What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jake Ryan (1 Viewer)

Hope so but Capers has not started a rookie I don't believe before. They do have 2 LB'ers on the practice squad plus Palmer but are thin at ILB.

Barrington is done of th eyear but I wouldn't saybig thumbs up. I would look to add him though but I would hold off starting him until he proves he will be on the field for most of the snaps.

Ryan played well to, I love guys that hustle and I been hoping this guy would get a shot all year. Maybe now is the time.

cant watch this since I am at work but may shed some light...

Jake Ryan talks extended playing time

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Jake-Ryan-talks-extended-playing-time/3ab1ff80-fb16-426e-87a9-78c9c7afba5a
It doesn't, but the kid is intelligent, you can tell just by listening to him. He just talks about watching film to see how he can get better, no mention of continued time. :(
No talk yet but when they look at game tape will talk more about it. Can't see them starting Palmer long term or even now. Always thought Palmer was just a place holder for Ryan.

During the pre season they talked up Ryan's ability to make the play calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what Capers said yesterday

• (On Jake Ryan) This is the most extensive Jake has played. I thought he did some good things. We'll look at what the Lions do and what kind of play time he'll have. He's a young guy. I thought Randall had another good game. You've seen him make two big plays. He had a lot of man-to-man coverage.

He's good, but a guy in my tackle heavy/ppr league wants Ameer for him straight up. Crazy.

Let the hype begin.

Rookie inside linebacker Jake Ryan was one of the few bright spots for the Green Bay Packers in their 37-29 loss Sunday to the Carolina Panthers.

Ryan was one of only five Packers defensive players to earn a positive PFF grade (+2.6 overall, +1.9 vs. the run) against the Panthers. The others were Nick Perry (+2.9), Morgan Burnett (+2.7), Mike Daniels (+1.8) and Casey Hayward (+1.6).

Ryan replaced Nate Palmer in the defensive lineup with 4:47 remaining in the first half and had far more snaps (39-22) for the game. Of those 39, 19 were defending against the run, 17 were in pass coverage and three were rushing the passer.

Ryan had five solo tackles (second only to Burnett's six), a team-high four assists and three "stops" (tackles that resulted in offensive failures). Ryan made a touchdown-saving tackle on a red-zone run by the Panthers' Jonathan Stewart in the third quarter, but it was unblocked and he got an assist from cornerback Casey Hayward. His shoestring tackle of a scrambling Cam Newton short of the sticks on a third-down play came with an assist from Julius Peppers (and the replay booth).

Ryan has yet to miss a defensive tackle on 10 attempts (compared to six missed tackles in 13 attempts by fellow rookie linebacker Joe Thomas).

Ryan also remains a key contributor on special teams. On the kickoff coverage unit, Ryan consistently has lined up on either side of kicker Mason Crosby and has three tackles/assists in 35 snaps. On the punt coverage team, Ryan has 24 snaps at the left tackle position, charged with protecting the punter and then getting downfield to cover the punt. He has two tackles.

For kickoff returns, Ryan has 35 snaps at the left front wall positions, setting up blocking for the Packers' returner. On punt returns, he has 21 snaps lined up on the right side of the defensive line, either rushing the punter or holding up the opponent's coverage players.

Rookie inside linebacker Jake Ryan was one of the few bright spots for the Green Bay Packers in their 37-29 loss Sunday to the Carolina Panthers.

Ryan was one of only five Packers defensive players to earn a positive PFF grade (+2.6 overall, +1.9 vs. the run) against the Panthers. The others were Nick Perry (+2.9), Morgan Burnett (+2.7), Mike Daniels (+1.8) and Casey Hayward (+1.6).

Ryan replaced Nate Palmer in the defensive lineup with 4:47 remaining in the first half and had far more snaps (39-22) for the game. Of those 39, 19 were defending against the run, 17 were in pass coverage and three were rushing the passer.

Ryan had five solo tackles (second only to Burnett's six), a team-high four assists and three "stops" (tackles that resulted in offensive failures). Ryan made a touchdown-saving tackle on a red-zone run by the Panthers' Jonathan Stewart in the third quarter, but it was unblocked and he got an assist from cornerback Casey Hayward. His shoestring tackle of a scrambling Cam Newton short of the sticks on a third-down play came with an assist from Julius Peppers (and the replay booth).

Ryan has yet to miss a defensive tackle on 10 attempts (compared to six missed tackles in 13 attempts by fellow rookie linebacker Joe Thomas).

Ryan also remains a key contributor on special teams. On the kickoff coverage unit, Ryan consistently has lined up on either side of kicker Mason Crosby and has three tackles/assists in 35 snaps. On the punt coverage team, Ryan has 24 snaps at the left tackle position, charged with protecting the punter and then getting downfield to cover the punt. He has two tackles.

For kickoff returns, Ryan has 35 snaps at the left front wall positions, setting up blocking for the Packers' returner. On punt returns, he has 21 snaps lined up on the right side of the defensive line, either rushing the punter or holding up the opponent's coverage players.
Admittedly, this is all good stuff. But I think we also need to remember that diagnosis and tackling/run stuffing were the strong parts of his game. It was the coverage skills that placed him in the 4th round. The Carolina game set up perfectly for him because he played a team that runs a lot and was in the lead the entire game. That always sets up good for idp numbers.

Not trying to throw cold water on this guy. Just saying that everything set up for him this past week. I still think he is going to be good, but not 10 tackle per week good imho. Especially if Green Bay gets a lead and they use him at both the ILB and OLB position since Green Bay is often in the lead and Capers likes to mix and match his 3-4 LB's throughout the game.

Admittedly, this is all good stuff. But I think we also need to remember that diagnosis and tackling/run stuffing were the strong parts of his game. It was the coverage skills that placed him in the 4th round. The Carolina game set up perfectly for him because he played a team that runs a lot and was in the lead the entire game. That always sets up good for idp numbers.

Not trying to throw cold water on this guy. Just saying that everything set up for him this past week. I still think he is going to be good, but not 10 tackle per week good imho. Especially if Green Bay gets a lead and they use him at both the ILB and OLB position since Green Bay is often in the lead and Capers likes to mix and match his 3-4 LB's throughout the game.
True, but I like him not missing tackles. This team is famous for missing them and broken coverages in the secondary. I wish they would draft a stud ILB but they try and fit late round picks in there.

If Ryan can hold up as well as Barrington it would free up Matthews to play outside more.

It's a good start.

He defended 19 runs and 17 passes, sounds like a pretty even split to me. The tackle on Stewart on that run to the post I thought he showed very good speed/hustle to beat him to the goaline and keep him out.

Also agree on the no matter seed tackles. I also like that the kid is a study of the game learning opponents tendencies, just because a player is not a first round pick doesn't mean once in the NFL they can't play like one. I have been watching football for 40 years and rarely ever can a LB actually cover any offensive player well for long or consistently. Ryan Shazier is a great example, read his thread, this is a LB with 4.4 speed and all you read is how he can't cover anyone and he was a 1st round pick.

It's a good point PJ's but one I personally sorta stop holding against players because the matchup will be the key, put any LBer in the NFL on Ameer and they will get burned or a guy like Lewis, put them on a slow TE and they will at least have a chance to cover them.

As a Packers fan I am just trying to find something defensively to be a little happy about and watching Ryan play gave me a little glimmer of a happiness. :)

He defended 19 runs and 17 passes, sounds like a pretty even split to me. The tackle on Stewart on that run to the post I thought he showed very good speed/hustle to beat him to the goaline and keep him out.

Also agree on the no matter seed tackles. I also like that the kid is a study of the game learning opponents tendencies, just because a player is not a first round pick doesn't mean once in the NFL they can't play like one. I have been watching football for 40 years and rarely ever can a LB actually cover any offensive player well for long or consistently. Ryan Shazier is a great example, read his thread, this is a LB with 4.4 speed and all you read is how he can't cover anyone and he was a 1st round pick.

It's a good point PJ's but one I personally sorta stop holding against players because the matchup will be the key, put any LBer in the NFL on Ameer and they will get burned or a guy like Lewis, put them on a slow TE and they will at least have a chance to cover them.

As a Packers fan I am just trying to find something defensively to be a little happy about and watching Ryan play gave me a little glimmer of a happiness. :)
No. I like him and have read similar things. I think he is a very nice prospect. He could be the answer there.

Appreciate the statistics breakdown and agree with your thoughts on ability to cover. It starts up front, or else, even the best will lose to an offensive guy who knows where they are going. I guess I am just tapping the breaks a bit, but don't think that means I think he is a bust or anything close. I am buying wherever the pice is reasonable.

from John Norton's EOTG

GREEN BAY PACKERSJake Ryan had a solid stat line of 6-4-0 in week nine but we should not be too excited about it just yet. The good news is he made a solid impression in his first significant action. The bad news is he played just over 50% of the defensive snaps. The Packers are looking for a solid every down inside linebacker. Many expected Ryan to be that guy long before now. Dynasty owners may want to go ahead and stash him just in case but we should not plug him into our lineups unless it is a desperate situation.

He has been on and off my rosters all season. Sadly missed out when it was really time to pick him up last week.

Havent heard anything new on him yet this week. I do remember in pre-season they praised him for his ability to call plays and handle the position.

Capers and McCarthy threw some cold water on Jake Ryan's future playing time. They said he will be used based on match ups. Hopefully it is coach speak. But by no means has he earned an every down role yet.

discountdoublecheck said:
Capers and McCarthy threw some cold water on Jake Ryan's future playing time. They said he will be used based on match ups. Hopefully it is coach speak. But by no means has he earned an every down role yet.
Yes but has Palmer? Next to what they have at ILB he probably has. Not sure why they were mum about about this all week but it probably is coach speak.

Joe Thomas is all they have besides those two. Like John Norton said though don't start him unless you're desperate.

Did Ryan even see the field?

HTF do some of these analysts have a job?

"Ryan replaced an ineffective Nate Palmer in the first half of Sunday's loss and made a number of plays in the first extended action of his professional career. His Week 9 showing should earn him more snaps moving forward, and could even earn him a starting job."

0 FP...don't have snap count data to see if he played at all, but doesn't look like he was anywhere in the gameplan. Disappointing.

tfreiboth said:
Did Ryan even see the field?

HTF do some of these analysts have a job?

"Ryan replaced an ineffective Nate Palmer in the first half of Sunday's loss and made a number of plays in the first extended action of his professional career. His Week 9 showing should earn him more snaps moving forward, and could even earn him a starting job."
Funny. I'll one up you in case you haven't read this entire thread.

While he is no prize lately himself, I had a dynasty owner tell me he wouldn't part with Ryan unless I traded him straight up for Ameer Abdullah. I courteously told him I didn't think he was being very fair in our trade discussions. :shrug:

I think he will be the starter going forward. He missed one tackle badly on Riddick I think, but Matthews and a DB were there to clean it up. That was really the only play I thought he messed up, I am sure the coaches will find a lot more. I liked hearing the announcers saying how Capers and McCarthy talked him up and that he earned the start, that's what makes me think he will continue to start and he played a really good game. I do have him in one of my dynasty leagues but to be honest I am more excited as a Packers fan to have him playing, I think he immediately improves our defense.

Users who are viewing this thread