What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Revenant - New Film By Inarittu (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
Based on true story of a wilderness trapper and guide who was left for dead.

Stars DiCaprio and co-starring Tom Hardy.

Shot mostly in Canada with natural light (sounds like Malick's Days Of Heaven).

Opens 12-25.

Last edited by a moderator:
A tough shoot. Cast and crew were miserable in miserable conditions.

That could be an advantage if their genuine misery translates effectively in the finished film. I'm a fan of Inarittu, so I'm hoping for the best.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Bob Magaw said:
Based on true story of a wilderness trapper and guide who was left for dead.
The real story is crazy as hell.
So is the story of the "first" mountain man, Colter's Run, which was the basis of the highly recommended '65 Cornell Wilde film, Naked Prey (Naked and Afraid precursor?), which was transposed to Africa.

Same guy who shot Birdman, Tree of Life, New World...I want to go and see the cinematography as much as anything. I have always enjoyed DiCaprio and feel he is one of the very best. If the story and acting are 75% as good as the camera shots, this move could easily run in at the end and steal a lot of Oscars.

Jamie Foxx has an Oscar, DiCaprio does not. How is that possible?

INteresting.

Big complaint from me: After seeing commercials for it on TV...I had absolutely ZERO clue what it was supposed to be about, other than some sort of story set in the wilderness. Hard to get interested in seeing a movie when the advertisements are so lacking.

INteresting.

Big complaint from me: After seeing commercials for it on TV...I had absolutely ZERO clue what it was supposed to be about, other than some sort of story set in the wilderness. Hard to get interested in seeing a movie when the advertisements are so lacking.
:wall:

INteresting.

I have to disagree. Not a fan at all when trailers show you too much. Thought the first trailer I saw for this awhile back which was just some intense music and scenes from the movie along with seeing who was involved was all I need.

GordonGekko said:
Industry, critic and public perception between an "actor" and a "movie star"
Oscars mean nothing. Foxx is neither an "actor" or a really a movie star.

Don't think The Wire ever got nominated for really anything. Awards mean nothing.

Everything is timing.
Looking at Foxx's IMDB page he has been good in a more than a few movies.

INteresting.

I have to disagree. Not a fan at all when trailers show you too much. Thought the first trailer I saw for this awhile back which was just some intense music and scenes from the movie along with seeing who was involved was all I need.
I agree that I don't want to see too much in the trailers however if you've seen the trailer for this movie you've seen all the highlights..

I think a movie has already been made about this story starring Richard Harris & John Houston. Can't remember the title though. Actually pretty good movie.

I think a movie has already been made about this story starring Richard Harris & John Houston. Can't remember the title though. Actually pretty good movie.
Yep. It is called Man in the Wilderness

ETA: It is pretty good.

I saw the trailer in the theater and was blown away and couldn't wait.... literally. When it hit the filesharing networks I jumped on it and watched by myself shortly after it finished DLing.

Impressions was: Meh :(

I watched it again this weekend with my GF and her buddy and fell asleep after the first hr or so.

It is a good movie, and it will probably win some awards... but it looked like it was going to be pretty incredible and have so many Woooooooow moments... but it was more Uuuuuugh, and eeeeeeew and yaaaaaawn for me.

It'd probably be better on the big screen, but marginally.

GordonGekko said:
INteresting.

Trailers are generally the domain of the studio, who are in charge of the marketing aspect of the film. Generally speaking, the director and actors will have no input in how the trailers are constructed. Sometimes you get a few exceptions like Se7en, where hiding a key actor from the cast list and trailers were integral to holding down the surprise ending to the story.

The only thing that matters about the Revenant trailer is it highlights DiCaprio. Who as a "movie star" in industry terms, is "bankable" That means you are an actor who can draw enough of an audience on your own, your own fanbase, to prop up a movie and get a film generally hard to make/produce get green lit. A situation like this was Antwone Fisher. No one wants to finance the movie or support it's production until Denzel Washingon signs on. This is also why Clint Eastwood is in many of movies he directs that would otherwise not get made. If he's got an All Star cast and a best selling novel to work with, he can make Mystic River and bow out as an actor. He decides he wants to make Grand Torino, he's going to have to infuse his own star power into it.

Denzel is a movie star. Tom Cruise is a movie star. You aren't watching a Denzel movie to see him meld seamlessly into a role, you are watching Denzel turn Mad Max as a post apocalyptic Bible toting killer. You are watching Denzel be a dirty cop. You are watching Tom Cruise fight samurais or fight robots. DiCaprio plays DiCaprio in every movie.

Tom Cruise = Movie Star

Leo DiCaprio = Movie Star

Daniel Day Lewis = Actor

Angelina Jolie = Movie Star

Meryl Streep = Actor

In a Hollywood career, you come to a crossroads. There's a reason you don't see Anna Kendrick in a horror/slasher movie, a teen rom com, any real formula rom com or the new Star Wars. She wants to be an "actor"

Eddie Redmayne was just in a movie where he's wearing a dress. DiCaprio would never do that. He stays in big budget blockbusters held strong by established directors and generally mainstream friendly projects. Hence Redmayne will likely win an award long before Leo will.
Most mainstream Hollywood Actors make big budget films to get their art projects with far less fanfare made. You might be surprised when you look up certain actors and they have films you either never saw or weren't even aware of.

And one of the other reasons Clint Eastwood gets a lot of films made is he wraps them up and shoots quickly, doesn't waste the studios money. He comes in under bugdet and on time almost every time. That's what I heard from the casting folks at Paramount Pictures.

GordonGekko said:
Industry, critic and public perception between an "actor" and a "movie star"
Oscars mean nothing. Foxx is neither an "actor" or a really a movie star. Don't think The Wire ever got nominated for really anything. Awards mean nothing.

Everything is timing.
Wathttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/awards?ref_=tt_ql_4
You got me. They got two whole emmy nominations for writing. In an era where every year the lack of diversity in the industry is a big story.

GordonGekko said:
Most mainstream Hollywood Actors make big budget films to get their art projects with far less fanfare made.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138

Show me where these art house "little films" are for DiCaprio? When he was young doesn't count, he was making his bones and working his way up the ladder.

Big name directors. Big budgets. All Star casts. Marketable movies. Sorry there's no Robin Williams doing Good Will Hunting type projects in this mix.

Don't think it's all that complicated.

No financing = No movie

The more a proposed script/movie idea/theme bucks basis Hollywood trends and how movies are marketed, the less likely it will get made. Joss Whedon came clean from the start, Firefly was a sci fi western, combining two genres that have historically struggled to survive/succeed on TV, and acknowledging he was trying it with an ensemble cast with no true lock down star power.

DiCaprio joins a project, like a Will Smith or Tom Cruise, the financing is more likely to come together for the film. The investors are relying on the star "wattage" of a Will Smith or Tom Cruise to carry their fanbases into interest for the movie, even if the subject matter would not normally garner a huge audience. Cruise made money with Jack Reacher. That's a tough thing to do for most guys in Hollywood, but that's the true star power of being a consistent money maker for decades.

I didn't make the rules of the industry, this is just how it works.

DiCaprio wants an Oscar? Be in a Holocaust movie. Player a guy who only has a right foot working. Be a black butler. Be a black driver for an old nagging lady. Go Special Ed and have a feel good story. Play a conflicted gay guy that is not ambigious ( Hoover doesn't count, not even close). Marry a Jew girl in real life or embrace the most hard core Jewish elements in Hollywood. Spielberg got tired of being a popcorn only type director, even if he was the biggest on the block, so he made Schindlers List. Is anyone surprised that it was an Academy friendly movie?
Some of you with pretend insider skills are annoying.

I didn't say Leo specifically but Brad Pitt and George Clooney do it all the time. A lot of the Clooney films that are not Ocean's 11 are done on the cheap. He has had a lot of smaller films, Pitt and his slave project last year, that gets green lighted because he does WWZ and I heard there will be others in that series.

Don't talk to me like I don't know how the industry works. I moved to SoCal in 2000 and lived in West Hollywood/Santa Monica for 7 years largely to study film and see if I could find an avenue in. I studied at the Beverly Hills Playhouse in 2001 and am lucky to have met a lot of people. I shot plenty of things while there and have a few stories for another time. For me I had a difficult time standing around sets and waiting...it gets boring and then you have to keep yourself lively because 10 hours later they are finally ready to shoot and you are expected to just be in character on a dime. And I think that is why I have the respect I do for many of the actors.

I'm not gonna go back and forth, I acknowledge that projects can and do green lighted because a big name actor is hired. Most of the big actors want their indie film so they can grab an Oscar. Not a lot of actors walk the stage that are cast in only mainstream films. Most best actor awards do not go to the person whose film did $300 Million at the box office.

I watched it again this weekend with my GF and her buddy and fell asleep after the first hr or so.
This reminds of a song . . .

Now Im falling asleep

And shes calling a cab

While hes having a smoke

And shes taking a drag

Now theyre going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And its all in my head

But shes touching his chest

Now, he takes off her dress

Now, letting me go

And I just cant look - it's killing me

And taking control

This reminds of a song . . .Now Im falling asleep

And shes calling a cab

While hes having a smoke

And shes taking a drag

Now theyre going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And its all in my head

Now, letting me go

And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea

GordonGekko said:
Most mainstream Hollywood Actors make big budget films to get their art projects with far less fanfare made.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138Show me where these art house "little films" are for DiCaprio? When he was young doesn't count, he was making his bones and working his way up the ladder.

Big name directors. Big budgets. All Star casts. Marketable movies. Sorry there's no Robin Williams doing Good Will Hunting type projects in this mix.

No financing = No movie

The more a proposed script/movie idea/theme bucks basis Hollywood trends and how movies are marketed, the less likely it will get made. Joss Whedon came clean from the start, Firefly was a sci fi western, combining two genres that have historically struggled to survive/succeed on TV, and acknowledging he was trying it with an ensemble cast with no true lock down star power.

DiCaprio joins a project, like a Will Smith or Tom Cruise, the financing is more likely to come together for the film. The investors are relying on the star "wattage" of a Will Smith or Tom Cruise to carry their fanbases into interest for the movie, even if the subject matter would not normally garner a huge audience. Cruise made money with Jack Reacher. That's a tough thing to do for most guys in Hollywood, but that's the true star power of being a consistent money maker for decades.

DiCaprio wants an Oscar? Be in a Holocaust movie. Player a guy who only has a right foot working. Be a black butler. Be a black driver for an old nagging lady. Go Special Ed and have a feel good story. Play a conflicted gay guy that is not ambigious ( Hoover doesn't count, not even close). Marry a Jew girl in real life or embrace the most hard core Jewish elements in Hollywood. Spielberg got tired of being a popcorn only type director, even if he was the biggest on the block, so he made Schindlers List. Is anyone surprised that it was an Academy friendly movie?
Some of you with pretend insider skills are annoying. I didn't say Leo specifically but Brad Pitt and George Clooney do it all the time. A lot of the Clooney films that are not Ocean's 11 are done on the cheap. He has had a lot of smaller films, Pitt and his slave project last year, that gets green lighted because he does WWZ and I heard there will be others in that series.

Don't talk to me like I don't know how the industry works. I moved to SoCal in 2000 and lived in West Hollywood/Santa Monica for 7 years largely to study film and see if I could find an avenue in. I studied at the Beverly Hills Playhouse in 2001 and am lucky to have met a lot of people. I shot plenty of things while there and have a few stories for another time. For me I had a difficult time standing around sets and waiting...it gets boring and then you have to keep yourself lively because 10 hours later they are finally ready to shoot and you are expected to just be in character on a dime. And I think that is why I have the respect I do for many of the actors.

I'm not gonna go back and forth, I acknowledge that projects can and do green lighted because a big name actor is hired. Most of the big actors want their indie film so they can grab an Oscar. Not a lot of actors walk the stage that are cast in only mainstream films. Most best actor awards do not go to the person whose film did $300 Million at the box office.
Oh s t f u

I just finished it. Pretty good if you ff it through every scene without dialog. Waaaayyyyy tttoooooo llllooooonnnngggggg.

This reminds of a song . . .

Now Im falling asleep

And shes calling a cab

While hes having a smoke

And shes taking a drag

Now theyre going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And its all in my head

Now, letting me go

And taking control
Her buddy has giant knockers

Not going to read through all the movie snob posts, makes me want to vomit.

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. Plenty of action, great scenes. Didn't mind the lack of dialog that some have complained about, it's as big of a situational movie as there can be which is the point.

My only grip were the dream/hallucination scenes. I get maybe one dream sequence when infected in the sweat lodge, but, not every time he turns around a corner.

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. Plenty of action, great scenes. Didn't mind the lack of dialog that some have complained about, it's as big of a situational movie as there can be which is the point.

My only grip were the dream/hallucination scenes. I get maybe one dream sequence when infected in the sweat lodge, but, not every time he turns around a corner.
Snob

tonydead said:

Los Angeles or New York?

I was really interested on the first teaser. Figured this was Leo going for his Oscar. A little less interested after the actual trailer as it gives away the whole plot.

GordonGekko said:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138Show me where these art house "little films" are for DiCaprio? When he was young doesn't count, he was making his bones and working his way up the ladder.

No financing = No movie

Some of you with pretend insider skills are annoying. I didn't say Leo specifically but Brad Pitt and George Clooney do it all the time. A lot of the Clooney films that are not Ocean's 11 are done on the cheap. He has had a lot of smaller films, Pitt and his slave project last year, that gets green lighted because he does WWZ and I heard there will be others in that series.

As Jonah hill said about James Franco philosophy, "one for them, five for nobody."

Thought this was going to be a lot better. Too long....worth seeing just for the opening and bear scene though. Otherwise, meh.

Users who are viewing this thread