What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reporter and cameraman killed during live report in Virginia (1 Viewer)

Crazy. A meteorologist friend of mine on Facebook mentioned this about an hour ago and I thought he was getting bad information because I couldn't find it anywhere on the news. Very sad. :(

On live TV? That's awful.
Yeah. You don't see anything but the female reporter running and the camera falling. Then they cut to the news desk lady who's jaw is basically on the floor.
Yeah, and at the end you see the shooter's feet and legs as he walks by. He basically shoots the cameraman from behind first, and the camera goes down, and as it's on the floor the reporter is running away and the shooter is walking towards her firing.

Folks are already analyzing the screen grab of the shooter. You don't get much info, but it's more than zero.

According to this, the cameraman was engaged to a producer at teh station.

Marks said Parker was a graduate of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia, while Ward was a graduate of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Marks and the anchors confirmed on air that Ward's fiancee was a morning producer at the station who was celebrating her last day at work today before starting a new job. Parker reportedly brought in balloons as part of the celebration before going out for the fatal live report.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tv-reporter-cameraman-killed-gunman-opens-fire-virginia/story?id=33327920

According to this, the cameraman was engaged to a producer at teh station.

Marks said Parker was a graduate of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia, while Ward was a graduate of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Marks and the anchors confirmed on air that Ward's fiancee was a morning producer at the station who was celebrating her last day at work today before starting a new job. Parker reportedly brought in balloons as part of the celebration before going out for the fatal live report.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tv-reporter-cameraman-killed-gunman-opens-fire-virginia/story?id=33327920
That's weird. CNN is reporting that it was the reporter's last day before starting a new job.

Jealous boyfriend/scorned lover/jealous guy?
Could be a crazed stalker who is in love with the reporter.
Yeah, looks like cameraman and reporter were both in long-term relationships.

Was the woman being interviewed spared? What did she see? It sounds like they're beefing up security at news stations in the region, which makes it sound like they're not really sure what happened here.
I wondered the same thing re. the lady interviewed. If she was spared, than to me, that indicates 100% that this was about something going on behind the scenes at that station.

Supposed picture of the shooter is floating around now. Not sure if authentic or not.
Link?

ETA Nevermind...LINK

If it's somebody the folks at the station know, that image will be more than enough. If it's a stranger, it might not be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jealous boyfriend/scorned lover/jealous guy?
Could be a crazed stalker who is in love with the reporter.
Yeah, looks like cameraman and reporter were both in long-term relationships.

Was the woman being interviewed spared? What did she see? It sounds like they're beefing up security at news stations in the region, which makes it sound like they're not really sure what happened here.
You are right, Just to clear it up, they were not engaged to each other. He was engaged to someone who worked at the station, and she was dating someone at the station. Her boyfriend just sent a tweet.

Can someone summarize what happened? Thanks
Reporter appears to be doing a basic tourism story at a random strip mall (although it looked like apartments in the background, but I didn't watch a second time). Shot heard, obviously close, as the reporter jumps in surprise. Camera falls to the ground, and you hear the reporter screaming. Then cut back to the news station, and the woman at the desk is agape.

So, so sad.

Can someone summarize what happened? Thanks
Reporter is interviewing a woman for a tourism piece in VA. Suddenly off camera a person opens fire with gun. Cameraman appears to be hit first as cameral drops. You see the reporter and woman being interviewed running and screaming (mostly their legs as camera drops) as gunman continues to fire. Cameraman and reporter dead. Woman being interviewed in hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread