What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you fly an American flag in front of your house? (1 Viewer)

Do you fly an American flag?

• Yes, year round

Votes: 54 20.3%
  • Yes, but only during certain times of year, like Memorial Day and 4th of July

Votes: 59 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 153 57.5%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
Yesterday I installed a bracket out front and began flying the ol' Stars and Stripes. I noticed some folks in the neighborhood do, others don't.

Do you? Bonus points if you explain why or why not.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Mostly because there are guidelines for displaying the flag (sunrise to sunset or keeping it illuminated in the dark, taking it down in inclement weather) that would be a pain to follow, and I'd feel bad if I didn't follow them.

No. Mostly because there are guidelines for displaying the flag (sunrise to sunset or keeping it illuminated in the dark, taking it down in inclement weather) that would be a pain to follow, and I'd feel bad if I didn't follow them.
I wasn't aware of these. :bag:

I did however get a couple of cheap solar lights for the illumination point. Seem to work well. But the weather thing, that sounds tough.

I did however get a couple of cheap solar lights for the illumination point. Seem to work well. But the weather thing, that sounds tough.
I think it's okay to leave up if you get an all weather flag as you don't have to deal with tropical storms and hurricanes that would thrash a flag like down here on the gulf. Just make sure to check it periodically for wear, and replace it if it becomes worn. And keep it lit up at night. Are the solar lights spots?

I think it's okay to leave up if you get an all weather flag as you don't have to deal with tropical storms and hurricanes that would thrash a flag like down here on the gulf. Just make sure to check it periodically for wear, and replace it if it becomes worn. And keep it lit up at night. Are the solar lights spots?
Ok, makes sense.

The solar lights are spotlights. I bought everything on Amazon, and bought lights that popped up with the "Customers who bought this item also bought" section. Stick em into the ground on the included stake, and you're done.

Our house, before the previous owner, used to have a full on flag pole out front (we saw in some old pictures), had to be 20 feet tall or more. I thought it looked great, don't know why they took it down. I did, however, find it behind the garage a couple weeks ago. I went the route of the small flag out on front of the house, but one day may just consider putting up the big pole again. To biggie's point on illumination, now they have solar lights that go at the top of the flagpole to illuminate these, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I fly it most of the year. Have an all-weather flag, and my outdoor light shines on it.

Why do I do it? Pride for country, and I want my kids to grow up respecting it and what it means. Never want them to lose sight of that.

Also for the people I know that have fought under that flag.

I have a flag rotation, my American flag goes up around Memorial Day and July 4th and other times when theres no other "season" that I have a flag for. While I know the guidelines that BB mentioned, I honestly don't think anyone is going to think I'm disrespecting the flag bc I don't follow them at my house.

I have a flag rotation, my American flag goes up around Memorial Day and July 4th and other times when theres no other "season" that I have a flag for. While I know the guidelines that BB mentioned, I honestly don't think anyone is going to think I'm disrespecting the flag bc I don't follow them at my house.
This where I am, too. I don't have a dedicated light spotted on mine, for instance, though it's lit ambiently by the solar garden lights below and the street light across the road. So sue me.

This where I am, too. I don't have a dedicated light spotted on mine, for instance, though it's lit ambiently by the solar garden lights below and the street light across the road. So sue me.
:thumbup:

Did at our old house.

Never got around to mounting a bracket in the brick of the new house (new as in 8 years ago) and the columns on the front porch are round making mounting on them more difficult.

yep because in any other country a dummy like me would not have a shot and here i have a roof and a job and peace pretty damned great and thanks to those who died defending it take that to the bank

Yes, on certain days. Sometimes I also fly the flag of Vatican City, and sometimes a Chicago Bears flag as well.

Not only do I fly one in front of the house, I have one in each room inside the house.

License plate holder has one, plus a decal on the rear window.

Also, multiple tattoos.

It is impossible to overdo the flag of our great Uncle.

I do from spring through fall. Winter where I live is too hard on flags and also the flag does not go well with Christmas decorations, which is a consideration for my wife.

In my home office I have one in a display case. It was used to cover my Grandfather's coffin when he was interred at Arlington. I keep it out of respect for my mother who is still alive.

We have two other full sized flags that are displayed, in addition to our regular flag, on Memorial day, the Fourth of July, and Veterans day.

Recently I received a flag, a uniform, and the medals received by my best friend's father during WWII. My friend having passed without progeny his mother, now in her 90's did not know what to do with them. I have had the items cleaned and preserved and am trying to find an appropriate home for the items. The man fought in WWII at many battles, most famously the Battle of the Bulge before being wounded, captured and interred at a German prison camp. Being Jewish his treatment was horrendous. I like to think that maybe the items have some historic value to someone. We shall see.

I was also able to go to a flag retirement ceremony last year. Son is now in Boy Scouts but then in Cub Scouts and got to help prep the flags for retirement. Very cool ceremony.

As much as I don't agree with a lot of what Scouts does...things like that, and yesterday they were out placing flags at the Veterans Cemetery...things like that always make me happy he tried Scouts.

I do year-round.
On a 20 foot flagpole no less. :bowtie:
Mine is mounted to the house similar to what I think Otis is doing. The way my property is set up, putting a pole in the ground wouldn't look right. I will take it down if they're calling for high winds, as it's one of those 2-piece poles you buy at Lowes. A big gust will take the upper portion away.
Mine came down in the remnants of Ike a couple years back. I added cement on the inside of the pole to give it a lower center of gravity. No problems since.

Not only do I fly one in front of the house, I have one in each room inside the house.

Also, multiple tattoos.

:lol: You can be an interesting poster so don't go anywhere, but you cross the line of caricature a tad much.

Also, multiple tattoos.

:lol: You can be an interesting poster so don't go anywhere, but you cross the line of caricature a tad much.
I did not like you when you beat my team in the 1980 tournament.

I really hated that you went to Indiana instead of Illinois.

But now, I'm over all that and I am a big fan.

Full disclosure, however: I am also a huge fan of Yinka Dare.

Da Guru said:
We keep a small one out in one of our flowers beds year round.
I usually use a landscaping barrier but I suppose the American flag would work also.

Users who are viewing this thread