What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Project or Die: Evan Gattis (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
2013 382 PA, 21 HR, 44 R, 65 RBI, .243/.291/.480
2014 401 PA, 22 HR, 41 R, 52 RBI, .263/.317/.493
2015 ZiPS 413 PA, 20 HR, 46 R, 58 RBI, .248/.298/.462

How does he fare in his final year of C eligibility?

Allow me to explain "Project or Die" to new BBF visitors. Somebody (in this case me) throws out the name of a player. Somebody else (you for instance) posts how they think said player will perform. This is typically expressed in terms of 5x5 fantasy categories but some people will estimate plate appearances, slash lines, WAR and other highfalutin metrics. This is the "Project" part. The "Die" part is largely apocryphal. Participation is entirely voluntary.

545 PAs 27 HRs, 125 (R+RBI),.225/.295/.460

Very nice production from the catcher's spot but the strikeouts will make him negative in AVG/OBP.

My 3rd slash is obviously OPS, not SLG.

Eephus, you seem really low on his BA. more ABs = more exposure to weaknesses, or problems learning a new league?

Eephus, you seem really low on his BA. more ABs = more exposure to weaknesses, or problems learning a new league?
Just being curmudgeonly really. Gattis' 2014 BABIP was league average so it could go either way. I'm usually negative on guys who strike out a lot (24%) without many walks (5%).

The Astros are going to strike out a ton this year. Their 2013 club holds the all-time MLB strikeout record (1535) but they could challenge that this year.

Every day, 2200 Americans die from heart disease. And do you know what they all have in common? They didn't project Evan Gattis' 2015 stats.

65-31-80-0-250

Gotta be honest with you, I think you guys are underrating Gattis' ability to steal home. /EZGlider

E-Z Glider said:
Great thread!

240ish avg

310ish obp

30+ HRs

90+ RBIs

60+ Runs

Runaway #1 Catcher for 2015
Pretty good chance that average alone makes him less valuable than a full Posey season.

I recall Houston being a pretty good homer park. Put a slugger with C eligibility and give him 140-150 games there, I dont' see whats not to like here.

E-Z Glider said:
Great thread!

240ish avg

310ish obp

30+ HRs

90+ RBIs

60+ Runs

Pretty good chance that average alone makes him less valuable than a full Posey season.
That's the rub. Catcher is the riskiest position in baseball. They take a beating over the course of the season. Its why most people feel its foolish to use an early pick on one. Now, if Posey were slotted to play DH this season, then sure, Id consider taking him over Gattis. But he's not.

E-Z Glider said:
Great thread!

240ish avg

310ish obp

30+ HRs

90+ RBIs

60+ Runs

That's the rub. Catcher is the riskiest position in baseball. They take a beating over the course of the season. Its why most people feel its foolish to use an early pick on one. Now, if Posey were slotted to play DH this season, then sure, Id consider taking him over Gattis. But he's not.
Your DH argument is why I really like Jaso.

Will he put up Gattis-like numbers? Hell no, but his price accounts for that. 272/344/449, 282/405/398, and 302/419/508 vs. righties the last three seasons and now he will only focus on hitting, probably from the 2 hole.

Pair him with a riskier C option and you should net a healthy profit.

250/298/485, 23 HRs, 63 RBIs, 63 Rs

0 steals of home (sorry TRE)

1 DL stint for wrist

Posey retains title as C elite.

Neither are a value.

E-Z Glider said:
Great thread!

240ish avg

310ish obp

30+ HRs

90+ RBIs

60+ Runs

Your DH argument is why I really like Jaso.

Will he put up Gattis-like numbers? Hell no, but his price accounts for that. 272/344/449, 282/405/398, and 302/419/508 vs. righties the last three seasons and now he will only focus on hitting, probably from the 2 hole.

Pair him with a riskier C option and you should net a healthy profit.
Different situation, but I also bump HanRam up in my rankings for this reason. Similar to Gattis, he's also moving to a much more favorable park and playing a much less demanding position while retaining SS status for this year.

Astros sent 1B Jon Singleton to AAA. That means Chris Carter will get the starts at 1st base, leaving The DH spot all to Evan Gattis.

It's happening guys. Feels weird relying on Astros, but I'm on the Springer + Gattis combo in almost every league

I guess Gattis was getting bored with going 0-for-4, so last night he decided to spice things up with an 0-for-5. ... taking his slash line to .118/.167/.216. :wall:

I'm setting the over-under at him getting his YTD point total in our league back above 0 at, I dunno, Memorial Day.

Users who are viewing this thread