What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A question about Backup and Restore software (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
I am using new backup software and want to make sure I understand it.

*I first created a "Full Backup" of what I need from Folder X

*I then have chosen to perform periodic "Incremental Backups" to back up any changes (new files, deleted files etc) in Folder X.

When I look at the Restore Function, it gives me the choice of choosing to use the "Full Backup" or and of the individual "Incremental Backup" I have made as the restore point.

Am I correct in thinking if I choose the latest "Incremental Backup" as the restore point, that all of my data that was in Folder X at the time of the last Incremental Backup will be restored?

I just want to make sure I won't only get the changes if I choose that latest date but would get all the data that was in Folder X at the time of the last Incremental Backup.

To do a full restore with incrementals you need to restore your last full backup then each incremental backup.

Always best to restore to a different location first so you aren't overwriting anything.

To do a full restore with incrementals you need to restore your last full backup then each incremental backup.

Always best to restore to a different location first so you aren't overwriting anything.
Ok that actually makes some sense.

To make sure I understand: If I have over time made 50 incremental backups, then I need to perform 51 total restores (1 for the Full and 50 for the incrementals)? Yikes that could take a while :)

I wonder if it then makes sense to periodically perform a new full back up and remove all the incrementals and old full backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

To make sure I understand: If I have over time made 50 incremental backups, then I need to perform 51 total restores (1 for the Full and 50 for the incrementals)? Yikes that could take a while :)

I wonder if it then makes sense to periodically perform a new full back up and remove all the incrementals and old full backup.
Yep. Incrementals keep your backup small but are a pain in the ### to restore. Provided you have the space, you should be doing differentials. They'll start small and grow over time as more of your data changes. If the backups start getting too big, you do another full to get the differentials back down in size. To restore fully from differentials you just need to restore your last full and your last differential.

Yep. Incrementals keep your backup small but are a pain in the ### to restore. Provided you have the space, you should be doing differentials. They'll start small and grow over time as more of your data changes. If the backups start getting too big, you do another full to get the differentials back down in size. To restore fully from differentials you just need to restore your last full and your last differential.
Ahh, cool, I did see the differential choice but did not choose it.

Now I think I understand all my choices.

Thank you for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread