What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best way to sell a car? (1 Viewer)

Rove!

Footballguy
Not doing a trade in

Do you need to just put it in on Craig's list, and show the car to a lot of people, or is there an easier way

Craigslist is pretty easy, assuming you can navigate through the spam and/or jerkoffs that email you once and then you never hear from them again.

Get an estimate/appraisal from Carmax. Then list it on craigslist for $500-$1000 more than the estimate. Wait a day or two, then sell it before the CarMax estimate expires if you can't get the extra $.

If you want to try and get the best deal possible and have time to deal with the trouble, Craigslist.

That said, I listed one older car on Craigslist, and I'll never do it again. I had probably 5 people stand me up for meetings to look at the car, maybe 2-3 who proceed to tell me everything they thought was wrong with it before telling me they weren't going to make an offer (It's a USED car....I KNOW there's a little rust. It's priced accordingly), and another guy who shook hands on a deal and then just vanished after my wife came home early to sign the title.

We ended up selling it to my wife's cousin.

If you're not concerned with squeezing every penny out of it, just go to a few used car places and take the best offer you get.

Agree with Carmaxx. I've sold one car there, another to a dealership who matched Carmaxxs price.

I've had great luck selling two cars for about $6k and $3k on craigslist, both were sold within a week. I'm currently trying to sell a car for $15k on both craigslist and autotrader and it's been difficult, going on my third week with just a single legitimate call. Both carmax and the dealership which we just bought a new car at this weekend were offering about 3500 less than the retail price so we declined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an estimate/appraisal from Carmax. Then list it on craigslist for $500-$1000 more than the estimate. Wait a day or two, then sell it before the CarMax estimate expires if you can't get the extra $.
:goodposting:

This is a pretty good idea...
I'd ask for more than that. I just sold a 2005 Tahoe on Craigslist. Carmax offered $5500. I listed it on Craigslist for $7900, had 3 calls and had it sold for $7200 about 5 hours after listing that ad.

Just sold a vehicle myself. You just need to get it out there as much as possible and be patient. I did CarMax, they offered $6500. A dealership saw the listing on autotrader and they offered $5500. I posted it on Cargurus.com as well as autotrader. I had the for sale sign in it. In the end I sold it through a connection on facebook.

It all depends on how long you want to wait, how much you want out of it, and how much you want to worry about getting paid for it without getting taken for a loss. CarMax was very easy and would probably be very trustable compared to craigslist.

On craigslist, I had someone ask if they could just make monthly payments......um NO.

:goodposting:

This is a pretty good idea...
I'd ask for more than that. I just sold a 2005 Tahoe on Craigslist. Carmax offered $5500. I listed it on Craigslist for $7900, had 3 calls and had it sold for $7200 about 5 hours after listing that ad.
How much over really depends on your market & how quickly you want to sell. I've sold 3 cars to carmax. I have no patience for tirekickers.

How old is the car? If it's a newer used car, then Carmax or Autotrader are solid options. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with going with the Craigslist route. But here are some tips:

1. post as many pictures as possible, showing every aspect of the car. Don't be "that guy" who takes one blurry cameraphone pic and then can't understand why people keep asking him about the condition of the car.

2. inflate your asking price a little bit, but not too much or else potential buyers won't even see your car in the search results.

3. tell the truth about EVERYTHING. Don't hide the fact that the AC needs to be recharged or the tires are bald or whatever. You'll just end up wasting your own time when people suddenly back out of a deal after they find out something that you hadn't disclosed up front. (It also makes people wonder if there's something more significant that you didn't tell them about.)

4. don't say "or best offer" unless you want to be flooded with ridiculous lowball offers from cheapskates and dealers.

5. don't accept any offers before a buyer has seen the car. If your asking price is $11K and someone emails you an offer of $10K and you say "Yes", then they now know that $10K is your new asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to check KBB, NADA & edmunds.com for used car values. Check all 3... there can be a significant difference in values.

Don't forget to check KBB, NADA & edmunds.com for used car values. Check all 3... there can be a significant difference in values.
These are not really as important as what people are actually listing/selling the cars for. I was in the market for an Accord about 3 years ago and it was impossible to find anything listed that was even in the KBB, Edmunds ballpark. Likewise, I sold my old Acura Integra around the same time and sold it for $4500 and I think KBB listed its value at $2500. Took about 2 days to sell the car

These are not really as important as what people are actually listing/selling the cars for. I was in the market for an Accord about 3 years ago and it was impossible to find anything listed that was even in the KBB, Edmunds ballpark. Likewise, I sold my old Acura Integra around the same time and sold it for $4500 and I think KBB listed its value at $2500. Took about 2 days to sell the car
YMMV. Some cars have stupid resale values vs original cost. You can get a used Audi cheaper than a used Subaru of the same year. Cost of maintenance, insurance etc looms large.

YMMV. Some cars have stupid resale values vs original cost. You can get a used Audi cheaper than a used Subaru of the same year. Cost of maintenance, insurance etc looms large.
It's not always the case, but here in the Bay Area where gas prices are high and people commute long distances, reliable and fuel efficient vehicles command a premium. The V6 Accords were less expensive than the 4-cyl despite the V6 being an upgrade on a new Accord. I actually wanted the 4-cyl, but the premium I would pay on the used market steered me to the V6.

When they stopped putting the carpool stickers on the new hybrids, a used Prius was more expensive than a new one.

I need more coffee - the first time I saw the subject header I thought it said "Best way to steal a car?"

-QG

Trade it in. Way easier. Or at least go the carmax route.

If the car breaks, i dont need crazies knowing where my family lives. Not worth the risk.

This is exactly what I did two months ago. I had the carmax appraisal which I think is good for 10 days. I got it right before the 4th of July extended weekend. Posted the car on craigslist Friday night for $1k more than the estimate. Ended up selling it that weekend for $800 more than appraisal.

Agree with Carmaxx. I've sold one car there, another to a dealership who matched Carmaxxs price.
I like both of them but would not recommend Carmaxxx. They'll try to screw you.
You people kill me. They give you a market value offer, take it or leave it. How is that screwing you?
They actually do not give you a market value offer.

They determine the market value, then knock a pre-set percentage off, and offer that to you, take it or leave it.

Carmax has this fairness reputation that they really do not deserve. Its simple because it is no haggle, but that actually costs you more (provide you can haggle the smallest amount anywhere else).

You people kill me. They give you a market value offer, take it or leave it. How is that screwing you?
They actually do not give you a market value offer.

They determine the market value, then knock a pre-set percentage off, and offer that to you, take it or leave it.

Carmax has this fairness reputation that they really do not deserve. Its simple because it is no haggle, but that actually costs you more (provide you can haggle the smallest amount anywhere else).
People flock to them because it's no haggle. They take advantage of a lot of people's discomfort with conflict and negotiating. Brilliant on their end.

They actually do not give you a market value offer.They determine the market value, then knock a pre-set percentage off, and offer that to you, take it or leave it.

do you think they are working for free? They offer a service and a back stop. Do you complain when the bank charges you interest for the money you borrow or the store marks up the cost of the products you buy?

Another advantage of leasing.
I was seriously considering leasing, but the MD excise tax has made me determine that leasing is stupid in MD.

You pay 6% tax on the MSRP of the vehicle when you enter into a lease here. Not the MSRP - residual, the whole thing. And then, if you want to buy the car at the end of the lease... guess what? You pay 6% again on the current book value of the car at that time.

I looked into maybe avoiding this tax by doing a lease swap, but nope, they nail you on that as well. Imagine some poor fool taking over the last 9 months of a lease from someone, going to register @ the DMV, and getting hit with a 6% tax on the value of a 2 year old car for his 9 months of usage.

I have come to the conclusion that the only practical thing to do in Maryland is to buy and hold for as long as you can. Maybe buy a new car every 10 years... or a used every 7 or so. Unless you like setting money on fire.

They actually do not give you a market value offer.They determine the market value, then knock a pre-set percentage off, and offer that to you, take it or leave it.

do you think they are working for free? They offer a service and a back stop. Do you complain when the bank charges you interest for the money you borrow or the store marks up the cost of the products you buy?
Just to clarify, above is not a complaint. It is an observation of what the situation really is.

Market value for a trade in is WELL below what they'll sell it for. That's how they're publicly perceived to be making money. The truth is, they make money that way, but also by paying under market value for your trade in.

Unless you're buying from Carmax and want to use your trade as a tax shield, I wouldn't trade in there. You'll get more from a dealer you're buying a new car from if you're not a rube.

Again, I did the "go to Carmax and get an offer and hold it to see if you can sell for more privately" route. The offer I got was $3k from them, good for 10 days. I listed on craigs list for $4k, and ended up selling it for $3,800.

Now, my private sale went easy - but I had to be sure he was paying in cash, had to list it myself, go to meet with him at a mutually agreed upon location, and work up the "sale document" showing odometer reading, and that the car was "as is" and hope the sale doesn't turn out to be a headache in the end (the guy who bought it could get pissed if he blows the clutch out on his first drive as owner or whatever). I took that risk, and made a few hundred doing it.

Of course, a lot could have been said for dropping the car and the keys and the title off at carmax and getting a check I knew would be good and not having to worry about any of the other stuff.

People flock to them because it's no haggle. They take advantage of a lot of people's discomfort with conflict and negotiating. Brilliant on their end.
Question regarding Carmaxx, so let's say I offer something like $100 less than what they are selling a car for, are they seriously going to pass on that sale because I "haggled" the for $100?

Question regarding Carmaxx, so let's say I offer something like $100 less than what they are selling a car for, are they seriously going to pass on that sale because I "haggled" the for $100?
Yes.

Yes.
Interesting. Okay.

This is good schtick. I'm going to go into Carmax and make offers like $15 under the asking price.

Trade it in. Way easier. Or at least go the carmax route.

If the car breaks, i dont need crazies knowing where my family lives. Not worth the risk.
That's the main reason why I like trading in.
Way back in 2000 (the last time I bought a new car) the dealer told me that Carmax would give me a lot more for my car than he could offer in trade. He said, "Go get an appraisal & call me when you drop your car off with them and I will come can get you so don't have to worry about logistics of picking up your new car".

Carmax gave me $1800 more than the dealer offered. I have since sold 2 more cars to carmax.

I'll be getting a carmax estimate and a dealer estimate in a couple of weeks.

I'll report back how badly they both try to screw me.

I'm selling a 2002 Ford Explorer for $3,200. I just pulled that figure out of my butt. Have no idea if I'll get any offers or not, but it's on CL and also Backpages. Just posted yesterday. Now, we wait.

There was another good thread on this. I posted a few times in it. I sold my last three cars:

Explorer - Went to Carmax got an offer of $8800, held out till the last couple days and got a ping from someone on Autotrader, sold it for $9600

Explorer#2 - Got an offer of $4k from a Toyota dealer, put it on Autotrader and Craigslist, got two immediate calls, sold it to the Autotrader guy for $8k the day after I listed it. No hassles at all, pretty easy to tell both callers were serious. One note, I paid extra to have it showcased and the guy who bought it told me he was looking and it popped up in front of him exactly what he wanted, well worth the additional $50 or so.

Sienna - Got an offer of $8k from the same Toyota dealership. Put it on Craigslist only just to see and save a few bucks. Got one semi-serious come look at the car and not like it (I had to re-clean it, damn 3 boys), but they also "had to get cash from people since they weren't from the area." They were talking about $10k (I listed for $11k). After cleaning it, sold it the next weekend for full price to folks who just totaled their mini-van.

Dealer trade in is crap, maybe Carmax is a bit better, but it isn't hard to sell cars yourself. If you can't deal with people, maybe Carmax works, but honestly just a bit of elbow grease to get the cars looking nice and some pictures and you are good. If after a few weeks you have no bites, then go to Carmax. I got lots of emails and calls and it was very easy to tell who was a buyer. I just ignored any low-ball offers. I'd say most of the calls/emails were serious, but I did have decent cars (first was decent mileage, second and third were pretty loaded with DVD/leather and one Nav).

Another advantage of leasing.
I was seriously considering leasing, but the MD excise tax has made me determine that leasing is stupid in MD.

You pay 6% tax on the MSRP of the vehicle when you enter into a lease here. Not the MSRP - residual, the whole thing. And then, if you want to buy the car at the end of the lease... guess what? You pay 6% again on the current book value of the car at that time.

I looked into maybe avoiding this tax by doing a lease swap, but nope, they nail you on that as well. Imagine some poor fool taking over the last 9 months of a lease from someone, going to register @ the DMV, and getting hit with a 6% tax on the value of a 2 year old car for his 9 months of usage.

I have come to the conclusion that the only practical thing to do in Maryland is to buy and hold for as long as you can. Maybe buy a new car every 10 years... or a used every 7 or so. Unless you like setting money on fire.
Off topic, but I've leased in AZ and currently in KS. We don't pay sales tax on the vehicle at the time of sale, but do pay sales tax on the payment. Our sales tax increased 0.35% on July 1st and it increased my lease payment. If we buy out the vehicle at lease end, I would pay sales tax on that transaction price.

If the vehicle is worth more than the residual, we will buy it out. If not, I'll let it go through auction and try to purchase it from the dealer if the numbers make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread