What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers in the 1st Round. Yes or No? (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Both of these guys are in great portions of their career and putting up huge numbers. So much that the boost one could get from a 4 Touchdown game might outweigh the medley of RBBC we see all across the league.

Crazy strategy to target either of these guys in the late first? Who is our consensus first round?

Calvin Johnson

Jamaal Charles

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch

Arian Foster

Demaryius Thomas

Rob Gronkowski

AJ Green

Julio Jones

Melvin Gordon

Dez Bryant

Odell Beckham

There is no consensus first round. There are probably two dozen legit first rounders, give or take, and Rodgers and Luck are certainly among them.

Luck was the first overall pick in my most recent draft, so at least one person sees him as a worthwhile early investment.

In a standard 12 team PPR where you start 1QB, with 4pts per TD pass, no I don't think Luck or Rodgers should be a 1st round pick. Mid late 2nd is more reasonable.

In superflex leagues, absolutely Luck and Rodgers are 1st round picks. One or both would likely go with a top 5 pick overall.

In start 2QB leagues, Luck (or Rodgers if you prefer) should be the #1 pick overall.

Current ADP data across a variety of league types seems to support the idea that Luck is widely regarded as a top of the first round value.

Depends on the league of course, but I say yes. My main league is 6pt passing TDs, and both will no doubt be gone by the end of the first round.

Drafting tendencies in each league play a big part for QB strategy. If you happen to play in one of those leagues that everyone brags about where all the owners politely wait until Round 5 before the first QB comes off the board, then by all means wait. But in reality most leagues have at least one or two QB-happy owners that will jump on their first pick.

I'm fine with the early stud QB strategy. My reasoning is that championships are often won by the breakout WRs and RBs coming off the wire, or drafted in the mid to late rounds. Those happen far more frequently than a stud QB breaking out off the waiver wire.

Gordon???? His ADP is 29 overall (RB13)

Anderson, Forte and McCoy belong up there, not Gordon.
As I was saying: there is no consensus.

I think it's pretty easy to craft a compelling argument for why Gordon or Forsett, say, ought to be a first rounder, or why Forte or Anderson shouldn't. :shrug:

In a 6pt passing TD league, sure why not? Those are likely to be the top scorers. Would do it? Probably not, but I'm sure in most leagues, someone will take one of those guys in the 1st.

Freelove said:
I think it's pretty easy to craft a compelling argument for why Gordon or Forsett, say, ought to be a first rounder, or why Forte or Anderson shouldn't. :shrug:
Easy??

So as for the original question, awesome with zero details. Scoring system? Lineup requirements? Dynasty? Redraft?

I play in one league where Rodgers and Luck would be the top 2 picks hands down. I plan in another where they would probably be late 2nd or early 3rd round picks.

As for the list, I dont think Gordon comes close to sniffing the first round in ADP nor should he. Not in dynasty where his ADP should be higher than redraft, and especially not in redraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was totally against this but as I'm finishing up my projections and sorting my numbers Luck is coming up about the 5th best player on my VBD board. I draft 4th in my 12 team PPR I'm sure a WR I have ranked higher in value will be there at my #4 pick. When I look at the drop off according to my number from luck to next possible Qb I'd take the gap is tremendous! We talking a 7 to 8 pt per game difference! I may just take Luck can't believe I'm saying this. Is my thinking flawed??

How about this: what widely-used league set-up makes it the hardest to justify taking a QB in the 1st round?

4 point passing TDs, PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE's

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1-2 Flex

So with scoring devalued for QBs, inflated for TEs, and a lot of roster spots to fill, who are the 10-12 guys you take before Luck/Rodgers?

If you can't come up with a list of 10-12 guys in this format, you probably can't do it regardless of league settings.

Gordon???? His ADP is 29 overall (RB13)

Anderson, Forte and McCoy belong up there, not Gordon.
Even Bell with a suspension. 6 WRs and a TE on Em's list and an affinity for older backs. Long gone are the days of Stud RB.

Obviously scoring system dependent but I think Luck takes it to another level this year and is actually safer (lower floor) than a few in that list.

In 6pt per TD leagues with a bonus of 5 for 50 yard TD passes are Rodgers and Luck top 5 picks both?

Start QB-RB-WR-TE-2FLEX-K-D

4 bench.

In 6pt per TD leagues with a bonus of 5 for 50 yard TD passes are Rodgers and Luck top 5 picks both?

4 bench.
Your league sounds a lot like mine except we do 3 flex Rb/wr. I guess thing we have to do is find out what are your projections for Luck. Right now I have luck projected for 4980 pass yds 290 Rush yds 15 Int 44 Td that comes out to 554 points in my scoring system with a VBD of 208 if I pass on him next available Qb would be Eli his VBD Is 96 that's a huge difference.

Unless it is 2-QB or a superflex, I wouldn't touch Luck or Rodgers until round 3 of a 12-team league. The depth at QB is stronger than at any other position. There are about a dozen RB's and a dozen WR's I'd take over them, plus Gronk.

4 bench.
Your league sounds a lot like mine except we do 3 flex Rb/wr. I guess thing we have to do is find out what are your projections for Luck.Right now I have luck projected for 4980 pass yds 290 Rush yds 15 Int 44 Td that comes out to 554 points in my scoring system with a VBD of 208 if I pass on him next available Qb would be Eli his VBD Is 96 that's a huge difference.
We'll have to chat all summer. Do you know where you pick yet? It'll be interesting regarding Luck, Rodgers, and Gronk where they go in the first round. I have had success drafting Graham 2.3, 1.10 and 1.9 the past three years. Thinking about a late pick would be best and hope to land Gronk

Otherwise a top 3 pick and land Rodgers.

Unless it is 2-QB or a superflex, I wouldn't touch Luck or Rodgers until round 3 of a 12-team league. The depth at QB is stronger than at any other position. There are about a dozen RB's and a dozen WR's I'd take over them, plus Gronk.
This is exactly how I feel. The third round is the earliest I would consider Luck or Rodgers. I can't pass on a great WR or RB when it's so easy to stream QBs.

4 bench.
Your league sounds a lot like mine except we do 3 flex Rb/wr. I guess thing we have to do is find out what are your projections for Luck.Right now I have luck projected for 4980 pass yds 290 Rush yds 15 Int 44 Td that comes out to 554 points in my scoring system with a VBD of 208 if I pass on him next available Qb would be Eli his VBD Is 96 that's a huge difference.
We'll have to chat all summer. Do you know where you pick yet? It'll be interesting regarding Luck, Rodgers, and Gronk where they go in the first round. I have had success drafting Graham 2.3, 1.10 and 1.9 the past three years. Thinking about a late pick would be best and hope to land Gronk

I have the 4th pick on the 1st rd but my league is random every other Rd. so I pick #4 then 9th in the 2nd then 9th in the 3rd then 4th in the 4th but then I don't pick again until 12th in the 5th. I've always been a wait on a Qb guy but Luck is so far an away better than any Qb I have to consider him!

This is exactly how I feel. The third round is the earliest I would consider Luck or Rodgers. I can't pass on a great WR or RB when it's so easy to stream QBs.
So if you stream Qb that means in 12 team league you will probably be one of the last to draft a Qb correct? So you talking Eli Palmer Tanneyhll Flacco not bad options I think All of them in my scoring will get about 25-27 pts a game. I think Luck gets 35 pts a game so even using your best streaming option luck still 8 pts a game better that's a big difference. So if I take luck you take Julio as ya #1 Wr I end up with say Alshon Jeffery as my #1 Wr yes your #1 will be better than mine but by maybe 2 pts a game that's it. That's a lot different than 8

Both of these guys are in great portions of their career and putting up huge numbers. So much that the boost one could get from a 4 Touchdown game might outweigh the medley of RBBC we see all across the league.

Crazy strategy to target either of these guys in the late first?
ABSOLUTELY NOT

if you want to win that IS crazy - and not crazy good

So if you stream Qb that means in 12 team league you will probably be one of the last to draft a Qb correct? So you talking Eli Palmer Tanneyhll Flacco not bad options I think All of them in my scoring will get about 25-27 pts a game. I think Luck gets 35 pts a game so even using your best streaming option luck still 8 pts a game better that's a big difference. So if I take luck you take Julio as ya #1 Wr I end up with say Alshon Jeffery as my #1 Wr yes your #1 will be better than mine but by maybe 2 pts a game that's it. That's a lot different than 8
I'd rather not wait that long for a QB but I don't mind waiting for a while. In mocks so far I'v just been taking two QBs late, like Brady and Tannehill. Between those two I can score well. I can still get a great QB after the 6th round. Big Ben can be had in the 6th and I can get Matt Ryan in the 7th. There really isn't any concern for QB this year for me in a 12 team standard league.

You seem to be missing the point that you will be behind on every other position he takes ...

so you lose a few at WR1 and RB1 and WR2 and RB2 and TE

Captain Hook said:
You seem to be missing the point that you will be behind on every other position he takes ...

so you lose a few at WR1 and RB1 and WR2 and RB2 and TE
This isn't true. The comparison is just Luck and later RB/WR to a 1st round RB/WR and a late QB. Last year, QB12 was about 73% of Luck's numbers. I think he raises the bar this year. Granted, the later RB/WR will likely be outperformed by a 1st round pick but picks do bust. See McCoy, Calvin, Green in 2014. I see QB as a safer option.

Bottom line is your fist pick is just one player. You'll have to draft well overall to win.

Every year we hear the same things. It's like clockwork. Anyone that takes a QB early is doomed cause the rest of the draft they will miss on every pick. And whoever takes a more traditional pick will do better because they will hit a homer in on every other pick.

No matter what, you will need to draft well, manage your team well, and have decent luck to win. Any strategy can work if the guys you pick do well.

Every year we hear the same things. It's like clockwork. Anyone that takes a QB early is doomed cause the rest of the draft they will miss on every pick. And whoever takes a more traditional pick will do better because they will hit a homer in on every other pick.

No matter what, you will need to draft well, manage your team well, and have decent luck to win. Any strategy can work if the guys you pick do well.
This pretty much sums it up. I like taking the low risk stud qbs early and i do it with much success

In 2012 I took Tom Brady at #7 overall in the NFFC and went on to win a contest for 100K in a field of 1872 teams. Now that said I would not draft Rodgers or Luck in the 1st round this year as 2012 was a different place and time then it is just 3 years later today.

4 bench.

I have the 4th pick on the 1st rd but my league is random every other Rd. so I pick #4 then 9th in the 2nd then 9th in the 3rd then 4th in the 4th but then I don't pick again until 12th in the 5th.I've always been a wait on a Qb guy but Luck is so far an away better than any Qb I have to consider him!
How he is he so far and away better than Rodgers?

Rodgers yes, but I just can't make myself get on board with Luck just yet. I realize he has had monster years, but something about his WRs and overall situation that makes me a little gun shy. Yet Rodgers I feel 100% confident in and feel worth the 1st round pick.

Rodgers yes, but I just can't make myself get on board with Luck just yet. I realize he has had monster years, but something about his WRs and overall situation that makes me a little gun shy. Yet Rodgers I feel 100% confident in and feel worth the 1st round pick.
He is the safest bet to be elite. Outside of his 1 year where he was hurt, he has never finished lower than QB2 in my league. The year he was hurt, if you remove the game her got hurt in after throwing 2 passes, he was 3rd in points per game for QB. My league is 6 points per passing and this is how consistent Rodgers is: In seven years as a starter, he has averaged between 25 and 26 ppg in five of those seasons.

How about this: what widely-used league set-up makes it the hardest to justify taking a QB in the 1st round?

So with scoring devalued for QBs, inflated for TEs, and a lot of roster spots to fill, who are the 10-12 guys you take before Luck/Rodgers?

If you can't come up with a list of 10-12 guys in this format, you probably can't do it regardless of league settings.
This is the only league format where I would let them slip - requires combo of lower QB scoring, PPR (or 1.5 for TE) and at least one flex with 2RB-3WR.

Anything other than that, I would be very comfortable with either Luck or Rodgers in the mid-first, after AP and Bell and.... there's no one else that seems like a must grab. You can still get an elite RB or WR in the 2nd.

This is the only league format where I would let them slip - requires combo of lower QB scoring, PPR (or 1.5 for TE) and at least one flex with 2RB-3WR.

Anything other than that, I would be very comfortable with either Luck or Rodgers in the mid-first, after AP and Bell and.... there's no one else that seems like a must grab. You can still get an elite RB or WR in the 2nd.
I took Rodgers at 2.10 last night in the NFFC 6 pts per TD pass and I wasn't happy at all about it. You say you can still get an elite RB or WR in the 2nd......well since we play a bunch of RBs and WRs and only 1 QB how about taking 2 elite RB/WR's instead of a QB and one of them ? Wouldn't that make more sense ? The only reason I took Rodgers at pick 22 was because my top 20 RB's/WR's were all gone. Had any 1 of the 20 been left I would have grabbed 1 of them over Rodgers and would been happy landing a Peyton Manning, Brees in the 5th or 6th round or a Romo in the 9th round. I would much rather combo Peyton and then either a Peterson/Julio type then combo a Rodgers/6th round RB or WR.

I took Rodgers at 2.10 last night in the NFFC 6 pts per TD pass and I wasn't happy at all about it. You say you can still get an elite RB or WR in the 2nd......well since we play a bunch of RBs and WRs and only 1 QB how about taking 2 elite RB/WR's instead of a QB and one of them ? Wouldn't that make more sense ? The only reason I took Rodgers at pick 22 was because my top 20 RB's/WR's were all gone. Had any 1 of the 20 been left I would have grabbed 1 of them over Rodgers and would been happy landing a Peyton Manning, Brees in the 5th or 6th round or a Romo in the 9th round. I would much rather combo Peyton and then either a Peterson/Julio type then combo a Rodgers/6th round RB or WR.
I gotta say that's a steal given the QB scoring. What was the first 3 rounds draft order?

I want top guys in starting slots. If the rankings translate into points taking a top guy is all that matters. I can draft 3 #2 rbs and still end up better than your 1, 2 and 3. But you cant match my QB, no matter what you do.

Investing in Luck or Rodgers is a solid bet you will have that top guy. Investing in Hill or AJGreen is not.

I want top guys in starting slots. If the rankings translate into points taking a top guy is all that matters. I can draft 3 #2 rbs and still end up better than your 1, 2 and 3. But you cant match my QB, no matter what you do.

Investing in Luck or Rodgers is a solid bet you will have that top guy. Investing in Hill or AJGreen is not.
Huh?

Huh?
agreed....kinda confusing, basically i like having a top QB

No matter what we do? :lmao:

18 other QBs outscored Luck from Weeks 14-16 (fantasy playoffs) last season in 20 yrd/4 TD formats. :shrug:

You can't have it both ways. (Say you can piece together RB......but cant piece together QB's)
How many of those 18 are still available to stream? How many have you kicked to the curb in weeks prior because they #### the bed for you in one week?

To me, Rodgers and/or Luck are probably:

1) the closest to insurance against "####ting the bed" weeks in FF from your QB

2) the two QBs with the greatest chance of consistently single handedly winning you a week in FF (particularly in a 6 per Passing TD league).

Sure, they'll throw up bad games and in various weeks, other QBs will outperform them.....but their consistency is their greatest asset to a FF team.

ETA: A top level QBs is also such an asset that in the years that I've gotten one....I've had the luxury of not even adding a backup QB (or two as the streamers often have to do).....thus freeing up later rounds for "diamond in the rough" WRs and backup and rookie RBs.

Those who want to take a QB in the 1st round who believe that is the greatest idea since sliced bread are going to do it and there is no talking them out of it.

Those who are going to wait on QB until 2nd round or later think this is a great idea and you are not going to talk them out of it.

That's probably 98% of the people on here.

So since it doesn't really matter what anyone says everyone is going to do what they want to do anyway and believe in their way of doing it we may as well end this thread right now.

No matter what we do? :lmao:

18 other QBs outscored Luck from Weeks 14-16 (fantasy playoffs) last season in 20 yrd/4 TD formats. :shrug:

You can't have it both ways. (Say you can piece together RB......but cant piece together QB's)
How many of those 18 are still available to stream? How many have you kicked to the curb in weeks prior because they #### the bed for you in one week?

To me, Rodgers and/or Luck are probably:

1) the closest to insurance against "####ting the bed" weeks in FF from your QB

2) the two QBs with the greatest chance of consistently single handedly winning you a week in FF (particularly in a 6 per Passing TD league).

Sure, they'll throw up bad games and in various weeks, other QBs will outperform them.....but their consistency is their greatest asset to a FF team.

ETA: A top level QBs is also such an asset that in the years that I've gotten one....I've had the luxury of not even adding a backup QB (or two as the streamers often have to do).....thus freeing up later rounds for "diamond in the rough" WRs and backup and rookie RBs.
I've done this although more with stud WRs. Solid rationale but boy, does it suck, when you get the injury bug.

I've come around on this one over the years. I like taking an elite QB early for a couple reasons.

1. Elite QB production is very consistent. If you take an Aaron Rodgers, you can pencil in a top 5 finish barring injury. Top WR and RB are much more volatile. Some people try to win their league with their 1st rounder, I try not to lose mine.

2. You can't find elite QB production on the waiver wire. You can find a CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Odell Beckham, etc. on the waiver wire if you are lucky and prepared. Zero chance of you getting more than average QB production off of the wire.

I generally do auctions these days not snake drafts but I make it a point to get one of the top 2-3 QB's every year now.

Those who want to take a QB in the 1st round who believe that is the greatest idea since sliced bread are going to do it and there is no talking them out of it.

Those who are going to wait on QB until 2nd round or later think this is a great idea and you are not going to talk them out of it.

So since it doesn't really matter what anyone says everyone is going to do what they want to do anyway and believe in their way of doing it we may as well end this thread right now.
First of all, congrats on winning 100K. Can I borrow $20?

I don't think people are as passionate about a 1st round QB as they are about some other things. It depends on the scoring system, draft slot, etc. I've been a contrarian since the days of RB dominated drafts. I just didn't want the 11th best RB with the 11th pick. Picking a top WR or QB was intuitive and later validated with VBD concepts.

I don't think the biggest mistake people make is their 1st round choice. It's putting too much emphasis on that pick and falling asleep later in the draft.

Maybe, but I personally have gone both ways in the past and am considering it this year.

I pick 4th overall in a 12 man team and QB`s are big in our league(6 pts td and plenty of bonus points) but with only 5 or 6 elite RB `s and maybe 9 or 10 elite WR`s (not including Gronk) i would only draft a QB after i got one of those elite players at RB and hope i land either a top WR in the 2nd rd... or Luck or Rodgers if still there

I've come around on this one over the years. I like taking an elite QB early for a couple reasons.

1. Elite QB production is very consistent. If you take an Aaron Rodgers, you can pencil in a top 5 finish barring injury. Top WR and RB are much more volatile. Some people try to win their league with their 1st rounder, I try not to lose mine.

2. You can't find elite QB production on the waiver wire. You can find a CJ Anderson, Justin Forsett, Odell Beckham, etc. on the waiver wire if you are lucky and prepared. Zero chance of you getting more than average QB production off of the wire.

I generally do auctions these days not snake drafts but I make it a point to get one of the top 2-3 QB's every year now.
I'm an auction guy, too, and I get what you are coming from, but every year I can usually find a top 10 QB for pretty cheap. Guys like Romo, Rivers and R. Wilson were all had for around 7-12 bucks last year. This year, Matt Ryan, Romo (again, inexplicably), Rivers and Eli all have an ADP in that 8-14 range, which means they will be pretty cheap. I'd rather get one of those top 10 QB for cheap and spend my big money on stud WRs. But that's me. ;)

I pick 4th overall in a 12 man team and QB`s are big in our league(6 pts td and plenty of bonus points) but with only 5 or 6 elite RB `s and maybe 9 or 10 elite WR`s (not including Gronk) i would only draft a QB after i got one of those elite players at RB and hope i land either a top WR in the 2nd rd... or Luck or Rodgers if still there
The problem with that is that a 1st or 2nd round FF QB is far less likely nowadays to bust than a 1st or 2nd round FF RB. In the last two years, see Spiller, Richardson, Rice, D, Martin, etc. in 2013, and AP, M. Ball, etc. in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread