What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tulo! (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
What say you?

He's such a beast but always hurt. Coming off season ending hip surgery.

Take the chance in 2nd round?

Weekly league, would do my best to avoid him. Daily league, wouldn't think twice about grabbing him.

The guy was 5th best SS in my points league and only played 91 games.

Ya probably. Better in a league with daily moves since he's notorious for lingering on the 25 man playing 3 games a week sorta injured. Upside remains large. Not a big position scarcity guy, but even I admit SS sucks.

He will be on one of my teams. Daily roto w/a deep bench, salary cap auction format. He was not retained because he was too expensive. I'll over pay if I have to in that format.

I'm leaning no in my weekly leagues w/playoffs though. Those drafts aren't until the end of the month, so I'll think about it more closer to then.

Discussing this with someone earlier tonight ... drafting both Tulo and Hanley in a 10-teamer.

Hanley as a UT until he becomes OF-eligible, Tulo insurance, weakens an already awful SS field even more.

Possible shark move?

Last edited by a moderator:
Discussing this with someone earlier tonight ... drafting both Tulo and Hanley in a 10-teamer.

Hanley as a UT until he becomes OF-eligible, Tulo insurance, weakens an already awful SS field even more.

Possible shark move?
Between the two of them, they've averaged 113 games played over the past five seasons.

Possible shark move?
Slow auction ongoing, I'm trying to get J Roll at MI/backup Tulo. Between the rest of my infield I have Pujols, Votto, Longo, Lawrie, Prado, and Scooter. If I got in a real jam I could use Moss at 1b, but I'm operating at a deficiency on the back end of my outfield so that's last resort territory.

Possible shark move?
Slow auction ongoing, I'm trying to get J Roll at MI/backup Tulo. Between the rest of my infield I have Pujols, Votto, Longo, Lawrie, Prado, and Scooter. If I got in a real jam I could use Moss at 1b, but I'm operating at a deficiency on the back end of my outfield so that's last resort territory.
Update?

So I'm torn between Tulo or Felix with the No. 2 pick tomorrow in my 10-team, 6x6 head-to-head keeper league (assuming Miggy ends up going No. 1). The curveball is that I have a ton of extra picks in the first four rounds ... essentially I pick at 2, 9, 12, 22, 28, 29, 32, 39. My keepers are Goldy, Scherzer and Harper.

Other available first-round types are Hanley and Desmond at SS ... Cueto, Wainwright, Grienke, Zimm, Hamels, Cole, Harvey at SP ... plus guys like CarGo, Ellsbury, Dickerson, Freeman, AGon, Donaldson, VMart.

Am I wasting too much time trying to set up my later picks based on whether I go Felix or Tulo at 2? Even assuming a completely healthy Tulo (big IF, I know), is he a better call there than Felix?

If you pass on Tulo and he stays healthy you will not be able to manufacture anything at SS remotely close to his production.

If you pass on Felix and he stays healthy you can still build a pitching staff strong enough to score the most pitching points in your league.

IMHO, the only question here is how risk adverse are you?

If you can get Hanley at #9, that Tulo risk sure seems worth it at #2.
I asked that question last week ... would it be smart to grab both Tulo and Hanley, knowing I can use Hanley at OF/UT and also have him as Tulo insurance? And also thin the SS pool even more?

Very tempting. I keep going back and forth on this, but appreciate all the input. :thumbup:

MAC_32 said:
If you pass on Tulo and he stays healthy you will not be able to manufacture anything at SS remotely close to his production.

If you pass on Felix and he stays healthy you can still build a pitching staff strong enough to score the most pitching points in your league.
Wouldn't the flipside also be true then?

If you pass on Felix, you will not be able to manufacture anything at SP remotely close to his production.

If you pass on Tulo, you can still build a lineup strong enough to secure the most hitting points in your league.

Not even saying I disagree with the essence of your comment, but I fail to see a difference in philosophy. In one instance, you're saying Felix's stats are replaceable over the course of an entire staff but with Tulo you're comparing to one singular position. I don't think you're comparing apples and apples here.

MAC_32 said:

Wouldn't the flipside also be true then?If you pass on Felix, you will not be able to manufacture anything at SP remotely close to his production.

If you pass on Tulo, you can still build a lineup strong enough to secure the most hitting points in your league.

Not even saying I disagree with the essence of your comment, but I fail to see a difference in philosophy. In one instance, you're saying Felix's stats are replaceable over the course of an entire staff but with Tulo you're comparing to one singular position. I don't think you're comparing apples and apples here.
Sure, pitching is the deepest position in the game though. Shortstop is terrible. There are some interesting young players at the position, but can you comfortably say you think any of them will significantly outperform their current value? I can't. Usually aren't those types that pop up in season either. I'm sure there are others, but the only example that comes to mind is Everth Cabrera, past years and current year. I'd be more surprised if he were on my roster May 1 than off it though.Anyway, if you're debating between Tulo and other bats I won't nudge you towards Tulo because you can argue a full season of games from them are more valuable than Tulo * likelihood he plays a full season + replacement level filler when he is injured. Pitching though? You can piece that together. Every team is going to come out of a draft deficient somewhere and the easiest position to patch together cheaply/later is pitching.

Jhonny Peralta Is going off the board at SS15. I'll start there with guys that won't only better their ADP, but likely blow it away.

Aybar (16), Simmons (19) and Flores (26) also prime candidates to significantly better their ADPs

Jhonny Peralta Is going off the board at SS15. I'll start there with guys that won't only better their ADP, but likely blow it away.

Aybar (16), Simmons (19) and Flores (26) also prime candidates to significantly better their ADPs
I have Aybar in two leagues, so he's likely to suck.

Simmons is an interesting case, I think the power is there but can he improve his contact rate and Z swing rate I think he could be a MIF option at worst in mixed leagues. This is one of those guys who is better in real life than in fantasy, probably as wide of a margin as any player in baseball to be honest.

Flores is one of those guys I referred to, I'm interested but not in starting him in April. Watch list, preferred.

Curious about Simmons, but he had more hr in 2013 than the rest of his major/minor league career combined. Rather watch that one from afar this year.

Hot streaks, luck, and unexpected stuff happen but I'm not seeing any reason to believe Peralta and Aybar at age 32 and 31 are going to one-up previous performances. What am I missing?

Flores is one of those guys I referred to, I'm interested but not in starting him in April. Watch list, preferred.

Curious about Simmons, but he had more hr in 2013 than the rest of his major/minor league career combined. Rather watch that one from afar this year.

Hot streaks, luck, and unexpected stuff happen but I'm not seeing any reason to believe Peralta and Aybar at age 32 and 31 are going to one-up previous performances. What am I missing?
Usually you miss about everything.

Who said anything about one upping anything? For their relative draft position both offer value is all.

And Simmons is owned in only 16% of Yahoo leagues and has a mid 20s ADP for a SS. He's not even rosterable, so thanks for letting us all know you aren't buying. Have you considered selling your insights in some sort of newsletter? I'm sure everyone who is buying a lot of shares of Simmons would be interested.

So you don't have any conviction about the fliers at ss either. Meaning, we agree.

It is cute how you keep trying to manufacture arguments though.

Marcus Semien is also an interesting case. Going off boards around 275 which would put him right around Simmons. You're getting position eligibility at 3 positions and could net you 25-30 combined HR/SB.

I also think there's a decent chance he finds his way into the top of the lineup. Crisp is an injury waiting to happen and Sam Fuld doesn't scream 2 hitter

Marcus Semien is also an interesting case. Going off boards around 275 which would put him right around Simmons. You're getting position eligibility at 3 positions and could net you 25-30 combined HR/SB.

I also think there's a decent chance he finds his way into the top of the lineup. Crisp is an injury waiting to happen and Sam Fuld doesn't scream 2 hitter
For fantasy purposes, I'd much rather have Semien than Simmons.

For fantasy purposes, I'd much rather have Semien than Simmons.
The versatility alone makes him more attractive. One of those 'all things being equal' kind of tie breakers

That's a good idea. Draft as depth and if the guy you drafted to play SS sucks then slide him in there once eligible. Gonna keep him in mind for my last one.

For the record, I took Tulo. Felix and Hanley ended up going the next two picks, and Desmond went at 6. So I feel better about grabbing one of the "big three" SS.

My pitching still should be solid (hopefully) with Scherzer, Harvey, Tanaka, Iwakuma and Samardzija at the top.

For the record, I took Tulo. Felix and Hanley ended up going the next two picks, and Desmond went at 6. So I feel better about grabbing one of the "big three" SS.

My pitching still should be solid (hopefully) with Scherzer, Harvey, Tanaka, Iwakuma and Samardzija at the top.
Who did you get at #9?

Possible shark move?
I did this not really planning to. Sort of wish I had taken Desmond for UT but that's ok because Hanley will give me more utility at the position change.

Who did you get at #9?
CarGo.
Ouch. I like the Tulo pick at #2, but at #9 I probably would've taken somebody with less injury risk since you already have that in spades with Tulo. Donaldson at #9 would've given you the start of a killer infield.

Who did you get at #9?
CarGo.
Ouch. I like the Tulo pick at #2, but at #9 I probably would've taken somebody with less injury risk since you already have that in spades with Tulo. Donaldson at #9 would've given you the start of a killer infield.
Donaldson went at 5.

ActionHero said:
Dickie Dunn said:
Eephus said:

Who did you get at #9?
CarGo.
I assume he took Carlos Gomez, not Carlos Gonzalez.

ActionHero said:
Dickie Dunn said:
Eephus said:

Who did you get at #9?
CarGo.
I assume he took Carlos Gomez, not Carlos Gonzalez.
I'd say that's a bad assumption.

Got him with the 7th pick in my keeper league last night (Trout, Goldy, Abreu, Gomez, Jones not in draft—all kept). Very surprised he fell to me.

Wouldn't the flipside also be true then?If you pass on Felix, you will not be able to manufacture anything at SP remotely close to his production.

Sure, pitching is the deepest position in the game though. Shortstop is terrible. There are some interesting young players at the position, but can you comfortably say you think any of them will significantly outperform their current value? I can't. Usually aren't those types that pop up in season either. I'm sure there are others, but the only example that comes to mind is Everth Cabrera, past years and current year. I'd be more surprised if he were on my roster May 1 than off it though.Anyway, if you're debating between Tulo and other bats I won't nudge you towards Tulo because you can argue a full season of games from them are more valuable than Tulo * likelihood he plays a full season + replacement level filler when he is injured. Pitching though? You can piece that together. Every team is going to come out of a draft deficient somewhere and the easiest position to patch together cheaply/later is pitching.
Oh, I totally grant that it's easier to patchwork a good staff together than to patchwork good offense. I just meant in either case, you're not replicating the production of the guy you're missing out on. Arguments can be made either way, and I would also tend to err on the side of the hitter versus the pitcher. But no matter how well you piece together your staff, you aren't getting production of a Felix Hernandez out of that one lineup slot, that's all I meant.

Users who are viewing this thread