What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (2 Viewers)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
2014 is history. The future is a mystery. 22nd pick, 1st place schedule for 2015 - post your hopes, dreams, and aspirations here.

Hope: that they continue to focus on defense this offseason. Although improvements on the oline wouldn't be a bad thing. Realize the line played well and they have a bargain in Beachum but they could certainly improve at both tackle spots and LG. Not at the expense of getting better value or more needed positions though.

I hope that the recent trend of playing up to the level of difficult opponents continues without the stale after-taste of playing down to the level of bad teams. I think the defense needs some leaders to emerge quickly to replace all the vets who are likely to depart -- Keisel, Polamalu, Ike, Harrison -- because this team is built to thrive on that organic veteran leadership.

:towelwave:

Hope: They extend Ben soon.

Hope: They get a backup RB that isn't a whiny pothead.

Hope: They draft CBs and OLs, but resign myself to the fact they'll probably draft another LB.

Hope: They draft CBs and OLs, but resign myself to the fact they'll probably draft another LB.
I hate to say it, but I think they need another outside LB (and CB and Safetys).

Cards on the table here, EG.

Do you know the ascii-shortcut to make the hypocycloids or did you just copy them from the 2014 thread title?

Cards on the table here, EG.

Do you know the ascii-shortcut to make the hypocycloids or did you just copy them from the 2014 thread title?
Totally copied/pasted from the 2014 thread. I don't know my ASCII from my elbowski.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we assuming Worilds is gone? or did he have a ####ty enough season that he'll be cheap enough for us to re-sign?
Fairly certain he's gone. They're going to let him test the market and someone will overpay him. He's not getting tagged again and he's not coming back unless it's on a very team-friendly contract. No idea what Harrison is going to do. Jarvis Jones really needs to step up big in season 3, but the cupboard is very bare at OLB. For once, we have some pretty solid and inexpensive depth at ILB so I think we may see at least one FA signee at OLB and at least 1 high draft pick at the position. Probably a first rounder. I'm looking at Vic Beasley or the kid from Louisville.

I also believe Polamalu retires. Ike moves on. We need to draft at least 1 CB and 1 S, but they never seem to go 1st round on those positions. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least 2 picks of the first five invested on secondary.

I'm not sure what to think of the NT spot. McClendon played pretty well but isn't the classic two-gap NT that proved to be the engine of this LeBeau defense during the glory years. I don't know what we have in McCullers. Cam Thomas is gone like the wind. Don't know if they would invest a first rounder in a guy like Shelton, although maybe he can become what I once hoped Ta'Amu was going to be. Unlike that knucklehead, Shelton seems to be an exceedingly bright young man. Just not convinced they go early at this spot and if what's out there on day 2-3 isn't any better than McCullers, I wouldn't be shocked to see this spot ignored.

Offense, I don't think we need to spend any draft picks on except maybe for a mid-rounder on a developmental OL prospect. Perhaps a backup RB if someone falls into our laps. Perhaps a developmental QB if they've seen enough of Landry Jones to know he's not the future, but I don't see this as a dire need. That's it. I think Lance Moore is done in PGH as well.

I hope that the recent trend of playing up to the level of difficult opponents continues without the stale after-taste of playing down to the level of bad teams. I think the defense needs some leaders to emerge quickly to replace all the vets who are likely to depart -- Keisel, Polamalu, Ike, Harrison -- because this team is built to thrive on that organic veteran leadership.

I think Timmons has to be that guy. Heyward maybe. Perhaps Sean Spence.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that if Harrison will take a salary that they can fit under the cap, that he's coming back to play another year.

Are we assuming Worilds is gone? or did he have a ####ty enough season that he'll be cheap enough for us to re-sign?
Fairly certain he's gone. They're going to let him test the market and someone will overpay him. He's not getting tagged again and he's not coming back unless it's on a very team-friendly contract. No idea what Harrison is going to do. Jarvis Jones really needs to step up big in season 3, but the cupboard is very bare at OLB. For once, we have some pretty solid and inexpensive depth at ILB so I think we may see at least one FA signee at OLB and at least 1 high draft pick at the position. Probably a first rounder. I'm looking at Vic Beasley or the kid from Louisville.

I also believe Polamalu retires. Ike moves on. We need to draft at least 1 CB and 1 S, but they never seem to go 1st round on those positions. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least 2 picks of the first five invested on secondary.

I'm not sure what to think of the NT spot. McClendon played pretty well but isn't the classic two-gap NT that proved to be the engine of this LeBeau defense during the glory years. I don't know what we have in McCullers. Cam Thomas is gone like the wind. Don't know if they would invest a first rounder in a guy like Shelton, although maybe he can become what I once hoped Ta'Amu was going to be. Unlike that knucklehead, Shelton seems to be an exceedingly bright young man. Just not convinced they go early at this spot and if what's out there on day 2-3 isn't any better than McCullers, I wouldn't be shocked to see this spot ignored.

Offense, I don't think we need to spend any draft picks on except maybe for a mid-rounder on a developmental OL prospect. Perhaps a backup RB if someone falls into our laps. Perhaps a developmental QB if they've seen enough of Landry Jones to know he's not the future, but I don't see this as a dire need. That's it. I think Lance Moore is done in PGH as well.
I don't think Worilds played as badly as people think -- he was asked to drop back in coverage a lot. That said I agree the Steelers do not tag him and let him test the FA waters where he will be overpaid by someone else and I am okay with that.

That leaves us thin at OLB so it is a position of need going into the offseason. I do think Harrison will be back they'll probably re-sign Moats but hopefully both are in a backup role. Whatever they do they need to generate more of a pass rush than they've been getting so if that means spending a #1 draft pick on a pass rusher they should consider it.

I agree that Ike and Polamalu retire and it is no secret that the Steelers have pressing needs in the secondary. I originally thought that Gay was an UFA but he is signed for 2015 which is good. McCain is an UFA, Blake is restricted and I am not sure how they feel about Cortez Allen anymore. Mike Mitchell was a huge disappointment but we may be stuck with him. I would like to see Shmarko get a chance at FS though. The Steelers could easily spend 2 of their top picks on DBs and I don't think anyone would be surprised.

I disagree about the offense though. I think the Steelers could really use a TE that is a legit pass catching threat though from what I understand 2015 is considered to be a weak class for TE. Maybe they can grab Maxx Williams with their 2nd pick. I wouldn't bother with a development QB -- just resign Ben and worry about that later.

They can draft all the cornerbacks, defensive linemen, and linebackers they want. It will still take a few years for them to learn the system, gain NFL experience, and play well. By that time, most of their current players that lead the team on offense will likely be gone. Might have a 2 year window...if that.

My hope : they sign some good defensive players via free agency that can play right away. Their defensive FA signings last year were a nightmare. Need to be better there.

They can draft all the cornerbacks, defensive linemen, and linebackers they want. It will still take a few years for them to learn the system, gain NFL experience, and play well. By that time, most of their current players that lead the team on offense will likely be gone. Might have a 2 year window...if that.

My hope : they sign some good defensive players via free agency that can play right away. Their defensive FA signings last year were a nightmare. Need to be better there.
If they're a good enough player, I don't think it should take a few years to learn the system and play well. It may take a year and in some cases even less than that for them to make an impact. I agree that they need to do a better job in free agency but they need to really hit on this draft and find players who can help them within the next 2-3 years (while Ben is still in his prime).

Realistic wants:

Ben extended

Reasonable backup RB signed (I like Bradshaw myself as he's a good complimentary back and he can possibly keep himself and Bell healthy)

Defense for the vast majority of the draft

Decastro extended

Re-sign Arthur Moats

Unrealistic want from a Steelers standpoint:

Sign Orakpo to a one year prove it

Have Ingram come in to compliment Bell

Pipe dream:

Revis

Realistic wants:

Ben extended

Reasonable backup RB signed (I like Bradshaw myself as he's a good complimentary back and he can possibly keep himself and Bell healthy)

Decastro extended

Re-sign Arthur Moats

Pipe dream:

Revis
I don't think Ingram accepts a backup/complementary role.

Realistic wants:

Ben extended

Decastro extended

Re-sign Arthur Moats

Pipe dream:

Revis
I don't think Ingram accepts a backup/complementary role.
Ya but I'm allowed to post it as an unrealistic want... I put the disclaimer there for a reason. Hell would freeze over before they took on a FA like Revis.

Realistic wants:

Ben extended

Decastro extended

Re-sign Arthur Moats

Pipe dream:

Revis
Ben will get an extension for sure. I'd bet my life on it.

I wouldn't mind Bradshaw. IIRC, they kicked the tires on him last offseason. Not sure what his contract situation is, but I feel (more) confident he could stay healthy if he's used as a complementary back. He was doing some decent things in Indy before he got hurt again.

Not sure if they can extend DeCastro without a big cap hit. He's on a rookie deal now, so he's cost-effective. No f#$%ing way they can fit Revis under the cap. However, I wouldn't mind a FA CB along with a draft pick. They need to infuse....something into that backfield. I just wish they could cut Mike Mitchell. I thought the added speed at that spot where Clark had lost a step would open things up for the defense, but he straight-up sucked.

I'm willing to give Mitchell a break. He was playing with a torn groin and seems to understand he put the team in bad situations with his high hitting. He would probably have been loved like a Rodney Harrison in another lifetime but the sport has changed.

Idiot Boxer said:

Baltimore just proved you don't need 1st round corners...get pressure on the QB from your front 7 and you can throw about anyone back there. That's been Lebeau's MO forever but the pressure part hasn't been there recently.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Memphis Foundry said:

I agree on Timmons and think Heyward is on his way. I am intrigued at what Shamarko Thomas could be. If I recall correctly, he was extraordinary in overcoming the death of his mom and keeping his family together. If he could put it together on the field, I think he could emerge as a leader too.

Resign Moats

Resign McCain

Let Worilds walk

Bye Ike

bye Troy

Draft heavy at OLB CB and safety and future Miller replacement.

Free agency backup RB vet and another serviceable CB vet like we had in McCain

Evilgrin 72 said:
Memphis Foundry said:

I agree on Timmons and think Heyward is on his way. I am intrigued at what Shamarko Thomas could be. If I recall correctly, he was extraordinary in overcoming the death of his mom and keeping his family together. If he could put it together on the field, I think he could emerge as a leader too.
His biggest issue is staying healthy. He goes balls to the wall and ends up hurt often.

Long-ish read from a scout I've never heard of, but what else do you guys want to talk about? Flacco's Eyebrow? Brady's Chin? Andrew Luck's ####beard?

http://pit.scout.com/forums/1897-heinz-field/13548354-draft-chat-with-te-thomas-today

Dave-Te' Thomas
Testing

Tim Yotter
We'll wait a couple more minutes for everyone to settle in and start it up at noon. Your questions are appearing but have to be selected, for those wondering. Thanks.

Tim Yotter
For those wondering about underclassmen, here is the list from Scout.com so far:
http://profootball.scout.co...

Tim Yotter
We are continuing to work through Dave-Te's rankings and capsules and hope to be caught up by the Senior Bowl. Scout.com will have a several people covering the Senior Bowl, with practices starting Jan. 20.

Dave-Te' Thomas
Ready to rock?

Tim Yotter
Yes, sir. I'll start posting them now.
Comment From Ram
How do you grade out the seniors in this draft?

Dave-Te' Thomas
I think this is going to be a great year for teams looking for OT & pass rushing needs

Dave-Te' Thomas
Still, I am not "drinking the koolaid" on the 2 top QBs

Dave-Te' Thomas
I am very interested in the WR crop, feeling the sleeper will be Ohio State's Devin Smith

Tim Yotter
How about if you start with a general overview of your thoughts on which positions are strong, which aren't and the biggest underclassmen decisions to be made yet.

Dave-Te' Thomas
As for the strongest positions, the underclassmen coming out for the defensive front wall like Leonard Williams & Sean Ray make them immediate Top 5 targets. I think that teams will have a much more difficult time finding blue chip DT talent, but those looking for a stud NG have Shelton & Goldman to be enticed by
Comment From I wanted to ask yo...
Devin really looks like he will be a solid vertical threat and a guy who would fit our offense well

Tim Yotter:
Can you rephrase this question with which team you are referring to?

Dave-Te' Thomas
I think teams are going to back off on Beckham until round 2/3. The Josh Gordon is a classic reason why the Sooner/Tiger castoff is making GMs nervous
Comment From john
do you see Noah Spence getting drafted?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Whatever team gets Devin Smith gets a winner-check this out 38.5-yd average on 12 TDs this year, 35.2 avg on all TDs for his career. If he scores, the team wins, as OSU has a 22-0 record with Smith reaching the end zone

Dave-Te' Thomas
Yes, but I think teams are getting to the point where they will tread cautiously with off-field guys
Comment From Bears fan
Who at this moment do you feel would be a good selection at 7th overall for Chicago?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Not only did Spence kill his early round stock, he's still a guy without a position - reason he was taken out often in passing situations was poor coverage skills, making him an IFF LB guy

Dave-Te' Thomas
Same thing holds true for TCU castoff Devonte Fields

Dave-Te' Thomas
I feel they need an edge rusher, as McClellan has yet to pan out - I target either Ray or Fowler, but if I wait for round 2, Dupree could still be there
Comment From What role do you s...
whats your thoughts on qb Bryce Petty?? what round of the draft do you see him being selected?

Dave-Te' Thomas
As for Ray, if he is in a 3-4 scheme, they play him much like Bill does with Jamie Collins in NE. If it is a 4-3 system, they use him like Seattle does with Irvin.
Petty is a good pickup in the 3rd round area

Dave-Te' Thomas
Petty has a great arm, but questionable decisions at times. I think teams see him more as an athletic type in the Jake Locker mold rather than a tactician
Comment From Inside LB seems we...
Any thoughts on offensive tackles that would convert well to offensive guards?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Speaking of Baylor, puzzled that Oakman decided to go back to school

Dave-Te' Thomas
Yes, I agree, the MLB spot is lacking, but I like McKinley the best followed by Perryman. Sleeper there is the little guy, Malone-Oregon. As for OTs, moving insdie is a better spot for Collins-LSU, Drango-Baylor, Robinson-South Carolina & Clark-Texas Tech
Comment From Just saw that Dori...
Where would you rank Dante Fowler? His versatility is something teams will have to really like.

Dave-Te' Thomas
one sleeper for the OL would be moving Minnesota's NT Bottecelli to OG-think he has a better future there

Dave-Te' Thomas
Me? I'd stay way from Green-Beckham. I'm in St Lou & know his long history with trouble dating back to before HS - just think Josh Gordon on & off the field with him

Dave-Te' Thomas
Fowler is versatile, but runs hot & cold. Still, he's a round 1 guy, but think Dupree brings better package in run containment
Comment From Chad J
What do you perceive as the Denver Broncos biguest personnel weakness and will that translate to the first round?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Free safety, running back 7 the right side of the OL worry me in Denver, but think if McKinley slides, they plug him in at ILB
Comment From JBrowner47
Devante Parker or Kevin White? Which one and why?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Also for Denver-they are showing strong interest in Wash castoff CB Peters & if Thomas leaves via FA, Devin Funchess could get a look but as a WR

Dave-Te' Thomas
White has great physicality to his game, much like Jordy Nelson & I like guys that are cut blockers in the open field. Parker can flat out fly, but has a bit of C Patterson in his route running (inconsistent). White is my choice there, but still say the sleeper at WR is OSU's Smith
Comment From Do you think Devin...
What do you think about the perspective opppertunity of Parker and Bridgewater teaming up again?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Also, I am NOT a Montgomery-Stanford fan

Dave-Te' Thomas
Back to my comment on Patterson, but do think Spielman wants him. All that will change id ND OT Ron Stanley declares - Walter Jones clone there

Dave-Te' Thomas
If Minny gets Parker to go with Patterson & Bridgewater, no truth Spielman paints the end zone with checkerboards!
Comment From jblackman77
I think Beasley will be a good pick to replace Levy on the Lions in 2016, cap casualty if they sign Suh to mega deal. No money left for Levy. I did like Oakman to the Lions as SDE.

Dave-Te' Thomas
No WR in this draft can beat the press better than Devin Smith - feel real sorry for Eric Dargan who has to cover him in the title clash

Dave-Te' Thomas
C'Mon Beasley? The D'qwan Bowers of the 2015 draft? Kid does 1 thing & one thing only - pass rush. My grandaughter can run over him on a rushing attempt

Tim Yotter
Hopefully your granddaughter isn't dating yet :-)

Dave-Te' Thomas
Look at Beasley's whole numbers. In matter of fact, I have a comparison chart that I have after the regular season on why Ray & Thompson are better studs- will send to Scout this week
Comment From Do you think Devin...
What are your evaluation of Shaq Thompson

Dave-Te' Thomas
She's 5 Tim, but knows how to keep pads low running between tackles

Tim Yotter
OK, will take her off my draft radar ...

Dave-Te' Thomas
Thompson, the best ayhlete in the draft - smart like Derrick Brooks, but OMG, can he be another Darren Woodson if they'd only let him be a natural safety!!

Dave-Te' Thomas
Thompson won't yum-yum eat em up going for the QB, but he's a major disruptor on the field
Comment From Ram
Can Benardrick McKinney play all downs as a ILB in a 43?

Dave-Te' Thomas
In a 4-3, I put McKinley at SOLB instead - I like the way he flows to the ball, reminds me of former Colt Duane Bickett in that area
Comment From What role do you s...
really think La'el Collins would make a stud g in the nfl how high could you see him being selected?

Dave-Te' Thomas
One ILB I like that I feel will emerge in all star games-Anthony-Clemson

Dave-Te' Thomas
Two late round finds at MLB-Luc from Cincy & Vigil at Utah State

Dave-Te' Thomas
Ray is going to make life hard for folks as a strongside OLB in a 3-4 scheme, with his Connor Barwin like athleticism.
Yes, Collins has great feet to trap & pull. I see him mid riound 1, but possibly higher. Rams think he can be the LOG with Robinson staying at left tackle & Jake Long going to the retirement home
Comment From Pixburger
Which cornerbacks would fit best into the Steelers' defensive scheme?

Dave-Te' Thomas
First, they need to blow up the defense & change their scheme - man coverage no longer works in this league. They need to address the front 7 first & then OLB, but look for Ike Taylor, Polomalu & probably Cortez Allen no longer Steelers. They have a sleeper in Blake, but Rollins-Miami, Ohio & Eric Rowe-Utah would be nice finds in round 3/4 area
Comment From What is your evalu...
Who do think is the best cover corner in this years draft?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Heard they were interested (Pitt) in Collins-LSU as a CB & not as a safety also

Dave-Te' Thomas
Shaq Thompson is a certain top 10 guy & one I feel NE will try to trade up for to plant at weakside OLB, but feel he has Darren Woodson like safety ability. The best cover corner is the kid out of Michigan State Trae Waynes - love his glue-like stick-to-it with the WRs
Comment From Binky
Which Oregon DE do you like better, Arik Armstead or DeForest Buckner? And why?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Buckner is what the Giants wish Kiawanka would have become. I prefer Armstead in a 4-3 system as a DT & not enamored by his lateral agility. Still, both work in unison well, but Buckner has that cannibal-like attitude when he gets in the backfield & those long arms are going to bring done a tone of unsuspecting ball carriers
Comment From Bevan Coulopoulos
What are you thoughts on Peters from Washington?

Dave-Te' Thomas
I really think Buckner is thee better of the 2 & his pressures on the pocket free up LBS Malone & Washington to really control the second level

Dave-Te' Thomas
Peters - prime candidate for Anger Management classes - another Talib - good that he is that on the field, but that he lacks maturity & he's going to cost a team with foolish penalties
Comment From Ray
anything on Denzel Perryman?

Dave-Te' Thomas
I think when a position coach in the NFL calls Washington & talks to present & past coaches, Peters will still be on the draft board in round 2

Dave-Te' Thomas
Perryman is a Jon Beason clone & I would not go home crying if he was my mike guy. He's going off the board in round 2, but likely after McKinley
Comment From ME MA
Is there a running back in this draft worth the 11th pick?

Dave-Te' Thomas
I also like Ramik Wilson & Eric Kendricks in the middle - round 3

Dave-Te' Thomas
In this day & age of needing 2 RBs, I feel the draft by committee approach is best at RB. Gordon will be the first to go, but not until the 20s area
Comment From JTL
Is Denzell Perryman tall enough to play ILB in a 4-3?

Dave-Te' Thomas
Here's a RB that is perfect for Minny to team with McKinnon-Langford-Michigan State round 3

Dave-Te' Thomas
However, if Coleman is around in the second round, he's a lot like an old Jet Freeman McNeil. Look for Louisville's Dominique Brown to be a late round find if he is healthy

Dave-Te' Thomas
actually, in a 4-3, I like the 511-600 type of guys in the middle - look at Ray Lewis & Mike Singletary - low to the ground & able to slip through piles - that's Perryman
Comment From Binky
Are there any 2nd-3rd round QBs that you think are legitimate prospects? Maybe not start right away but could develop into genuine long-term solutions?

Dave-Te' Thomas
In a 3-4, I like 6:03 guys at strongside ILB & the shorter dudes on the weak side

Dave-Te' Thomas
Maybe not round 2/3, but the best value on Day 3 at QB is the Nevada kid Cody Fajardo. Round 5/6, I'd look at South alabama's Brandon Bridge, but I'm not crazy on the QB class

Dave-Te' Thomas
If his shoulder heals, Nate Sudfeld-Indiana is the best pure passer in college for 2015
Comment From jblackman77
Is Stephon Anthony a 3 down Mike LB or a 2 down thumper, I like him in 4th or 5th round to the Lions, thanks for letting us pic your brain.

Dave-Te' Thomas
JBlackman, I LUV you, Anthony is one ofd my faves - reminds me of David Harris in his prime. I think all the press ink got to Beasley & Crawford, but it was Anthony that was the Tigers D glue. Watch the way he roams the sidelines. He made 10 TD-saving tackles this year out of position, most for any LB in the ACC
Comment From SFVikeFan
Who would be an ideal fit for SS for Vikings & Zimmer's scheme?

Dave-Te' Thomas
You got him-Blanton. Draft wise? Go small college round 3 for Samford's Jaquiski Tartt, as he also has starting experience at FS & I like interchangeable parts in the zone
Comment From Shane
thought on Gerod Holliman

Dave-Te' Thomas
Just a gut feeling, but I think GB could lose a great safety if they let Hyde bolt

Dave-Te' Thomas
Blip on Stephone Anthony
All media attention has been accorded Tigers rush end Vic Beasley, but Anthony is regarded by the staff and team- mates as the defensive unit’s true MVP. Having started 36 times during his 52-game career, Anthony is the team’s active leader with 329 total tackles, the 23rd-best figure for major college players that competed in 2014. His 210 solo stops also rank ninth and 34.5 stops-for-loss placed tied for 15th among active FBS performers.
Anthony stepped into the starting lineup during the second half of his sophomore season, as he tallied 77 tackles that year. He followed with a career-high 132 hits in 2013, totaling 13.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage on the way to All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. Again named to the All-ACC team in 2014, he led the Tigers with 89 tackles, coming up with 10.5 stops-for-loss, as four of his eleven QB pressures resulted in turnovers.
Anthony is a very athletic defender, showing the hip swerve and flexibility you find in a player that some teams might feel will be more advantageous as a weak-side outside linebacker, rather than performing as a classic middle linebacker. He shows suddenness in his initial move off the ball and gets to top speed quickly. He is very quick coming off the snap, staying low in his pads while generating quick lateral movements to string the plays wide. He has the natural ability to always anticipate the flow of the ball.
Anthony is a solid wrap-up tackler who extends his arms properly to stalk and secure. He is the type that collides with ball carriers upon initial contact and has the strength to shed blocks and stay on the ball. He shows ease of movement getting to the ball when working in space. He has the leg drive and strength to get the ball carrier on the ground instantly. He takes no wasted steps in transition and is quick to turn coming out of his backpedal. He flips his hips properly and plays at a good pad level. He shows no stiffness in his turns and this allows him to drop off quickly.

Dave-Te' Thomas
14 INTs make him a great ball thief, but there is too much cushion in his coverage & like Beasley being enamored with the sack, Holliman was more interested in the pick than in tackling. They averaged 6.88 yards per running play vs. him & he gave up 45% of passes into his area

Dave-Te' Thomas
Anyone a tight end fan? Try pulling up UMass tape- they got a Julius Thomas clone there in Jean Sifrin

Dave-Te' Thomas
DEVIN SMITH FOR THE SCORE!!!
Smith, one of nine players in the major college ranks to average at least 20 yards per catch in 2014, leads that group with a 27.69-yard average, more than 3.5 yards per grab more than the second-place finisher. With four different players tossing passes to him since he arrived for 2014 fall drills, he’s made the most of limited passes targeted to him, hauling in 32-of-41 targeted tosses (78.05%), as just six players in the country had more than his 12 touchdown grabs. His percentage of receptions for touchdowns (30-of-120) is 25.00%, the highest rate for an FBS player since Kevin Williams of Southern California set the major college standard of 35.29% (24 touchdowns on 68 receptions; 1977-80). He also holds the Big Ten all-time mark with a career average gain of 19.76 yards per catch.
Smith is just the second player in school history to average at least 20 yards per reception three times in a career – averaging 21.0 yards with four scores on 14 snatches as a freshman, followed by a 20.6-yard mark on 30 grabs that included six touchdowns in 2012. Eight of his 44 receptions produced touchdowns in 2013 and his 12 scoring catches in 2014 ranks third-best on the school season-record chart.

Dave-Te' Thomas
Bit of info on McKINNEY
It does not matter which of three linebacker positions he plays – McKinney will produce at a high level. The team’s leading tackler with 61 hits, including eight behind the line of scrimmage this year. Rated the top middle linebacker eligible for the 2015 draft, he is expected to declare for the draft shortly after MSU plays in the Orange Bowl. Becoming a top-flight linebacker was not the original plan when the youngster joined the Mississippi State program. McKinney was a big and physical, dual-threat quarterback with a live arm and good productivity coming out of high school. He could throw on the run and improvise out of the pocket, but with his good blend of size and athleticism, along with his height, large frame and impressive straight-line speed, linebacker became the position his coaches chose for him.
McKinney made a rapid transition, ranking eighth in the SEC with 102 tackles as a freshman, adding 70 hits with seven stops-for-loss last season. He’s manned the middle position, but most scouts feel that his quickness and lateral agility are better suited for rush end or strong-side outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme at the next level, thanks to his quickness and lateral agility.

Tim Yotter
OK, that will do it for today. We'll continue to have these chats on Scout.com throughout the coming months leading up to the draft. We will continue to roll out Dave-Te's rankings and analysis in the coming weeks, then head to the Senior Bowl. Thanks for joining and all the questions. I know there were a lot of questions left behind, but please come back with them in future chats. Have a great day!

Hopes for this offseason:
Polamalu, Taylor, Harrison, and Keisel retire so we don't have to let them go and we don't have to see them play for another team. Keisel and Harrison played well this year but it's better to let players go a bit early than a bit late. Polamalu and Taylor have lost a step this year. Polamalu made a bunch of tackles, but he didn't defend many passes and was frequently caught out of position on his gambles which didn't turn into many turnovers or sacks. Another reason is that Mitchell plays much better across from a traditional safety rather than a roving one. Without the chemistry Troy had with Clark, our secondary can't handle the roving as well. Taylor was just too slow to keep up.

Resign Moats, Johnson and McCain if possible to reasonable contracts.

Sign secondary help, preferably Byron Maxwell from Seattle to a reasonable 4-5 year deal. Back load the deal with a medium-high amount of guaranteed money. Some teams might offer more money overall, but players nowadays are going for deals with larger guarantees so we might be able to entice him.

Sign Ben, Decastro, and Beachum to extensions. Keep that young offensive line together. There's going to be a drastic increase in the cap in coming years and player salaries are going to jump up. If we can lock down our 4 youngest offensive linemen before that happens, we'll have an excellent corps to protect Ben during the last stage of his career.

Cut Cam Thomas. We can get cheaper/better depth, and Heyward and Tuitt are going to be the starters next year.

For the Draft:

Draft a pass rusher or cornerback with the first pick. Those are our two biggest needs and should align with BPA. Overall from the 7 picks in the draft we could use 2 OLBs, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 RB. Draftek has Shane Ray falling due to other teams' needs, right now I doubt that would happen but would be happy if it did. We'll see how the combine shakes out, but the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl often are better for finding talented players over talented athletes.

Hopes for this offseason:

Polamalu, Taylor, Harrison, and Keisel retire so we don't have to let them go and we don't have to see them play for another team. Keisel and Harrison played well this year but it's better to let players go a bit early than a bit late. Polamalu and Taylor have lost a step this year. Polamalu made a bunch of tackles, but he didn't defend many passes and was frequently caught out of position on his gambles which didn't turn into many turnovers or sacks. Another reason is that Mitchell plays much better across from a traditional safety rather than a roving one. Without the chemistry Troy had with Clark, our secondary can't handle the roving as well. Taylor was just too slow to keep up.

Resign Moats, Johnson and McCain if possible to reasonable contracts.

Sign secondary help, preferably Byron Maxwell from Seattle to a reasonable 4-5 year deal. Back load the deal with a medium-high amount of guaranteed money. Some teams might offer more money overall, but players nowadays are going for deals with larger guarantees so we might be able to entice him.

Sign Ben, Decastro, and Beachum to extensions. Keep that young offensive line together. There's going to be a drastic increase in the cap in coming years and player salaries are going to jump up. If we can lock down our 4 youngest offensive linemen before that happens, we'll have an excellent corps to protect Ben during the last stage of his career.

Cut Cam Thomas. We can get cheaper/better depth, and Heyward and Tuitt are going to be the starters next year.

For the Draft:

Draft a pass rusher or cornerback with the first pick. Those are our two biggest needs and should align with BPA. Overall from the 7 picks in the draft we could use 2 OLBs, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 RB. Draftek has Shane Ray falling due to other teams' needs, right now I doubt that would happen but would be happy if it did. We'll see how the combine shakes out, but the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl often are better for finding talented players over talented athletes.
Excellent post.

Virgil Green is an awesome run blocker and criminally underused as a reciever
Both he and Thomas are UFAs. It's not going to totally surprise me if Denver lets Thomas walk and keeps Green instead. The difference in costs are going to be significant, plus if they start going more toward a run heavy attack as Peyton winds down his career...

I think they'd probably like to retain both, but can see Thomas getting a big offer from some team with more money than sense. Like him well enough, but his ankles are made out of papier-mâché eggshells.

Virgil Green is an awesome run blocker and criminally underused as a reciever
Both he and Thomas are UFAs. It's not going to totally surprise me if Denver lets Thomas walk and keeps Green instead. The difference in costs are going to be significant, plus if they start going more toward a run heavy attack as Peyton winds down his career...

I think they'd probably like to retain both, but can see Thomas getting a big offer from some team with more money than sense. Like him well enough, but his ankles are made out of papier-mâché eggshells.
I've been sort of thinking that about Thomas from a fantasy standpoint. As a fan though I think Green could step in and be a moderately priced guy that will be a great addition to the run game and may offer the passing game a lot more than what he has been allowed to do at this point in his career. So I would be pleased if the Steelers took a stab at him. Is he a RFA or a UFA?

We need a TE imo.
If we draft one it should be no sooner than the 3rd round, there just doesn't look to be a talent worth a 1st or 2nd round pick that is great at both blocking and receiving. There are several who should be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds who are decent at both and could be starting quality TEs in the NFL though.

Only one I'd disagree with of the 4 "old" vets is Harrison. Obviously he can still turn it on. Not sure he'll want to come back though. Think it's obvious they'll not bring Cam Thomas back; he played 6 snaps week 17. That's not going to cut it when your 2015 salary is $2M.

2014 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Khaled Elsayed | January 8, 2015

#8. Pittsburgh Steelers

Pass Blocking Ranking: 3rd, Run Blocking Ranking: 11th, Penalties Ranking: 17th

Stud: You don’t often hear the name Kelvin Beachum mentioned, but the former seventh-round pick has developed into an excellent tackle, finishing fifth overall in our left tackle rankings.

Dud: How close are the Steelers to pulling the plug on the Mike Adams experiment? The backup lineman was forced into playing 372 snaps and garnered a team-worst -14.5 grade from them.

Breakdown: It’s taken some years but the Steelers have transformed from one of the worst lines in the league to one of the best. Young talent has come through and delivered, with Beachum, Marcus Gilbert and David DeCastro all grading positively. Special mention for Maurkice Pouncey who is finally playing up to a level close to the hype he has received his entire career.

3C said:
Only one I'd disagree with of the 4 "old" vets is Harrison. Obviously he can still turn it on. Not sure he'll want to come back though. Think it's obvious they'll not bring Cam Thomas back; he played 6 snaps week 17. That's not going to cut it when your 2015 salary is $2M.
Harrison seemed to leave the door open to possibly returning in 2015.

3C said:
My main worry is that he'll get through half the season and get hurt like Keisel. If he could play as well as he did for the 2nd half of the season, then I'd be happy to have him back. It's a very rare thing for someone his age to still be a solid contributor as a pass rusher.

3C said:
My main worry is that he'll get through half the season and get hurt like Keisel. If he could play as well as he did for the 2nd half of the season, then I'd be happy to have him back. It's a very rare thing for someone his age to still be a solid contributor as a pass rusher.
He's a freak of nature though.

steelers1080 said:
We need a TE imo.
If we draft one it should be no sooner than the 3rd round, there just doesn't look to be a talent worth a 1st or 2nd round pick that is great at both blocking and receiving. There are several who should be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds who are decent at both and could be starting quality TEs in the NFL though.
yeah I meant to say offense looks good this should be a defensive draft but we are not set at te. I love Heath but his age is starting to show

Really hope this is The Bus' year.
I'm thinking he gets the middle finger again. They put in, what, five?

Seau's a mortal lock. Pace is probably close to one too.

So, who are the other three? Haley has the rings and production to be there. Eternal bridesmaid Tim Brown? Harrison(he probably goes in before Tim, at this point)? "St. Dungy"? Warner?

JB has the numbers and a ring. Deserves to be there, and will get in eventually, but I don't have a great feeling for '15. Think we'll see at least one of Harrison or Dungy make it, and I think we'll see Warner elected too(not saying I agree with it, saying I think it's what will happen. Hell, I'd put in Coryell before him/several of the other guys on the waiting list, including Dungy).

My prediction:

1. Seau

2. Pace

3. Haley

4. Dungy/Harrison

5. Warner

Bettis continues to wait with Brown and Shields.

5-ish Finkle said:
Idiot Boxer said:
Really hope this is The Bus' year.
I'm thinking he gets the middle finger again. They put in, what, five?

Seau's a mortal lock. Pace is probably close to one too.

So, who are the other three? Haley has the rings and production to be there. Eternal bridesmaid Tim Brown? Harrison(he probably goes in before Tim, at this point)? "St. Dungy"? Warner?

JB has the numbers and a ring. Deserves to be there, and will get in eventually, but I don't have a great feeling for '15. Think we'll see at least one of Harrison or Dungy make it, and I think we'll see Warner elected too(not saying I agree with it, saying I think it's what will happen. Hell, I'd put in Coryell before him/several of the other guys on the waiting list, including Dungy).

My prediction:

1. Seau

2. Pace

3. Haley

4. Dungy/Harrison

5. Warner

Bettis continues to wait with Brown and Shields.
I had to check to be sure since I knew it was all who get at least 80% of the vote. Minimum of 4, max of 7.

1.Junior

2. Pace

3. Warner

4. Dungy

5. Harrision

6. Polian

7. Tinglehoff

ETA: correction, it appears to be 5 modern day finalists. 7 max probably includes the contributor and senior finalists.

Not sure Warner was good enough for HOF. See him as an on the fence guy mostly because of how late he got his shot. The Bus almost made it last year, this year could bump him in except people are against adding more Steelers to the HOF.

Users who are viewing this thread