What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are farts funny? (1 Viewer)

Rubi

Footballguy
Why do most people laugh when someone passes gas? Here's the situation,a bunch of very good friends,men and women,are at a gathering. Someone belches and comments heard are, "that's gross","you pig","ewww,disgusting". A bit later someone farts and laughter abounds. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Into my 30s and I still laugh or mentally high five myself after every single fart.

Dunno. It's a fart. feels good to let out... should be celebrated

I think on a primordial level, this is what's in our lizard brains:

• Poop not clean

• I stay away from your poop

• Poop make foul odor

• Go away from me when make poop

• Fart also smell of poop

• Go away from me when make fart

• I try to go away but it slipped

• Oh you got me good

• This poop odor is unpleasant but is not accompanied by actual poop

• You really got me good

• The sound was also amusing

• Seriously, what did you eat?

• I must laugh about this horrible situation

the adrenaline released from the lack of confidence of whether you're about to fart/shart, is as close to death as you can safely get.

My 80 year old mother is a bit deaf, and she farts a lot. I think she believes her farts are silent because she can't hear them. Hearing her putter around in the kitchen like a little motor boat is really funny.

I also make a fart sound to myself whenever I drive by a fat girl wearing yoga pants. I don't know why, but it amuses me.

My 80 year old mother is a bit deaf, and she farts a lot. I think she believes her farts are silent because she can't hear them. Hearing her putter around in the kitchen like a little motor boat is really funny.

I also make a fart sound to myself whenever I drive by a fat girl wearing yoga pants. I don't know why, but it amuses me.
Wtf :lmao:

:lmao:

I do this too but usually precede the fart sound with "Ooops..."

Last night I let out a nasty fart in our car right before getting out after parking it. This morning I got an angry text from my wife because apparently the car still smelled like rotten eggs about 7 hours later.

That's a good example why farts are funny.

Scientifically is it not small pieces of poo entering in others' noses if they smell it?

"Smell is a very direct sense. In order for you to smell something, molecules from that thing have to make it to your nose. Everything you smell, therefore, is giving off molecules -- whether it is bread in the bakery, onions, perfume, a piece of fruit or whatever. Those molecules are generally light, volatile (easy to evaporate) chemicals that float through the air into your nose. A piece of steel has no smell because nothing evaporates from it -- steel is a non-volatile solid."

Scientifically is it not small pieces of poo entering in others' noses if they smell it?

"Smell is a very direct sense. In order for you to smell something, molecules from that thing have to make it to your nose. Everything you smell, therefore, is giving off molecules -- whether it is bread in the bakery, onions, perfume, a piece of fruit or whatever. Those molecules are generally light, volatile (easy to evaporate) chemicals that float through the air into your nose. A piece of steel has no smell because nothing evaporates from it -- steel is a non-volatile solid."
This is excellent,it's a very thoughtful,scientific way to explain why farts smell and what we're smelling. If we could get something like this to explain why farts are funny it would satisfy my original question. Farts. It's also funny to write the word farts. Farts. I laughed every time I wrote it.........................................................................Farts

Farts :lmao:

Because they usually involve either a trumpet sound or a limburger cheese odor emanating from your ######.

say, that reminds me... tilton.

eta: :lmao: dammit... I shouldn't have started watching that- still have work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why. But one of the biggest laughs I've had in my life was while my sister was diapering one of her kids. She'd just put on the baby powder but before she got the diaper on the kid farted and a puff of powder erupted from her butt like a mushroom cloud. :lmao:

Why do most people laugh when someone passes gas? Here's the situation,a bunch of very good friends,men and women,are at a gathering. Someone belches and comments heard are, "that's gross","you pig","ewww,disgusting". A bit later someone farts and laughter abounds. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I have a theory but it's boring and serious so I'm not going to post it.

Aw go ahead. I'm still looking for the answer,because farts are funny(to most people) perhaps a serious and boring theory is the answer!

Aw go ahead. I'm still looking for the answer,because farts are funny(to most people) perhaps a serious and boring theory is the answer!
Bodily noises subconsciously remind us of our impending death and our brain makes us laugh to deal with it.

I hear Chuck Norris is the only individual with the confidence to cut one loose with diarrhea.

I'll never stop laughing at sphinctor sounds... Poop perfume hahahaha colon cologne hahahaha

But for real, one of my best friends from childhood could literally breathe in and out of his butt (suck air in and blow it out on command). Needless to say Subway, Taco Bell, Wendys, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, DQ, Arbys, Skyline, and Bob Evans all were victimized by his talent which resulted in us getting kicked out of a few locations. To this day I'd still laugh myself to oblivion if he got started.

Bodily noises subconsciously remind us of our impending death and our brain makes us laugh to deal with it.
Wow,you weren't kidding. Serious,deep,interesting. Something to ponder....the next time someone farts I'll mention this to see what the response is. :shock:

Because every little fart holds within it the opportunity for visual hilarity, be it the "just lit the filter" look of disgust on the faces of people who smell them, or the embarrassed pinched-cheek waddle of shame to the bathroom employed by those who emit them and realize too late that there is a rocket to go along with the racket.

Taken from a post I made over at TheBeerSpot a while back...

The following is reprinted from a post I made somewhere in 2002, updated for purposes of, well, updating. My best bud dug it up from his email and forwarded it to me.

OK, first, my qualifications as an expert on the subject, my Curriculum Fartae if you will. All statements verifiable:

2008: Repeated and multiple gaseous emissions (genus: lactose intolerance) that were of sufficient physical and sonic volume to cause a coworker to request that I attend a meeting by conference call. The meeting was 40 feet from my desk.

2001: Single fart (genus: beer and barbecue) cleared everyone off my deck, resulting in 20 people standing around thirty feet away as if they were watching a housefire.

1996: Single fart (genus: beer and beefy nachos) resulting in wife threatening divorce after I thought it would be funny to give her the old "Dutch oven" treatment (fart, hold her head under the bed covers).

1989: Falsely and repeatedly accused of flatulence by housemate when the culprit was, in fact, a collapsed cesspool that had filled the basement 3" deep with fecal matter.

1982: Single fart (genus: Matt's beer, Gibble's hot chips, and a large hoagie) clears a two-story house of three human occupants and German shepherd, with one occupant questioning the species of what may have used my rectum as a convenient tomb as he walked past holding his nose and scowling.

OK. Now: The sugars, carbs, and yeast in beer can result in the production of gas, manifesting itself as flatus. The more unfermented matter in the beer, the more likely it is that your farts will carry an odor. My empirical evidence, gathered mostly from having to sit inside a race car hauler with a bunch of guys drinking swill, is that adjuncts also can add to the gas production. Other edibles, such as cabbage, beans, onions, and bananas also can make your intestines gassy.

The rank odors come from the combination of this gas production and anything that you eat that your body doesn't enjoy digesting - for instance, beef and other red meats, being difficult to break down, are prime culprits. This is why your Uncle Stan's house smells like that - five or six beers, a golombki or two, and a nice link of kielbasa results in Aunt Carol spraying Renuzit around and sprinkling Uncle Stan's favorite chair with extra-strength pet deodorizer whenever he gets up to use the can, all the while hollering at him to "crack a damned window." Just pray he doesn't become lactose intolerant, or Muskegon's going to go up like a homesick angel the next time he's near a pilot light.

Speaking of which, much of the gas that is emitted is somewhat flammable. I swear that the only way we survived many long nights playing cards and backgammon and Risk in college was that a lighter was always on the table, ready to burn off the flatus in a rooster tail of flame as soon as someone bent over and hollered "Light me!" Sure, we ended up with a few singed shirts, but it was either that, or suffocate. Too bad that flatulent Dalmatian never stood still long enough. It's also why my friends' wives have a stash of candles on hand for poker night. The flames burn off some of the volatile gases. that circulate through the room after flatus is emitted.

I don't know why. But one of the biggest laughs I've had in my life was while my sister was diapering one of her kids. She'd just put on the baby powder but before she got the diaper on the kid farted and a puff of powder erupted from her butt like a mushroom cloud. :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread