed by the idiot GM they have now.

Yep.
What GM wouldn't want this job? Management pretty much gives them the reigns to run the team, they are pretty much the senior football executive in the organization. As long as you don't completely crash the car like Emory, you won't be going anywhere.

As far as starting point, not horrible, a Cutler contract you have to figure out how to get out from under, either eating it at once and just cutting him, or using him as your need a guy to start for a year and then cut him next year for much less. Rest of the offense just needs a little work personnel wise, so additional receivers and strengthen the line. D, no huge contracts you can't get out of, Houston is probably the worst, and he can likely be useful, so don't think you need to get rid of him. Need to figure out if any of your young players are good, and build from there.

The only thing you can't do is put requirements on the job, like you HAVE to keep cutler and use him. Give the free reign to run the team as they please, and I don't think this thing is hard to sell.

Whoever comes in will probably inherit Cutler for 1 season assuming he is untradeable (Harbaugh was stuck with Smith for a year when he started coaching the 49ers). Let it be known that the starting QB position is an open competition. They need another veteran to push him and if Cutler stinks you embarrass him by letting everyone know that he got beat out for the job - no more coddling him. I don't know if this will work to motivate him but nothing else has so far. From what we have seen so far Jay probably won't care and will be laughing all the way to the bank. They need to look at drafting and developing or QB or developing Fales.

The Bears have an alarming trend of not hiring coaches with NFL head coaching experience. Something to consider as Ted "I should be fired too, but I have dirt on the McCaskeys" Phillips looks for another coach that will most likely fail because this organization does not get how to win consistently in the NFL.

Firing a 10-6 coach seemed like a knee-jerk reaction. Now this hiring seems like a huge mistake.

Former Bears Head Coaches

Lovie Smith (2004-2012) - Formerly a defensive coach

**** Jauron (1999-2003) - Formerly a defensive coach

Dave Wannstedt (1993-1998) - Formerly a defensive coach

Mike Ditka - (1982-1992) - Formerly a special teams coach

Neill Armstrong (1978-1981) - Formerly a defensive coach

Jack Pardee (1975-1977) - Formerly a defensive coach

Abe Gibron (1972-1974) - Formerly a defensive coach

You have to go back to Jim Dooley (hired in 1968) to find a Bears head coach who had an offensive background. It takes a special kind of guy to coach the Bears. A tough, hard-nosed leader of men serving a tough, hard-nosed, passionate fan base. It seems as though they set out to find the OPPOSITE of Lovie Smith, and Trestman was the best candidate they could find. I'm going on record as saying this will be a disaster.
While I'm not a fan of the hire, these coaches have led the Bears to 2 NFCCs and 1 Super Bowl victory, and the majority of that list were complete failures as a head coach.The combined results of those guys tells me that getting away from this mindset is not necessarily a bad thing, I just think they went about it the wrong way.

The other mindset they needed to get away from is not hiring a HC with NFL HC experience. You have to go back to Paddy Driscoll in the 50s to find a HC they hired that had done it before. And Paddy Driscoll's experience? Player/coach about 30 years before thet hired him. In that 30 year gap, between being Player/Coach, and hired by the Bears, he was never a HC at the professional level. They failed at this and miserably.

And for the record, I'm in the Hub Arkush camp of wondering why Brian Billick wasn't approached.
The Bears have an alarming trend of not hiring coaches with NFL head coaching experience. Something to consider as Ted "I should be fired too, but I have dirt on the McCaskeys" Phillips looks for another coach that will most likely fail because this organization does not get how to win consistently in the NFL.

I don't know if he's interested or if he'll be available--and he obviously isn't accessible right now, and probably won't be for some time--but if the bears can land Dan Quinn, they'd be doing themselves a big favor. That would be a step in the right direction for the organization.

Wow, Trestman canned that fast? Eddie DeBartolo had a famous one liner when they asked if Trestman was gonna be back as OC they day they announced George Seifert's "retirement":

"GONE" - passes mic back to Carmen Policy

I don't know if he's interested or if he'll be available--and he obviously isn't accessible right now, and probably won't be for some time--but if the bears can land Dan Quinn, they'd be doing themselves a big favor. That would be a step in the right direction for the organization.
Assuming that you're talking about Quinn as a HC, F that.

They need to be in break the mold mode and that mold has been hiring inexperience at the HC position.

This is an organization that just went through, what appears to be, a season of lawlessness. Order needs to be restored as quickly as possible.

With no notable, or noticeable, team leader, and the inability to rid yourself of all 53 players on the roster, you simply can not hire someone that hasn't done it before yet again.

This team needs someone that will not only demand respect, anyone can do that. They need someone that has earned the respect that they demand.

Couldn't agree more - we need a proven HEAD COACH who knows how to win.

To me this is the perfect calling for Mike Shanahan. He coached (and I beleive built) the Denver Broncos team into a perennial team that won Super Bowls. He's coached Cutler and can be the guy that says "listen pal- 2015 is it, either you play like an MVP or you're done". He's my logical choice at this time.

Assuming that you're talking about Quinn as a HC, F that.

They need to be in break the mold mode and that mold has been hiring inexperience at the HC position.

This is an organization that just went through, what appears to be, a season of lawlessness. Order needs to be restored as quickly as possible.

With no notable, or noticeable, team leader, and the inability to rid yourself of all 53 players on the roster, you simply can not hire someone that hasn't done it before yet again.

This team needs someone that will not only demand respect, anyone can do that. They need someone that has earned the respect that they demand.
I think it would be a mistake to automatically dismiss anyone who hasn't yet been employed as a head coach. What proven candidate would you purse? Rex Ryan, who has two winning seasons out of six as a head coach? Mike Shanahan? His Super Bowl teams were about sixteen years ago and he only had one winning season as a head coach since leaving Denver. I think the bears' methodology is correct...they need to find the next up-and-comer by mining personnel in other supervisory roles. They've just been poor in their execution and have whiffed on their selections.

Where is the pink slip for Phillips!? This is yet another example of why all of this is just ownership rhetoric - saving face again to "appease" the fan base. There is no accountability in the executive suite because they can care less. Wash rinse repeat! There is no defined vision which means there is no strategy and ultimately a misalignment in resources and broken process. The value GM and coordinator "head coach" hires are forthcoming. Bottom line - the e-suite will be as cost effective in their twisted logic which will buy them a few years of growing pains and adjustments. This ownership has zero clue as to how a modern day NFL team should be constructed. How do you trust the "leadership" to make the correct choice at GM? They can care less because they will just rollick in the profits. Maybe they understand that the league is a copy cat league and follow the rebuilding example of the Seahawks or the consistent reloading of the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers. I will take reload over wash rinse and repeat but ya need a modern day NFL vision to pull it off

Where is the pink slip for Phillips!? This is yet another example of why all of this is just ownership rhetoric - saving face again to "appease" the fan base. There is no accountability in the executive suite because they can care less. Wash rinse repeat! There is no defined vision which means there is no strategy and ultimately a misalignment in resources and broken process. The value GM and coordinator "head coach" hires are forthcoming. Bottom line - the e-suite will be as cost effective in their twisted logic which will buy them a few years of growing pains and adjustments. This ownership has zero clue as to how a modern day NFL team should be constructed. How do you trust the "leadership" to make the correct choice at GM? They can care less because they will just rollick in the profits. Maybe they understand that the league is a copy cat league and follow the rebuilding example of the Seahawks or the consistent reloading of the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers. I will take reload over wash rinse and repeat but ya need a modern day NFL vision to pull it off
I think you have to wait until after the 4:00 presser to see how this all pans out. Think about it, as of now there's no word on Mel Tucker's status and there's no way he's sticking around, so they aren't done. There has also been rumbles that Ted's going to be removed from the football side of the organization. Let's see what they say

Always thought Harbaugh was a Chicago Bear more than anything else. Really curious to see if Bears ownership can make it happen.

bernsy is going crazy on the score yelling at your fans it is crazy that guy he just yells at bears fans every show that is probably why i like him so much take that to the bank chicago brearhans

bernsy is going crazy on the score yelling at your fans it is crazy that guy he just yells at bears fans every show that is probably why i like him so much take that to the bank chicago brearhans
:o
hey man i like the d list on milwaukee espn and that is about it the other local station is just dumb they have guys who just take dumb positions to stir the pot and i do not like listening to it also i really liked bernsy going after penn state it sort of made my day and now i listen to him and who you crappin take that to the bank brohans

:o
hey man i like the d list on milwaukee espn and that is about it the other local station is just dumb they have guys who just take dumb positions to stir the pot and i do not like listening to it also i really liked bernsy going after penn state it sort of made my day and now i listen to him and who you crappin take that to the bank brohans
I'm just really surprised. I had no idea E.E. Cummings played fantasy football.

No changes in the Bears management structure. George talked for 2 minutes then handed it over to Teddy to take over... Still don't get it. They have hired Ernie Accorsi as a consultant, so at least they are trying to get a football mind into the decision, but overall no major management changes as we all hoped for. I do love how they were calling Accorsi "another football mind" as if they actually have one there to start with right now.

Ooops, put this in the 2014 thread.

If you got a chance at Mariotta or Winston at 7, do you pull the trigger?
No.

I guess to add to that, I don't think either of them are a sure fire franchise QB, this team needs help at every level and we will have a chance at franchise players at other positions. I think we take them and move ahead with a QB project, or holding for next year.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/55335/20141229/nfl-rumors-chicago-bears-hiring-head-coach-gm-kansas-city.htm

"If the Bears are looking for a new guy [at GM], the name that's been out there is [Kansas City Chiefs director of player personnel] Chris Ballard, who spent time with the Chicago Bears, is now in the Kansas City Chiefs front office," ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said on "Mike & Mike." "He becomes a prime candidate to become the Bears general manager.

"If he becomes the Bears general manager...he's in Kansas City and there's a guy in Kansas City who coaches the special teams named Dave Toub, who's interviewed for head coaching jobs. I could see a Dave Toub-Chris Ballard reunion in Chicago."

Users who are viewing this thread