What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Liking a new team? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
So you've been a fan your whole life for certain teams (and you will continue to root for these teams), but have you ever added a new team into the rotation?

Example:

I'm a lifelong Rangers fan and they will always be my number 1 in hockey, but the Islanders are moving to the Barclays Center which is less than a mile from my house. I've been watching them play and find myself rooting for them more and more. Almost debating going to the game tomorrow bc tickets are so cheap in comparison to Rangers tickets. If they play the Rangers, I obviously root for the Rangers.

Fair or foul?

Grew up a Tampa Bay Bucs fan and will be wherever I go. I'll cheer for the Titans when I'm in the stadium, but it's not the same. I'm not happy when they win or bummed when they lose, more like game over time to hit the sports bars. I never followed the Lightning and I go to Preds games a lot, so they're my hockey team.

Grew up a Tampa Bay Bucs fan and will be wherever I go. I'll cheer for the Titans when I'm in the stadium, but it's not the same. I'm not happy when they win or bummed when they lose, more like game over time to hit the sports bars. I never followed the Lightning and I go to Preds games a lot, so they're my hockey team.
Did you move from Tampa? I assume moving is the main reason for this kinda thing...

So you've been a fan your whole life for certain teams (and you will continue to root for these teams), but have you ever added a new team into the rotation?

Example:

I'm a lifelong Rangers fan and they will always be my number 1 in hockey, but the Islanders are moving to the Barclays Center which is less than a mile from my house. I've been watching them play and find myself rooting for them more and more. Almost debating going to the game tomorrow bc tickets are so cheap in comparison to Rangers tickets. If they play the Rangers, I obviously root for the Rangers.

Fair or foul?
Fair.

You have a local team become more local to your location...but....you have to take the Nets as well.

Foul. I don't root for the Marlins cause I live near them. All about the Amazins!!! Yes, they are getting pounded by the Yanks tonight.

Did you move from Tampa? I assume moving is the main reason for this kinda thing...
Yes. Been in Nashville about 10 years.

Fair. I am a sports fan above and beyond just a fan of my home team.

I happen to root for the local teams I grew up near, but it seems really pompus and silly to care who someone else roots for.

Now, being in Cleveland I do get ever so slightly annoyed with local fans who root for the Steelers and Baltimore (just regarding football for this one), but really if that is who they wanna root for, so be it.

Root for the team you like rather than let simpletons force you to root for your non-favorite teams.

Example:

Fair or foul?
Fair.

You have a local team become more local to your location...but....you have to take the Nets as well.
:lol:

I went to a few Nets games this year. I do root for them, but NBA is at the bottom of my checklist.

Similar. Cowboy fan since '71, but long ago Jerry forced my apathy and now that I live on the outskirts of Saints turf I find myself more of a Saints fan ... a very casual fan at that.

God Bless all you fans - of any team - that still take a loss like a donkey kick to the groin. I miss those days.

A Rangers fan rooting for the Islanders???

OOF
I know I know, but they're moving to a stadium that I can see from my rooftop. It's less than a dozen blocks from my house...
I'm a Rangers fan. I grew up a mile from the Devils home ice. I'd probably root for Al Queda before I rooted for the Devils or Islanders. :X
I hate the Devils too and I'm originally from NJ. Maybe this is why I don't have the same hatred for the Islanders.

A Rangers fan rooting for the Islanders???

OOF
I know I know, but they're moving to a stadium that I can see from my rooftop. It's less than a dozen blocks from my house...
I'm a Rangers fan. I grew up a mile from the Devils home ice. I'd probably root for Al Queda before I rooted for the Devils or Islanders. :X
Thank you for bringing some sanity to this. I mean...do whatever the hell you want, but if you find yourself kind of rooting for the Islanders already, you weren't much of a Rangers fan to begin with.

Aren't you a Niners fan despite first living in Jersey and now living in NY? So you were able to avoid becoming a Giants/Jets fan your whole life, two teams that have a fair amount and no history, respectively, with the Niners, but you find yourself rooting for the Islanders...a team whose former captain is still getting jeered by Rangers fans 35 years later? Something doesn't add up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Example:

Fair or foul?
That's a bit different since its still NY. Its not like you start rooting for the Flyers or Devils.

Typically I'll have a team I like from the opposite conference. I'm a Philly fan through and through but I have some rooting interest teams I like.

NBA - OKC Thunder

NHL - Minnesota Wild

MLB - Oakland Athletics

NFL - used to like the Oilers, now not really any but the Eagles.

fair. You can like whomever you wish. You are a grown ### man, you don't need to permission to like whomever you want.

edit: except for the raiders.

MLB- Mets

NFL- Jets

NBA- Hawks

Inherited Mets and Jets from father who only followed MLB and NFL. When I got into basketball, my choices were the Hawks or Knicks. Hawks had better uniforms and more exciting players so I chose them. When TBS dropped them for a TNT type schedule for the 94-95 season I was pretty pissed.

I had reason to root for another team but it proved impossible.

Aren't you a Niners fan despite first living in Jersey and now living in NY? So you were able to avoid becoming a Giants/Jets fan your whole life, two teams that have a fair amount and no history, respectively, with the Niners, but you find yourself rooting for the Islanders...a team whose former captain is still getting jeered by Rangers fans 35 years later? Something doesn't add up.
I grew up on Montana, Rice, Craig, Lott, Rathman, etc... My older bro was a Niners fan (which is where my original like for them came from) and so was I from as young as I can remember. I have no issues with the Jets, but absolutely hate the Giants.

I also don't mind the Mets even though I'm a Yankee fan.

I grew up in MN when there wasn't an NHL franchise. Moved to Chicago now a Blackhawks fan. Moving back to MN will prob switch to Wild

NFL Vikes only

NBA Wolves Bulls

NHL Wild (maybe Hawks on occasion)

MLB Twins Cubs

Always hate - Packers, Bears, White Sox

Not myself even though it would make sense.. I've now lived longer in Wisconsin then I did in Minnesota .. but I'll always be a Viking, Twins, Gopher fan...

But my cousin growing up was a huge Cowboy fan.. jersey's, hats, tshirts......never made sense with them living In Wisconsin.. :loco: ... then about 15 years he switched to being a Packer fan, threw all his cowboy stuff away and rebought all Packer stuff..

Not myself even though it would make sense.. I've now lived longer in Wisconsin then I did in Minnesota .. but I'll always be a Viking, Twins, Gopher fan...

But my cousin growing up was a huge Cowboy fan.. jersey's, hats, tshirts......never made sense with them living I Wisconsin.. :loco: ... then about 15 years he switched to being a Packer fan, threw all his cowboy stuff away and rebiught all Packer stuff..
He should get his ### kicked doing something like that.

But my cousin growing up was a huge Cowboy fan.. jersey's, hats, tshirts......never made sense with them living I Wisconsin.. :loco: ... then about 15 years he switched to being a Packer fan, threw all his cowboy stuff away and rebiught all Packer stuff..
He should get his ### kicked doing something like that.
:lol: best was when Favre joined the Vikings.. he bought one of the half packer, half Viking "4" jerseys that were being sold.

It's like having a wife and a mistress. Wife will always be #1 but you sometimes get a #2, and that #2 can change after they get a little boring/crazy/etc.

Live in Madison so I'm a huge Packers/ Badgers fan. While the Packers will always be my primary team I tend to also like NFL teams that have prominent former Badgers on their squad so I like to see the Seahawks and Texans do well. I'll also cheer for whatever team that Melvin Gordon goes too as well.

Heresy to me, but root for who you want to root for, I wouldn't judge anyone else's choice of a team. I've always been a "stick with the teams you grew up with" fan. Good and the bad. I grew up in the Philadelphia area, so I have never experienced a Super Bowl, one WS, no Stanley Cups, and no NBA titles in my lifetime. I still root for the teams I grew up with, and wouldn't consider switching. I've seen some bad teams so far in my life, makes it all the better when they win like the Phils in 08 after all those dreadful 90s and early 2000s teams. If the Birds ever get a SB, I'm about 100% positive I'll be out of work for a week and hammered the whole time.

Added one and dropped them too...

Grew up in Wisconsin...always fan of the in-state teams.

When we moved to TN...I picked up the Cubs for a bit. Only option to always see games at that time was Cubs or Braves because of TBS and WGN. Picked the Cubs (and at that point Brewers were in the AL so no real conflict) Then my brother lived in Chicago for a while not far from Wrigley. Still "pull" for them in a way...but with TV and being able to watch other games...I mostly am just a Brewers guy.

I slightly pull for the Titans...but never over the Packers. Just more of a want the local team to do well.

What do they call people like me to have one favorite team but like to watch like 50 other teams? I mean, I like sports, so...........................

I wouldn't say that I root for some Denver teams but they've become my second teams in some sports.

That said, I can not and will not root for the Broncos ever. Many of the football fans here are outrageous in their d-baggery. This definitely includes the "in-come-plete" chant.

What is it? Like a 30 minute subway ride to the Rangers?

:lmao:

Yeah root for one of their main rivals because they are ten minutes closer, makes sense to me. Brooklyn Dodgers fans rolling over in their graves right now.

Heresy to me, but root for who you want to root for, I wouldn't judge anyone else's choice of a team. I've always been a "stick with the teams you grew up with" fan. Good and the bad. I grew up in the Philadelphia area, so I have never experienced a Super Bowl, one WS, no Stanley Cups, and no NBA titles in my lifetime. I still root for the teams I grew up with, and wouldn't consider switching. I've seen some bad teams so far in my life, makes it all the better when they win like the Phils in 08 after all those dreadful 90s and early 2000s teams. If the Birds ever get a SB, I'm about 100% positive the entire city of Philadelphia will be out of work for a week and hammered the whole time.
Fixed it for you.

If you grew up thinking you wanted to play for one team, but now find you want to play for the other team, I think that's ok. You shouldn't hide your true feelings. You probably should have told your wife though.

I was born & grew up in Cleveland Ohio, but moved to the bay area in the early 80's. Right in time for when the 49ers dynasty began.

Not wanting to be considered a jump on the bandwagon fan, I stuck to primarily supporting my hometown Browns. I do follow the

local teams here for conversations sake but boy do I ever regret that decision.

fantasycurse42 said:

Example:

Fair or foul?
fantasycurse42 said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
For the past 15 years I've become a fan / followed different teams.

NFL - grew up a Lions fan, still care about the team. Followed the Chiefs while in KS and liked them but wouldn't call myself a real fan. Moved to TN and became a Titans fan, we plan to settle there and I've found myself caring more about them than the Lions, even after moving to NC. So now I'm primarily a Titans fan who also likes the Lions and follows the Panthers.

College - Dad is a big Blue fan, so I am a Michigan fan by birth. Went to college at EMU (near Ann Arbor) so I like the teams but they're not usually worth following. Went to law school at KU and am a Jayhawk by choice.

I only consider myself a fan of local teams. If my team is really bad (which is often the case) I'll find other teams to watch. But I tend to root for individual players on other teams more than the team itself.

I think it's fine to start casually rooting for a team that becomes local to you, but not a rival to your real team. C'mon man.

I think it's fine to start casually rooting for a team that becomes local to you, but not a rival to your real team. C'mon man.
True.

Felt weird for a minute to go from cheering for Kansas state while we lived in Manhattan to becoming a Jayhawk and cheering against them.

What really pissed me off though was Missouri leaving the big twelve.

Twice in my life I have changed loyalties due to a player.

I grew up in Western Montana. The closest big cities are Seattle, Denver, and Minneapolis, so most people are fans of teams from those areas. Not me though; I was a complete free agent.

For some reason, as I started becoming aware of MLB, I started rooting for the Expos: Gary Carter, Al Oliver, Tim Raines, Tim Wallach, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon, and my hero Andre Dawson. When Dawson signed with the Cubs, I became a Cubs fan and my loyalties remained there even after Dawson moved on to the Red Sox (and his career was pretty much shot).

I also grew up a fan of the Nuggets in basketball because I could pick up KOA radio late at night and listen to play-by-play of their games. When Tim Duncan emerged at Wake Forest, I started following him closely. By the time he was drafted into the NBA, English, Vandeweghe, and Issell were long gone from the Nuggets, so I became a Spurs fan and probably will remain one from now on.

Twice in my life I have changed loyalties due to a player.

I grew up in Western Montana. The closest big cities are Seattle, Denver, and Minneapolis, so most people are fans of teams from those areas. Not me though; I was a complete free agent.

For some reason, as I started becoming aware of MLB, I started rooting for the Expos: Gary Carter, Al Oliver, Tim Raines, Tim Wallach, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon, and my hero Andre Dawson. When Dawson signed with the Cubs, I became a Cubs fan and my loyalties remained there even after Dawson moved on to the Red Sox (and his career was pretty much shot).

I also grew up a fan of the Nuggets in basketball because I could pick up KOA radio late at night and listen to play-by-play of their games. When Tim Duncan emerged at Wake Forest, I started following him closely. By the time he was drafted into the NBA, English, Vandeweghe, and Issell were long gone from the Nuggets, so I became a Spurs fan and probably will remain one from now on.
Robinson and Duncan made many of us spurs fans.

I never understood this. It's like switching religions because the Methodists have a bigger parking lot or something.

Actually I see now you're just talking about going to the games because they're a few blocks away and the Rangers will always be your team. I say fine, it's hockey within walking distance, do it.

Users who are viewing this thread