What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Old Thread About Guitar Deal Gone Bad But Now It's Back ON! (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
I contact an 81yo man about a high end guitar that he has listed for sale. He tells me that he doesn't want his wife dealing with it when he passes and that he doesn't play much anymore. He also tells me that someone else has contacted him and that he wants to give that guy a chance. A day later, I make an offer for 70% of his asking price and he hems for a second and then says would you do 76%? I agree, and then he says but I have to give the other guy a couple of days to see it. "I wouldn't feel right because he contacted me first. If he backs out, we have a deal." Fine.

Later that day, I get a message saying that the other guy can't make it to see the guitar and I think I am golden. He then says his friends are telling him that he's crazy to sell at that price and he's having second thoughts. He wants to wait a couple of weeks etc. I call him and he says he's sorry for reneging on the deal but it may still work out. #### me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he give you another price?
No but he hinted around it. "I'm not doing this for $500 or $1000 but if I got an offer for full price, I'd take it. I'm not doing this for the money. If it comes down to $1000, I will give it to you. I want you to have the guitar. I can tell you're a good guy and you'd give the guitar a good home. Who knows, this may still work out for you. Let's give it a week or two."

A guitar? Was it owned by Waylon Jennings or something? What's so special about his jitah?
Prices for these things can be very high. Depends on the maker, woods, finish etc. This one has Brazilian back and sides and that wood is now protected. Very expensive.

My company had three apartment deals fall through where the seller backed out after we made offers for full asking price. There were all in the same town and we think someone was just trying to keep us out of the market.

So basically, you were trying to pull a fast one on an old man and are pissed that he figured it out before you could get your grubby hands on his geetar, right?

A man's word is his bond. If you agree to terms & then back out, your word is worth nothing. Seller beware is just as valid as buyer beware.

On the other hand, if that bitter old fart doesn't want his wife to sell his possessions he should put in his will what goes to her and what gets sent to an auction house. Someone will be dealing his stuff eventually....or more likely throwing it out. People vastly overestimate the cash value of the things they hold dear.

Walk away from it.

If it was a full price offer id be pissed too but it wasnt. When trying to get a bargain, youre gonna deal with some back and forth.

I watched and owner agree to a trade in our dynasty draft, not once, but twice this past may. Right in front of the whole league (we were all there).

No but he hinted around it. "I'm not doing this for $500 or $1000 but if I got an offer for full price, I'd take it. I'm not doing this for the money. If it comes down to $1000, I will give it to you. I want you to have the guitar. I can tell you're a good guy and you'd give the guitar a good home. Who knows, this may still work out for you. Let's give it a week or two."
Sounds like there is a thin market for these things. Now that he feels a little bad about this, you are in a good position. Wait a few days and see where he is.

Sounds like there is a thin market for these things. Now that he feels a little bad about this, you are in a good position. Wait a few days and see where he is.
Very thin market. I didn't ask what his friends offered--the friends who said he was crazy for selling it at that price. It only takes one buyer though.

A man's word is his bond. If you agree to terms & then back out, your word is worth nothing. Seller beware is just as valid as buyer beware.

On the other hand, if that bitter old fart doesn't want his wife to sell his possessions he should put in his will what goes to her and what gets sent to an auction house. Someone will be dealing his stuff eventually....or more likely throwing it out. People vastly overestimate the cash value of the things they hold dear.

Walk away from it.
He wasn't a bitter old guy at all. Nice old guy who liked to chat about his grandkids. I gently worked the word is your bond angle and he did acknowledge his counter and did apologize for reneging but that was it.

He must have heard you're a FBG and so, have deep pockets.

Sleep with his wife.

eta. if she's still alive.

Just pay him what his asking price is..another 22% is a drop in the bucket for you and the geezer probably needs the cash. Just think of it like a gratuity in a restaurant.

You low-balled him and he is going to try and get full price. If you really want it offer his asking price, otherwise wait a few weeks and see...

Who's good with the googlefu. We need to locate this seller. I want to buy the guitar at full price. Not because I want the guitar, but because I want to offer it for sale to Chet at 120% of the current sale price, going up 1 additional percent each day.

We are talking about an old man here, one contemplating death and easing post death matters for his wife, and one whose friends are looking out for his best interests. Yes, the old man should not have reneged on the deal. That said, I don't think you should have made a lowball offer to a man in his situation. Normally I believe in doing the best one can in a bargain, but that presumes both parties are of full capacity. I don't necessarily presume this of the old man. Not all deals need be a contest of wills.

Who's good with the googlefu. We need to locate this seller. I want to buy the guitar at full price. Not because I want the guitar, but because I want to offer it for sale to Chet at 120% of the current sale price, going up 1 additional percent each day.

We are talking about an old man here, one contemplating death and easing post death matters for his wife, and one whose friends are looking out for his best interests. Yes, the old man should not have reneged on the deal. That said, I don't think you should have made a lowball offer to a man in his situation. Normally I believe in doing the best one can in a bargain, but that presumes both parties are of full capacity. I don't necessarily presume this of the old man. Not all deals need be a contest of wills.
How do you know my offer was a lowball?

You want to bandy semantics?

You want to bandy semantics?
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread