What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Connection to Fame (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Just curious how close you are to fame. Did you live next door to Shaq? Sleep with Burt Renold's mustache? Mow the lawn for Gilbert Gottfried? Deliver a wedding cake to Barbra Streisand? You get the picture. Post your connections here.

As a liily white Detroit suburban boy back in the late sixties our hometown held a benefit basketball game at the high school vs the Lions. After the game seeking autographs we somehow wandered into the pool area and I was left with an indelible mark from my youth. The players were swimming naked and I noticed my favorite player Lem Barney

When we got home my mom asked how the game was and I blurted out I saw Lem Barney's dodo (slang for the mule in our family back then?). My mom had this perplexed look on her face and my dad just kinda looked at her and shrugged his shoulders.

On the same theme now in my 30's I was at a Red Wings game with my friends. It was time to head to the bathroom and while I'm doing my business at the urinal I realize next to me it is Vinnie Johnson from the bad boy era. I get back to where my buddies were and could not stop laughing, they turned to me and asked what the hell is up and I stated I just saw Vinnie's Johnson.

As a liily white Detroit suburban boy back in the late sixties our hometown held a benefit basketball game at the high school vs the Lions. After the game seeking autographs we somehow wandered into the pool area and I was left with an indelible mark from my youth. The players were swimming naked and I noticed my favorite player Lem Barney

When we got home my mom asked how the game was and I blurted out I saw Lem Barney's dodo (slang for the mule in our family back then?). My mom had this perplexed look on her face and my dad just kinda looked at her and shrugged his shoulders.

On the same theme now in my 30's I was at a Red Wings game with my friends. It was time to head to the bathroom and while I'm doing my business at the urinal I realize next to me it is Vinnie Johnson from the bad boy era. I get back to where my buddies were and could not stop laughing, they turned to me and asked what the hell is up and I stated I just saw Vinnie's Johnson.
Dodo?

Dodo?
:lmao: I thought this: Maybe Mom and Dad hadn't, um, gotten along in a while and Dad had named his penis the dodo. The funnier part of this is that his recollection of his Mom's look and Dad's shrug might have been something a little deeper than a simple youthful use of a nickname for a penis.

1996-1997 Eddie Vedder and I emailed back and forth and he called me twice, got put on the guest list for the Santa Cruz warm up show before they opened for the Stones in Oakland. My buddy is the guitarist for Modest Mouse and I get to hang backstage with them dudes....

Last edited by a moderator:
I punched Mike Tyson (more of a love tap) in an elevator at a hotel on the River Walk back in the late 90's and smoked a blunt with Oscar Davenport back in college. No surprise he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. I also got passed by Ray Liotta in a 10k in Spokane 5 years ago.

Dodo?
:lmao: I thought this: Maybe Mom and Dad hadn't, um, gotten along in a while and Dad had named his penis the dodo.
More likely it was the mom who came up with the name "Dodo".

Used to be real good buddies with Mike Sorrentino on the Jersey Shore in my late teens early 20's.

Also used to hang out with the Fat Jew back when he was in Team Facelift... Funny dude, glad he is finally seeing success. If you haven't heard of him, you will soon. He's got almost 5 million Instagram followers.

AAABatteries said:
dmac37 said:

Dodo?
Mule?

fantasycurse42 said:
Used to be real good buddies with Mike Sorrentino on the Jersey Shore in my late teens early 20's.

Also used to hang out with the Fat Jew back when he was in Team Facelift... Funny dude, glad he is finally seeing success. If you haven't heard of him, you will soon. He's got almost 5 million Instagram followers.
Your name Leo by any chance?

My cousin is married to the lead singer from the Lumineers. I sat with them at the wedding. Also, served axle rose for a week back in the 90's. He wanted four of us to be at his beck and call when he stayed at a resort in Sedona, AZ. Easiest money i have ever made. Weird dude but low key and a good tipper.

chauncey said:
I punched Mike Tyson (more of a love tap) in an elevator at a hotel on the River Walk back in the late 90's and smoked a blunt with Oscar Davenport back in college. No surprise he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. I also got passed by Ray Liotta in a 10k in Spokane 5 years ago.
I am calling BS on this...I have been around him several times...that is one unstable individual.

A few brushes with the semi-famous:

In 1976, Downtown Freddy Brown and Slick Watts visited my younger brother at Seattle Children's Hospital a few months before he died of leukemia. I'll always love those guys for that.

Jason Finn, drummer for the POTUSA and Love Battery, was a good friend in elementary school.

I played pick-up hoops with Ryne Sandberg in 1983. His brother, Del, was my high school bball coach.

In my senior year of high school I played vs. Kasey Keller. He was the GK as an underclassman at North Thurston HS and I was a MF at Capital HS. He was pretty great as a 16 year old

A few brushes with the semi-famous:

In 1976, Downtown Freddy Brown and Slick Watts visited my younger brother at Seattle Children's Hospital a few months before he died of leukemia. I'll always love those guys for that.

Jason Finn, drummer for the POTUSA and Love Battery, was a good friend in elementary school.

I played pick-up hoops with Ryne Sandberg in 1983. His brother, Del, was my high school bball coach.

In my senior year of high school I played vs. Kasey Keller. He was the GK as an underclassman at North Thurston HS and I was a MF at Capital HS. He was pretty great as a 16 year old
Huh. I still really like Love Battery and always loved POTUSA. I especially loved Love Battery's "Between The Eyes" album. Still have it on cassette and still listen to it every so often. Even though it seems pretty firmly within its time and era, it never gets dated, at least to me.

Very cool.

When I was in HS, my mom worked with Ralph Macchio's wife at a doctor's office. He was at my house for a company christmas party once.

I've mentioned before that I lived 2 doors down from Jerry Sandusky. Also lived next door to the late, great Charlie Sifford and down the street from the not late, not as great Earl Boykins.

A friend of mine from high school is a renowned director for a large studio. His movies have grossed over a billion dollars to date and he even has an Academy Award to his credit.

I've spent close to an hour talking 1 on 1 with Robert Smith of The Cure on several occasions back in 1996 and 2000. Also the other band members here and there. Trey Parker is a big Cure fan and I had him added to the guest list at a show in LA when he requested it through a friend of mine.

Was in Hawaii when I was 14 and there was an NFL QB golf tournament at our hotel. Met John Elway, Frank Gifford, and Dan Fouts. Was a big Packers fan at the time so the highlight for me was a picture with Lynn Dickey. lol

Stood next to Prince for a while in Minneapolis when he was filming Purple Rain.

My dad is the king of brushes with fame since he worked for the airlines in the 70s when celebrities still flew commercial. Mohammed Ali, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Stan Musial, Johnny Bench, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, Tom Jones, Dionne Warwick are a bunch I can think of off the top of my head. He used to get autographs for me when I was a kid. All just pen on scrap paper which are faded to nothing now.

When my wife was a kid she used to play Atari 2600 with the screenwriter for the upcoming movie Pixels.

A friend of mine from high school is a renowned director for a large studio. His movies have grossed over a billion dollars to date and he even has an Academy Award to his credit.
One of my best friends in HS (and my writing partner in those days) has close to a billion dollars in gross on movies he's written but hasn't come within a thousand miles of an Academy Award.

Hung out numerous times with Winton Marselis and other members of his fam (My dad was Bass Clarinetist for the Baltimore Symphony for 50 years, met most of the top classical players of our time. Yo-Yo Ma, Isaac Perlman, James Galway...)

Oh, and smoked weed, hung out and even texted a couple times with B-Reel and Cypress Hill

In high school, I was names player of the game for the local cable channel's game of the week. So, I guess that answers this question for all of you.

I was a waiter when I was in college. During that time, I served Ernest Borgnine, Ron Howard, Tom Hanks and Loni Anderson. All were very cordial and good tippers.

Many years ago, I was trout fishing in far Northern California. I was reeling in my line when I heard footsteps approaching me from behind.

A gravelly voice asked, "How's the bite?"

I turned around and it was Clint freaking Eastwood! This was right around the time when Heartbreak Ridge came out. We talked fishin' for a bit then went our seperate ways. Very cool dude and he couldn't have been nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread