What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can I get cash from a bank with a cashier's check? (1 Viewer)

SteelCurtain

Footballguy
I have most of my money in an online account.

I do have about $2,000 in a Bank Of America checking account.

If I get a $9,000 bank check from my online bank, can I take it to the local Bank of America and have it given to me in cash?

What are bank policies on this?

TIA

Almost all cheques have a hold unless they are certified, I believe,

Certified cheques cost a percentage of the cheque, or a flat fee, and sometimes included depending on your account.

Even then, a large enough amount may have some held

I am guessing you may have to deposit it, then have it clear.
That's the issue. I need immediate access to the $$.
I'd check with your bank, but the idea of a bank or cashier's check is it is a check from the bank not you. As noted below, there sometimes are limits to what can be cashed immediately, if the limit is less than what you need, go with multiple checks under the amount. Again, just check with the bank for what you need to do.

From Wiki...

Cashier's check (cashier's cheque, banker's cheque, bank cheque, official cheque, teller's cheque, banker's draft or treasurer's cheque) is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds and signed by a cashier.[1] Cashier's checks are treated as guaranteed funds because the bank, rather than the purchaser, is responsible for paying the amount. They are commonly required for real estate and brokerage transactions. A customer asks a bank for a cashier's check, the bank debits the amount from the customer's account immediately, and then the bank assumes the responsibility for covering the cashier's check

In the United States, under Article 3 of the Uniform Commercial Code, a cashier's check is effective as a note of the issuing bank. Also, according to Regulation CC (Reg CC) of the Federal Reserve, cashier's checks are recognized as "guaranteed funds" and amounts under $5,000 are not subject to deposit hold, except in the case of new accounts. The length of a hold varies (2 days to 2 weeks) depending on the bank. It is not clear what length of time may pass before a bank can be held responsible for accepting a bad cashier's check.

Some banks require you to have at least the amount that you are cashing in your own account (to cover a fraudulent check). If you only have $2k in your BOA account, they may not cash a $9K check for you.

Besides the issue with a possible hold, some banks/branches have daily cash limits. Like mentioned earlier, call. Or, better yet, go into the particular branch you'd being transacting in ahead of time and ask.

Keep it under $10,000 (I know you said $9,000). You have to fill out special paperwork if any transaction (deposit or withdrawal) is a penny over $9,999.99.

Ratbert said:
ChiefD said:
Just have your online bank wire the money to your other account.
What THIS guy said
Wiring makes sense. You don't want to be walking around with $9k of cash or bank checks! Sounds like it's for a building contractor of some sort, and they may not want the cash either!

If they won't do a wire, see about making the check out to them. It's as good as cash, and should clear w/i 24 hours or so.

There is zero chance that BOA cashes out a check drawn from another bank. Check their funds availability policy and I would guarantee that it will be a minimum 24 hold if they deposit it as a RegCC and that is your best, non wire outcome.

SteelCurtain said:
I have most of my money in an online account.

I do have about $2,000 in a Bank Of America checking account.

If I get a $9,000 bank check from my online bank, can I take it to the local Bank of America and have it given to me in cash?

What are bank policies on this?

TIA
they will hold unless tou have funds to cover. Congrats on having an oline bank. Next time wire yourself the money in a brick and mortar bank.

i work on the commercial side, but the whole point of the cashiers or bank check is that it is guaranteed. it is obtained from the issuing bank by providing or having the funds taken in exchange for the check. its not like you are writing a magical check that may or may not clear. bring it to a bank where you have a relationship and they should cash it......heck, a cash checking joint will for a fee.

i work on the commercial side, but the whole point of the cashiers or bank check is that it is guaranteed. it is obtained from the issuing bank by providing or having the funds taken in exchange for the check. its not like you are writing a magical check that may or may not clear. bring it to a bank where you have a relationship and they should cash it......heck, a cash checking joint will for a fee.
Except for cashiers check have become part of a particular scheme and can be fraudulent.

Soulfly3 said:
Almost all cheques have a hold unless they are certified, I believe,

Certified cheques cost a percentage of the cheque, or a flat fee, and sometimes included depending on your account.

Even then, a large enough amount may have some held
Cheque out this guy

9k....good luck. With fraud these days either cash, ach or wire.

Tom Hagen said:
Ratbert said:
ChiefD said:
Just have your online bank wire the money to your other account.
What THIS guy said
Wiring makes sense. You don't want to be walking around with $9k of cash or bank checks! Sounds like it's for a building contractor of some sort, and they may not want the cash either!
I have yet to meet a contractor that doesn't prefer cash.
I was going to pay a contractor partially in cash recently and he said I appreciate it but just pay it all by check. I got more cash than I know what to do with.

Users who are viewing this thread