What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Time to fire up a new thread. Looks like we got a new head coach coming to Oakland. Welcome aboard Jack Del Rio!

Before I go further, I was hoping somebody would volunteer for the OP, because I know my opinions and views have been in the minority on a lot of issues regarding the nation, and that's ok frankly. We can agree to disagree at times. But we still are one nation. The only nation. Come one, come all. Raider Nation is on the rise in 2015.

Happy New Year!

First off, best of luck to Raiders fans...you guys/gals deserve better than what you have been getting this past decade. On another note, I am curious about the Del Rio hire. Not terrible, but I thought there was better out there. The biggest concern is how he rubbed a lot of players in Jax the wrong way. Maybe he learned during his time off as a HC the impact he had, but he could be in trouble if he comes in there too hard-nosed.

@JoshDubowAP: Terrance Knighton to AP's @arniestapleton recently: "I want to be wherever Jack is. I'll just leave it at that." #Raiders

There's your first free agent signing. Thanks Jack!

Christopher Hansen retweeted
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago
Oakland Raiders now have hired HC Jack Del Rio, as @mortreport reported they would.

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 2m2 minutes ago
Done deal.

Scott Bair ‏@BairCSN 34s34 seconds ago
NFL sources have confirmed to me + @FallonSmithCSN that Raiders and Jack Del Rio have agreed to terms on a contract. @AdamSchefter was first

@JeffDarlington: Madden's role in Raiders' decision to hire Del Rio was big, even bigger than GM Reggie McKenzie. Madden ultimately decided against Sparano.

@RichGannon12: Congratulations to my former teammate & new OAK HC Jack Del Rio! I know he will bring toughness, leadership & accountability to the Raiders!

@JoshDubowAP: RT @SiriusXMNFL: Mark Dominik: Jack Del Rio is a very good hire for the @Raiders. He brings stability, toughness and past success.

@BairCSN: #Raiders press conference to introduce Jack Del Rio is set for Friday.

@ChrisHansenNFL: #Raiders delaying Del Rio's presser so he can focus on putting staff together for next 36 hours.

First off, best of luck to Raiders fans...you guys/gals deserve better than what you have been getting this past decade. On another note, I am curious about the Del Rio hire. Not terrible, but I thought there was better out there. The biggest concern is how he rubbed a lot of players in Jax the wrong way. Maybe he learned during his time off as a HC the impact he had, but he could be in trouble if he comes in there too hard-nosed.
I love the fact that he knows the division inside-out. We might actually slow down Rivers and Manning.

@RapSheet: The #Raiders want to talk to #Falcons OL coach Mike Tice… but Atlanta is denying permission, source says. They want to keep him

Are the Raiders a Hard Knocks possibility this year? If so I'm in favor of you guys getting Tice somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
@BWilliamsonESPN: Keeping hearing Trestman for OC, but he is talking to Browns. Hearing Kyle Shanahan could interesting to Del Rio. Lots of moving parts here.

@JasonLaCanfora: If John Fox gets Bears job I'd very much expect Dennis Allen and Kyle Shanahan to be his coordinators. Sounds like a strong package to me

Poor Bears fans. Oooof!

If Raiders get Trestman, to go with JDR & Mike Smith, that's an exciting combo, if only for the brains and leadership. Total change. They should keep Sparano somehow too.

But if Murray and Carr line up with Trestman, that's really good news, especially Murray.

Really looking forward to see who JDR brings in to form the coaching staff. Wonder how long it will take for the pieces to fall into place. I'm in the same court as Mass - first thing I thought of when I heard the Raiders request to interview Tice was denied was - what if if the new coaching staff doesn't want Tice? The Falcons are standing in the way of opportunities for Tice that might not be around this time next week...

I would be happy with Trestman OC, Mike Smith DC and keeping DeFilippo as QB coach- fill in the pieces from there.

Trestman supposedly interviewing to be Browns OC. Like most here I really hope he comes back to the Raiders.

ICON211 said:
Trestman supposedly interviewing to be Browns OC. Like most here I really hope he comes back to the Raiders.
After dealing with Cutler the last 2 years gotta wonder if Manziel is really the direction Trestman wants to go

massraider said:
LawFitz said:
Faust said:
The only names on that list that excite me are Demaryius and Knighton. I'd rather have Knighton at a discount than Suh. Knighton and Jelly could be JDR's new version of Stroud/Henderson. Those Jaguar Ds (like most good run Ds) were built around stud DTs.
I'd add Rahim Moore and Julius.

You wouldn't take Julius Thomas?
I am not so sure about Julius, he is clearly talented but I think he may be overrated based upon an insane career TD:Catch ratio (particularly last season). Guys like Gronk and Graham catch TDs at about a 15% clip over the past two seasons whereas Thomas is at 22% over the last two years.

Like him a lot but I think he will be overpaid.

I love the idea of Knighton coming over, more than Suh particularly for the price. Demaryius Thomas feels like a pipe dream but would be worth overpaying for if Oakland could land him.

Rahim Moore would be a nice addition too.

Trestman would be nice but what if it turns out to be Musgrave (a distinct possibility)?

And has Mike Smith signed or is that just a hope right now too?

They would both be great additions, and seem very possible, but there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

Why is everyone so excited about Mike Smith? He's supposed to be this defensive guru, yet his Atlanta defense ranked 27th in 2013 and dead last this season. And most disturbing of all, he wears dad-sandals.

Pass.

All i can recall from JDR Smith in Jax was a solid D. To go with a decent running game on O.

Is there any connection between JDR and Vic Fangio?

massraider said:
LawFitz said:
Faust said:
The only names on that list that excite me are Demaryius and Knighton. I'd rather have Knighton at a discount than Suh. Knighton and Jelly could be JDR's new version of Stroud/Henderson. Those Jaguar Ds (like most good run Ds) were built around stud DTs.

I am not so sure about Julius, he is clearly talented but I think he may be overrated based upon an insane career TD:Catch ratio (particularly last season). Guys like Gronk and Graham catch TDs at about a 15% clip over the past two seasons whereas Thomas is at 22% over the last two years.

Like him a lot but I think he will be overpaid.

I love the idea of Knighton coming over, more than Suh particularly for the price. Demaryius Thomas feels like a pipe dream but would be worth overpaying for if Oakland could land him.

Rahim Moore would be a nice addition too.
I like what we have in Riveria at TE, so pass on Julius. I would make a play for Demaryius with all of the cap space we have instead of using our first rounder on a WR (Cooper?). Shore up the OL or the D instead with that pick ... The future looks bright, just hope we can actually get it together for once ...

Last edited by a moderator:
massraider said:

Not at the price he's going to command. Julius a decent player, but I suspect a good deal of his success the last couple years had to do with Manning and that offense.

Rahim is an average to slightly above average safety IMO.

I wouldn't hate seeing either guy come over if the price was right, but neither excites me anywhere near the idea of Demaryius or Pot Roast in black.

I like what we have in Riveria at TE, so pass on Julias. I would make a play for Demaryius with all of the cap space we have instead of using our first rounder on a WR (Cooper?). Shore up the OL or the D instead with that pick ... The future looks bright, just hope we can actually get it together for once ...
Agree 100%. If the donks don't franchise Demaryius we should pay the guy top-5 WR money to come over. Giving Carr a legit WR1 would be huge. And WRs are harder to project coming out of college than OL/DL IMO, so I think the odds are better for us if we find a viable alternative plan to Amari at #4.

I think we need to forget about WRs that aren't going anywhere. Dez and DT aren't available.

Maclin, Torrey, maybe Cobb?

As far as Julius, yeah, he may be overpaid, but this team and QB looks like a WCO, and tight end is big in that offense. We need another

I think we need to forget about WRs that aren't going anywhere. Dez and DT aren't available.

As far as Julius, yeah, he may be overpaid, but this team and QB looks like a WCO, and tight end is big in that offense. We need another
I think you're right, Dez and DT will not even hit the market. Rivera is a decent TE, but Julius is a matchup nightmare and this team needs to add good receivers wherever they can be it WR or TE. It's ok to "overpay" every so often especially with this much cap room.

Why is everyone so excited about Mike Smith? He's supposed to be this defensive guru, yet his Atlanta defense ranked 27th in 2013 and dead last this season. And most disturbing of all, he wears dad-sandals.

Pass.
I wouldn't say that people should be thrilled about Smith but when he had some talent on defense to work with he put together some solid defenses. Three times in five seasons he put together top five scoring defenses, of course he had Henderson and Stroud at DT. He put together only two top five scoring defenses in Atlanta in seven seasons but they never had as much talent on that side of the ball.

Smith strikes me as a JDR type himself, solid but unspectacular and Raider fans should be just as excited about him as they are about JDR. Maybe if JDR has grown as a coach then Smith can focus on just the defensive side of the ball he can put together a solid product on the field as well.

I think you're right, Dez and DT will not even hit the market. Rivera is a decent TE, but Julius is a matchup nightmare and this team needs to add good receivers wherever they can be it WR or TE. It's ok to "overpay" every so often especially with this much cap room.
Julius scares me, he has been catching TDs at a 22% clip the past two seasons. The very best TEs (Graham and Gronk) catch TDs at around a 15% clip. I know Manning had a lot of targets and was great at distributing the ball but, in general, guys who put up a lot of TDs on limited opportunities have a big red flag on them in my eyes.

What I am about to type could obviously be mostly due to scheme and I recognize that: His catch % is also kind of high relative to those other guys 71% compared to Graham & Gronk (62% & 67%) while his YPR is lower which makes me wonder if he truly has similar athletic ability and is really such a match-up nightmare or if he ran safer routes to make up for his limitations. Again that could merely be due to scheme but if he was such a match-up nightmare then I would expect him to be utilized a bit more aggressively.

I agree that it is okay to overpay but I would rather see them do it on more proven commodities.

Agreed. I like Maclin and Cobb but even if they got one of them I would still very strongly consider Cooper in the draft. The offense isn't just one WR away and the O-line looks much, much stronger then the WR corps.

Fair enough. I like Maclin. I hate Torrey. And I love Cobb.

But none of them are legit NFL WR1 receivers IMO, so if that's the kind of $$$ they'd demand, I'd probably pass (except maybe for Cobb).

Users who are viewing this thread