What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting at Umpqua Comm College - 10 dead, 7 injured (1 Viewer)

scottybo

Footballguy
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html?sr=fb100115oregon0620PMStory&linkId=17515435

(CNN)Authorities were "responding to reports of an active shooter" Thursday morning at the campus of Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, a sheriff's spokesman said.

"There is a situation going on out there but we don't have any more information at this time," said Douglas County Sheriff's Office spokesman Dwes Hutson.

It was not immediately clear whether anyone had been hurt or killed.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 5m5 minutes ago

Police: Preliminary reports indicate 10 killed, 20 others injured in shooting at Oregon's Umpqua Community College. http://cnn.it/1iORuBk

Last edited by a moderator:
Roseburg is a small little rural town. Massive dudes on their HS football team, I remember.

Man this just pisses me off. :(

Get the shooter alive, I'd much rather the POS rot in jail until death, then they can rot in hell.

The reports suggest the shooter has been detained, he said.
Torture this piece of garbage.

These shooting seem to be increasing in frequency. If the rise in frequency continues, how soon until it starts getting truly unsafe to go to public venues? 10, 20 years?

Not sure if this is an update to earlier info: "11 more have been transported, 2 of those deceased, 1 lifeflighted and 2 waiting to be lifeflighted." - scanner traffic.

These shooting seem to be increasing in frequency. If the rise in frequency continues, how soon until it starts getting truly unsafe to go to public venues? 10, 20 years?
How unsafe do you feel driving to and from work? Now compare traffic fatality stats with those of people shot in public places.

Douglas County Commissioner Chris Boice told CNN that the shooter is in custody. It was not immediately clear whether the shooter was injured.

JFC. Prayers for the victims and their families.

I'm wondering if this country is really a safe place to raise my kid. I think our society has reached the point of no return.

How unsafe do you feel driving to and from work? Now compare traffic fatality stats with those of people shot in public places.
Traffic fatalities are often wholly or partially the fault of the victim. To make the comparison work you'd have to isolate the number of traffic fatalities where the victim was driving safely and attentively.

JFC. Prayers for the victims and their families.

I'm wondering if this country is really a safe place to raise my kid. I think our society has reached the point of no return.
99.99% of people are good. 99.99% of people are horrified by stuff like this. We can't let this evil #### defeat us.

People really need to stop using this comparison. First of all there is acknowledgment of danger when you enter a motor vehicle but the risk is acceptable. Second, if you drive carefully you can control your risk to a certain extent. There's nothing these folks could have done to control the inherent risk.

Listen, there are a lot of people and this stuff has gone on forever, it's just now the liberal media makes a big story out of it. Reforming gun laws doesn't help anything.

People really need to stop using this comparison. First of all there is acknowledgment of danger when you enter a motor vehicle but the risk is acceptable. Second, if you drive carefully you can control your risk to a certain extent. There's nothing these folks could have done to control the inherent risk.
Yes, you can control your risk to a certain extent. I'd be willing to bet way more people are killed who are "controlling their risk to a certain extent" than are killed in acts of violence in public venues. Give me a break.

ETA: For the record, I hate guns and I think it's absurd that they are still legal at all, let alone in the ludicrous forms some are. Just saying this fear of going into public places is extremely paranoid in light of the statistics.

Yes, you can control your risk to a certain extent. I'd be willing to bet way more people are killed who are "controlling their risk to a certain extent" than are killed in acts of violence in public venues. Give me a break.
What's your point here?

Just so sad. Lots of comments I could make but it would be pointless - T&Ps to the victims and their families.

What's your point here?
That talk of "too unsafe to go into public places" is an extreme level of paranoia.

JD's question assumed a continued rise in frequency in these sorts of incidents. He was clear as day about that. You ignored that in your response.

By the way the number of deaths by firearm vs vehicle aren't as far off as you'd think. Around 33,000 deaths by auto crash and 11,000 by gun homicide in 2013. Who knows how close it is when you remove deaths where the deceased was driving while impaired or texting while driving or driving at > 100 MPH and so on.

I agree...

But in reality there are things that educational institutions can do to lessen the number of casualties in the event of an armed intruder.

I agree...

But in reality there are things that educational institutions can do to lessen the number of casualties in the event of an armed intruder.
Like?

Listen, there are a lot of people and this stuff has gone on forever, it's just now the liberal media makes a big story out of it. Reforming gun laws doesn't help anything.
Abe. Really? Tell this to the families of all those who have lost members in mass shootings. I'm fairly certain that they think it a pretty big story without that big bad liberal media's "spin" on it.

How do you guys feel about blaming the meds? I look at the meds as a prime reason why this stuff is happening with more frequency. So far in almost every case, the shooter was a heavily medicated nutjob. Does Big-Pharma bear any responsibility?

Users who are viewing this thread