What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best smartphone apps for ______________ (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
I searched through the other apps thread, but the majority of posts there are a couple years old, so I thought I would fire up a new app thread. I'll try to keep all the suggestions indexed and categorized here in the OP.

Just looking for what you guys and gals find to be the best apps for everything.

I was looking for a decent app for video editing (free or otherwise). I tried a few but they wouldn't do simple things like trim the beginning and end off of a clip. So I would welcome any suggestions on a video editing app, but I also want to hear suggestions for your favorite apps for everything, so I make sure I'm not missing out on any greatness.

I'll throw out one from the other thread that I tried and found to be pretty awesome. Waze, for maps/navigation. It not only does navigation, but also accepts input from users on locations of traffic snarls, speed traps, etc. Pretty solid.

What else ya got?

**Numbers in brackets next to an app represent multiple votes/mentions

Finances/Credit Monitoring

• Mint Bills [2]
  • Credit Karma
  • Yahoo Finance
Food/Drink

• Untappd (beer reviews, including your own)
  • Sipsnapp (lets you take a picture of the beer/wine menu and it will pull all the rankings from beeradvocate.com giving you the best available choice)
Games

• Chess Time [2]
  • Quiz Up
Lifehacks

• Cozi [2] (calendar sharing)
  • Key Ring [2] (for storing rewards cards, etc.)
  • Anylist (shared grocery list that everyone in the family can access)
  • Anymote Smart TV Remote (customizable universal remote app)
  • OurGroceries (shared grocery list that everyone in the family can access)
Maps/Navigation/Traffic

• Google Maps [4]
  • Waze [4]
  • Inrix
News

• Flipboard
  • Google News and Weather
Photography/Photo and Video Editing

• Fast Camera (camera app, will take burst pics then you can keep/discard the ones you want)
  • Imgur (easy uploading to websites)
  • Instasize (post entire pics to a pre-set size, ie. post a non-square pic to Instagram)
  • Moldiv (collage building)
  • Perfect Video - Video Editor & Movie Maker (Pro version)
  • Pics Play Pro (editing tools)
  • Photogene (editing and collage building)
  • PicsArt Studio
  • Video2Photo (allows you to get pictures from your videos)
Radio/Podcasts

• PocketCast [3]
  • TuneIn [3] (podcasts, AM/FM radio stations)
  • Podcast Republic [2]
  • LocalCast
  • Shazam (identifying songs, etc.)
  • Songza (Almost never any ads - playlist based radio)
Social Media

• Friendly+ (Facebook with adblocker)
  • Tweetcaster
Sports

• ESPN (guessing everyone probably has this already, so not counting votes)
  • The Score [9]
  • Yahoo Sports [3]
  • Bleacher Report
  • CBS Fantasy Sports
  • FantasyPros News (breaking fantasy news)
  • FotMob (soccer scores)
  • MLB At Bat
  • Thuuz Sports (exciting game alerts, etc.)
Technology

• Feedly [3] (RSS reader)
  • Handcent [2] (MMS/SMS)
  • Teamview [2] (allows you to remote control your home desktop using your phone)
  • Textra [2] (texting app)
  • IFTTT (connect different apps to work together)
  • PaperKarma (Take a picture of your junk mail, submit and never get that in your mail again)
  • Polaris Office (Great for editing all kinds of docs)
Travel

• Gas Buddy (for gas prices)
  • iExit (shows all services for every expressway and US highway exit)
  • Roadahead (shows upcoming exits and for gas stations it also shows the current Unleaded price per gallon right next to the station name)
  • Rome2Rio (Enter 2 destinations and it will show you every option to get there and what it costs)
  • Tripit (send it your email confirmations for plane, hotel, car, etc and it assembles your itinerary, stores your confirmation numbers, flight numbers, gives you maps to your hotel etc.)
  • TVFoodMaps (Locates all nearby restaurants that have been on a TV show. Its great for traveling)
  • Yelp (Ratings/reviews on just about any travel destinations-museums,restaurants, bars,etc.)
TV/Movies

• IMDB (movie/show info)
  • Flixter (movie info)
  • MX Player (good for playing all sorts of file types)
  • Xfinity TV Remote Control (control TV, check channel guide, and set DVR)
  • Xfinity TV Go (watch On Demand shows)
Utilities/Helpers for your device

• Google Keep [2] (notes)
  • Screen Filter[2] (Android only; make your screen extra dim)
  • Agent (misc. helpful functions)
  • Boat browser (web browser-Android only, customizable settings, URL shortener for sharing links)
  • ES File Explorer
  • GTask (notes)
  • Sound Profile (handy volume settings)
  • SwiftKey (keyboard)
  • Swype (keyboard/text entry)
  • Zedge (Ringtones and Wallpapers and text tones)
Weather

• 1Weather [4]
  • Weather Underground [4]
  • Dark Sky [4]
  • The Weather Channel [2]
  • AIX weather widget
  • RadarNow!
  • Tempest Radar Weather Free
  • WeatherBug
Misc.

Hooking up: Grindr :lol:  

RoadID (Give it a contact person and it will send them a link to track you around and alert them if you stopped for too long, etc. Good safety app.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather: RadarNow! and AIX weather widget.

Anyone have a better/simpler app for breaking down the hour by hour weather than these? There used to be one I enjoyed but it stopped working.

Anyone have a better/simpler app for breaking down the hour by hour weather than these? There used to be one I enjoyed but it stopped working.
I just use the Weather Channel app (I know, I know :bag: ), and while I may glance at the hourly forecast, I usually just pull up the radar and predict my own forecast. I do just as well as they do most of the time, sometimes better. :lol:

What do these 2 apps do to make them stand out?

Weather: Weather Underground

-Used Weather.com for a while, now it's horrible. Like WUnderground.

Traffic: Inrix

-I don't trust the Waze thing. Just give me a map with color-coded traffic and I'll figure out the best route.

Finances: Mint Bills

-Pretty good for monitoring accounts in one place. They lose functionality from time to time, but I bought it for $4.99 like 4 years ago, and it's done me well.

I use the weather channel app. It does what you asked well, but they just added ads which are a little annoying. I still like it. There's gotta be something better than the espn sportscenter app I use to check scores. Anyone?

I just use the Weather Channel app (I know, I know :bag: ), and while I may glance at the hourly forecast, I usually just pull up the radar and predict my own forecast. I do just as well as they do most of the time, sometimes better. :lol:

What do these 2 apps do to make them stand out?
For short-term "is it going to rain today" type things, I do that too....I use their forecasts for the longer stuff. You can't see fronts, or pop-up thunder storms on the Doppler maps.

I use the weather channel app. It does what you asked well, but they just added ads which are a little annoying. I still like it.There's gotta be something better than the espn sportscenter app I use to check scores. Anyone?
:blackdot:

I freaking hate the ESPN app, but it's the only one I have...

I use the weather channel app. It does what you asked well, but they just added ads which are a little annoying. I still like it.There's gotta be something better than the espn sportscenter app I use to check scores. Anyone?
I use the ESPN app too, and also have The Score, and it's pretty decent, but there are a few sports it doesn't cover

I use the ESPN app too, and also have The Score, and it's pretty decent, but there are a few sports it doesn't cover
+1 for the score

Weather:

1Weather

Sports:

theScore (though ESPN seems to have gotten better)

Maps:

Google Maps or Waze

RSS Reader:

Feedly

Maps/Navigation

• Waze
Just heard about this one.

I have been using Google maps and love it.

What does this offer that Google maps doesn't?

From what little I heard about it, seems like people have to input their traffic issues?

Is that the case?
Didn't google buy Waze and integrate it into Maps anyways?
Bought? Yes. Fully integrated it into Maps? Not yet at least.

The thing that separates Waze from Maps is that Waze uses info from their uses to update traffic, accidents, police, etc. Maps will show you traffic problems, but it may not be totally up to date, where as Waze usually is.

Maps/Navigation

• Waze

From what little I heard about it, seems like people have to input their traffic issues?

Is that the case?
Haven't used Google maps, so can't speak to that. I also use the native Apple Maps app if I'm in an area that doesn't have a lot of Waze user interaction, and it seems to have improved a lot since its release, from what I hear

WeatherBug is decent. It has Hourly , 10 Day and radar in the bottom corner of the main screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for Dark Sky. Like how you can get a notification if there is a change in weather coming (drizzle, rain, etc.) You can also get a notification/text each morning with a forecast.

Indexed everything thus far..thanks for the replies!

I'll add a few that I use regularly in the Photography/Photo Editing category

• Instasize - resize pics to a pre-set size, ie. if you wanted to post a non-square pic to Instagram. IG will only let you zoom so far out.
  • Pics Play Pro - several handy editing tools such as making an image black and white but keeping certain elements as color (aka color splashing)
  • Photogene - general editing and collage building
  • Moldiv - collage building
  • Fast Camera - camera app; will take burst pics in very rapid succession then you can preview and keep/discard the ones you want

+1 for the score
+2

I use the Bleacher Report app for scores and to stay updated on team news. I like that they pull in the twitter feed and social media into one team stream. I also like that it offers real time score updates and tweets during the game. I use it for Baseball, Football, College FBall, and College BBall.

I use the Bleacher Report app for scores and to stay updated on team news. I like that they pull in the twitter feed and social media into one team stream. I also like that it offers real time score updates and tweets during the game. I use it for Baseball, Football, College FBall, and College BBall.
Nice! Will have to check that out.

My favorite podcast app is - Podcast Republic. I download several talk radio shows (Dan Patrick national show and Petros and Money local LA show) religiously.

1Weather

TheScore

podcasts: PocketCast

photo editing: PicsArt Studio

News: Flipboard

Notes: Google Keep

I'm a big fan of all the Google stuff. Play Music, keep, etc.

I still use Gtask, its different than keep but syncs with your Google account the same way.

Sportacular, I think it changed to Yahoo sports has been my go to sports since the OG iPhone.

Maps/Navigation

• Waze

Is that the case?
Bought? Yes. Fully integrated it into Maps? Not yet at least.

The thing that separates Waze from Maps is that Waze uses info from their uses to update traffic, accidents, police, etc. Maps will show you traffic problems, but it may not be totally up to date, where as Waze usually is.
So far I like how google is working it in. I recently got an alert of a traffic accident a few miles ahead on the highway courtesy of waze, which confused me since I haven't had waze on my phone since trying it out early on (when there weren't enough users yet to make it worthwhile IMO).

It reminded me to try it out again. There was too much noise on there for my liking, although I admittedly haven't taken the time to see how customizable it is. I just don't need to be alerted to everything someone else considers a hazard - like some random pothole.

Maps already gives me automatic rerouting options if there's an accident or other traffic issue. I wonder what if they can work in locations of police at some point.

1Weather

TheScore

podcasts: PocketCast

photo editing: PicsArt Studio

News: Flipboard

Notes: Google Keep
Does Google Keep save to your google account? Haven't seen that one.
Don't think it is available for iPhone but there are 3rd party apps that hook you up.

Add another one for theScore.

Can't find a good podcast app. Everything I see mentioned in these threads is too constipated. I just use the old Apple podcasts app.

Will go scroll back and look at some of the answers, but here's what I have:

Restaurant/bar/etc. reviews: Yelp

Weather: 1Weather

Stocks/finance: Yahoo Finance

Music "aid": Shazam

Sports: TheScore

Will go scroll back and look at some of the answers, but here's what I have:

Restaurant/bar/etc. reviews: Yelp

Weather: 1Weather

Stocks/finance: Yahoo Finance

Music "aid": Shazam

Sports: TheScore
Good calls on Yelp and Shazam.

Use Yelp all the time when traveling to find good restaurants.

Shazam will identify songs based on hearing part of it. You can even hum or whistle and it will often know the song.

Have you Score people tried Yahoo Sports? Just downloaded the Score and played with it for a few minutes. Still prefer Yahoo but maybe I'm missing something.

Travel

Rome2Rio - Enter 2 destinations and it will show you every option to get there and what it costs. Great for train travel in Europe, but useful everywhere. I just entered in my place of work to my house and it gave me every option from metro to bus to uber and the approximate costs of each.

Comcast TV Remote - Useful for changing the channel when you're in bed trying to sleep and your wife is watching a really loud reality TV show. Actually has other good uses too like recording on your dvr while away.

Scoresman said:
Travel

Rome2Rio - Enter 2 destinations and it will show you every option to get there and what it costs. Great for train travel in Europe, but useful everywhere. I just entered in my place of work to my house and it gave me every option from metro to bus to uber and the approximate costs of each.
Nice! Gonna check that one out too. :thumbup: also made Travel a category.

I took shazam off. Google can do the song lookup thing now. Shazam is better, but Google is good enough to not have to use shazam. It alsonlinks you right to the song on Google play.

I took shazam off. Google can do the song lookup thing now. Shazam is better, but Google is good enough to not have to use shazam. It alsonlinks you right to the song on Google play.
Yeah, iPhone / Siri has this, but it's slower and less effective. I don't have an iPhone right now but saw a buddy try (and fail).

Cliff Clavin said:
Nathan R. Jessep said:
Cliff Clavin said:
IMBD

Flickster

theScore

Feedly

Agent
does Flickster = Flixter?and what is Agent?
Yes.Agent is for Android. Autotext response when driving. Silence hours where you can only let certain calls/texts notify you. Low battery settings. Parking history. Meeting settings.
Oooh, me likey. Something to do tonight. :)

Nathan R. Jessep said:
East Coast Bias said:
Have you Score people tried Yahoo Sports? Just downloaded the Score and played with it for a few minutes. Still prefer Yahoo but maybe I'm missing something.
no, but I will give it a look
+1 ... theScore is good, but could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread