What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

La'el Collins stock just dropped (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
Sorry if this has already been discussed....

Fairly or not, if this young man is innocent, he just lost a ton of money simply having his name tied to this investigation.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/04/29/police-seek-sit-down-with-nfl-prospect-after-pregnant-woman-murder/

Police in Louisiana want to talk to an LSU football star projected to go in the first round of Thursday's NFL draft, after a pregnant woman linked to him was shot dead in her home on Friday.

La'el Collins, a three-year starter and by some accounts the best offensive lineman in the draft, has not been named as a suspect in the shooting of Brittney Mills, 29, Friday night in the doorway of her Baton Rouge home, but police in Baton Rouge say they want to talk to him. Collins, 21, is believed to have been romantically-linked to Mills, but it is unclear if the baby, who survived, is his.

“There are numerous other people who are going to be interviewed,” Baton Rouge Police spokesman Lt. Johnny Dunnam told the Baton Rouge Advocate. “So he is one of many.”

Police are also interested in the results of a pregnancy test that could identify Collins as the father, Dunnam told the Shreveport Times.

First responders arrived at Mills' apartment shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday and found Mills, who was eight months' pregnant, dead from multiple gunshot wounds to the torso and the door ajar. Mills' body was was rushed to a hospital where her unborn son was successfully delivered. On Saturday, his condition stabilized, and officials say he is expected to live.

Jim Boren, the attorney for the 6-foot, 5-inch, 305-pound Collins, said he has been in touch with Baton Rouge detectives and said Collins, who is in Chicago to attend the draft, will cooperate. Boren, who called the timing of the investigation "poor," said a private investigator was hired to check out Collins' alibi and determined he was nowhere near the murder scene. Police believe Mills let someone she may have known into her apartment.

"We have identified where La'el was the day the lady was murdered to establish he was nowhere around," Boren told ESPN. "We have offered to give names, witnesses who can vouch for his whereabouts that day until after the woman's body was discovered."

Boren said Collins will meet with police when he returns to Louisiana following the draft.

The Times-Picayune reported that Collins is a former Eagle Scout and NFL scouts had described his background as squeaky-clean. But having his name mentioned in the context of a murder probe could scare teams off from drafting him, according to NFL experts.

NFL.com draft guru Mike Mayock rates Collins as the top offensive tackle coming out of the college ranks to play pro football. He would be in line to sign a multi-million-dollar contract if selected where Mayock projects him to go.

"The reason I have La'el Collins as my No. 1 tackle is because out of that whole group he's the only one where I bang the table and say: 'I think I know exactly what I'm getting," Mayock said in a recent interview, according to The Times-Picayune.

The Advocate spoke to Tia Mills, Collin's sister, who said the victim left behind two children. When asked about her sister's relationship with Collins, she said, "I'm going to let that play out the way it's supposed to."

Mills told the newspaper her family is mourning their loss and concerned about the children left behind.

“She left behind two kids,” Mills said, referring to her sister’s 10-year-old daughter and newborn son. “They’re going to grow up without their mom, and they didn’t deserve that.”

Just to clear things up a bit 1. He isn't a suspect 2. They've identified that he isn't a suspect. 3. They only want him for questioning because of his connection to the woman. Doubt it hurts his stock very much.

Schefter tweeted he is going to "prove his innocence"

I thought he wasn't a suspect...

Police said their preliminary investigation shows that Brittany Mills opened her apartment door to someone who wanted to use her car Friday night and was shot when she refused. Police rushed her to the hospital, where her infant was delivered and survived.
That's very specific information and sounds like there was a witness.

Police said their preliminary investigation shows that Brittany Mills opened her apartment door to someone who wanted to use her car Friday night and was shot when she refused. Police rushed her to the hospital, where her infant was delivered and survived.
Possibly her 10 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all over the radio, in Charlotte anyway because radio types have loved Collins, but I'm not really sure why.

From what I've read he isn't a suspect. Why would his stock drop because of this. I mean people here are saying he's lucky to go in the 4th round now.

This is all over the radio, in Charlotte anyway because radio types have loved Collins, but I'm not really sure why.

From what I've read he isn't a suspect. Why would his stock drop because of this. I mean people here are saying he's lucky to go in the 4th round now.
Cops always say this.

Shame on him for working with the police in an investigation.

Police have confirmed he isn't a suspect and he's provided alibis already from my understanding.

This isn't an Aaron Hernandez situation. Why would hit stock drop for knowing a girl who was shot?

Honestly, whoever broke this story should be hit with a brick upside the head for even trying to cast doubt on Collins in the slightest way without knowing the facts. The most important day in this kids life is coming up tomorrow and he's confirmed not to be a suspect, why try to ruin his draft stock?

Police have confirmed he isn't a suspect and he's provided alibis already from my understanding.

This isn't an Aaron Hernandez situation. Why would hit stock drop for knowing a girl who was shot?

Honestly, whoever broke this story should be hit with a brick upside the head for even trying to cast doubt on Collins in the slightest way without knowing the facts. The most important day in this kids life is coming up tomorrow and he's confirmed not to be a suspect, why try to ruin his draft stock?
He immediately lawyered up instead of talking to the police. That's suspicious to me. You weren't there and have alibis, tell the police directly if you have nothing to hide.

Aaron Hernandez wasn't a suspect either...

Haven't you all watched Dateline or 48 Hours Mystery - the cops saying he is not a suspect is a ploy to encourage a suspect to talk...

Cops always say this.
Yep. He may not have been the trigger man, but until someone is in custody he isn't in the clear. This timing is terrible, but I think it will hurt his draft stock. Even if he "isn't a suspect".

Getting a Rae Carruth feeling here.

Cops always say this.

He immediately lawyered up instead of talking to the police. That's suspicious to me. You weren't there and have alibis, tell the police directly if you have nothing to hide.
Glad you're on the case. This thing should be solved by tomorrow.

Most criminal lawyers will tell you not to talk to the police at all, guilty or innocent. Any inconsistency in one's statement for whatever reason, any faulty memory, any ties to nefarious people, etc., and they'll be all over you like flies on dung.

I haven't looked into the story at all, so no thoughts on that part of it. But if his agent didn't have him lawyer up immediately, he's terrible at his job.

Cops always say this.

Glad you're on the case. This thing should be solved by tomorrow.
Detective cstu on the scene folks. No need to worry. Just look at his stellar work in the Jameis thread.

I haven't looked into the story at all, so no thoughts on that part of it. But if his agent didn't have him lawyer up immediately, he's terrible at his job.
Yeah, pretty much this... getting a lawyer is your right as an American. It's not suspicious. If I were a First Round NFL prospect I'd get a lawyer if the Cops just wanted to talk to me about a traffic accident that happened out front of my house. That's not suspicious, it's just smart.

This BS is the same crap where people say "If you tell a cop he can't search the car, it's suspicious". No dammit, suspicious is having a dime bag on your floor. Telling the cop he can't search your car is just using your rights. Whether you have something to hide or not, once you say "Yes" it opens the door for them to start finding anything to charge you with.

Same goes for this situation, get a lawyer so you don't accidentally say something stupid that could potentially make you a suspect. All it takes is for you to say you know one of their actual suspects for them to start investigating you for an accessory charge.

Tl;dr: This is smart, not suspicious.

Just saw Brandon Scherff on the screen and on the crawl at the bottom of the screen said that it might rain today. Hope this drops him down to pick #17.

Breaking News: Dante Fowler was seen paying for a bottle of water 3 days before a Florida convenience store was robbed. He was in Chicago at the time of the robbery. Is he a suspect? What does this do to his draft stock. Click here to find out!

1. I think La’el Collins, the LSU tackle projected to be a first-round draft choice, has a problem. A pregnant woman Collins apparently knew was murdered last week in Louisiana, and police want to speak with Collins. Police say he is not a suspect. But one team I talked to that is interested in drafting a tackle in the first round is now re-thinking whether Collins will even be on its board on Thursday night. This team’s thinking goes: How can you draft a guy who’s being sought in connection with the death of a woman, even if police are saying now he isn’t a suspect? He needs to be exonerated by Thursday. Fair or unfair, Collins needs to address this today, and with finality.
from MMQB.

If he's not a suspect and they don't think he had anything to do with the murder, then why would they want him to come in for questioning? I have a hard time believing that they'd want to question him if they didn't think he may have some information about the murder.

The latest I read said that he's going to skip the draft and head back now to talk to the police. Probably a wise decision to skip the draft regardless at this point.

Breaking News: Dante Fowler was seen paying for a bottle of water 3 days before a Florida convenience store was robbed. He was in Chicago at the time of the robbery. Is he a suspect? What does this do to his draft stock. Click here to find out!
Did he possibly impregnate that bottle of water?

NFL.com draft guru Mike Mayock rates Collins as the top offensive tackle coming out of the college ranks to play pro football. He would be in line to sign a multi-million-dollar contract if selected where Mayock projects him to go.
Odd phrasing. Is this to distinguish from Mayock's ratings for the OT's coming out of college to open restaurants?

If he's not a suspect and they don't think he had anything to do with the murder, then why would they want him to come in for questioning? I have a hard time believing that they'd want to question him if they didn't think he may have some information about the murder.

The latest I read said that he's going to skip the draft and head back now to talk to the police. Probably a wise decision to skip the draft regardless at this point.
Why? There could be numerous reasons why, have they explained the connection between Collins and the girl? All I've read is that he has connections with her.

Was the baby his?

Did they used to date?

Maybe Collins was mentioned as a witness who saw a fight between the girl and someone else?

There a million reasons why the police would want to question him.

That said, if I'm not mistaken the original early reports (within the first 24 hours) of the Hernandez incident were police saying he wasn't a suspect as well if I'm not mistaken?

It's even odder when you consider they know exactly what this questioning means with respect to his employment status and future earnings. Doesn't mean he's guilty, and everybody should lawyer up, but it also doesn't look good for him (speaking as an outsider to any information).

Again, they wouldn't have him fly all the way back to Louisiana for questioning if he wasn't at least a potential suspect.

If he is not involved this totally sucks...

but of course it could impact his draft position

I mean, if you interviewed a guy for a job and your boss wanted a choice the next day and that night you heard he was wanted for questioning in regards to the shooting of a pregnant woman wouldn't you recommend hiring the other guy?

Again, they wouldn't have him fly all the way back to Louisiana for questioning if he wasn't at least a potential suspect.
As I said, do we know his relationship with the murder suspect? She was pregnant. It's possible the child was his and that's why he's flying back. Nowhere does it say he was told to fly back by police. I read that he opted to skip the draft and fly down. It's very possible that the woman was his girlfriend and the child his or something of that nature.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/lael-collins-draft-stock-in-question-after-ex-girlfriends-murder/

Police told the NFL Network they want to establish if Collins — who the network said hadn’t had contact with Mills since September — is the father of the child, while ESPN reported investigators want to see if Collins “can provide them with information.”
As I said, I'm thinking Collins is actually the father of the child and that's why he's dropping everything to fly down. They're probably going to run a DNA test to see if Collins is the father and ask him for any information he can provide.

Well, it's bad luck for him at the worst possible time if he had no involvement. However, I think it is fair for NFL teams to be terrified about the prospect of using a top 15 pick without 100% certainty. We're not that far removed from Rae Carruth, and it's not completely unfathomable to consider the possibility of a 1st round pick wanting to shed loose ends before a huge payday. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

Well, it's bad luck for him at the worst possible time if he had no involvement. However, I think it is fair for NFL teams to be terrified about the prospect of using a top 15 pick without 100% certainty. We're not that far removed from Rae Carruth, and it's not completely unfathomable to consider the possibility of a 1st round pick wanting to shed loose ends before a huge payday. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.
This works out fine, now the Giants can draft a DE in the first round and watch Collins slip to them in the 2nd round and get a Top 15 talent for half price because teams over-react.

based off what?

the cops said he isnt a suspect but you get a feeling of him killing her because the cops want to ask him some questions?

that escalated quickly.
His own lawyer used the term "suspect" multiple times. It is reasonable to assume he is a suspect, even if the police aren't saying it.

In a story published Tuesday, Collins’ lawyer, Jim Boren, told ESPN that he has “tried to rule [Collins] out as a suspect” and has hired a private investigative firm to aid in the efforts of establishing where he was when the crime occurred.

Said Boren, according to ESPN: “We have identified where La’el was the day the lady was murdered to establish he was nowhere around. We have offered to give names, witnesses who can vouch for his whereabouts that day until after the woman’s body was discovered. We believe that when [police] have verified that information, that they will rule him out as a suspect in the homicide, just as I believe he should be.”

This works out fine, now the Giants can draft a DE in the first round and watch Collins slip to them in the 2nd round and get a Top 15 talent for half price because teams over-react.
Right, if they want to risk throwing the 2nd into the ocean in 2 weeks when/if he's implicated. I agree with someone else who mentioned "he's not a suspect' is somewhat cliché police speak.

Maybe she lived in an apartment, and somebody made a commotion beforehand (raising voice), which could have got the attention of neighbors. It seems unlikely a perp fitting the description of a 6'4", 300+ lb. NFL-sized OL was facially IDed by one or more witnesses at the scene, and saw him shoot several times through the deceased's door, or that would seem to be grounds for a warrant on a gun powder residue forensics test?

One question I have is whether the paternity test was already scheduled prior to the shooting, or after?

Mayock isn't the only scout that has him as the top OT in the draft. Coyle has him as the top guard (with Scherff ranked as top OT). Nothing wrong with his pass pro metrics (below), he is one of the better run blockers, and has the versatility to maybe play four positions, everything but center. He was reportedly one of the most highly recruited OL in LA state history.

"LSU OL La'El Collins tied for first in College Football Focus' pass-blocking efficiency metric.

He shared the honor with Northern Illinois' Ryan Brown. You know that we love Collins and rank him as the No. 1 offensive lineman in the class, believing he can stick at left tackle. Here's the numbers to back up the assertion: Collins allowed no sacks, zero hits and only four hurries on 312 pass-blocking plays. Remember that on draft day when it is suggested Collins could struggle with pass pro in the NFL." Apr 23 - 7:45 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132727/lael-collins

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/lael-collins-draft-stock-in-question-after-ex-girlfriends-murder/

Police told the NFL Network they want to establish if Collins — who the network said hadn’t had contact with Mills since September — is the father of the child, while ESPN reported investigators want to see if Collins “can provide them with information.”
As I said, I'm thinking Collins is actually the father of the child and that's why he's dropping everything to fly down. They're probably going to run a DNA test to see if Collins is the father and ask him for any information he can provide.
And, if he is the father, he certainly would want to be with his kid and the family of the mother.

I guess it is possible that he had a hit put out on this lady while he was going to Chicago in the week leading up to the draft. But, damn, that is a combination of crazy and stupid that is hard to believe.

Maybe she lived in an apartment, and somebody made a commotion beforehand (raising voice), which could have got the attention of neighbors. It seems unlikely a perp fitting the description of a 6'4", 300+ lb. NFL-sized OL was facially IDed by one or more witnesses at the scene, and saw him shoot several times through the deceased's door, or that would seem to be grounds for a warrant on a gun powder residue forensics test?

One question I have is whether the paternity test was already scheduled prior to the shooting, or after?
That is a good question. I looked into this a little bit. Sounds like you can do a paternity test while the women is still pregnant. The problem is these tests run between 1-2 thousand dollars. Its more common to wait for the birth and go a cheaper route. So my pure assumption is this was after the shooting...

It also sounds like La'el left for Chicago after he heard of the murder. Some website reported he had only been in Chicago for a couple days. The shooting happened Friday night. Nothing confirmed, and no confirmation if he was even in LA during the shooting, but things are looking a bit shady to me.

Fine if someone wants to say "he isn't a suspect", but please also tell me you think the story of her being murdered over not lending someone her car sounds legit in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread