What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

a poll for overweight folks (1 Viewer)

Do you care about being overweight?

• yes

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • no

Votes: 86 64.7%
  • not overweight

Votes: 51 38.3%

• Total voters

moleculo

Footballguy
just curious about how folks ended up being overweight and what they have done. If you have weight loss methods that work for you, feel free to share.

ETA: WTF? where did the poll go?

ETA2: poll added

Last edited by a moderator:
7 years ago, I lost 50 pounds doing two things. Learning how to cook, and simply counting calories and bucketing them into fat, protein, and carb percentages.

Then I go married and gained most of it back.

Spent the first ~28 years of my life overweight. Not great metabolism coupled with poor eating choices (reasonable amounts of exercise).

5 years ago I got serious about it, getting gradually more serious each year. Over that time I've worked my ### off in the gym, on the trails, and in the kitchen and have been in borderline pro athlete shape for the last several years.

Wow I'm the only one who doesn't care about being fat?

Edit: I see I'm no longer the only one

:porked:

At age 27 I did crossfit everyday, ate pretty darn close to paleo, and weighed 165 lbs. and was maybe 5% body fat. Was casually dating at this time and didn't work much more than 45 hrs./week so I had plenty of free time. Played multiple sports and really cared about being fit as it helped land hotter chicks. Typical day was wake up and go for a run, work until like 5:30, crossfit right after, go play basketball or softball after that, then hook up with some chick at like 10 PM and boot her out/leave at 11:00 so I'm in bed at the same time to get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Weekends just eliminate the work and add much more time playing sports.

At age 28 two things happened: I met my wife and blew out my knee. Couldn't maintain the cardio and stopped caring so much about looking good. My wife and I both love good food and good alcohol so my nightly workout/sports was replaced by a lot of nights out to dinner eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Slowly started to add weight.

At age 29 I took a job where the more I worked the more I got paid. The pay increase was great, but I started and have been working like 60 hrs./week minimum and the stress level greatly increased. Lifestyle didn't change much and most days have been coming home at like 8 PM and eating and drinking whatever I wanted while watching TV just so I could decompress from the day. Still work out and play sports on a regular basis, but nowhere near the amount I did and the more cardio-intensive sports like basketball and soccer were eliminated for golf. Stepped on the scale a couple weeks ago (hadn't done that in a long time) and I weighed 244 lbs. I knew I had gained a lot of weight but I had no idea how much.

Started dieting immediately after and have been trying to get my heart rate up at least once a day. Also trying to cut out alcohol as much as possible. Down six lbs. in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get back below the Mendoza line by the end of the year.

At age 27 I did crossfit everyday, ate pretty darn close to paleo, and weighed 165 lbs. and was maybe 5% body fat. Was casually dating at this time and didn't work much more than 45 hrs./week so I had plenty of free time. Played multiple sports and really cared about being fit as it helped land hotter chicks. Typical day was wake up and go for a run, work until like 5:30, crossfit right after, go play basketball or softball after that, then hook up with some chick at like 10 PM and boot her out/leave at 11:00 so I'm in bed at the same time to get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Weekends just eliminate the work and add much more time playing sports.

At age 28 two things happened: I met my wife and blew out my knee. Couldn't maintain the cardio and stopped caring so much about looking good. My wife and I both love good food and good alcohol so my nightly workout/sports was replaced by a lot of nights out to dinner eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Slowly started to add weight.

At age 29 I took a job where the more I worked the more I got paid. The pay increase was great, but I started and have been working like 60 hrs./week minimum and the stress level greatly increased. Lifestyle didn't change much and most days have been coming home at like 8 PM and eating and drinking whatever I wanted while watching TV just so I could decompress from the day. Still work out and play sports on a regular basis, but nowhere near the amount I did and the more cardio-intensive sports like basketball and soccer were eliminated for golf. Stepped on the scale a couple weeks ago (hadn't done that in a long time) and I weighed 244 lbs. I knew I had gained a lot of weight but I had no idea how much.

Started dieting immediately after and have been trying to get my heart rate up at least once a day. Also trying to cut out alcohol as much as possible. Down six lbs. in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get back below the Mendoza line by the end of the year.
good lord man.

At age 28 two things happened: I met my wife and blew out took an arrow to my knee. Couldn't maintain the cardio and stopped caring so much about looking good. My wife and I both love good food and good alcohol so my nightly workout/sports was replaced by a lot of nights out to dinner eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Slowly started to add weight.

good lord man.
Yep. It's funny, because while I know I've gained the weight, I really don't notice it like in the mirror or anything. But when I see somebody I hadn't seen for a long time, it gets pretty embarrassing. For example, I had been away from my current jurisdiction for a couple of years and in my first hearing back a judge, when announcing my appearance, goes... "For the Defendant, Mr...... Woz???? Is that you? You, uh, used to be in great shape and I didn't immediately recognize you." I'll see people from my old gym or guys I used to play sports with and just instant looks of disdain.

good lord man.
How tall are you? And you put on the 80lbs in 2+ years?

HFS

good lord man.
:goodposting:

good lord man.

HFS
5'11"

And it's been almost five years now. I turn 32 next month.

I gained about 20 lbs over the last 2 years (6'3 - 210) b/c of work, masters program (just finished), and having 2 kids under 3. Just started working out again. Ive decided I am only allowed to drink booze if I work out that day. I don't have much problem controlling the food calories, but beer/wine piles up quickly.

I'm 6'5" and weigh 280. Ive always been big, but more muscular when I was younger. Now its blobs of fat and I feel disgusting. Tried doing insanity 3+ years ago and herniated three disks. Tried tennis one year later, use to play and something wife and I could do together, and promptly blew out my knee. Now ive gained 25 lbs in 2+ years and wondering wtf I should do. Weight hurts my back and knee, but any kind of exercise makes the pain worse.

Is there a body transplant option?

Ive cut out the booze so ive "maintained" but if that's all I'd rather drink.

Being in IT, I sit on my ### a lot. Stressed out and feeling like I was doomed to die like my father at the age of 44, it felt like it was out of my hands. It took something that shook me to the core in order to change my ways. 6'0" and currently 226 at age 41. Lost 60+ from this time last year. I was deathly afraid of my genetics, but it was ultimately my bad habits which would have put me in the same situation as my father. I run, mind my caloric intake, and set realistic goals. I will be at 200 by the end of this year and doctors all giving me the thumbs up except for some persistent hypertension which I am working on. I think of my past behavior as selfish and not doing the right thing for the people I love and who love me. I realize this is kind of sappy, but I hope it doesn't take something significant (negative) to wake folks up. We have more control than we think.

I think the most interesting thing about this poll is that the category of "Not Overweight" fluctuates based on the question. How is someone overweight when asked what caused a weight gain and suddenly not overweight when asked if they care about it?

So is your wife a fatty? Was she the cause of blowing your knee out

Star softball player physique. :thumbup:

Classy...

I'm 6'5" and weigh 280. Ive always been big, but more muscular when I was younger. Now its blobs of fat and I feel disgusting. Tried doing insanity 3+ years ago and herniated three disks. Tried tennis one year later, use to play and something wife and I could do together, and promptly blew out my knee. Now ive gained 25 lbs in 2+ years and wondering wtf I should do. Weight hurts my back and knee, but any kind of exercise makes the pain worse.

Do you have a place to go hiking? I used to go to the gym but hate it now and find the hiking to be an enjoyable way to exercise.

Wow I'm the only one who doesn't care about being fat?

Edit: I see I'm no longer the only one

:porked:
Then there were 3 6.

:hifive:

Granted my overweight is 165 pounds.

[/doyouevenlift]

But I'm fat by my standards regardless of what any chart says.

ETA: oops, 3 guys over 45...6 don't care.

ETA2: I might be 170. I don't own a scale. Once every few months I remember to weigh myself at the gym, but it's been awhile.

Classy...
legitimate question, he words it like his wife was the cause of blowing his knee out. "I met my wife and blew out my knee"

good lord man.

HFS
5'11"

Ah, that makes more sense. Sounds like you have about 60lbs to lose young man (not counting what you've already lost).

Get to it.

Swimming should help but personally I would rather drink.

At the heaviest was at 225/230, in December of 2013 I had back surgery. Due to a bad back I decided I needed to make some lifetyle changes, so I stopped over eating, eating a big lunch and dinner and was down to 185 by the summer and have kept if off. I no longer over eat and keep my daily calories 1800 or so per day and life's good. No additional excercise, but will be starting to bike ride and walk more regularly since it's finally getting nicer here.

At age 28 two things happened: I met my wife and blew out took an arrow to my knee. Couldn't maintain the cardio and stopped caring so much about looking good. My wife and I both love good food and good alcohol so my nightly workout/sports was replaced by a lot of nights out to dinner eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Slowly started to add weight.
I laughed. Also, Skyrim helps you get fat.

Classy...
legitimate question, he words it like his wife was the cause of blowing his knee out. "I met my wife and blew out my knee"
Except that I prefaced that statement with "two things happened" which would denote two separate events.

:thumbup:

Still hitting .800 without issue and playing plenty of tournaments. However, instead of a middle outfield position I now play 1B or catcher. :bag:

good lord man.

HFS
5'11"

Ah, that makes more sense. Sounds like you have about 60lbs to lose young man (not counting what you've already lost).

Get to it.
That's the plan.

Classy...
Except that I prefaced that statement with "two things happened" which would denote two separate events.
Yeah I left that out. Comedic license.

Classy...
I see you're interpreting this term quite generously.

:thumbup:

Still hitting .800 without issue and playing plenty of tournaments. However, instead of a middle outfield position I now play 1B or catcher. :bag:
Lots of singles or are you still legging out the doubles and triples? Maybe your team can put some Hostess snacks on the bases for you to get you to that second gear.

good lord man.

HFS
5'11"

what... i went by BMI so i could participate.....I am the same height - 38 - and weigh in between 185-190. No chance you were 5% body fat by the way.

interesting. so far, 68 respondents blame their diet on weight gain, 70 care about being over weight, but 41 or fewer have attempted to modify their diet to lose weight.

I'd be curious to hear why - if you care about being overweight and you blame your diet, why have you not attempted to make a change?

5'10 170lbs

Have to work out 3-4 times a week because of how much booze i drink. Being fat is not an option. Also, I only eat whatever I want on the weekends. It blows my mind when I see people lined up at Wendy's at lunch when I am on my way to get a reasonable lunch. Nevermind the cals, that #### is a salt bomb and makes you feel gross all afternoon.

I don't get it. Stop eating that ####.

interesting. so far, 68 respondents blame their diet on weight gain, 70 care about being over weight, but 41 or fewer have attempted to modify their diet to lose weight.

I'd be curious to hear why - if you care about being overweight and you blame your diet, why have you not attempted to make a change?
I don't know if it is that surprising. I never thought of myself as overweight because I grew up skinny and still have a pretty fast metabolism. But then I looked up and I had gained roughly 35 pounds over 10 years or so. So I got serious about exercise and semi-serious about my diet and in 9 months or so I was in great shape. By that time I had a lot of lean muscle and was enjoying the fact that I could eat nearly whatever I wanted because I burned so many calories. Then I got a couple signficant injuries and couldn't work out and that virtuous cycle turned into a vicious one.

just curious about how folks ended up being overweight and what they have done. If you have weight loss methods that work for you, feel free to share.

ETA: WTF? where did the poll go?

ETA2: poll added
after my dad died suddenly 4 yrs ago of a massive heart attack, I chose to make some long term changes. Got into the gym, started lifting, swimming, running. Along with that started watching what I eat a lot more. ended up losing 30 lbs and have kept it off. Theoretically I could lose another 20lbs if I wanted to be super "cut" but I haven't done it. 6'2 220, used to be 250. at 200lbs I'd look like Skeletor.

so, honestly you just have to decide to make a lifestyle change where working out 3-5 times a week is a requirement, not an option, and you starting paying attention to your foods and how/when you eat.

I'm not 100% committed, sometimes I'll not work out for a month, or I'll eat ####ty for a week, but overall my weight stays in a tight range and have swings where sometimes I'm in really top physical shape and sometimes avg.

Classy...
I see you're interpreting this term quite generously.
you are right sir.......Hope you r weight loss thing goes well.

Kids. Well, the pregnancies anyways. Both times my wife was pregnant i gained more weight than her and only lost half afterwards. 30 lbs later, I'm now 5'9" and 210. Can't seem to lose any.

I've done insanity twice. Started p90x twice but too boring. I really don't eat bad. Beer is the killer. Trying to switch to wine and not as much booze. Still no loss. Crazy thing is, I coach soccer 3-4 days a week in fall and spring and basketball 2-3 days a week in winter and didn't lose any weight and I'm active on the field/court.

Tried to pick up men's league soccer again this fall and made it a whopping 2 games before I realizd my feet/knees/back just can't take it anymore. I turn 39 next month.

Too many aches and pains to do anything too physical anymore. I'd swim if I had a pool. No time for a gym. I'm at a loss as what to do. My body hurts and my blood pressure is climbimg.

How are we determing "overweight"?

When I went through MEPS I had to have my entire body measured because according to the BMI I am slightly over weight.

Upon inspection they determined I wasnt, I am just muscular.

Is there a scale we can all agree on?

Run It Up said:
After 100% DeS and DS1&2 I thought I was pretty good. But holy #### Bloodborne is destroying me, I actually rage quit after finding the second boss thinking it was the first and getting absolutely shreked. Hadn't used any of my souls yet, lost 10k.

So... any good farming spots at the beginning of the game?
Um...Ok then.

Run It Up said:
After 100% DeS and DS1&2 I thought I was pretty good. But holy #### Bloodborne is destroying me, I actually rage quit after finding the second boss thinking it was the first and getting absolutely shreked. Hadn't used any of my souls yet, lost 10k.

So... any good farming spots at the beginning of the game?
Um...Ok then.
Lmfao, this will be a testament to my mistake.

In 2003, I was 34 and in reasonable shape. Was 6'0", about 190, ran about 15 miles per week, lifted a few times per week, played basketball, racquetball, and softball semi-regularly. It's easy to remember, because I moved from NC to VA that year.

12 years later, I have gained about 40 pounds due to a combination of things:

1. My wife is disabled, and her health has declined severely over that time, which has led to an isolated, sedentary lifestyle for both of us.

2. My wife's health issues have killed her appetite, and she does not eat much or regularly. We don't have kids, which has left me cooking/eating for one a lot. This led to some bad eating habits. Not a lot of fast food, so not as bad as many people I know, but still a lot of room for improvement.

3. I drink a lot of beer -- a lot. In part because I like beer, in part to self medicate over my wife's depressing health situation.

4. I hurt my knee in 2005 and learned I needed microfracture surgery. Chance of improvement wasn't sufficient to have the surgery, given the knee doesn't really affect normal daily life... but it led me to stop regularly doing anything with impact -- running, basketball, racquetball, softball.

5. Work responsibilities, hours, and stress all increased.

6. Age and changing metabolism (at least I assume this is a factor).

Two years ago, at basically the same weight, I resolved for the new year to exercise more, eat better, drink less, without putting real bounds on it, and I lost about 20 pounds in 10 weeks without going on any specific diet or exercise program. Then for various reasons I relapsed to previous behavior and gained it back. So I know it is possible to lose.

Started working out again three weeks ago. Goal is to reestablish the better behavior from a couple years ago and start chipping away.

Weighed 120 my Sr. Year in HS. Played team sports year round and looked like a Nazi concentration camp person. Went to college and put on 20 then 30 then 40. I was around 175 when I graduated and probably looked better because I was too damn skinny in HS. But I wasn't in good shape and then started my IT career. By the time I hit 30 I was at 200. By 32 I was almost 240. I had doubled my weight from HS!

So, I started exercising like crazy - did triathlon sports and finally did some races. Got down to 170 and was looking and feeling good but during all I that I never changed my eating habits (or not much). I eventually burned out on all that cardio and became sedentary again. Gradually put most if the weight back on.

Years later I've done the yo-yo thing. It's easy for me to drop 20 lbs and then put it right back on. I finally this year cut out virtually all booze and soda. I'm eating sensibly and working out. Weight is slowing coming off but I'm still at 220. I need to lose 50 lbs but I'm giving myself a year to do and by that time I'm hoping my new habits will be ingrained.

I hate to say it but for me it's beer. And living in NO is a year-round circle of life: Carnival, followed by St. Pat's, St. Joseph's, Easter, festival season (Jazz Fest, FQ Fest), long stretch of hot damn summer (drink and eat to cool off), then Saints tailgates starting in August lasting to December, Oktoberfest, then Thanksgiving, then holiday season, Christmas, New Year's, then pre-Carnival run up starts about the 2nd week of January, and it begins all over again. For example, I went to an outdoor concert with free beer and oysters yesterday and I have two crawfish boils this week. Traditionally I have always been a very skinny guy who played sports competitively (basketball, racquetball, golf, tennis, running) and exercised and nothing affected my metabolism. Lately last few years my job has kept me tied to a desk (which is probably reflected in my posting here to stay sane), I had to cut out competitive sports because of an injury, and somehow being married leads to large meals. But when I have lost weight (and I have done so successfully), it took patience, self-discipline by stopping eating once I hit the full point and eating slowly to get there, cutting out the beer, lowering stress from work through a variety of means (like reading), and working out at least once a day for as little as 20 minutes. Swimming is extremely useful for this. Also, get away from the computer and move.

5'11". In the best shape of my life at age 18, I was 195-200 lbs.

A sedentary lifestyle (work in IT), a complete lack of exercise, and eating and drinking whatever I wanted/as much as I wanted led me to reach a peak of 275 last April (at age 35).

I bought a jawbone and started paying attention to steps and calories. Didn't really change my diet too much, but did pay much more attention to portions. I also cut out snacks and switched from a lot of fried foods to grilled foods. I also started a Couch-to-5K program for exercise.

In six months, I dropped over 50 poinds, down to 220 and have kept it off with the better eating habits and exercise.

Kids. Well, the pregnancies anyways. Both times my wife was pregnant i gained more weight than her and only lost half afterwards. 30 lbs later, I'm now 5'9" and 210. Can't seem to lose any.

I've done insanity twice. Started p90x twice but too boring. I really don't eat bad. Beer is the killer. Trying to switch to wine and not as much booze. Still no loss. Crazy thing is, I coach soccer 3-4 days a week in fall and spring and basketball 2-3 days a week in winter and didn't lose any weight and I'm active on the field/court.

Tried to pick up men's league soccer again this fall and made it a whopping 2 games before I realizd my feet/knees/back just can't take it anymore. I turn 39 next month.

Too many aches and pains to do anything too physical anymore. I'd swim if I had a pool. No time for a gym. I'm at a loss as what to do. My body hurts and my blood pressure is climbimg.
If you read these forums at all, you can't possibly be at a loss on how to lose weight.

I'd bet if you added your calories you're taking in way more than you think. Cut way back on the booze. Otherwise just learn to expect your weight to keep climbing each year.

Users who are viewing this thread