What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kurt Cobain - Montage of Heck Documentary (1 Viewer)

Ill never forget where I was when I heard he died. getting taped up in the trainers room before practice

I would like to see this. I liked Nirvana but dont know much about Cobain

Ill never forget where I was when I heard he died. getting taped up in the trainers room before practice

I would like to see this. I liked Nirvana but dont know much about Cobain
He was a character. A lot was pre contrived but he generally was a weird/lost soul. I hope the doc interviews Duff because he supposedly was the last person to talk to Kurt. They were both on a plane together and had a long time about addiction, life etc. Duff says one of his main regrets was not asking Kurt to come eat with he and his wife. He went to get his bag and when he went to ask Kurt to eat he had disappeared

About 25 minutes in is duff talking about him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmpQoq5oPc

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was excellent. Unpacking that, it was unfiltered, raw, and dark. Really held nothing back, and it felt like diving into his mind with the shots of his notebooks. Musical genius, but really deeply troubled guy. I guess I just didn't have any idea how bad before watching this. Makes me happy for what I have, because for someone who conceivably had it all with music and fame, a woman who loved him and a child he loved, it didn't make him truly happy. He just wanted to play live and not do interviews, etc. I don't know if was only the fame, the drugs or what, but it's just sad how his life ended.

RIP Kurt

A lot of work went into that doc and there was a lot of depth to it.

But it wasn't that enjoyable to watch. I guess I like more of a straightforward approach. I already know about Cobain's mind from other sources and his book of writings. I was looking for a definitive story. This was more the artistic angle.

I'm going to have to watch that again.

I've already read most of the writings on Nirvana in the last 20 years. I knew a fair amount of that story but "the vault" of Kurt Cobain and hasn't been as well documented elsewhere as in this documentary. I really enjoyed seeing that. I couldn't figure out if Cobain's parents were trying to do the right thing by moving him around the family or if they just weren't ready to deal with a prodigy like Kurt. They certainly had no idea how fragile he really was behind the excited child.

Courtney came off alright for a bit before the wheels fell off of her story. The ending was very abrupt but I think that was a shot at Courtney. It's more clear to me now than before that she played a very solid and intimate role in Cobain's death. I'm not saying that she pulled the trigger or anything (though I'm sure we've all read the hypotheses) but she was the final piece of utter disappointment or complete betrayal that Kurt could no longer shoulder. Add that to a herion-addled mind and well, yeah.

Finally having confirmation that My Girl on Unplugged was directed completely at Courtney really hit me. I'd always thought from the passion in his voice that it was directed at her but I couldn't be absolutely certain until Courtney told her supposed "I didn't cheat" story. Especially after saying she'd flirt with a chair as part of the lead-in to that story.
Great documentary. Solid for all Nirvana & Cobain fans. But my big question the whole way through was, why no Dave Grohl? Did he say No to it? Did they even ask?

I'm going to have to watch that again.

I've already read most of the writings on Nirvana in the last 20 years. I knew a fair amount of that story but "the vault" of Kurt Cobain and hasn't been as well documented elsewhere as in this documentary. I really enjoyed seeing that. I couldn't figure out if Cobain's parents were trying to do the right thing by moving him around the family or if they just weren't ready to deal with a prodigy like Kurt. They certainly had no idea how fragile he really was behind the excited child.

Courtney came off alright for a bit before the wheels fell off of her story. The ending was very abrupt but I think that was a shot at Courtney. It's more clear to me now than before that she played a very solid and intimate role in Cobain's death. I'm not saying that she pulled the trigger or anything (though I'm sure we've all read the hypotheses) but she was the final piece of utter disappointment or complete betrayal that Kurt could no longer shoulder. Add that to a herion-addled mind and well, yeah.

Finally having confirmation that My Girl on Unplugged was directed completely at Courtney really hit me. I'd always thought from the passion in his voice that it was directed at her but I couldn't be absolutely certain until Courtney told her supposed "I didn't cheat" story. Especially after saying she'd flirt with a chair as part of the lead-in to that story.
Great documentary. Solid for all Nirvana & Cobain fans. But my big question the whole way through was, why no Dave Grohl? Did he say No to it? Did they even ask?

Great post.

she was the final piece of utter disappointment or complete betrayal that Kurt could no longer shoulder

I watched it. Too many montages and not enough depth IMO. With that said, seeing his writings and art was interesting and provided unique insight into his mind. It amazing that so many kids in my generation idolized someone so psychologically damaged. You can't help but feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for the guy and the demons he dealt with.

Courtney Love comes across as a complete narcissist. I appreciate how the documentary ended with the arrow squarely pointed at her. Does anyone know the timeline of of when "In the Pines" was recorded relative to the overdose and the suicide? Also, was the "Unplugged" version the debut?

I watched it. Too many montages and not enough depth IMO. With that said, seeing his writings and art was interesting and provided unique insight into his mind. It amazing that so many kids in my generation idolized someone so psychologically damaged. You can't help but feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for the guy and the demons he dealt with.

Courtney Love comes across as a complete narcissist. I appreciate how the documentary ended with the arrow squarely pointed at her. Does anyone know the timeline of of when "In the Pines" was recorded relative to the overdose and the suicide? Also, was the "Unplugged" version the debut?
Where did you Sleep Last Night was recorded before the overdose in Rome. If memory serves me, it was recorded in December of 1993. The overdose was in March of 1994. His death was in April. So it would have been before the incident of "almost" cheating that Love talks about. That was a popular song in Seattle at the time (I think Mudhoney recorded a version of it) and Nirvana had been jamming on it since the late 80s. So I don't know if he was singing directly about Love in it. But I've always thought that was the most emotional vocal performance I've ever heard. I'm thinking his relationship with Love was rocky by this point (and he probably suspected she had cheated on him since she flirts with anything), so Love still may have been the driving force behind the emotion.

The interesting thing to me: Though this was Courtney Love's idea, Frances was the one who really brought the documentary all together. This may be taken out of context, but I've heard her say "The ending was perfect." I don't think she had a great relationship with her mother, and this may be her subtle way of sticking the knife in. Feel really sorry for her. I can't imagine what being raised by Courtney would be like.

I've devoured everything Nirvana, and I'd never heard the cheating story. It's been obvious to everyone for a long time that Courtney was the trigger that made him kill himself. Her narrative was that he killed himself because of an intervention they all had to get him to stop using. But this movie clearly portrays her infidelity as the cause.

Just overall a very fascinating story. Always has been fascinating to me. And what came through better than anything in this movie was just what a genius artist Kurt was. I've always said he differed from a lot of his contemporaries in that they were musicians. He was an artist. This documentary certainly paints that picture.

I did not like Courtney before seeing this. Now I like her less.

Where did you Sleep Last Night was recorded before the overdose in Rome. If memory serves me, it was recorded in December of 1993.
Per Wiki Unplugged was recorded in Nov of '93. Totally agree on the emotion (pain?) that was evident in Cobain's singing on this song.

I'm sure you know Where Did You Sleep Last Night/In the Pines/Black Girl is an old traditional song popularized by Lead Belly in the '40s.

Where did you Sleep Last Night was recorded before the overdose in Rome. If memory serves me, it was recorded in December of 1993. The overdose was in March of 1994. His death was in April. So it would have been before the incident of "almost" cheating that Love talks about. That was a popular song in Seattle at the time (I think Mudhoney recorded a version of it) and Nirvana had been jamming on it since the late 80s. So I don't know if he was singing directly about Love in it. But I've always thought that was the most emotional vocal performance I've ever heard. I'm thinking his relationship with Love was rocky by this point (and he probably suspected she had cheated on him since she flirts with anything), so Love still may have been the driving force behind the emotion.

The interesting thing to me: Though this was Courtney Love's idea, Frances was the one who really brought the documentary all together. This may be taken out of context, but I've heard her say "The ending was perfect." I don't think she had a great relationship with her mother, and this may be her subtle way of sticking the knife in. Feel really sorry for her. I can't imagine what being raised by Courtney would be like.

I've devoured everything Nirvana, and I'd never heard the cheating story. It's been obvious to everyone for a long time that Courtney was the trigger that made him kill himself. Her narrative was that he killed himself because of an intervention they all had to get him to stop using. But this movie clearly portrays her infidelity as the cause.

Just overall a very fascinating story. Always has been fascinating to me. And what came through better than anything in this movie was just what a genius artist Kurt was. I've always said he differed from a lot of his contemporaries in that they were musicians. He was an artist. This documentary certainly paints that picture.
I'm not a Courtney fan at all, but think it's unfair to say that she "made" him to do it. He'd been looking for a reason to off himself for most of his life. The real tragedy is that his entire music career was a call for help that few seemed to take seriously. "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die" rocks, but come on, how big of a tell do people close to him need?

Just did an image search on Frances.

Holy crap she really looks like a 50/50 blend of Courtney and Kurt.

Got about 15 minutes into it and it was so boring I turned it off. Maybe Ill try again another time, but I dont really care about his pre teen years.

Got about 15 minutes into it and it was so boring I turned it off. Maybe Ill try again another time, but I dont really care about his pre teen years.
I almost turned it off less than 30mins in too. It doesn't pace like a normal doc where you feel like you are moving through his life. It's very contemplative/artsy.

I'm not a Courtney fan at all, but think it's unfair to say that she "made" him to do it. He'd been looking for a reason to off himself for most of his life. The real tragedy is that his entire music career was a call for help that few seemed to take seriously. "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die" rocks, but come on, how big of a tell do people close to him need?
If they'd put that sone and "Verse Chorus Verse" (or "Sappy, if you know it as that) on 'In Utero' instead of cutting them out and instead removed "Very Ape", "Milk It" and/or "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter", it might be one of the 10 best albums ever made. I can't believe those two songs didn't make the album, those are two of my favorite songs they ever recorded.

Whenever I think of Kurt I think of Hole's line from Malibu: How are you so burnt when you're barely on fire?

It was definitely weird but interesting and informative. The excerpts from his notebooks were pretty nutty but cool.

Fiddles said:
milk it? really? thats one of their best riffs
It's my favorite of those three, but those are the three I would sacrifice for the two songs I named. I love "Tourette's" so that's not going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread