What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Cities running on 100% Renewable Energy (1 Viewer)

Uh, you can get great gravy fries in Burlington.

Yeah, and dark meat turkey to go with it.

At Nectar's.

No, I kid not. At Nectar's. It's quite ####### grand, even for a punk rocker like myself. Localities are the spice of life, no?

FEDERALISMA! BASTERDZ!

Yes, I'm about to get tendentious and boring.

In most European nations, the initial movements of power resided with the upper echelons of society and passed gradually and always in a partial manner to the other sections of society. By contrast, in America we can state that the organization of the township preceded that of the county, the county that of the state, the state that of the Union - de Tocqueville

Is nuclear energy considered renewable right now for this poll or not? I'm thinking no or the list would be much larger I would think

California is at 26% with a goal of 50% by 2030:

“It wasn’t too many years ago that our electric utilities said they could not get to 20 percent renewable electricity,” Brown told a meeting hosted by the California Independent System Operator, which oversees the state’s power grid. “Well, this month it’s been over 26 percent. They said they couldn’t get there by 2020. Now, they’re all saying — all the major privately owned utilities — they can get to 50 percent by 2030.”

Link

The safe alternative, thorium, is as common as lead.
Can we stop with this nonsense?  It's been uttered for several years now and it's not happening.  If it didn't happen when uranium was $136 per pound, why would it happen when uranium is $25 per pound 10 years later?  Uranium is incredibly common too.  We are in NO danger of running out.  Not in our lifetime, not in your kids lifetime, not in their kids' kids lifetime.  By then, we might be all in on renewables.  But I assure you, nuclear power will never be fed by thorium.

Can we stop with this nonsense?  It's been uttered for several years now and it's not happening.  If it didn't happen when uranium was $136 per pound, why would it happen when uranium is $25 per pound 10 years later?  Uranium is incredibly common too.  We are in NO danger of running out.  Not in our lifetime, not in your kids lifetime, not in their kids' kids lifetime.  By then, we might be all in on renewables.  But I assure you, nuclear power will never be fed by thorium.
We will be fusing atoms of hydrogen before any of these resources run out. Then we are off to a new planet.

I wonder how they figure that a town is on 100% renewable energy. Are the towns not connected too the electrical grid?

Wind and solar projects growing rapidly. Making the complete crossover to renewables isn't happening anytime soon, but we are getting closer to an inflection point, IMO. 
I have nothing against solar or wind power, but until storage/battery technology gets to where it needs to be they are going to remain somewhat niche sources of energy. And even then, they are far from suitable for all areas. I live in the PNW, solar will never be a huge component of our energy production West of the Cascades. We just don't get enough sun. Nor is it very windy.

Fortunately, we do have abundant hydro power here, which is a renewable in its own right.

Fwiw...I am in the market for a new air conditioning/heating system.  Geothermal is $2k less than the conventional systems I've been quoted.  

It hasn't happened because there is a lot of expensive research involved, much of which China is currently doing.  One does not simply say "I want to built a thorium reactor" and start construction the next day.  The price and supply of uranium has little to with anything - the big issue is safety concerns.  That is why it's next to impossible (outside of the South) to get a nuclear power plant built and there are more nuclear plants being decommissioned than built.  Trying to make uranium reactors safe is a ridiculously expensive process.  The first nuclear plant in 20 years was commissioned in 2015 (Watts Bar 2) and 4 more are scheduled to be built in 2019/2020.  When those 5 go online they would just match the 5 that were decommissioned over the past decade.  35 reactors are over 40 years and headed towards decommissioning.

Most US plants have overrun their construction costs substantially and have taken years longer to come online than the industry proposals initially estimated. In fact, Clinton’s final construction cost of $4.25 billion ($8.85 billion today) ran nearly 1,000% over the original budget of $430 million, and the plant was completed seven years behind schedule. The meltdowns at Fukushima in 2011 and subsequent safety retrofits worldwide have also impacted the bottom line.

Overall, says the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, five American plants have been shut down in the past decade. These include Entergy’s 40+ year veteran Vermont Yankee plant. A total of 19 US nuclear reactors on the east, Gulf, and west coastal and Great Lakes areas are decommissioning. (See the full list and map here.) About 25% of US reactors have been reported to have operating expenses that render them cost-ineffective and noncompetitive at current rates for electric generation.

Recently, the Kewaunee and Crystal River reactors have closed. By 2020, Fort Calhoun, Fitzpatrick, Clinton, Quad Cities, Oyster Creek, and Pilgrim will soon be on the chopping block. Within the next decade, the US could lose several more reactors. Diablo Canyon, Indian Point, Ginna, FitzPatrick, Three Mile Island, Davis Besse, and Pilgrim all have pressing issues.
As for thorium never being used in a nuclear plant, China plans to have a liquid fuel plant operational by 2035.

It hasn't happened because there is a lot of expensive research involved, much of which China is currently doing.  One does not simply say "I want to built a thorium reactor" and start construction the next day.  The price and supply of uranium has little to with anything - the big issue is safety concerns.  That is why it's next to impossible (outside of the South) to get a nuclear power plant built and there are more nuclear plants being decommissioned than built.  Trying to make uranium reactors safe is a ridiculously expensive process.  The first nuclear plant in 20 years was commissioned in 2015 (Watts Bar 2) and 4 more are scheduled to be built in 2019/2020.  When those 5 go online they would just match the 5 that were decommissioned over the past decade.  35 reactors are over 40 years and headed towards decommissioning.

As for thorium never being used in a nuclear plant, China plans to have a liquid fuel plant operational by 2035.
Lol at 'China plans' anything 20 years from now. 

Lol at 'China plans' anything 20 years from now. 
We can argue whether they by then, but doubters sound like the people mocking hydrogen by saying "hydrogen is the energy of the future...and always will be!".  Yet here we are with Japan making huge moves with hydrogen, building hydrogen cars and infrastructure (double the number of fueling stations from 80 to 160 by 2020).  A report just came out that estimated 20 million fuel cells vehicles will be on the road by 2032.

Users who are viewing this thread