What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most impressive rookie or 2nd year hitters? (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Not gonna add a poll since it is too early for some, but this batch of 1st and 2nd year impact players has really been impressive.

Gregory Polanco
Jose Abreu
Jorge Soler
Kris Bryant
Joc Pederson
Addison (chick's name) Russell
Carlos Correa
Byron Buxton
Maikel Franco
Joey Gallo
George Springer
Mookie Betts
Xander Bogaerts

Kyle Schwarber

Randall Grichuk

Miguel Sano

Lots of power, speed, and future superstars there. Lots of K's also, way too many infact. Joc Peterson and Gallo might be two guys that can K 150+ times, yet remain elite or near elite hitters.

Of all those guys Carlos Correa impresses me most, he doesn't give away at bats, has monster power, and is a pretty good shortstop to boot.

Really exciting time right now to be a fan of the game. Who you like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Franco flying under the radar playing for such a ####astic team. 10 RBI in two games vs the Yanks.
Making this team just slightly watchable again, so much fun to watch. Did an interview recently, and has been doing more fielding work and putting in overtime to get better at third. Hope he turns into a total package, will be interesting when he starts to regress as time moves on and teams get a book on him to see how he handles it.

I love watching George Springer play. If he can get his contact rate to something just below average instead of abysmal he becomes a more athletic Stanton.

Kris Bryant is so smooth already. I read that he was the first batter this year to hit an HR off of Kershaw's curve.

Not gonna add a poll since it is too early for some,
Ah, Ben Grieve. What happened? When I first saw him I thought his swing was as quick and as strong as Mattingly. He disappeared fast.

I would consider adding Randal Grichuk to that list. Since he's started getting consistent playing time in Holliday's absence, he's starting to show what he can do. Just to compare, he's had less than half the plate appearances of Joc Pederson (295 to 133), but has a higher BA, more doubles/triples, and half the RBIs. The only thing lacking is the HR pace, and Grichuk still has 6 HRs in his somewhat limited time. He's a got good speed as well and is a threat to steal.

His bat speed is phenomenal.

Kris Bryant is awesome, but I am biased. Yesterday they mentioned he's leading the league in working a full count after being down 0-2 or something like that.

Franco flying under the radar playing for such a ####astic team. 10 RBI in two games vs the Yanks.
Interesting side-note to this... several years ago, the Yankees and Phillies were in a bidding war for Maikel and the Phils outbid them by $5k (Yanks offered $95k and the Phils offered $100k).

I would consider adding Randal Grichuk to that list. Since he's started getting consistent playing time in Holliday's absence, he's starting to show what he can do. Just to compare, he's had less than half the plate appearances of Joc Pederson (295 to 133), but has a higher BA, more doubles/triples, and half the RBIs. The only thing lacking is the HR pace, and Grichuk still has 6 HRs in his somewhat limited time. He's a got good speed as well and is a threat to steal.

His bat speed is phenomenal.
Definitely keeps the area around home plate cool.

On that list above, only Franco, Pederson, and Correa have a higher OPS than Grichuk. And only Franco and Correa top Grichuk's .563 slugging.

He's done that hitting from multiple spots in the lineup as well including lead-off down to the 8th spot and multiple pinch hit appearances.

Grichuk blasts one into Big Mac land off of Sale and then motors out a double on his next at bat.
Yeah he looks pretty good, I had a few posts about him in the MLB main thread and the Add/Drop thread.

Of course I sat him tonight vs Sale, guess he's an auto start vs lefties.

Still think Correa is the best player of the bunch.

Grichuck is 0 for his last 14 and probably will be benched or sent down when Holliday returns.

Really close between Correa and Bryant. Those two just have great swings. Correa with the slight bump and edge, though, because he plays a good SS too. Kid looks like a young ARod.

Devon Travis deserves a mention here. Same WAR as Correa, and actually hurt his overall numbers by playing hurt from May 3-16.

Obviously not likely going to keep up with Correa over the long run but bat seems legit.

Devon Travis deserves a mention here. Same WAR as Correa, and actually hurt his overall numbers by playing hurt from May 3-16.

Obviously not likely going to keep up with Correa over the long run but bat seems legit.
Good call. Almost forgot my early season mancrush.

Still think Correa is the best player of the bunch.

Grichuck is 0 for his last 14 and probably will be benched or sent down when Holliday returns.
Or not. Been on fire of late and just popped two homers today with 6 RBI. His 2nd homerun tonight was silly, catching it off the end of the bat with one arm.

Grichuk now leading every guy on that list in OPS with .877 (.326 OBP and .551 slugging). 10 HRs already with only 233 PA and sporting a .278 average.

Still not on the list :coffee:

E-Z Glider said:
Franco leads all rookies with at least 250 plate appearances in OPS.

Franco .839

Pederson .825

Bryant .802
Drop that down to 243 instead of 250 and Grichuk is on top with .891 :)

Correa has 205 PAs and is at .925 OPS, and he just makes it look easier than all those other guys. Separating from the pack IMO.

According to Eno Sarris on the podcast yesterday, this year's rookie hitters have the most WRC and highest total WAR of any rookie class ever.

Correa has 205 PAs and is at .925 OPS, and he just makes it look easier than all those other guys. Separating from the pack IMO.
Actually, not really separating just yet (except you don't have Grichuk in your pack yet)

Correa:

213 PA, 14 doubles, 0 triples, 13 HR, 34 RBI, .292 BA, .343 OBP, .564 SLG, .907 OPS, 2.8 WAR

Grichuk:

267 PA, 19 doubles, 7 triples, 12 HR, 38 RBI, .291 BA, .341 OBP, .571 SLG, .912 OPS, 3.0 WAR

Correa getting the love because he was the 1st overall pick and has the pedigree coming in. But, when you look at the numbers, there is very little difference between the 2.

ETA--Grichuk hits the top of the wall in Cincy in what should have been a game-tying 3 run homer in the 6th that was just ruled a double.

Actually, not really separating just yet (except you don't have Grichuk in your pack yet)

Correa:

213 PA, 14 doubles, 0 triples, 13 HR, 34 RBI, .292 BA, .343 OBP, .564 SLG, .907 OPS, 2.8 WAR

Grichuk:

267 PA, 19 doubles, 7 triples, 12 HR, 38 RBI, .291 BA, .341 OBP, .571 SLG, .912 OPS, 3.0 WAR

Correa getting the love because he was the 1st overall pick and has the pedigree coming in. But, when you look at the numbers, there is very little difference between the 2.

ETA--Grichuk hits the top of the wall in Cincy in what should have been a game-tying 3 run homer in the 6th that was just ruled a double.
So Correa is basically where Grichuk is 3 years earlier, probably with more speed. Got it.

Might have to remove Joc Peterson from the list, he's brutal.

Last 28 days:

.183 .301 .268 .569 :kevinpillarpoundshischest:

Users who are viewing this thread