What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 ACC Basketball (closed - see 2017 thread) (1 Viewer)

oso diablo

Footballguy
time to start up the new thread for the 2015-16 ACC hoops season...

Last edited by a moderator:
NC State picked up a late commitment from Maverick Rowan, a SG/SF who was a top 30 recruit for 2016 and reclassified to 2015.

Gott added a few late pieces that could really help this year.

2 sports truisms...

1. Your team is not as good as you think it is.

2. Your rival is not as bad as you think it is.

NC State picked up a late commitment from Maverick Rowan, a SG/SF who was a top 30 recruit for 2016 and reclassified to 2015.

Gott added a few late pieces that could really help this year.
Stole him from Pitt. Pitt will be mediocre. Might steal one against Wake or something.

Getting close to switching horses this year. Have one mulling over the engineering schools and waiting for another to make a verbal commitment this year if all goes well.

Is this where we laugh at Roy butchering his recruiting of the best crop of high school seniors the state of NC has ever had?

2 sports truisms...

1. Your team is not as good as you think it is.

2. Your rival is not as bad as you think it is.
Not usually a problem as far as 2 goes, as that's decided for me when the media wildly overrates UNC every single season. This season, I can only assume ESPN etc. will have them as projected to run the table

State is having its Red and White game before the State-Louisville game on Saturday. The original plan was very cool, they were going to set up an outdoor court in the plaza between the basketball and football stadiums. They will now presumably have to move it due to weather.

More importantly, State is supposedly hosting 26 basketball recruits for the event and the football game, including Bam Adebayo, Rawle Alkins, and Udoka Azubuike, all highly ranked recruits for 2016. Bam is widely expected to commit on Saturday, and momentum seems to be building for State to land Alkins (not necessarily on Saturday). This could be one of the few best recruiting classes in State's history.

Gott has become a force on the recruiting trail. :wolf:

They're in the ACC, although if that report is to be believed, they might be ready to move on from Pitino (which I'll believe when I see it; seems like many a coach has survived worse than that, justifiably or not, cough cough Boeheim cough).

Wake's Miller-McIntyre out 4-6; get better soon.

pre-season media poll is out.

Team & Points

1. North Carolina (60): 1292
2. Virginia (18): 1226
3. Duke (8): 1187
4. Notre Dame (1): 949
5. Miami: 841
6. Florida State (1): 827
7. Louisville: 821
8. NC State: 808
9. Syracuse (1): 666
10. Pitt: 623
11. Wake Forest: 391
12. Clemson: 359
13. Georgia Tech: 296
14. Virginia Tech: 260
15. Boston College: 134

2015-16 Preseason All-ACC Team
(votes in parenthesis)

First team
Marcus Paige, Sr., North Carolina (86)
Malcolm Brogdon, Sr., Virginia (77)
Xavier Rathan-Mayes, So., Florida State (43)
Brandon Ingram, Fr., Duke (29)
Demetrius Jackson, Jr., Notre Dame (28)

Second team
Anthony Gill, Sr., Virginia (27)
Grayson Allen, So., Duke (27)
Zach Auguste, Sr., Notre Dame (24)
Anthony “Cat” Barber, Jr., NC State (22)
Brice Johnson, Sr., North Carolina (22)

ACC Preseason Co-Players of the Year
Marcus Paige, Sr., North Carolina
Malcolm Brodgon, Sr., Virginia

ACC Preseason Freshman of the Year
Brandon Ingram, Duke

Wow, they're high on Allen. I'll believe it when I see it. That NC game was more of an anomaly when you look at the full body of work from last year IMO.

Wow, they're high on Allen. I'll believe it when I see it. That NC game was more of an anomaly when you look at the full body of work from last year IMO.
I can of course understand that comment but that's mostly (or exclusively) because Krzyzewski didn't play him enough (until the very end, and thank goodness for that). You'll find other outbursts from him as well when granted PT.

I can of course understand that comment but that's mostly (or exclusively) because Krzyzewski didn't play him enough (until the very end, and thank goodness for that). You'll find other outbursts from him as well when granted PT.
Even in the NC game, he looked a little out of control with some of his shots being lucky rather than fluid. Announcers always speak of his athleticism but I didn't see it. He appeared to be one of those white guys that looks great in a dunk contest but whose athleticism doesn't translate well into game action.

Even in the NC game, he looked a little out of control with some of his shots being lucky rather than fluid. Announcers always speak of his athleticism but I didn't see it. He appeared to be one of those white guys that looks great in a dunk contest but whose athleticism doesn't translate well into game action.
:confused: I imagine Wisconsin thought it translated pretty well into game action when he singlehandedly brought Duke back.

:confused: I imagine Wisconsin thought it translated pretty well into game action when he singlehandedly brought Duke back.
there was nothing exceptionally athletic about what he did in that game. he's not a high flyer nor is he particularly quick so i never understand where he get's this reputation as a great athlete.

there was nothing exceptionally athletic about what he did in that game. he's not a high flyer nor is he particularly quick so i never understand where he get's this reputation as a great athlete.
Gotcha!

Gotcha!
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him earn a 2nd team spot. They really lack a veteran scorer this year like they had in Cook that can step up and carry the team offensively when the freshmen are struggling. Everyone older than Allen is more of a role player.

pre-season media poll is out.

Team & Points

1. North Carolina (60): 1292

2. Virginia (18): 1226

3. Duke (8): 1187

4. Notre Dame (1): 949

5. Miami: 841

6. Florida State (1): 827

7. Louisville: 821

8. NC State: 808

9. Syracuse (1): 666

10. Pitt: 623

11. Wake Forest: 391

12. Clemson: 359

13. Georgia Tech: 296

14. Virginia Tech: 260

15. Boston College: 134
Notre Dame seems pretty overrated here. They lost their best two players in Grant and Connaughton. What am I missing?

I'm also not sold on Miami or FSU finishing that high. I expect State will finish 4-6.

2015-16 Preseason All-ACC Team

(votes in parenthesis)

First team

Marcus Paige, Sr., North Carolina (86)

Malcolm Brogdon, Sr., Virginia (77)

Xavier Rathan-Mayes, So., Florida State (43)

Brandon Ingram, Fr., Duke (29)

Demetrius Jackson, Jr., Notre Dame (28)

Second team

Anthony Gill, Sr., Virginia (27)

Grayson Allen, So., Duke (27)

Zach Auguste, Sr., Notre Dame (24)

Anthony “Cat” Barber, Jr., NC State (22)

Brice Johnson, Sr., North Carolina (22)

ACC Preseason Co-Players of the Year

Marcus Paige, Sr., North Carolina

Malcolm Brodgon, Sr., Virginia

ACC Preseason Freshman of the Year

Brandon Ingram, Duke
I will be surprised if Ingram is 1st team All ACC and if Brice Johnson is 2nd team All ACC.

Asking this here because let's be honest, nobody will see it in the college football thread ...

Is next weekend the biggest UNC-Duke football game in the history of the rivalry? I'm no historian, just curious if there's ever been one like this.

Asking this here because let's be honest, nobody will see it in the college football thread ...

Is next weekend the biggest UNC-Duke football game in the history of the rivalry? I'm no historian, just curious if there's ever been one like this.
They haven't played each other as ranked teams for 76 years according to teh twitter.

I don't know the rivalry enough to answer that but it has to be UNC's biggest game since Mack Brown lost in Charlottesville 20-17 blowing a two touchdown fourth quarter lead. A Carolina win almost wraps up the Coastal division for them. I think they will go 11-1 and lose to Clemson in the ACCCG and still end up in a pretty sweet bowl game.

any big games for UNC in November?
There's a tournament just before Thanksgiving that now has some lose-able games without Paige (Northwestern the first day and either K State or Missouri the second day). That's about it. Bigger bummer is he could miss what would have been the non-conference game of the year on December 1 at home vs Maryland. Even if he's back he would have just returned to the court.

any big games for UNC in November?
Open against Temple in Annapolis. Not sure how good Temple is supposed to be, but that could be a bit trickier now.

Also play at Northern Iowa. Tough road game against a mid-major could be interesting.

Play in tourney with Wofford, Northwestern, and KState/Mizzou.

Nothing too tough, but could easily be a slip up there if they aren't careful.

#1 recruit harry giles (who will almost certainly commit to duke next week) partially tore his right acl 2 minutes into the season opener.

This is after he shredded the other knee (much more serious injury) 2 years ago

Bummer

He didn't get a lot of playing time during the regular season, but there were moments later in the season where he absolutely showed athleticism. One particular instance was when he ran down the court, came out of nowhere and blocked a shot on a fast break. He seemingly jumped out of the gym on that play. I remember rewinding it a few times. I was wanting him to get more pt during the whole season, as I was a big fan of his HS tape. His breakout game in the NC game was awesome for me and my family, as we all are fans of his.

Smith signed his LOI and will enroll at State in January. This will allow him to rehab his knee under supervision of State's medical staff and will allow him to use State's facilities. He will also be able to watch practice, which should help him to be better prepared next fall. :thumbup:

Smith signed his LOI and will enroll at State in January. This will allow him to rehab his knee under supervision of State's medical staff and will allow him to use State's facilities. He will also be able to watch practice, which should help him to be better prepared next fall. :thumbup:
I'm guessing Giles does the same thing at duke.

So excited for this weekend of games!!

Pitt opens up tonight on ESPN against #9 Gonzaga in Japan. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

Nice win for DUKE. Allen was a beast. He looked pretty athletic to me. Jefferson has put on some muscle and looks very comfortable out there. Ingram is going to be a stud despite missing several shots tonight. Kennard looked very smooth and should have his share of games where he is deadly behind the arc. He can also pass very well. Thornton looked better than expected after a slow preseason. Overall good win.

Pitt led by 2 at halftime over the Zags and then the officials cancelled the game because the ####### floor was slippery.

Users who are viewing this thread