What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home furnace giving up the ghost (1 Viewer)

I'll probably try to set appointments for Friday to get a few estimates. Maybe a Lennox guy, a Rheem guy, and a more general guy who may rep several choices. I'll not be too worried about carbon footprints or time to recover investment between various efficiencies. Rather I will be wondering about expected product life, warranties, zone heating to help keep my wife's yap shut about it being too hot or too cold (Its called menopause. 72 degrees cannot be both too hot and too cold within five minutes time. Stop ####### with the Thermostat.) and maybe relocating the unit in a spot which would allow better use of my basement.

You are looking at anywhere from $8500 - $12000 depending on what efficiency you go with. And that will depend on how long you are planning on staying in your house.

What city are you in? I may have a client in your area who is an hvac contractor.

You are looking at anywhere from $8500 - $12000 depending on what efficiency you go with. And that will depend on how long you are planning on staying in your house.

What city are you in? I may have a client in your area who is an hvac contractor.
This. I think deciding how long you will stay in your house will be key. If you're not leaving soon, get a combined heat/AC unit with high efficiency. It'll probably pay for itself within a few years. If you're temporary there, just get something that works for now. Nobody buys or doesn't buy a house because of the HVAC assuming it's new and it works.

This. I think deciding how long you will stay in your house will be key. If you're not leaving soon, get a combined heat/AC unit with high efficiency. It'll probably pay for itself within a few years. If you're temporary there, just get something that works for now. Nobody buys or doesn't buy a house because of the HVAC assuming it's new and it works.
Better check with Cliff Clavin.

We had a new AC and Furnace installed a couple of years ago (our house is 3800 sq ft). It was closer to $6k for both, but we didn't go with a high efficiency model, as we want to move soon.

2000 sqft.

I got water heater

AC - outside unit, a-coil etc etc

Furnace

New insulation in my attic

2000 sqft.

I got water heater

Furnace

I was hoping for the hit to be less than 8 K. I guess I was unrealistic. A couple of web sites I checked out last night had me believing I might bring this in at around 6 K buying Lennox or Rheem.

I'll have to call a few contractors later on.

We had a new AC and Furnace installed a couple of years ago (our house is 3800 sq ft). It was closer to $6k for both, but we didn't go with a high efficiency model, as we want to move soon.
Regional differences are kind of nutso...I had JUST my AC unit replaced (not the oil burner) on my downstairs set-up (Dual-zone), and it ran me $8K in NJ.

Regional differences are kind of nutso...I had JUST my AC unit replaced (not the oil burner) on my downstairs set-up (Dual-zone), and it ran me $8K in NJ.
Damn. Looks like I may have to recalibrate my expectations.

2000 sqft.

I got water heater

Furnace

I was hoping for the hit to be less than 8 K. I guess I was unrealistic. A couple of web sites I checked out last night had me believing I might bring this in at around 6 K buying Lennox or Rheem.

It's possible. It just really depends on what you put in. I have a client in Littleton. I sent him an email a few minutes ago just to make sure he comes to your area, so once he responds I'll PM you his information.

I pulled the original estimate.

The one we went with was a York 13 SEER, 4ton AC (10 year compressor, 10 year parts, 1 year labor) and a 80% efficiency Yourk 100k btu furnace (20 year heat exchanger, 10 year parts, 1 year labor). They installed a new programmable thermostat and a 5" whole home media filter. They also ran new copper from the compressor outside. Total cost - $5763 We could up it to a 95% efficiency furnace for $750 more, which we did.

2000 sqft.

I got water heater

Furnace

It's possible. It just really depends on what you put in. I have a client in Littleton. I sent him an email a few minutes ago just to make sure he comes to your area, so once he responds I'll PM you his information.
I appreciate that. Thanks so much.

2000 sqft.

I got water heater

Furnace

I appreciate that. Thanks so much.
PM sent.

So, Chief **** came through exactly as he said he would (thanks very much for the hook up. It is appreciated.) Depending on some choices yet to be made I would be looking at $9700 for Rheem equipment, 92% efficiency furnace and 16 SEER AC.

Lennox is advertising deals right now. They allege up to $2900 in savings buying both. Have an apt. this afternoon to get their estimate.

BTW, Chief ****'s guy showed up on my cul-de-sac 7 minutes early and then waited until precisely the appointment time to ring my door bell. Polite guy who seemed to know his stuff, as far as I would know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My outside compressor just went last night. Have three estimates coming tomorrow morning. The compressor is covered under the 10 year warranty. Labor and refrigerant, not so much. Looking at $800 - $1000 for new compressor.

Lennox estimate in at $12,500. They did offer $1000 back if I signed immediately and canceled any other apts. for estimates. their "coupon sale" offer of $2900 off relied on power company rebates for a power company that does not serve my area, and for me buying a system appropriate for an 8,000 sq. ft. house. for my home, nothing.

So it looks like you were dead on.

Users who are viewing this thread