What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Resignation via email (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Just had an employee resign with an email. Is this ever OK? In what circumstance?

Personally, I would never, ever do it. Whenever I've left a company I always had the courtesy to speak to my boss directly. Twice I've called CEO's to let them know (one I loved, the other I despised, but gave both the courtesy) and once I flew to HQ on my own dime to tell our President face/face. Always uncomfortable conversations, but I always felt one had to man up and do what's right. A formal resignation letter should follow telling your boss, correct?

I'm so pissed at this guy....

Just had an employee resign with an email. Is this ever OK? In what circumstance?

Personally, I would never, ever do it. Whenever I've left a company I always had the courtesy to speak to my boss directly. Twice I've called CEO's to let them know (one I loved, the other I despised, but gave both the courtesy) and once I flew to HQ on my own dime to tell our President face/face. Always uncomfortable conversations, but I always felt one had to man up and do what's right. A formal resignation letter should follow telling your boss, correct?

judge, not the same guy who got "sick" after drinking at the strip club all night was it?

the email thing very unprofessional IMO

judge, not the same guy who got "sick" after drinking at the strip club all night was it?

This was my first question too.

Happened to me once in the middle of a quarter close about 10 years ago. He was my replacement after I got promoted to manager and he just couldn't hack it. It was a warehouse lead position and the guy was just a schmuck. He sent the email after everyone else had left for the night and he left about a half days work that he assured was already done.

It was just a warehouse position but it still pisses me off to this day.

Maybe you're a terrible boss, why would he give you notice that he's quitting when you can't do your job correctly?

Maybe you're a terrible boss, why would he give you notice that he's quitting when you can't do your job correctly?
Bingo.

a neighbor's kid, i know, just did this (22 yo) i know the gm who received the email. he couldn't believe it and just laughed it off as millennial dooshbaggery. laughing at the terrible grammar and how vapid the email was. my wife is best friends with the kids mom, she passed on this info...........turns out the mom wrote the email. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i have been forbidden to mention it to the mom

##### move...

Although IIRC you run an inside sales team for a software startup? Let me ask, does your company basically tell the inside sales guys to leave when they resign as opposed to two weeks, as I do know a few companies that pull this. If this was the case, slightly less ##### move, but still a ##### move.

judge, not the same guy who got "sick" after drinking at the strip club all night was it?the email thing very unprofessional IMO

Get over it. With social media, email, etc...I don't think it's a big deal at all. He quit. He didn't want to work there anymore. He doesn't owe you any courtesy. You might have preferred it, but you were not owed it.

Email of resignation. Don't really see the big deal. Email or printed letter delivered in person, the person is resigning. I don't see it as any sort of bridge burner.

Get over it. With social media, email, etc...I don't think it's a big deal at all. He quit. He didn't want to work there anymore. He doesn't owe you any courtesy. You might have preferred it, but you were not owed it.
This. It's not how I would have done it, but I wouldn't care if someone did it to me. What's the difference? I need to replace them and I'd already be thinking about finding the next person. Not whether the last person "showed me enough respect."

Last edited by a moderator:
This. It's not how I would have done it, but I wouldn't care if someone did it to me. What's the difference? I need to replace them and I'd already be thinking about finding the next person. Not whether the last person "showed me enough respect."
Same here. Not how I would have handled it, but who cares? The guy quit. And you don't have to hire him back should he come looking for re-employment. Though I doubt that would happen here.

My wife helped a "friend" or ours get a job at her workplace about a year ago. He resigned a month later via Facebook messneger.
I don't help others get jobs for this reason.

I got my brother in law an interview one time. He proceeded to show up 30 mins late, so that was my one and only time. Too high a chance it'll bit you in the ###. I don't even like giving letters of recommendation.

a neighbor's kid, i know, just did this (22 yo) i know the gm who received the email. he couldn't believe it and just laughed it off as millennial dooshbaggery. laughing at the terrible grammar and how vapid the email was. my wife is best friends with the kids mom, she passed on this info...........turns out the mom wrote the email. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Shelby.

A woman where I work recently quit by typing her resignation letter out and leaving it on her boss' desk for him to see when he first got to work in the morning. I thought that was low budget. I know she was stung by them promoting her twice, but never following through on the raises they promised (she got them, but they weren't what she thought they would be), but I thought that was LB.

Call me old school, but if you are gonna quit, man up and tell your boss to his face.

I had one of these about 6 weeks ago - I was surprised at how unpro she was.

She did me a huge favor in retrospect.

So are we saying he gave no notice? And are you saying that's something you do with some frequency? But at least face to face? Because if he gave notice then I'd go with get over yourself. If he didn't and this is the kind of sector where that is common given you've done it 3 times then I'd go with get over yourself. It's a virtual world nowadays.

Last resignation that I e-mailed, I at least had the courtesy to attach a penis pic. Granted, it wasn't my penis but I think it's resulted in positive references.

I can't tell if you're mad about the lack of notice or perceived lack of respect. Lack of sufficient notice is inconsiderate. The perceived lack of respect is on you. What difference does it make to anything if he tells you in person, phone call, letter, or email?

Shelby.
shut your hole and go the #### home!! :thumbup:

He told you he quit. Get over it. He owed you nothing more.
I'm pretty much here. Folks have to be sure I caught it because I'm a dinosaur--but if you find a way to get through then I'll handle it. I've always told my people that it doesn't matter what your attitude is just be responsible enough to tell me straight so I know who and what I'm dealing with.

I had a guy quit via text... While I was on vacation.

Is it ok? I don't know. It's unprofessional and is a poor way to exit but it depends on what type of position the guy had with the company. Was he a young, fairly low-paid worker who had been with the company for less than a year? If so, it's what you can expect.

When an employer terminates an employee, it is almost always effective immediately.

But when an employee resigns, he's expected to give two weeks' notice.

Double standard?

Such a chicken#### move.

I've always done it face to face. The last time my boss was working from home. I drove to his house and told him in person.

When I was applying for jobs toward the end of college years ago, I was going for an opening at a place where I had done a lot of part-time work for about four years.

Never got to interview. The big boss called my college part-time job and left a message with another co-worker to tell me that they were promoting someone else.

Guess it works both ways.

Hilarious.

When an employer terminates an employee, it is almost always effective immediately.

But when an employee resigns, he's expected to give two weeks' notice.

Double standard?
:goodposting:

I agree with this 110%. However, I'm old school and would have done it to his face instead of via email.

I find that about 95% of the time that the people that give two weeks notice don't really do #### for those two weeks anyways because, y'know, THEY'RE QUITTING and don't really give two ####s so they're going to coast for two weeks and make everyone's job harder anyways.

##### move on his part, though.

If your thought processes at work are anything like the thought processes of your posts in the Tiger Woods thread, consider yourself lucky that you got a resignation at all.

We had a guy resign by text message. Waited until the whole sales team was in training and snuck in to put his computer on the boss's desk.

Users who are viewing this thread