What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hau'oli Kikaha (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
This guy is the anti-Clowney. None stop motor and left it all on the field this year. Now Tony Pauline is predicting that he go undrafted because of medical red flags and lack of next level athleticism. I really hope Pauline is wrong. (It wouldn't be the first time) This kid deserves better.

First of all great post.

About this...

As per usual Pauline's view not shared by NFL teams.
...is there a link for anything besides these?

I took a lot of heat after listing Hau’Oli Kikaha as a free agent and falling out of the draft’s seven rounds a few weeks ago. At the combine I learned a number of teams have taken Kikaha off their board because of medical red flags and the lack of next level athleticism.
I guess he just listed him as predicted to go undrafted.

CBS - Rang:

Edge rusher: Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington
Like fellow Pac-12 competitor Parry, the key with Kikaha is placing him in a role in which he can win. A former judo champion and wrestler, Kikaha is effective off the edge because he uses his powerful, active hands to chop through blockers' attempts to latch onto him. He is quicker than fast and lacks ideal flexibility and awareness in coverage but if allowed to simply rush the quarterback, Kikaha (who led the nation with 19 sacks last season) will outplay his likely Day 3 selection.
CBS - Zierlien:

Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, WashingtonThe skinny: He has something to prove from a medical standpoint, as he has a history of knee issues. He's the most accomplished pure pass rusher in the 2015 draft, but there are some questions about his athletic ability. Is his outstanding production a result of effort or does he have the athleticism to do it at the next level?
NFL.com:

Hau'oli Kikaha, LB, WashingtonMeasurables: 6-2 3/8, 253.
Skinny: Kikaha was incredibly productive for the Huskies, leading the nation with 19 sacks this season and finishing his career with 36 sacks and 51.5 tackles for loss. But read any analysis about Kikaha, and there's no mention of high-level athleticism; instead, analysts laud his grit, determination and high-revving motor. While he does have a proven ability to get to the quarterback, teams are leery of his perceived lack of athleticism and that he has had two ACL surgeries. He doesn't have to run as fast as Vic Beasley or Dante Fowler Jr. But his stock will take a hit if he puts up mediocre numbers.
Pro day: April 2.
RW:

Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha didn't run the 40-yard dash Sunday because he was sick before coming to the combine.
Kikaha performed all of the drills and will run at the Huskies' pro day in March. Analysts continue to fall all over the place on Kikaha's value. TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline grades him as an undrafted free agent, believing Danny Shelton freed Kikaha up to accrue stats, while Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks the edge rusher as the No. 28 overall prospect in the class. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Kikaha had 19 sacks, 73 tackles and two forced fumbles in 2014.

NFL Media believes Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha must show improved athleticism at his pro day workout.
Kikaha (6-foot-2 3/8, 253 pounds) led the nation with 19 sacks last season and had 36 sacks and 51.5 tackles for loss across his career. Despite that mind-numbing productivity, many evaluators are stuck by the lack of athleticism they see on game film. "Instead, analysts laud his grit, determination and high-revving motor," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "While he does have a proven ability to get to the quarterback, teams are leery of his perceived lack of athleticism and that he has had two ACL surgeries. He doesn't have to run as fast as Vic Beasley or Dante Fowler Jr. But his stock will take a hit if he puts up mediocre numbers." Washington's pro day is on April 2.

Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha is one of only two players to record double-digit sacks in each of the past two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information's Sharon Katz.
The other was Vic Beasley, of course. Kikaha (6-foot-2 3/8, 253 pounds) led the nation with 19 sacks last season and had 36 sacks and 51.5 tackles for loss across his career. The 19 sacks were the third most by any player since 2000, trailing Arizona State's Terrell Suggs (24) and Louisville's Elvis Dumervil (20). "In fact, the list of year-by-year FBS leaders in sacks is filled with NFL All-Pros such as Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers, Von Miller, Suggs and Dumervil," wrote Katz. We like Kikaha as a late first-rounder, but it seems like he's going to tumble into Day 2 due to concerns about his athleticism and durability.

Source: ESPN Insider
With regards to Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha, NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney advised NFL front offices: "Take him so you don't face him."
"Kikaha isn't as fast or fluid as you like for an outside linebacker and not built to be defensive end, but his attention-getting physicality and non-stop determination not only wears on offenses, but sets tone for his own defense," Cooney wrote. Kikaha (6-foot-2 3/8, 253 pounds) led the nation with 19 sacks last season and had 36 sacks and 51.5 tackles for loss across his career. Opinions about where he should play at the next level vacillate between DE, OLB and even ILB. "I've heard about being developed into an inside linebacker," he said. "It's a possibility and I would love to be able to call defenses and kind of control what's going on within reason and kind of know everything because I want to develop into that kind of a player. But whatever teams want I will let them have it."

Source: CBS Sports

5/70. Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington, 6-2, 253, 4.74, 2-3That's ha-OH-lee KEY-kah-HA: His serious focus and determination may be reflected in fact he changed last name before 2013 season to Kikaha, his mother's maiden name, from Jimora, the last name of the father he didn't meet until age 16. Nothing has come easily for Kikaha, who moved all over the country as a child before settling in southern California. Even in college he had season-ending ACL injuries in 2011 and 2012. Even when he led the nation with 19 sacks last season, it was more the result of his relentless pursuit than startling speed or fancy moves. His 25 tackles for a loss was No. 2 in the nation.

Measuring up: April 2 pro day will be interesting because the flu prevented Kikaha from working out at Indianapolis combine. Regardless, scouts believe his productivity -- which is a notable 36 sacks in two seasons -- probably exceeds anything measured in a workout.

Notable quote: "I've heard about being developed into an inside linebacker. It's a possibility and I would love to be able to call defenses and kind of control what's going on within reason and kind of know everything because I want to develop into that kind of a player. But whatever teams want I will let them have it." -- Kikaha at combine, when asked if teams are mentioning various positions.

Frankly: Take him so you don't face him. Kikaha isn't as fast or fluid as you like for an outside linebacker and not built to be defensive end, but his attention-getting physicality and non-stop determination not only wears on offenses, but sets tone for his own defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints selected Washington OLB Hau'oli Kikaha with the No. 44 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Kikaha (6'2/253) was a unanimous first-team All-America pick in 2014, finishing his UW career as the Huskies' all-time leader in sacks (36) and piling up 51.5 TFLs with seven forced fumbles. Working against Kikaha in the NFL will be athletic deficiencies, as he ran 4.90 with a 34 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-4 broad jump at his Pro Day. He also tore his ACL twice in college. Described as a "hungry dog in the wild" by ESPN's Todd McShay, Kikaha's calling cards are his relentless motor and power rush. He also flashed an ability to bend the edge in college.
Kikaha has the ability to fill a John Abraham-like role, either standing up or with his hand on the ground...
- Yahoo

"He's a little more power and athleticism now than he is a polished player. But the upside is incredible with him. It's just not there quite yet."
- Russ Lande

Hau’oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington

Kikaha is a perfect example of the players I put on this list. He’s a guy I knew nothing about when I started watching film on him. Now, I think he might be the most natural pass rusher in the draft.

He’s not an explosive athlete the way some guys who went high in the draft are. But he’s a player who sacks the quarterback. He’s a fanatical effort player. He’s a lunatic – in a good way.

Kikaha can also drop into coverage or set the edge in the run game. He showed refined and polished hand usage for a college player, great body flexibility, and that allowed him to win quickly and use his closing burst to get to the quarterback.
- Cosell

Pauline's view seemed way out of whack, from predicted UDFA to 2nd round, borderline 1st round.

Haralson only had 3 sacks last year, 23 tackles. He will also be competing with Anthony Spencer and Ronald Powell. There is lots of opportunity opposite of Galette. I'd like to think that an Anthony Barr quality season, maybe 50 tackles, 5 sacks is possible.

PFF has him at 21 on their rookie IDP list, which is great considering they also have Stephone Anthony at no. 5.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/28/pre-draft-top-50-idp-rookies/

He has an MFL tag of LB instead of a DE which devalues him a bit (2pt per sack league). He ended up going undrafted in our rookie draft (6 rounds) and our league starts 3 DL and 3 LB.

However, our FA bidding started yesterday and he's already at a bid of $30 (FA budget is between $45 and $323 depending on the team).

My specific league but it might kind of show his general value. Something to go off of.

Saints placed OLB Anthony Spencer on injured reserve.
New Orleans will now rely on rookie Hau'oli Kikaha to pressure the quarterback.

rotoworld

Saints placed OLB Anthony Spencer on injured reserve.
New Orleans will now rely on rookie Hau'oli Kikaha to pressure the quarterback.

rotoworld
spencer just needs to give up the ghost as a pro player.

Kikaha will be asked to do a lot but i think he's got a good chance to be productive.

ugh.. I missed this thread (too much time in the pool)

I was lookin hard at this kid because of a combo (injury and bye)

Im guessin there might be sumpin better avilable in your 12 Team League, but its probably because of the number of starters/Bn..

This guy looks real on the stat page..

Hopefully Luke clears concussion to play this week..

But hopefully you guys dont miss out if hes available.. I was waiting on word and lost out lol

I don't believe 90% percent is low at all (Not for Big Play Leagues)

Ooof. Horrible news for a potential break out candidate.

I actually made some offers earlier this week for him.

Users who are viewing this thread