What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense 2015** Week 15 - Playoffs: No time to get cute (1 Viewer)

Insein

Footballguy
So this thread was a pretty big success for a lot of people last year. Time to fire it up for a new season.

Training camps have been open for a week and we still don't know much about how the new defenses will gel. The first few weeks are always the hardest to predict. So lets start by establishing who we think the worst Offenses will be.

2014's worst were TB, Jax, Oak, Ten, NYJ, Buf, Stl, Cle, and Ari. Some of these will obviously improve due to players coming back from injury or acquisitions but I think Ten and TB will still struggle with rookies under center. Jax with Bortles will still have issues. Cle has talent at other spots but QB is still an issue. Oak, NYJ, Buf and Stl should improve. Newcomers possibly to suckitude could be SF or Hou. Just guesses right now.

So what's everyone thinking so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the NFL, it is pretty tough to pick what team is going to suck the most right off the bat. Plus, you presumably are drafting a defense that you are going to test the waters on at least the first two weeks. This will be a great thread once we get a few weeks into the season.

Huge props to Insein for this thread, and for his involvement last year.

My personal streaming last season (or semi-streaming in my case) was decent.

I employed this "semi-streaming" strategy, and I had a decent defense in spots last year for stretches on teams and it worked just as well if not better than "plug and play" with a more well known commodity.

One team I snagged was The Browns, I picked them up for weeks 7-8-9 and 10 then went and dug up another.

I remember getting the Vikings in weeks 7-8-9 in another league.

Sure its early, and all we can do is speculate at this point, but I will try and point out a few targets for those amongst us that have gotten on board with this strategy.

I think anyone facing Chicago has a good chance of facing a real disaster of a team this season, for a variety of reasons.

Of course its always a bit of a shot in the dark, especially this early but look at everything in that organization.

Multiple injuries at WR, Martellus Bennett being vocal about being unhappy, and threatening a holdout. ( He has tried to cover this up recently, saying "its all business", and now hes back practicing)

Jay Cutler, well he is likely on his last leg, and if he hits the bench again, I think it may well be the last time there in Chicago.

Just how effective will Forte be? Its hard to bet against this guy and his work ethic and track record, but sooner or later age catches up with you.

I'm not saying I will simply pick the team that faces Chicago every week, but trust me they will be on my radar.......but more important is how do The Bears look after a week or two.

We can pretty much count OUT streaming that match up the first couple weeks, since the Bears face Green Bay and AZ in weeks 1 and 2. Both of those defenses are typically picked up by the masses anyway, and may well not be available.

Other week 1 match ups I will be looking at more.......

CAR @ JAX - Is CAR on the wire? Doubtful, but one league I am in is notorious for disregarding a few good popular DEF plays.

TEN @ TB - I can envision a scenario where either play could be good, but in those cases I'm going for the home team. Taking TB here may work out well, and the TEN RB situation looks terrible early on. Mariota could be shaky at first too.

MIN @ SF - Monday night antics..... :) You can file SF in my "do not touch" category for fantasy purposes, and their DEF may be the thing I'm LEAST interested in. The Vikings DEF looked much better than I had remembered in spots last year, I have been watching a bunch of game film on them recently.

CIN @ OAK - I doubt that Cincy will be drafted in a bunch of leagues. This looks like it could be a good play vs OAK on the surface.

Week two sneak peeks-

CLE at home vs. TEN

PITT at home vs. SF

NO at home vs. TB

TZM

Panthers don't face a real QB or RB till week 3. That, and their penny-ante ADP is more than enough to start the year.

If someone nabs them and all else blows up, TEN, with a LeBeau D, against W-INT-ston the first week of his career ought to guarantee a good score.

I started looking at this yesterday and these are my early thoughts:

GB @ Chi - GB crushed Chi in both meetings last year, only minor issue is GB is on the road
NYJ V Cle - J. McCown or J. Manziel, yes please
TB V Ten - two rookie QB, take the D playing at home
Ten @ TB - would consider this play if all the others were already taken

GB @ Chi - GB crushed Chi in both meetings last year, only minor issue is GB is on the road
TB V Ten - two rookie QB, take the D playing at home
We line up almost exactly on these two.

But remember, the "problem" I have with GB vs CHI, is Green Bay will likely NOT be available.

Green Bay gets taken in most drafts by "non sophisticated" fantasy players.

I don't say this as a shot at them, its just they seem to get taken in every league I am ever in with average fantasy players.

I have a similar issue with Carolina. Often they are taken as well. (this is probably just my faulty memory, and not necessarily fact)

But in 1-2 leagues I am in yearly, Carolina is often available.

I personally don't have any ADP rankings on hand for defenses, and obviously its far too early to do anything more than just hazard a guess.

My guess* is Carolina may be available more often than Green Bay is, but again, thats just a guess.

Part of the fun with this streaming is, it changes weekly.

True, its more "work" and I would hate to be a manager in say 15 leagues and have to stream in every single one.

But this adds another dimension to fantasy, at a spot that many of us neglect, me included. (defense)

I don't remember his exact numbers, but Insein mentioned to me that his streaming ended up in year end numbers that were several points higher than popular "plug and play" defenses. It may have been as much as FIVE points a week.

If indeed it ended up that much, then I don't see how any of us can afford NOT to get on board.

Sure some of it may be short term fluctuations (err, luck) but I would like to see some numbers from say a 5 year span.

Hopefully he keeps detailed records again this year, and then we have 2 years worth of numbers instead of just one.

TZM

I was able to out play Seattle last year with streaming picks by about 6.2 points per week. The matchups played a huge part in that.

Meatwad Reloaded said:
Insein said:
I was able to out play Seattle last year with streaming picks by about 6.2 points per week. The matchups played a huge part in that.
Wow...that is a pretty big advantage.
The average weekly score in my league was 12.17. I managed to get 17.67 streaming. Only one other guy caught on after week 5 and started streaming too ending up with 17.5. Other than that, everyone was at or below the average.

I was looking over the complete schedules earlier and a few things stood out.

Check out Miami's early schedule.

@ WAS ...... @ JAX ..... BUF ..... NYJ ..... BYE ..... @ TEN ..... HOU

The Buffalo game looks non threatening at this point, especially with the recent injuries and QB guessing.

After Houston it toughens up a bit though.

I'm guessing they will be drafted in many leagues, in the ADP info I am looking at they are the 9th DEF off the board, so you may be able to get them here and there.

The Tampa Bay DEF may make a good spot start too early on too.

Here is their early schedule. Weeks 1, 4 and 6 look decent.

TEN ..... @ NO ..... @ HOU ..... JAX ..... BYE ..... @ WAS

I may indeed go the "semi streaming" route like I did last year.

I really like the sound of getting the Jets defense, (which should be better than people realize) and snagging someone off the wire on their bad match up weeks.

The Jets are not being drafted currently in the top 10 from what I can see. (Fantasy Pros)

Carolina is currently going 12th-13th DEF off the board too.

Their first few games are fairly soft overall, but their schedule toughens up closer to mid season.

Perhaps snagging them to use the first few weeks then streaming weekly here and there may be a solid plan also.

TZM

Yeah, I crushed with streaming D. It's the only way to go.
It works fine until 2-3 other managers do the same, whereupon the safest options dry up several weeks in advance. In leagues where DSTs can score big points, I prefer to have one go-to D that I supplement with 1-2 streamers.

Some fringe streamers I like for early-season matchups include IND, BAL, and NO.

Yeah, I crushed with streaming D. It's the only way to go.
It works fine until 2-3 other managers do the same, whereupon the safest options dry up several weeks in advance. In leagues where DSTs can score big points, I prefer to have one go-to D that I supplement with 1-2 streamers.

Some fringe streamers I like for early-season matchups include IND, BAL, and NO.
That hasn't happened to me and there are other owners that stream a good % of the time. There are the occasional weeks where you have to take a bit of a gamble. I may be getting lucky, but I usually find some ####ty offense to take advantage of.

My super backup to start the season is Indy

@buff, jets, @tenn, jax, @houston

Not that their defense is great but they should jump out to early leads and make these bad teams throw.

Need to find a replacement for them after that houston game though.

Not that their defense is great but they should jump out to early leads and make these bad teams throw.

Weeks 3-4 look pretty good, and I am relatively sure nobody will be drafting INDY this year. (unless they are reading this thread) :D

On the INDY note, weeks 14 and 15 look pretty good too, and those are crucial weeks as we all know.

For those interested, week 14 is @ JAX and week 15 is home vs. HOU.

TZM

Great, thanks

Indy seems a popular pick. I don't think they're in this "streaming" vein but rather that they are good.

Indy seems a popular pick. I don't think they're in this "streaming" vein but rather that they are good.
I like Indy as well over the first few weeks. That's a pretty cake schedule. Seems like in all the mocks I've done, they've gone undrafted.

TEN has young backs and WRs with dropsies so I'm sure they'll make their share of mistakes, but I don't think Mariota is going to be the FF defensive gem.

He rarely threw INTs in college and that's been a story through camp. I'd put him more in line with whatever a typical veteran has for INTs each year.

The 3-4 INT games rookies usually have doesn't seem fitting for him.

Mistakes, plenty, will be there but he's starting to feel like fool's gold.

I had TEN defense for week one in DFS already plugged in and I do think Lebeau will have them being disruptive, but week one in preseason was so much like 2014 where they can't cover anyone and don't even try to intercept the ball. I'm thinking good points for sacks, negative for points allowed, grabbed a different D.

There's an article on the site pimping the Colts to start the season and pair them up with another team for streaming all year. I'm not mentioning the other team for non-paying subscribers though.

ETA Actually I can't seem to find that article now :confused:

There's an article on the site pimping the Colts to start the season and pair them up with another team for streaming all year. I'm not mentioning the other team for non-paying subscribers though.

ETA Actually I can't seem to find that article now :confused:
I've still got the email i think :D

Miami looks like the best defense to reach a few rounds for in the draft. @Was, @Jax, Buf, NYJ to start the season.

Unfortunately they are being drafted as the 5th defense off the board on FFCalc right now. So it may be a hard to get them if you wait.

TEN has young backs and WRs with dropsies so I'm sure they'll make their share of mistakes, but I don't think Mariota is going to be the FF defensive gem.

He rarely threw INTs in college and that's been a story through camp. I'd put him more in line with whatever a typical veteran has for INTs each year.

I had TEN defense for week one in DFS already plugged in and I do think Lebeau will have them being disruptive, but week one in preseason was so much like 2014 where they can't cover anyone and don't even try to intercept the ball. I'm thinking good points for sacks, negative for points allowed, grabbed a different D.
FWIW, LeBeau has a reputation for demanding no-frills, no-risk, strict-adherence vanilla schemes in preseason. Less about proving your insticts and athleticism, more about proving you know the X's and O's.

Don't know to what extent he's involved in making those choices in TEN, but using preseason to evaluate is even less useful than normal with an old school disciplinarian like him.

I think the Browns could be a sneaky play out the gate for those who wait/go inexpensive on DST, stream them, are in large leagues, etc.

@NYJ

TEN

OAK

Gets tougher for them starting Week 4, but by then you've had 3 weeks to watch all the teams.

I think the Browns could be a sneaky play out the gate for those who wait/go inexpensive on DST, stream them, are in large leagues, etc.

@NYJ

TEN

OAK

Gets tougher for them starting Week 4, but by then you've had 3 weeks to watch all the teams.
Looked at them also. NYJ with Fitzpatrick are actually a better offense though. If Geno was in there, it is a no brainer. Still a good streaming play with the little knowledge we have.

Freelove said:

FWIW, LeBeau has a reputation for demanding no-frills, no-risk, strict-adherence vanilla schemes in preseason. Less about proving your insticts and athleticism, more about proving you know the X's and O's.

Don't know to what extent he's involved in making those choices in TEN, but using preseason to evaluate is even less useful than normal with an old school disciplinarian like him.
There's something inherently wrong about running besides a WR, being "right there" and not doing a darn thing. That's basics or fundamentals and that is what I'd expect to see in preseason.

Reports are he's going to have thrown the whole book at Mariota by week 1, but I agree we didn't see much of that in week one.

There is yet another "bottom of the barrel" defense that stands out like a sore thumb when I go over the schedules.

The CHICAGO BEARS are starting to intrigue me as a defense to keep an eye on throughout the year.

Check out their last few weeks, beginning in week 13.

Week 13 - Home vs. SF

Week 14 - Home vs. WAS

Week 15 - @ MIN

Week 16 - @ TB

As we all know those weeks are crucial and contain the fantasy playoffs.

Now I think there is a good chance Chicago could turn out to be a real train wreck this season, as I alluded to above.

If it really does come off the rails, then I likely don't want anything to do with them.

But if their defense surprises me a little, that 4 week stretch is going to be very interesting as we approach the fantasy playoffs.

The NY Giants are also one to consider....check out their final stretch.

Week 12 - @ WAS

Week 13 - Home vs. NYJ

Week 14 - @ MIA

Week 15 - Home vs. CAR

Week 16 - @ MIN

The Giants are not being drafted anywhere yet either.

As always, we don't know much yet, especially preseason.

But these two I will be "checking on" as the season progresses.

TZM

I wouldn't get too far ahead though. Defenses change drastically from year to year and so do bad Offenses. Trying to project to the playoffs is dangerous if you lock in on a team. But there's no harm in keeping tabs on them like you said.

Insein said:
I wouldn't get too far ahead though. Defenses change drastically from year to year and so do bad Offenses. Trying to project to the playoffs is dangerous if you lock in on a team. But there's no harm in keeping tabs on them like you said.
Of course.

But in the back of my mind,(and listening to other guys in my leagues) streaming defenses is a growing movement.

People have been talking about it, and its likely I will have to stay a step ahead of the curve with some of the other guys in my league.

Obviously I won't draft someone and sit on them all season long, but I have no problem picking up a strong streaming play a week or even two weeks in advance, especially if its more than a one week fill in.

On the Giants note (as an example) they look startable in week 12.

Now certainly we won't know how good the defense actually looks, at least for a number of weeks into the season. But if the defense looks even halfway playable, then I can promise you I will start looking and keeping them "on my radar" around week 8...... and in week 9 or 10 I may even reach if it looks like I will be starting them the remainder of the season. (weeks 12 onward)

Last year I watched in one league as a team "panicked" and dropped the Bills after week 4 and I snagged them immediately.

The Bills let a lot of teams down in week 16 last year, in what should have been a good matchup. But generally they were a great play week in and week out with the exception of a few bad matchups. In fact if you simply sat them vs. DEN and NE, you had a great defense the rest of the season. (week 16 excluded)

In reference to another poster above, THE BROWNS have been a defense that has been good in spots for a few years, but I remember them not being so good last year.

Last year was crazy, they had a handful of supposed "good matchups" where they were dreadful, and then they had a few supposed "terrible matchups" where they were great. Check it out, one matchup vs IND last year I distinctly remember being weird.

Often CLE is on the wire, and one of a handful of defenses we can typically choose from.

This year they start off @NYJ........ home vs. TEN ..... then home vs. OAK.

They may be another I look at after week 1, for a week 2-3 play. In the years I have payed any attention (which admittedly isn't much) they have been a bit better at home, so I am liking the looks of weeks 2 and 3 a bit more to be honest.

TZM

Just a heads up/bump for fellow streamers.

I mentioned in another thread earlier, that I have not been able to watch much preseason action yet, but tonight I will get some prime viewing in.

Unfortunately, much of that will be on RedZone, and the "defensive highlights" are not exactly what they key on.

Anyhow, any and all little tidbits and views about some good defensive showings, would be much appreciated.

Cleveland, Tampa Bay,Cincy and Minnesota are all of interest to me, as they may be some of those available (on waiver wires) to us streamers.

In fact, there are a slew of games tonight. :)

Washington is another playing tonight, but last I heard they are so dinged up, I have no idea what we could actually glean from any showing they have.

Hopefully some of you can chime in with some good feedback and observations here this evening, and I will try and add in anything I see thats interesting.

TZM

I'm excited to see more out of the Bucs and the Bears. The Bucs defense looked downright vicious against what should've been a good bengals offense. Some of it is preseason game script I'm sure but their qb pressure was wonderful to watch.

Bears are a little less exciting at the moment but I was damn impressed with them against the colts. We didn't get to see what their run d will be like against a team trying to grind it, game script again, so there might be more problems than we know. That said, they are a unit still trying to figure out what they can do. McPhee looks like a very bad man

Miami looks like the best defense to reach a few rounds for in the draft. @Was, @Jax, Buf, NYJ to start the season.

Unfortunately they are being drafted as the 5th defense off the board on FFCalc right now. So it may be a hard to get them if you wait.
Miami just got even sexier in week one with Kirk Cousins being named the starter for the Redskins.

easily one of the best threads, year in and year out. i grabbed the colts as the last d off the board at 16.08. very happy with that. i think for the casual fan, they are perceived as that team with andrew luck that scores a lot. miami was taken in the 9th round. i have one more draft tomorrow :popcorn:

I ended up with GB for week 1 and was able to get them with my 2nd to last pick of the draft... fell farther than expected.

Also, I like the call for MIA give WAS QB mess and their early schedule looks good.

I can't figure out if The Browns defense is that good, or if Tampa Bay's O-Line is really that bad.

On a few scattered plays I have seen while bouncing around to different games, it has just been abysmal for TB.

Their O-Line must be terrible.

Cleveland may well be another streaming option at times, but man they were so "Jekyll and Hyde" last year. :(

TZM

TZMarkie said:
I can't figure out if The Browns defense is that good, or if Tampa Bay's O-Line is really that bad.

On a few scattered plays I have seen while bouncing around to different games, it has just been abysmal for TB.

Their O-Line must be terrible.

Cleveland may well be another streaming option at times, but man they were so "Jekyll and Hyde" last year. :(

TZM
I hear you. Predicting if the good or bad Cleveland defense will show up is like trying to predict their RB starter from week to week.

I got really lucky and nabbed Miami in the next to last round of my draft. I hope the rest of you who haven't drafted yet are as fortunate.

Waited too long on Miami. Should have broke my rule about taking defense 2nd to last. They went in the 14th of 20 rounds. Ended up with TB for week 1. May check the waiver wire before then.

I have Carolina going vs the Jags week 1.

The Jags have looked better this preseason but I like the low O/U in the game. Like others have said, I may see how the WW looks prior to Week 1.

I ended up drafting the Jets in the 2nd to last Rd yesterday afternoon in my main redraft league. Heard Leonard Williams injured his knee last night. Bummer. Jets have Browns week 1, but then Colts & Eagles the following two weeks, so I'll be streaming those weeks for sure (probably by grabbing Colts; probably should have drafted them as a 2nd DST, but decided to save a roster spot for a position player flier).

IND, NYJ, CAR, TB and MIA all have good early season schedules. TEN, JAX and BUF have pretty decent mid-season schedules and DAL, NE have good end season schedules. You can sprinkle HOU in here and there for the whole season and KC in occasionally mid through late season.

As someone mentioned already, IND has a great schedule early on. You could likely go with them for weeks 1-5 @BUF, vs NYJ, @ TEN, vs JAX and @ HOU.

That's potentially looking at Cassel/Tyrod/EJ, Fitzpatrick, the rook Mariota, Bortles and Hoyer.

Here I am on the "eve" of my biggest $$$ draft...............

(I have some other thoughts on mental acuity in and around your drafts, and afterwards as well)

I may post on this later on.

The more I think I knew on many things, the less I think I have it figured out.

This is a nervousness that I tend to have each year, but yet its the one thing I tend to forget until it rears its ugly head.

Its almost like a quiet uncertainty.

Of course, it also relates to streaming.

My knee jerk reaction this year,is to try and nail down MIAMI in a later round, say the 12th or 13th.

(every year I say I will wait till the last round, but yet I am always able to pull the trigger on one in the 12th, knowing my long shot lottery tickets will be there later most of the time)

The more I look over everything, this thread included, it seems like acquiring Miami will be the streamers best friend this year.

Then we will have a better knowledge of how the defenses look, into week 6 and beyond.

Is pulling the trigger a round or two early on Miami a shark move?

Talk me off the ledge............................

TZM

(I have some other thoughts on mental acuity in and around your drafts, and afterwards as well)

This is a nervousness that I tend to have each year, but yet its the one thing I tend to forget until it rears its ugly head.

My knee jerk reaction this year,is to try and nail down MIAMI in a later round, say the 12th or 13th.

(every year I say I will wait till the last round, but yet I am always able to pull the trigger on one in the 12th, knowing my long shot lottery tickets will be there later most of the time)

The more I look over everything, this thread included, it seems like acquiring Miami will be the streamers best friend this year.

Then we will have a better knowledge of how the defenses look, into week 6 and beyond.

TZM
Miami has been available easily in the second to last round of all my drafts so far. Every mock I run has them easily available as well. Unless your other players read the shark pool, you are likely safe.

TZM
Miami has been available easily in the second to last round of all my drafts so far. Every mock I run has them easily available as well. Unless your other players read the shark pool, you are likely safe.
Depends on your league so if you kmow your mates, make the decision based on that. I drafted with a bunch of randoms from here and the draft was as expected, late qbs, only one person reaching on dst and k. Meanwhile my personal friends and I drafted and these mofos all pick 2 qbs before round 10 and 7 of them had dst's by round 12. If you don't know your league, err on the side of safety I'd say.

I think part of the issue with mock drafts on many sites, is that people don't follow through.

(Note I am not referring to you or your insight)

What I mean is this -

Often in many of the countless of mocks I do, a fair amount of the people actually leave halfway through the draft.

Then the computer takes over, and it throws everything off.

Many on this board like to say "I want to take my defense in the last round, or next to last".

In the real world, this just isn't the case. (at least in my leagues) You certainly won't be getting anything that seems to be top tier at any rate.

In my local leagues, someone takes the plunge earlier too.

Someone always takes a deep breath and grabs Seattle in like the 9th or 10th. Then a round later another one goes off the board, then another.

Then of course when you mention it here everyone says "well thats stupid", or "I wish I was in those fishy leagues".

All that name calling is irrelevant, the defenses are being pulled, so how do we react at this point..?

I recounted in another thread, Hell it may have been in another defensive thread last year or so, where I came upon a unique position.

It has only happened once to me personally, in all my years in fantasy.

Essentially "the seas parted just right", and by round 10 I had essentially everyone I was targeting. Imagine a draft where you basically get everyone you want, at said position. (lets be realistic here, it wasn't all WR1s and RB1s, but you should get the picture)

I was satisfied everywhere, and the only thing I had to worry about then was extended depth.

The back up/cuff backs I were looking at, would almost assuredly last until round 12 or later.

So one time in my life I got Seattle early, it was late in round 10 I believe, in a 10 man league.

(for those interested, I did make the playoffs that year but was beaten in the first round)

Point is, in my leagues often the premiere defenses tend to go in rounds 11-13, a few people reach.

Its not so bad I guess, my heart isn't really set to getting a top defense. (though getting lucky and nailing Buffalo last year sure was nice)

This is why I was thinking more and more about Miami.

Then it leads to a perfect "semi-streaming" scenario, where basically only later on in the season do you really have to worry about it.

By that time (week 6-7) the jury will be out and we will have more of a clue who we can target from the waiver wire pit of bottom tier defenses. :)

The more I think on this, the more and more I think I will target Miami later in a reasonable round, like 12 or so, then proceed from there.

Of course, I will have to be extremely happy with my team to that point, but thats not always the case.

(now if someone grabs Julio Jones before I can get my hands on him at 12, then you might be reading about me on the news) :ph34r:

TZM

I like Indy as well over the first few weeks. That's a pretty cake schedule. Seems like in all the mocks I've done, they've gone undrafted.
my plan is take the panthers then possibly pick up the colts. good combo schedule

Maybe I missed it (seriously, point and call me dumb if I did) but why are there so many people taking flyers on the colts dst? I know it changes year to year and you never know what you'll get but seriously, they were not good on defense last year and I don't see why that will change. Yes they have a favorable schedule for their defense but this does not guarantee success. Even the bad teams score when the defense gives as much resistance as a gentle sneeze. I'm open to being wrong, I'd just like someone to tell me why I am.

Users who are viewing this thread