What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show released 40 years ago today (1 Viewer)

Theater in my town shows it every Sat. Night. I have to say....I don't get it. Are you supposed to be smoking the pot when you go to see this?

I've never watched it. Is it worth watching just for the sake of curiosity?

The movie, itself, is pretty dumb. What makes the movie great are the people yelling at the screen. They the real MVP.
Virgin
In Boston in the 80s it played on weekends very late at a theater downtown and we would hike in from the South Shore to see it. They had a crew who would stand up on a small stage, in costume, and act out the show while the movie was playing. This helped for some to get the audience participation bits. They also did a bit before the show, where they would ask 'virgins' to come up to the stage and they would tease and make fun of you in a friendly RHPS way. I was told that I looked like Cousin Oliver from the brady bunch. Thanks!

It was always a fun trip for my friends and me to go into the city late on a Saturday nite when we were in HS.

The movie, itself, is pretty dumb. What makes the movie great are the people yelling at the screen. They the real MVP.
Virgin
In Boston in the 80s it played on weekends very late at a theater downtown and we would hike in from the South Shore to see it. They had a crew who would stand up on a small stage, in costume, and act out the show while the movie was playing. This helped for some to get the audience participation bits. They also did a bit before the show, where they would ask 'virgins' to come up to the stage and they would tease and make fun of you in a friendly RHPS way. I was told that I looked like Cousin Oliver from the brady bunch. Thanks!

It was always a fun trip for my friends and me to go into the city late on a Saturday nite when we were in HS.
The place in Greater Boston for many years to see Rocky Horror was the old Brattle Theater in Harvard Square.

Saw it in college when it was showing every Friday at midnight. Bought it on DVD and showed it to my kids. They think I'm nuts. Now I'm afraid to show them Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

My wife declared this as the best movie ever. Watching it now for the first time. She did say it's much better if you go to the theater with other people.
Major understatement here. But, you want to see it with Audience participation, not audience recreation. The best times watching it while in high school with everyone participating (rice, toast, dancing, and so much more). After high school I would catch it occasionally and the trend was towards a group of people at the front of the theater recreating the scenes. The audience seemed more interested in watching that rather than actually participating. Not as much fun.

My wife declared this as the best movie ever. Watching it now for the first time. She did say it's much better if you go to the theater with other people.
Major understatement here. But, you want to see it with Audience participation, not audience recreation. The best times watching it while in high school with everyone participating (rice, toast, dancing, and so much more). After high school I would catch it occasionally and the trend was towards a group of people at the front of the theater recreating the scenes. The audience seemed more interested in watching that rather than actually participating. Not as much fun.
We had both. The people upfront acting it out and the audience fully involved.

Absolutely.

The idea that you need drugs or a live audience at the theater to enjoy this is pure nonsense. Both can enhance it, sure, but you don't need it to enjoy it.

It's great silly fun, and the music really is quite enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely.

The idea that you need drugs or a live audience at the theater to enjoy this is pure nonsense. Both can enhance it, sure, but you don't need it to enjoy it.

It is absolutely not the same experience that seeing it with a good audience is.

If you've never seen it yet, watching it alone it will be the single worst thing you've ever seen.
I get what you are saying. But I saw Joe Namath offer to kiss that butch reporteress... Forgot her name... But that was pretty ####### ugly. Watching RHPS alone is worse than watching Broadway Joe trying to kiss a lesbian?

Been trying to book a flight to Transexual Transylvania for years.

Think their airline closed down tho

NCCommish said:
Ghost Rider said:
Absolutely.

It is absolutely not the same experience that seeing it with a good audience is.
Speak for yourself.

Overhyped tripe, IMO. I'd rather watch Young Frankenstein 24/7 instead.

Yes, everything is subjective. I get it.

James Bond said:
Saw it in college when it was showing every Friday at midnight. Bought it on DVD and showed it to my kids. They think I'm nuts. Now I'm afraid to show them Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Go with the Flying Circus, much better than their movies. Skip the fourth season though.

Below link has video...

Cast of ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’ Reunites After 25 Years

The cast of The Rocky Horror Picture Show reunited on Today for the first time in 25 years to celebrate the film’s 40th anniversary. Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Meat Loaf, Patricia Quinn, and Tim Curry sat down with Joe Fryer and took a trip down memory lane. The actors revealed some inside information about the creation of the film, which was originally a stage play, and discussed the various reasons for Rocky Horror’s staying power all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread