What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kindergarten Redshirting / good? / bad? / fair to younger kids? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Before I begin I did do a search on this topic and didn't find anything.

The big thing the last few years is to hold kids back from Kindergarten for a year if they have a summer / fall birthday to give them an advantage academically, socially, and athletically over the other kids in their class. Some parents hide behind the premise of maturity issues as the reason, when in reality they want their kid to be the biggest and strongest in their class in hopes it increases the chances their kid excels physically over the other kids in his class and also increase his chances of being a leader rather than a follower. Kindergarten redshirting is twice as likely to be done with boys than girls.

There can be pros and cons to this issue. There is no argument these kids will probably be the biggest kids in their class and one can argue it helps with their confidence and gives an advantage athletically and socially if they are the biggest and oldest. This can be the case all the way through middle school and high school. Some feel this can actually help a kid get a college scholarship. Kids who are held back are more likely to attend a 4 year college as well.

One could also argue holding a kid back can be a disadvantage. Even though there is no longer the stigma of being held back as there was 30 years ago, especially since it is happening at such a young age, but these kids will wonder why they aren't going to kindergarten with the rest of their friends, which they will probably lose as a result. It has also been proven that kids held back for the wrong reasons can become bored with class because it is too easy and will eventually stymie their ability to learn and can lead to behavioral problems. Kids who start kindergarten at the age of 4 or 5 instead of 6 or 7 are more likely to figure out early on they have to try harder and fight (figuratively) for everything they get. Whereas kids who start later may not develop the necessary drive to succeed later on. Kids who are 18 or 19 in high school are more likely to drop out as well.

Is it fair to younger kids? I see a moral issue here. What kind of precedence does it set to let our children know it's OK to be held back so they will be bigger and stronger and for the short term smarter than the other kids? Shouldn't there be rules in place to curb this? Should it be taken solely on a case by case basis and applied where it really is needed, other than parents wanting their kids to have an advantage over their peers? Also, the middle class and upper class are far more likely to redshirt their kid over the poor and minority families because of the cost of day care. Poor families need to save on day care so they put their kids into kindergarten as quickly as they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is gonna be going into Kindergarten in a couple years. I'll do whatever the consensus is here.

4 of my 5 kids are (or will be) summer birthdays. I lean towards pushing them early so I can get them out of the house sooner.

And parents who are holding their kids back in hopes of some sort of athletic scholarship edge are really too dumb to be breeding.

20 years in public education here...but take this as anecdotal:

Every kid is different but if i had to generalize I would say it was better to wait. Especially for boys.

I don't reccomend pushing to get them in early, but I certainly wouldn't wait thinking it'll come with some sort of benefit

Called "Young 5's" here...

My 2nd oldest daughter (going into 8th grade this year) did young 5's... Her birthday is late September.

I wanted her to move up, my wife and her teacher thought she should stay down. The teacher was concerned about her because

she was so shy and quiet. Academically she was in the top of her class..as much as a kindergartner can be anyways..

Most of her friends are in the grade ahead of her as they are closer to her age. Sports?? She's a girl, it really hasn't made that

big of a deal.

aren't these all ffa kids...shouldn't they be at a 2nd-3rd grade academic level by 5 anyway?

Wouldn't a fall birthday already make them older for their grade?
Depends on the area. In my district the kid has to be 5 years old by sept 1 (technically that's not fall but...) to enroll in kindergarten.

We also have Transitional Kindergarten for kids born between sept 2 and dec 2.

Called "Young 5's" here...

My 2nd oldest daughter (going into 8th grade this year) did young 5's... Her birthday is late September.

I wanted her to move up, my wife and her teacher thought she should stay down. The teacher was concerned about her because

she was so shy and quiet. Academically she was in the top of her class..as much as a kindergartner can be anyways..

Most of her friends are in the grade ahead of her as they are closer to her age. Sports?? She's a girl, it really hasn't made that

big of a deal.
Yeah, this is more of a big deal with boys than girls.

The cutoff for our elementary school was mid-September, and our son was born one day before. We debated whether to send him or not, as we knew a lot of other parents with kids a few months older who were "redshirting", but he was smart and mature for his age, so we went ahead and sent him. No regrets, he's in middle school now, and is doing well. He's a bit small and skinny for his grade, which he feel a little self-conscious about. But overall I think it was the right thing for him, and I think he would have been bored if we had held him for another year - he was ready.

As far as sports go, has made no difference - the baseball and soccer leagues he's been in are based on ages, the grade the kid is in makes no difference. I don't see him playing in competitive sports as he gets into high school.

In some cases (and some states), the parents have no choice. My daughter is 4 (5 in late September), and went to pre-school this past year. She's very bright, not to mention the tallest in her class (thanks to genes... I'm 6'5" and mom is 5'9"), but will miss the cutoff for kindergarten (and will have to attend pre-school again this year). There are probably ways to circumvent that (ask for special testing or something), and it's something we'll likely explore when we move (I just got a promotion, and we're moving from MN to WA in the next 2-3 months). But, being the new kid in class (and quite possibly having to start school after the other students have already started) might be enough of a challenge for her by itself.

There are obviously pro's and con's, in my opinion. I was the opposite (June birthday, and most of my friends were nearly a year older than me). If nothing else, it helped challenge me, I suppose. I was still well above average in most academic areas (not to mention sports, etc.). If I had been held back, I think I would have been bored, honestly. But, I have wondered how it would have changed my life, in terms of scholarships (academic and/or athletic), not to mention other areas.

In my girls grade there is someone with a September 29th birthday coming in as 5 years old (the cutoff by one day) As well as someone that turned 6 the prior April 21st. That's nearly a year and a half difference in age. It's stupid.

The older kid was red-shirted because the dad played sports and the younger kid was thrown in because kinder is cheaper than daycare.

every kid is different, any "rule of thumb" would need to be taken with a grain of salt.

My youngest has a late July birthday. We of course briefly considered if this was appropriate but quickly decided that he was social mature enough for kindergarten so we sent him. While he is one of the smallest in the class, he excels in school (academic excellence honor roll in 6th grade) and holds his own playing up in basketball. If he had been held back, he would have been exceedingly bored in school.

Unless there is a specific concern for holding them back (socially not ready primarily) then I am in favor of sending them.

In our district, kids are tested for the special interest program based on their age (to the month), so the kids that start younger are actually at an advantage over the ones that have been held back because they've had an extra year of schooling. :grad:

20 years in public education here...but take this as anecdotal:

Every kid is different but if i had to generalize I would say it was better to wait. Especially for boys.
This is what I have always heard.

My own anecdotal is having two kids born in October (nearly on the border) and one in July. Two are steps and one is my own. All three are boys.

One of the October boys is mature enough to be in the grade above, but is doing great where he is. The other October boy is also in the technically correct grade, but, if anything, is immature for it. He could have been held back a year and he'd probably still be a doofus.

The July kid was held back and it is working out great for him.

My kid is about to start his senior year of high school. He has a December birthday, and started Kindergarten when he was 4 - back then, the cutoff date for Maryland was Dec. 31; shortly after he started Kindergarten, they moved the date back one month every year until it got to Sept. 1, where it remains now.

After kindergarten, he was academically ready for first grade, but we weren't sure about socially. So we did a pre-first year.

Rarely can a parent look back at a single decision and identify it as one that made a major difference in their child's development and happiness. But that's exactly how my wife and I feel about sending him to pre-first. It gave him the gift of time - he could continue to push forward academically, while at the same time getting a little extra nurture and social development that ultimately made a huge difference in his confidence and eagerness to attend school. Today he's at the top of his class, National Merit semifinalist, etc. Plus - on a selfish note - we're happy to have him around the house for one more year before he heads to college.

On the other hand, we did this because he would have been on the young side if we hadn't, and we were doing it for legit reasons based on his personal development level at the time, not in the vague hope that someday a decade down the line it could potentially benefit him in sports.

I read something once about how younger kids have to work harder to keep up with the class so they tend to have a better work ethic and are more successful later on in life.

My son was born on August 29th and the cutoff is Sept 1st so it's looking like we'll have a slacker on our hands.

my daughter started kindergarten when she was four she turned 5 3 weeks into the school year we have had no problems with her starting early she is tops in her class after 4th grade she's going in the 5th grade she does every once in awhile have a younger emotional type issue but nothing very major so far so good

sorry I am phone to texting right now

My kid is about to start his senior year of high school. He has a December birthday, and started Kindergarten when he was 4 - back then, the cutoff date for Maryland was Dec. 31; shortly after he started Kindergarten, they moved the date back one month every year until it got to Sept. 1, where it remains now.

After kindergarten, he was academically ready for first grade, but we weren't sure about socially. So we did a pre-first year.

Rarely can a parent look back at a single decision and identify it as one that made a major difference in their child's development and happiness. But that's exactly how my wife and I feel about sending him to pre-first. It gave him the gift of time - he could continue to push forward academically, while at the same time getting a little extra nurture and social development that ultimately made a huge difference in his confidence and eagerness to attend school. Today he's at the top of his class, National Merit semifinalist, etc. Plus - on a selfish note - we're happy to have him around the house for one more year before he heads to college.

On the other hand, we did this because he would have been on the young side if we hadn't, and we were doing it for legit reasons based on his personal development level at the time, not in the vague hope that someday a decade down the line it could potentially benefit him in sports.
perfectly legit. 4 years old is a little young for kindergarten. Parents who hold back 5 year old kids until they are 6 is whole different story if they are doing it to give him an advantage athletically / socially, confidence and academically in the hopes he becomes a leader instead of a follower and is a better athlete than his peers, well, that is what I have a problem with.

My 4 year old daughter turns 5 in July and will be starting kindergarten this fall.

She will be one of the younger ones, but with two older brothers I feel sorry for the wrath she's going to rain down on those other kids.

perfectly legit. 4 years old is a little young for kindergarten. Parents who hold back 5 year old kids until they are 6 is whole different story if they are doing it to give him an advantage athletically / socially, confidence and academically in the hopes he becomes a leader instead of a follower and is a better athlete than his peers, well, that is what I have a problem with.
Why do you get to have a problem with another parent's decision of what is best for their kid?

Why do you get to have a problem with another parent's decision of what is best for their kid?
I guess because poor and most minority families don't have the same luxury due to day care cost. Also, to me there is an ethical issue of a kid being held back so he will be bigger and stronger than my kid to give him an unfair advantage. Not to mention the moral issue of what examples this sets for our youth.

I guess because poor and most minority families don't have the same luxury due to day care cost. Also, to me there is an ethical issue of a kid being held back so he will be bigger and stronger than my kid to give him an unfair advantage. Not to mention the moral issue of what examples this sets for our youth.
Oh man. You must stay very busy being upset by the unfairness of other people's decisions.

Oh man. You must stay very busy being upset by the unfairness of other people's decisions.
You should re-read what you just posted and if you still don't get it, well, not much more I can say to you.

You should re-read what you just posted and if you still don't get it, well, not much more I can say to you.
Okay. I just did.

If anything, I think my response showed a good deal of restraint. :coffee:

Okay. I just did.

Lol, I like that response. Your first one didn't make sense because life's issues are important to discuss and circumventing the rules of the educational system is an issue IMO.

Okay. I just did.

Lol, I like that response. Your first one didn't make sense because life's issues are important to discuss and circumventing the rules of the educational system is an issue IMO.
Circumventing the rules? I am pretty sure holding back kids isn't agains the rules.

Furthermore, implying that parents shouldn't make the decisions they legitimately think are the best for their own children because some people perceive it as unfair to somebody else is crazy talk.

Twin boys late June birthdays. Sister in law is an elementary school teacher and she was "firm" on waiting till next year. We basically did Kindergarten twice once at a "Mother's Day out" and the other at the school. The boys have always made "A's", and excelled in sports. Oddly enough one of the twins is still small for his grade so we have never had a regret. But, we live in Oklahoma where people would hold their kids back for 2 or 3 years if it meant they could play better football.

Neighbor lady was in a financial pinch and actually started her son early, and well the child ended up repeating kindergarten. Not a good thing since his peers moved on to 1st grade and he didn't. It caused so many issues according to the mom that they eventually switched schools.

Kids are expected to go to kindergarten at 5 unless there are valid reasons to hold them back. Wanting your kid to be bigger and stronger isn't a valid reason, thus circumventing the expected.

Okay. I just did.

Circumventing the rules? I am pretty sure holding back kids isn't agains the rules.

Furthermore, implying that parents shouldn't make the decisions they legitimately think are the best for their own children because some people perceive it as unfair to somebody else is crazy talk.

Like Tanner, I can say as a teacher, in almost every case, its better to hold the boys back. Every Kindergarten teacher we talked to agreed.

I did with my son. His birthday is November 19. The cutoff was December 1st. He was most definitely not ready this past year. Now he is and is extremely excited to go in Septemeber.

In a personal note, I was the youngest kid in my grade outside the kid who skipped a grade. Looking back now, I can see so many social things that hindered me in school. I didnt want that for my son.

Sports played zero role in our decision as who knows if he will play sports or not

Like Tanner, I can say as a teacher, in almost every case, its better to hold the boys back. Every Kindergarten teacher we talked to agreed.

I did with my son. His birthday is November 19. The cutoff was December 1st. He was most definitely not ready this past year. Now he is and is extremely excited to go in Septemeber.

In a personal note, I was the youngest kid in my grade outside the kid who skipped a grade. Looking back now, I can see so many social things that hindered me in school. I didnt want that for my son.

Sports played zero role in our decision as who knows if he will play sports or not
:goodposting:

As I said before, every kid is different. And I'm not trying to challenge any of the decisions anybody has made in here but some of the negatives for starting kids "early" won't start to show until middle school.

:goodposting: As I said before, every kid is different. And I'm not trying to challenge any of the decisions anybody has made in here but some of the negatives for starting kids "early" won't start to show until middle school.
Good point

I remember early in Jr High an 8th grader who I think was 14 or 15 and likely DTF showing some interest in me until I told her I was 11

I told her I'd be 12 in a month but the damage was already done

:kicksrock:

Former kindergarten teacher here and someone with a redshirt daughter. Yes every kid/case is different, some are ready some are far from it. In reality that one year is an entire 1/5 of their life. I've been asked this question a hundred times and my answer based on experience is that I've never heard any regrets red shirting, but have heard regrets sending kids early. I red shirted my daughter and she was most likely ready, now she is a leader in the classroom and more confident which I don't feel would have happened if I sent her at four. There's much more to classroom than ability.

Also not sure if it was mentioned earlier but read the book outliers. It's a bit over the top but informational.

Holding them back for the reasons the OP states is absolutely absurd.

We held back our oldest son because of maturity issues (Aug 20 bday so he would've been one of the youngest). He is incredibly shy and socially awkward. When he was in Kindergarten, he didn't speak a single word to a student or teacher until January. It was to the point we were worried he was going to fail because he wouldn't do the verbal testing.

He finally broke his silence and is now a normal, yet still shy, third grader. When we asked his first grade teacher how he was doing, she was surprised when we told her how Kindergarten went. She said he's done presentations in front of the class and didn't blink an eye.

Had we not held him back, I'm not so sure he'd be as well adjusted as he is today. It was the best decision we've made with either of our kids.

I'm a bit confused about the sports thing. When I was in school, if you were a certain amount older....you couldn't play your senior year. How would that benefit a future in sports?

Before I begin I did do a search on this topic and didn't find anything.

The big thing the last few years is to hold kids back from Kindergarten for a year if they have a summer / fall birthday to give them an advantage academically, socially, and athletically over the other kids in their class. Some parents hide behind the premise of maturity issues as the reason, when in reality they want their kid to be the biggest and strongest in their class in hopes it increases the chances their kid excels physically over the other kids in his class and also increase his chances of being a leader rather than a follower. Kindergarten redshirting is twice as likely to be done with boys than girls.

There can be pros and cons to this issue. There is no argument these kids will probably be the biggest kids in their class and one can argue it helps with their confidence and gives an advantage athletically and socially if they are the biggest and oldest. This can be the case all the way through middle school and high school. Some feel this can actually help a kid get a college scholarship. Kids who are held back are more likely to attend a 4 year college as well.

One could also argue holding a kid back can be a disadvantage. Even though there is no longer the stigma of being held back as there was 30 years ago, especially since it is happening at such a young age, but these kids will wonder why they aren't going to kindergarten with the rest of their friends, which they will probably lose as a result. It has also been proven that kids held back for the wrong reasons can become bored with class because it is too easy and will eventually stymie their ability to learn and can lead to behavioral problems. Kids who start kindergarten at the age of 4 or 5 instead of 6 or 7 are more likely to figure out early on they have to try harder and fight (figuratively) for everything they get. Whereas kids who start later may not develop the necessary drive to succeed later on. Kids who are 18 or 19 in high school are more likely to drop out as well.

Is it fair to younger kids? I see a moral issue here. What kind of precedence does it set to let our children know it's OK to be held back so they will be bigger and stronger and for the short term smarter than the other kids? Shouldn't there be rules in place to curb this? Should it be taken solely on a case by case basis and applied where it really is needed, other than parents wanting their kids to have an advantage over their peers? Also, the middle class and upper class are far more likely to redshirt their kid over the poor and minority families because of the cost of day care. Poor families need to save on day care so they put their kids into kindergarten as quickly as they can.
We discuss this as our son is a September bday. My wife teaches kindergarten special ed so I defer to her expert opinion. She says boys are usually slower to mature than girls and the norm is usually to hold them back. Our son is smart and doing fine but I think we are on the same page to hold him back instead of push him. I don't want to be that parent making myself believe he's so "gifted" he needs to be the youngest in older kids classes.

I started my kid in K at 8 years old.

The kid was MASHING in kick ball AND dodge ball! Always the captain.

Now he is 16 and in the 5th grade. Very popular with the ladies since he is able to drive to school.

Users who are viewing this thread