What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ex-Duke player Sulaimon was accused of sexual assault (1 Viewer)

sorry GPJ :bag:
It's OK, just taking pre-emptive action here. I don't really know anything about this beyond the Chronicle article, but it's a subject that should probably be treated with more gravity than what are Gonzaga's chances at a #1 seed, etc. etc.
I doubt much will come of it here in the FFA, but it's good to have it in it's own thread for updates. This crap sickens me. I wasn't a big fan of the way Michigan handled their situation that was similar to this (talked about it in the Michigan Football thread), and I don't like the way Duke's handling this (if what we are reading is accurate of course).

Smells like the Lacross scandal all over again. We know how that turned out. But let's jump the gun and crucify the program or K for wrong doing. Sounds about right for this place.

So when rumors (since there were no formal charges ever made) come out, should any school immediately kick that player off a team and ruin that players name and reputation without any proof, without any actual charges? No legal issues with that??

And if Sheed, or any college student for that matter assaulted someone, they should be prosecuted, without question.

Smells like the Lacross scandal all over again. We know how that turned out. But let's jump the gun and crucify the program or K for wrong doing. Sounds about right for this place.

So when rumors (since there were no formal charges ever made) come out, should any school immediately kick that player off a team and ruin that players name and reputation without any proof, without any actual charges? No legal issues with that??

And if Sheed, or any college student for that matter assaulted someone, they should be prosecuted, without question.
Whoa nelly. Chill. Seriously.

I think we all learned a lot from the LAX scandal to be honest. And I don't see people piling on here. Seems like a story that was presented as it is. Why the need for all the hyperbolic jumping ahead 5 steps?

The school should do what is legally required of them when these allegations are brought up and follow the Title IX guidelines. Coach K doesn't know what he should be investigating - that's why he (or others in the AD) need to refer them to the appropriate people. If that wasn't done, it's a big problem regardless of whether it turned out to be true or not.

Trying to see the other side here...

If no charges are filed, then kicking him off the team because of allegations opens up exposure to a situation similar to what the lacrosse team went through a few years ago. So I can see the argument for keeping him on the roster if he hasn't been accused of a crime.

The timing of the dismissal is still bothersome, though. It comes off as if the threshold of off-court malfeasance Coack K is willing to stomach is tied to how well the player is producing on the court. It's OK to have allegations swirling around you if you're sinking jump shots. But if you're going to have sexual assault allegations and shoot 1-for-6 from the floor in an important conference games, you're suddenly more trouble than you're worth.

Mostly I'm impressed Krzyzewski was able to keep a lid on this story for over a year. In the social media age its tough enough, but there's a lot of stakeholders who would benefit from a sexual assault scandal within the Duke basketball program. Gotta respect being able to keep this thing quiet for so long, even after dismissing the guy from the team.

Agreed. the fact thst this was apparently common knowledge around campus but never made it onto twitter is really strange.

Agreed. the fact thst this was apparently common knowledge around campus but never made it onto twitter is really strange.
I wonder if the lacrosse scandal at Duke a few years ago affected how the Duke student body reacted here.

Or is this a reflection of anti-"shaming"?

I don't know the answer and don't expect anyone her to, either. The whole thing is so strange. I don't get it.

Whoa nelly. Chill. Seriously.

I think we all learned a lot from the LAX scandal to be honest. And I don't see people piling on here. Seems like a story that was presented as it is. Why the need for all the hyperbolic jumping ahead 5 steps?
You don't have your Archer glasses on.....I'd suggest, you just let him go and don't talk directly to him. It's much more enjoyable that way, but you're right. Everything has had a lot of "ifs" in front of the statements. Most know the deal...just a few don't. They're the most special.

I don't see how these rumors stayed quiet in today's age.

Not sure what K is supposed to do with rumors though. No complaints were filed.

As for the final straw...I still hear Sheed got into an altercation with teammates after that game.

If no charges are filed, then kicking him off the team because of allegations opens up exposure to a situation similar to what the lacrosse team went through a few years ago. So I can see the argument for keeping him on the roster if he hasn't been accused of a crime.

The timing of the dismissal is still bothersome, though. It comes off as if the threshold of off-court malfeasance Coack K is willing to stomach is tied to how well the player is producing on the court. It's OK to have allegations swirling around you if you're sinking jump shots. But if you're going to have sexual assault allegations and shoot 1-for-6 from the floor in an important conference games, you're suddenly more trouble than you're worth.

Mostly I'm impressed Krzyzewski was able to keep a lid on this story for over a year. In the social media age its tough enough, but there's a lot of stakeholders who would benefit from a sexual assault scandal within the Duke basketball program. Gotta respect being able to keep this thing quiet for so long, even after dismissing the guy from the team.
Lots of folks made the same sort of comments during the Michigan football case as well. Personally, I'd want them off the team, but I get why they may want to keep him on the team. There is absolutely no justification for letting him to continue playing though.

Lots of folks made the same sort of comments during the Michigan football case as well. Personally, I'd want them off the team, but I get why they may want to keep him on the team. There is absolutely no justification for letting him to continue playing though.
Not so sure about that either. Allegations aren't proof. Especially with the recent spate of false claims on various campuses, I wouldn't necessarily want to react too hastily. Might have been best to be open about it, though. "These are the allegations. We're investigating them very seriously, but until such time as there is more concrete information, Rasheed will remain a valued member of the team. Etc. Etc. Etc."

I don't see how these rumors stayed quiet in today's age.

Not sure what K is supposed to do with rumors though. No complaints were filed.

As for the final straw...I still hear Sheed got into an altercation with teammates after that game.
Well to begin with, K is going to have to explain why he let Suliamon go when he did rather than in March of last year. Easy enough to come up with an explanation most likely, just fabricate some other problem, but he's still gonna have to get in front of the press and do it. And then he's going to have to answer questions as to why whatever happened in January was bad enough to dismiss him but the allegations and whatever he discovered when looked into them was not ...or even worse, he'll have to explain why he didn't look into them or demand that someone else at the school/athletic program didn't look into them.

Related to that- the university is also going to have to explain the compliance (or lack thereof) with the Title IX requirements for every employee that knew about the allegations, including both K and his assistants. That compliance is not dependent on the filing of complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Duke has an obligation to kick him off the team when the allegations were made - a year ago. But, they do have an obligation to investigate the allegations imo. They may have done that, I don't know - but that is where they will hurt themselves most - being aware of allegations and doing nothing. If that happened, no investigation or reporting from Coach K and staff, Coach K becomes just like Paterno - putting the program above the school.

It wasn't as "quiet" on campus as everyone seems to believe. I had heard rumblings about this from friends in Durham before he was "dismissed". It's why I made my initial comment about how Duke was going to spin this, because I don't think it's just coincidence. Of course, it could be, but there was really nothing to discuss as it was/is all rumor and speculation. So, one just has to sit back and shut up until it comes out. Everything will eventually. One thing I am confident of is he was not dismissed simply for being a meanie in the locker room.

Who is Arbymelt? He seemed to call this weeks ago when Suilamon was first kicked off.
My daughter goes to Duke and knows a few on the inside of this. Most of what I am reporting is very well known on campus. I'm just amazed it took a full month to come out. I've heard more, but I won't speculate for now.

Who is Arbymelt? He seemed to call this weeks ago when Suilamon was first kicked off.
My daughter goes to Duke and knows a few on the inside of this. Most of what I am reporting is very well known on campus. I'm just amazed it took a full month to come out. I've heard more, but I won't speculate for now.
It is an anonymous message board, we are amongst friends (and Archer), speculate away please...

as long as K informed his AD when the accusations where made, and I have to believe a coach with his knowledge and experience did just that, he has done exactly what the protocol says for Title IX. Now I can't speak for the next steps the AD is supposed to do, nor do I have any knowledge of what they did, but again, does anyone REALLY expect K to potentially tarnish his career for a player who is HARDLY a pet or favorite, a player that was kicked out of practice NUMEROUS times over the last 2 years? I mean, at least make the player a star like Okafor if you want to pretend he selfishly hid it for his gain. But for Sheed? Come on....you haters are reaching big time...

as long as K informed his AD when the accusations where made, and I have to believe a coach with his knowledge and experience did just that, he has done exactly what the protocol says for Title IX. Now I can't speak for the next steps the AD is supposed to do, nor do I have any knowledge of what they did, but again, does anyone REALLY expect K to potentially tarnish his career for a player who is HARDLY a pet or favorite, a player that was kicked out of practice NUMEROUS times over the last 2 years? I mean, at least make the player a star like Okafor if you want to pretend he selfishly hid it for his gain. But for Sheed? Come on....you haters are reaching big time...
That weird - I thought you and Jah and Sheed were best buds, and that you knew all the inner workings of the club...

Honestly, this is the part that reeks as far as I'm concerned:

A former affiliate of the Duke basketball program, who was with the team throughout the majority of Sulaimon's basketball career, became aware of the allegations made at the Fall 2013 Common Ground. The anonymous affiliate began speaking to the female student in January 2014, and began speaking to the second female student in March 2014 after learning of her allegations.
I'd like a lot more information on this.

Honestly, this is the part that reeks as far as I'm concerned:

A former affiliate of the Duke basketball program, who was with the team throughout the majority of Sulaimon's basketball career, became aware of the allegations made at the Fall 2013 Common Ground. The anonymous affiliate began speaking to the female student in January 2014, and began speaking to the second female student in March 2014 after learning of her allegations.
I'd like a lot more information on this.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=549089 There you go. Let us know what they say.

Isn't that exactly what your coach did? Are you upset with him?

Isn't that exactly what your coach did? Are you upset with him?
He didn't really kick him off immediately. He waited ten months, for reasons that he is now going to have to explain. It's certainly not a good look, probably worse than if he was still on the roster IMO because he can't use the "innocent until proven guilty" position and will have to invent some other reason why he removed him on a seemingly random day in January after giving him minutes the day before.

With every passing year I am that much happier that I chose not to go to Duke. Man, would hate to be lumped into that alumni base. Now, one of the coolest guys Ive known is a Dule alum, but seriously I can't think of another that I actually like and respect. :shrug:

I think a lot of the Duke guys on here are pretty cool. Just one terrible one and a couple more annoying ones as well

I think a lot of the Duke guys on here are pretty cool. Just one terrible one and a couple more annoying ones as well
Can the cool ones stand up? Maybe because they aren't tools I don't notice their affiliation. Plus hardly been in the ACC thread this year with all the personal #### going on.

That's it, I'm converting. I want to be a UNCheat fan. Now that's a school that knows how to break the rules and never get caught or punished for it! GO HOLES!!!

Can the cool ones stand up? Maybe because they aren't tools I don't notice their affiliation. Plus hardly been in the ACC thread this year with all the personal #### going on.
oso diablo is one of the best posters here regardless of topic.

tdoss has the passion level you wish all the fans of your favorite teams had. His hobby of building game boards from scratch is a fun follow, too. Every post of his in the board game thread is a must-read.

TLEF316 is superknowledgeable about the game of basketball, and follows the prep school/AAU circuit closely. Occasionally he feels the burden of Duke's reputation on his shoulders and lashes out, but otherwise a good dude.

tdoss, tlef316 and oso diablo are all pretty good guys (or present themselves that way here ;) )

tdoss, tlef316 and oso diablo are all pretty good guys (or present themselves that way here ;) )
That's right. Ok, maybe I will recind my comments - except those Dukies that are unbearable do seem to bring it like no other fan base I know. Of course, living on Long Island seems to bring about more of the Arch-type and less of those who definitely seem cool and balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread