What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren McFadden's role going forward? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
I was just about to drop Darren McFadden before last weeks game and at the moment I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

With Joseph Randle seemingly in the Cowboy's doghouse for the second half of last weeks game and Lance Dunbar's out for the season with a torn acl , it looks like Darren Mcfadden may have a chance to make some noise for the Cowboys.

To me Joseph Randle is not much, if any better than McFadden. Randle may be a bit more explosive, but McFadden seems to have other intangibles that Randle doesn't possess like being a better pass protector/ picks up the blitz easier, doesn't put the ball on the ground at the goal line etc,

I think it's very possible there is a changing of the guard in the Dallas backfield this week and DMC is the main beneficiary. At the very least he will see more touches given Dunbar's injury.

P.S. Yes I know that Christine Michael is waiting in the wings, but I think DMC is given the first shot if Randle ends up in the doghouse full-time. He's worth a lottery ticket if he is still on the ww.

Of the 3, to me McFadden is the best suited for the 3rd down role ... he is a decent receiver out of the backfield and has the best top end speed in the open field. Don't know if that would be his primary role or he will get the opportunities to be the 1st and 2nd down RB too.

I think DMC 3 years ago would have this spot locked up. He's done nothing to take the role on his possessions so far and CM is way younger and more talented. If DMC can't get passed Randle I don't see him holding off CM.

Also I'm surprised DMC hasn't injured himself getting off the bus yet

Last edited by a moderator:
That may be, but for all the talk about CM what has he done? True, he's a freak athlete, but will it transfer onto the football field? CM may very well get the job in the long run, but I think DMC gets first shot at it starting this week.

His role is to get the ball and roll two yards forward IMO. Occasionally he may break one for four yards.

A lot of ifs here, but I think unless Dallas decides to really shake it up and just start CMike and feed him carries to see what they have, AND CMike explodes with that opportunity, I think Dunbar's injury means the following:

1) It's already a timeshare between Randle and McFadden, and will continue to be unless Randle can't get out of the doghouse

2) McFadden will still get carries but will become the defacto passing down back and get more receiving opportunities, making him the best RB to have for now.

3) A lot of the wheel and screen routes Dunbar excelled at will also be turned into shorter and underneath routes for Witten and the slot WR (Beasely), so while McFadden gets a tangible bump, he won't pick up all the receptions that went to Dunbar

I have Randle, and would prefer to own McFadden right now.

the whole situation is going to continue to be B.A.D. until such time as the Dallas O-Line decides to start playing and blocking as a cohesive unit. At minimum 60% of the time they are having 1 or 2 of the lineman miss assignments. Watch a game, no one will succeed in that backfield with Weeden under center, poor O-line assignments/scheme, and even poorer playcalling from Linehan. Oh, and not to mention Garrett getting his panties completely in a twist about a RB that scored the TD on the first (I think of the year) time Linehan actually called a run play from 1st and Goal from the 1. I was actually shocked the 'pokes didn't pass-pass-pass-FG that possession.

If I could get any value out of any of them I would. Been trying off-and-on since week 1. But plugging Randle / Dunbar in sparingly has been worth more to my roster(s) than giving them away.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Darren McFadden is expected to replace Lance Dunbar (torn ACL) on passing downs.
That's a high volume role these days with Dez Bryant (foot) out and Brandon Weeden reluctant to stretch the field vertically. It also means McFadden will stay on the field if the Cowboys need to air it out late in games, which has been the case the last couple weeks. Joseph Randle will continue to see most of the Cowboys' early-down work with Christine Michael getting a few carries here and there.

I'm starting him this week in ppr with ivory on a bye....I'm not excited, but he could have a nice day in the passing game.

Cut him in 12 team dynasty weeks ago. Has not been picked up yet.....gotta be desperate to start or even own him IMO

Users who are viewing this thread