What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did you look better at 20 or 40? (1 Viewer)

At which age did you look better?

• Total voters

Al O'Pecia

Footballguy
We've seen the high school stud who looked like a Greek god, but, by forty, is a bald blob who only his wife would want to bang, and even then begrudgingly. Likewise, we've seen the late bloomer who finally grew into or slimmed down from his previously pathetic body in time to look like a somewhat normal person for middle age.

Similarly, we've seen people who partied way too much when they were young, stopped because they have a wife and kids, and now look better at forty as a result. And we've seen people who didn't party when they were young only to discover the charms of liquor, weed, and blow, and now, at forty, look like Nick Nolte's mugshot.

At which age did you look better, twenty or forty?

(If you aren't forty yet, please speculate whether you'll look better or worse at forty. And if you're not twenty yet, #### off.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Much better at 20. Did party some, but was still in very good shape. By 40, had settled into Suburban life and was 40-50 pounds overweight.

I looked pretty damn good at 40, but still couldn't top my 20 year old sexy self. :wub:

Probably better at 40 (though I'm only 37) than when I was 16 as I was an awkward skinny teen with acne. But by 20 I had filled out, cleared up, and still had all my hair.

So 20 to 40 isn't even close. :(

I turned 40 today. Frankly, I look almost the same. I have a few wrinkles and occasional grays, but not all that different, really.

When I was 20, I weighed about 130 lbs, and was a little pudgy at that weight. At 40, I weigh about 150 (ok, 155), and am fairly trim. I have certainly filled out then, and you can definitely see that in my face.

Happy Birthday! Is there an over the hill party planned?
My wife turns 40 in a couple of days, and this year marks our 10 year wedding anniversary. We are basically going to have one big blow-out this summer to celebrate all of this.

also, we are about to start some pretty big renovations on our house so we don't really want to have a lot of folks over until that's all over with.

Neck up, I look better at 40. Acne is gone, better haircut (still have all my hair), don't look like a 14 year old (always had a babyface).

Neck down, better at 20.

However, my 40 year old wife is hotter than my 20 year old then girlfriend, which by default makes me look better. I'll vote 40.

Look about 20 pounds heavier other than that is pretty much the same with a little more (and lets stress "a little") ability to grow facial hair.

I looked better at 20 than 40, but much better now at 45 than 40, mostly because my penis had a late growth spurt.

I was a very skinny (135lbs) dorky (big glasses) looking 20 year old.

As a 40 year old I've had a lot of help with my look from my wife. Better clothes, glasses, good food so that I'm now a relatively normal 190lbs.

40 wins in a landslide.

Men are lucky in this regard. We generally continue to get more handsome as we age.

The exception to this is if you let yourself go and get fat. That's a bad look at any age.

I turned 40 today. Frankly, I look almost the same. I have a few wrinkles and occasional grays, but not all that different, really.

When I was 20, I weighed about 130 lbs, and was a little pudgy at that weight. At 40, I weigh about 150 (ok, 155), and am fairly trim. I have certainly filled out then, and you can definitely see that in my face.
Happy B-day! So, unpack this for me...at 20, you were pudgy when 130lbs? When I was 20, I weighed 130 and was 4% body fat and only 5'7...are you a Smurf? And then how did you gain 25 lbs and are trim? Did you grow a few inches past age 20?

Happy B-day! So, unpack this for me...at 20, you were pudgy when 130lbs? When I was 20, I weighed 130 and was 4% body fat and only 5'7...are you a Smurf? And then how did you gain 25 lbs and are trim? Did you grow a few inches past age 20?
I was a college wrestler so my definition of pudgy may be different than others. When I was 18, I wrestled at 112 lbs. When I was 19 and 20, I wrestled at 118. When I say I weighed 130 and was pudgy, that's in comparison to my competition weight.

I was then, and am now, 5'5", so I suppose I'm a pale smurf, sure.

the 25 lbs is mostly just filling out - I think I simply wasn't done growing yet....not in height, but in terms of muscular development. I was hovering around 140 when I graduated college at 23. I ballooned up to 167 by the time I was 35, and then lost the weight back down to a skinny 145 by this time last year. Around that time, I started lifting and have packed on a little bulk to get me to around 150, and have been off my diet so I've ballooned up to the 155ish I am today.

ETA - fairly trim means I am trim when compared to most 40 year old men. I'm pudgy by wrestler standards, probably more pudgy than I thought I was when I was 20.

I was a college wrestler so my definition of pudgy may be different than others. When I was 18, I wrestled at 112 lbs. When I was 19 and 20, I wrestled at 118. When I say I weighed 130 and was pudgy, that's in comparison to my competition weight. I was then, and am now, 5'5", so I suppose I'm a pale smurf, sure.

the 25 lbs is mostly just filling out - I think I simply wasn't done growing yet....not in height, but in terms of muscular development. I was hovering around 140 when I graduated college at 23. I ballooned up to 167 by the time I was 35, and then lost the weight back down to a skinny 145 by this time last year. Around that time, I started lifting and have packed on a little bulk to get me to around 150, and have been off my diet so I've ballooned up to the 155ish I am today.

ETA - fairly trim means I am trim when compared to most 40 year old men. I'm pudgy by wrestler standards, probably more pudgy than I thought I was when I was 20.
I didn't know you were a collegiate wrestler, but I remember you discussing your MMA training. Are you planning a fight? And, if so, what weight class?

Very close call for me although by 45 I was definitely in decline.

At 56 I am in decent shape but gray & bald have been waging war on my head for the past 15 years or so. They seemingly have called a truce but unfortunately gray took on major casualties from bald.

I was a college wrestler so my definition of pudgy may be different than others. When I was 18, I wrestled at 112 lbs. When I was 19 and 20, I wrestled at 118. When I say I weighed 130 and was pudgy, that's in comparison to my competition weight. I was then, and am now, 5'5", so I suppose I'm a pale smurf, sure.

I didn't know you were a collegiate wrestler, but I remember you discussing your MMA training. Are you planning a fight? And, if so, what weight class?
I was, but abandoned the dream. Simply, there aren't enough hours in the day for me to be a productive employee, father, husband, and MMA fighter. I think it may be possible for a younger man to do all of that, but I find that I fall apart if I don't get 8 hours of sleep. I still train, but not as hard as I did at this point last year. I was going to try to fight at 135 - I was walking around at about 145, and a 10 lb cut wouldn't have killed me.

I got rather fat my sophomore year of college, so I really hope that it is 40 -- otherwise :yucky:

I ate a lot in college so I'm about 10lbs lighter now. Voted 40, though I'm still 5 years away.

My peak was 28-38. Worked out like a fiend and got laid like your sister at a seaport. It was a combo of dynamic good looks and a charm and bravado that chicks found irresistible. Good years indeed.

It's kind of amazing that for many guys this is at least a question. For women, they're already all on the downside at 40 and that's when they really begin to pick up speed. My 25th college reunion is in June and everyone I see from those days tells me I look exactly the same. How I wish that were true for the women, who were starting to look threadbare 5 years ago and now are either looking like Italian grandmas or the Crypt Keeper

Tough one for me. Probably equal in their own ways. My apex was right around 27/28. Of course I was in the middle of a 5 year relationship at the time that went nowhere. :kicksrock:

40 (well, 44 now) and it's no contest. Always had youthful looks so at 20 I still looked like a kid...a beer-bloated kid (20 was more *fun* than 40 for sure). Now I look like a man, have gotten into the best shape I've been in years and learned how to dress better without going all GQ. I'm lucky that I still have all of my hair which definitely helps.

Edit: To me at least, I think 40 should win hands down with most people if compared to 20. I think the tougher question would be 30 vs. 40.

Edit: I see the pole results contradict this. People let themselves go? Lost hair? What gives?

I not only have all my original hair, I seem to have acquired some that previously belonged to some simian and is rapidly filling in across my back, ears, etc

Edit: I see the pole results contradict this. People let themselves go? Lost hair? What gives?
Speaking for myself, I'm in much, much better shape now (at 46), but the hair on top of my head is long gone, whatever hair I have left elsewhere is turning grey, my skin is really starting to show its age (part sun damage, part old age) that moisturizing just isn't going to fix, and there's a tiredness around the eyes.

I don't really look anything like I did at 20 now, the 20 year old me was much better looking.

Users who are viewing this thread