What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I really stirred up a hornet's nest this weekend (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Got home early from work on Friday and decided to try and mow my lawn before the deluge of rain hit that was forecasted for the weekend. I start up the mower and start pushing it through the high grass. During the second pass, I step in a hole and almost twist my ankle. Hole felt at least 6 inches deep. I finish up that pass and turn back ready to take a look at this new found hole in the yard. As I get closer, I can see what looks like tiny moths fluttering out of the hole. I'm intrigued, so I stop right next to it to get a look. These bugs that are flying out of the hole appear to be small, but they are moving fast, so it was hard to really focus on them. I remember thinking "They almost look like tiny bees, but I'm guessing if they were bees, they would have stung me by now."

The comedic timing of that sentence was amazing, because as I thought "now" a sharp pain hit me in the back of the knee. That's when I realized it was a hornet's nest. I pushed the mower up to the driveway as two more stings hit my legs. If anyone was watching me, I'm sure it looked like I was doing some Native American Indian dance. Waving my hands and high stepping all over the place. I ran for the front door and went inside. Once inside, I quickly caught my breath and got some ice from the freezer.

I sat down on the couch, leg in horrible pain. I sat there for about 5 minutes alternating the ice pack to the three different sting points when all of a sudden a new pain appeared on my foot. I looked down and there on my sock was a hornet humping my leg like a dog in heat. ******* followed me in and attacked me on my home turf. Totally uncalled for. :hot:

"This means war!", I thought to myself. So I called Orkin to see about them coming out and putting a world of hurt down on the ground nest. They said they could be out the next day for a mere $300. :shock: I told them, no chance. So I called some local companies and the cheapest I could find was $150. Again, no way. I would have paid probably no more than $75 to have someone else worry about stings, but no way hundreds of dollars. I would have to forgo the mercenaries and take on the opposing enemy's stronghold by myself.

I went to Home Depot and found some commercial grade stinging pest death spray. I knew it had to be good because it said federal law prohibited use of this product other than how the label said to use it. I was prepared to go to prison to defend my home. The time for the occupying forces in my front lawn to leave had come.

As the sun set, I wrapped my self in as much clothing as possible, covering every piece of skin in preparation for my impending jihad. I slowly moved into position as I watched some patrol hornets buzz around the perimeter of their base. Hands shaking, I sprayed the poison into the entrance while screaming "DEATH TO HORNETS!!!!" in my head.

I emptied a can and a half of that spray into the stinging infidels base of operations. Probably not exactly what the label recommended, but what I felt was necessary.

As of this morning, I think I've dealt a huge blow to their operation. Time will tell. My next plan is to hit them one more time and pour dirt down the hole after. Who knows how long this war will go on, but I prepared to fight for as long as I can.

Probably should have just paid for the exterminator. One more sting and I'll be calling him anyway. But at least for now, I feel as if I've won.

down here in georgie we just pour a whole can of lighter fluid down the hole and cover it with a heavy rock or a bowl. works extremely well on yellerjackets

Should have just kept the lawnmower over the hole and let the blades do their work as the hornets flew out.

I was really hoping that after you ran in the house, you drew the curtains, turned out the lights, and rushed your family into the basement using urgent, hushed tones.

TIS (whispering): "Honey! HONEY! Get in the basement!"

Sheik Wife (in normal tone): "what's the matter with you? What is it??"

TIS (a more urgent whisper): "sshhh! They'll hear you! There's no time to explain! Just get in the basement!"

Sheik Wife (unwavered, knowing the man she's dealing with. Rubbing her temple): "I heard you mowing. What did you do this time?"

TIS (still whispering, back pressed against the front door): "Bees! It's the bees!"

Sheik wife (reaching for phone): "I'm calling the neighbor. He'll fix it. Idiot."

I did this last summer - we counted 14 Yellowjacket stings that afternoon. I blew up - looked like I had collagen injections all over my body and was breaking out in hives.

Hell, just let a half-gallon of gasoline soak into it at night, then toss a match onto it.
How we got rid of them on my dad's farm.

Twilight, lighter fluid, jeans, gloves and a loose sweatshirt.

You want a shovel to dig up the nest after it's burned for a bit to make sure you've got the whole thing.

My favorite was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-TrBCk82fo

Guy literally washes them away. Funny as hell at 1:50. Exterminator 1 - Nil over Wasps.
I did not see 1:50 coming at all. That was good comedic relief there.

I'd like to see that powerful hose on one of those larger yellow jacket nests though. Fire hose maybe.

Hell, just let a half-gallon of gasoline soak into it at night, then toss a match onto it.
How we got rid of them on my dad's farm.

Twilight, lighter fluid, jeans, gloves and a loose sweatshirt.

You want a shovel to dig up the nest after it's burned for a bit to make sure you've got the whole thing.
I did this when I was a kid and we had a nest under the AC unit slab. Wasn't one of my brightest moments.

Put a bug zapper over the hole. There will be corpses everywhere. I did this at my parents after they were quoted a ridiculous price by their pest control company.

/thread

Eta found a video

https://youtu.be/W1Yay80hvzs

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame the hornets (or whatever) for this. Why not just live together in harmony? I would have been fine with them living on my lawn. You do you, I'll do me. But, NOOOOOOO. You had to be a bigshot, didn'cha? You called down the thunder, well now you've got it. You see that? It says Kills on Contact. Take a good look at him, Stinger, 'cause that's how you're gonna end up. The hornets are finished, you understand? I see a yellow sash, I kill the hornet wearing it. So run, you drone. Tell all those other drones the spray's comin'! You tell them I'M coming! And hell's coming with me, you hear! Hell's coming with me!!!

I had to learn the hard way, but a dab of bleach helps to take away the pain of a sting.

That was about 20 years ago, though. A more recent bite of some sort on my chest during a run led to numbness and swelling ...ended up in the ER with a swollen, itchy body and a swollen monkey face. Quite the sight.

Put a bug zapper over the hole. There will be corpses everywhere. I did this at my parents after they were quoted a ridiculous price by their pest control company.

/thread

Eta found a video

https://youtu.be/W1Yay80hvzs
lmao that is genius
Great idea but I watched all 2:34 of that and not once did that stupid kid go back and show video of the carnage of dead carcasses the zappah left on the ground. :thumbdown:

:lmao: @ $300 ..

Wife had a similar episode a couple years back.. When I got home I took our Lawn Tractor out and :drive: over the top as fast as I could...

First time by, saw a swarm around the hole, but none of the bastards were quick enough to catch up to me :bye:

Next time by, a few still buzzing around but again, rode right over the top.

When I noticed there were no more swarming around the hole I grabbed a shovel and some dirt and buried the rest.. :)

Got home early from work on Friday and decided to try and mow my lawn before the deluge of rain hit that was forecasted for the weekend. I start up the mower and start pushing it through the high grass. During the second pass, I step in a hole and almost twist my ankle. Hole felt at least 6 inches deep. I finish up that pass and turn back ready to take a look at this new found hole in the yard. As I get closer, I can see what looks like tiny moths fluttering out of the hole. I'm intrigued, so I stop right next to it to get a look. These bugs that are flying out of the hole appear to be small, but they are moving fast, so it was hard to really focus on them. I remember thinking "They almost look like tiny bees, but I'm guessing if they were bees, they would have stung me by now."

The comedic timing of that sentence was amazing, because as I thought "now" a sharp pain hit me in the back of the knee. That's when I realized it was a hornet's nest. I pushed the mower up to the driveway as two more stings hit my legs. If anyone was watching me, I'm sure it looked like I was doing some Native American Indian dance. Waving my hands and high stepping all over the place. I ran for the front door and went inside. Once inside, I quickly caught my breath and got some ice from the freezer.

I sat down on the couch, leg in horrible pain. I sat there for about 5 minutes alternating the ice pack to the three different sting points when all of a sudden a new pain appeared on my foot. I looked down and there on my sock was a hornet humping my leg like a dog in heat. ******* followed me in and attacked me on my home turf. Totally uncalled for. :hot:

"This means war!", I thought to myself. So I called Orkin to see about them coming out and putting a world of hurt down on the ground nest. They said they could be out the next day for a mere $300. :shock: I told them, no chance. So I called some local companies and the cheapest I could find was $150. Again, no way. I would have paid probably no more than $75 to have someone else worry about stings, but no way hundreds of dollars. I would have to forgo the mercenaries and take on the opposing enemy's stronghold by myself.

I went to Home Depot and found some commercial grade stinging pest death spray. I knew it had to be good because it said federal law prohibited use of this product other than how the label said to use it. I was prepared to go to prison to defend my home. The time for the occupying forces in my front lawn to leave had come.

As the sun set, I wrapped my self in as much clothing as possible, covering every piece of skin in preparation for my impending jihad. I slowly moved into position as I watched some patrol hornets buzz around the perimeter of their base. Hands shaking, I sprayed the poison into the entrance while screaming "DEATH TO HORNETS!!!!" in my head.

I emptied a can and a half of that spray into the stinging infidels base of operations. Probably not exactly what the label recommended, but what I felt was necessary.

As of this morning, I think I've dealt a huge blow to their operation. Time will tell. My next plan is to hit them one more time and pour dirt down the hole after. Who knows how long this war will go on, but I prepared to fight for as long as I can.

Probably should have just paid for the exterminator. One more sting and I'll be calling him anyway. But at least for now, I feel as if I've won.
Should have gone with "ALLAHU AKBAR!" just to freak out your neighbors.

Sheik talks a big game but his neighbor has video of how it really went down:

http://youtu.be/-1GadTfGFvU
:lol:

Make no mistake, I'm not talking a big game. The only reason I ended up going out there last night to spray was because my fiance said she would do it if I was too afraid. I knew nothing good could come of that, so I had to suck it up and go out there terrified. A fly flew by my ear today at work and I had PTSD flashbacks while I tried to scramble under my desk.

Make no mistake, I'm not talking a big game. The only reason I ended up going out there last night to spray was because my fiance said she would do it if I was too afraid. I knew nothing good could come of that, so I had to suck it up and go out there terrified. A fly flew by my ear today at work and I had PTSD flashbacks while I tried to scramble under my desk.
That was just Fat Nick.

Talk about a shot across the bow. haha

Very similar experience a couple years ago. Those ####ers LOVE to get under the waistband of your shorts before stinging.

Did about the same as you - bundled up head to toe and went army-crawling in like Carl Spackler, until I could unleash the fury of the spray can from 10-15 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread