What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Blue Jays vs. Royals ALCS thread: Is it 1985 already? *** (1 Viewer)

Michael Brown

Footballguy
Some rabid fan bases in this series. If the Mets beat the Dodgers tomorrow, it can be argued that the four remaining teams have had the most jacked-up fan bases all season long. Jays should go in as favorites, but this KC team just refuses to die.

Should be a good one!

yeah this next one is going to get really messy. Jays hitters love crowding the plate and "celebrating" their home runs and the KC pitchers have no second thoughts about nailing guys in the head. Add to that mix the rabid, angry fan base in Toronto (dunno how KC is).

Should make for ugly, can't miss tv

I think a lot of Royals fans are still pissy that no one (prediction/projection systems) really likes their team, even though the went to the World Series last year and are in the ALCS. I get that "world is against us" vibe that I get from Toronto fans as well. I see lots of intensity and hurt feelings in all 4 games....

Blue Jays fans are now Eurotrash soccer fans I guess.

Go Royals!
<Insert city of Detroit comment here>
What about Vancouver? They throw #### and cry when something doesn't go their way also. Detroit only riots when they win, something foreign to every Canadian team for the past 22 years. :bye:
What about Florida? It's a dump and is in the same country, so is as relevant to Detroit as Vancouver is to Toronto.

Go Royals!
What about Vancouver? They throw #### and cry when something doesn't go their way also. Detroit only riots when they win, something foreign to every Canadian team for the past 22 years. :bye:
What about Florida? It's a dump and is in the same country, so is as relevant to Detroit as Vancouver is to Toronto.
Florida fans threw a bunch of #### on a field/rioted when something went wrong for their team? Link?

Doctor Detroit said:
Northern Voice said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Northern Voice said:
Doctor Detroit said:

Go Royals!
Florida fans threw a bunch of #### on a field/rioted when something went wrong for their team? Link?
Rats down?

I'm just looking for something to root against. I disliked the Jays when I was a kid and rooted against them in the 92/93 WS, but I got nothing beyond that.

I'll root for the NL team anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm just looking for something to root against. I disliked the Jays when I was a kid and rooted against them in the 92/93 WS, but I got nothing beyond that.

Royals have come across as a bunch of whiny dbags all season long. Seems the easy AL team to root against. :shrug:

Royals have come across as a bunch of whiny dbags all season long. Seems the easy AL team to root against. :shrug:
I can see why people would dislike certain Jays - Bautista, Donaldson and Stroman in particular, but those guys are so much to watch IMO. It would suck when they're beating you, and the fact that they show emotion can definitely rub some (old, white) people the wrong way.

I can see why people would dislike certain Jays - Bautista, Donaldson and Stroman in particular, but those guys are so much to watch IMO. It would suck when they're beating you, and the fact that they show emotion can definitely rub some (old, white) people the wrong way.
I've never heard this, never read anything about people hating the Jays players. Wooderson works in the A's system and said Donaldson is a jerkoff as a person, but that's about it. I've always liked Bautista, Price, and Russ Martin. Does Stroman eat kittens? Besides being overrated up to this point, never heard anything about him either. Maybe you're just being paranoid. :shrug:

AnonymousBob said:
Doctor Detroit said:

Go Royals!
Toronto police say a man has been charged with mischief after a baby was hit by the spray of a thrown beer can at Wednesdays Blue Jays game.
I'm not supporting throwing crap on the field, but this seems weak. Guy threw a beer, some sprayed onto the baby and he gets arrested?
I support arresting all who threw items. And the women who brought an infant to the game is a ####### idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of Royals fans are still pissy that no one (prediction/projection systems) really likes their team, even though the went to the World Series last year and are in the ALCS. I get that "world is against us" vibe that I get from Toronto fans as well. I see lots of intensity and hurt feelings in all 4 games....
Still like the 4 game call?

I don't care for the Royals very much (mainly because the Cardinals fans jump/jumped on their wagon), but I think KC is built much better to succeed in the postseason than the Jays. The Blue Jays were fortunate to get a really bad Rangers team who had no pitching depth and still barely advanced. Power hitting teams are vastly overrated in the postseason.

Love how one of the best offenses ever "isn't built for the playoffs". Solid shtick.
Failing to understand the difference between the regular season and postseason is really solid schtick. I guess if you are a Jays fan you wouldn't lol

Love how one of the best offenses ever "isn't built for the playoffs". Solid shtick.
Failing to understand the difference between the regular season and postseason is really solid schtick. I guess if you are a Jays fan you wouldn't lol
Harold Reynolds likes this shtick.
Maybe you should take a second to think about why the postseason doesn't cater to power hitting offenses as much as the regular season. Try to respond with something that doesn't contain the word schtick please. It doesn't seem like you are capable of doing that though.

Maybe you should take a second to think about why the postseason doesn't cater to power hitting offenses as much as the regular season. Try to respond with something that doesn't contain the word schtick please. It doesn't seem like you are capable of doing that though.
So would a team with the highest OBP%, 2nd in avg, top 5 BsR and BB/K be built for the playoffs?

Please teach me what an offense "built for the playoffs" is since the team that is best in damn near every single category isn't. Or are you going to go with "playoffs are different".

Actual commentary just now:

Harold Reynolds: "Probably has a great rhythm for pulling out. It's ugly!"

Verducci: "And it probably smells too. Just the opposite of Ozzie Smith. Ozzie Smith liked it firm, hard. That is the complete opposite of firm and hard"

And then Joe Buck goes on to talk about Eric Stonestreet. NTTAWWT

So would a team with the highest OBP%, 2nd in avg, top 5 BsR and BB/K be built for the playoffs?

Please teach me what an offense "built for the playoffs" is since the team that is best in damn near every single category isn't. Or are you going to go with "playoffs are different".
Only thing I would say about this is how the Yankees teams from 2002-2007 were built. Tons of HR, lots of superstars, but then they'd get into the playoffs and wouldn't be able to get 2-out hits or move runners up or hit a sac fly with a guy on 3rd and 0 outs. It was weird, all these big bats couldn't score runs. And they struck out at an alarming rate on top of it. Maybe something to be said for having solid contact hitters in the postseason. I don't know if this flies in the face of advanced (or even basic) stats, but there had to have been some explanation for it.

Only thing I would say about this is how the Yankees teams from 2002-2007 were built. Tons of HR, lots of superstars, but then they'd get into the playoffs and wouldn't be able to get 2-out hits or move runners up or hit a sac fly with a guy on 3rd and 0 outs. It was weird, all these big bats couldn't score runs. And they struck out at an alarming rate on top of it. Maybe something to be said for having solid contact hitters in the postseason. I don't know if this flies in the face of advanced (or even basic) stats, but there had to have been some explanation for it.
Probably had more to do with their high K rate than anything else

Some of it would be sample size. I'd agree that a lot of poor contact, high strike out power hitters would struggle against higher quality pitching. But that does not describe Toronto; not sure if it did for the Yankees or not.

Toronto also lead the league in sac flies since you brought it up. Middle of the pack in sac bunts (ahead of KC).

The narrative that they're just a bunch of one dimensional power hitters is completely wrong.

This k zone blows. Multiple times where the K zone showed the ball right on the edge or barely catching the zone, and then the overhead shows it right down the middle. Why even bother?

That Blue Jays offense...one of the best ever. Hey, at least they improved from being shut out.
Good shtick Harold :thumbup: Still waiting for you to explain what an offense built for the playoffs is.
Blue Jays are down 0-2 schtick boy. :thumbup:
Yep. All because they hit too many homers during the regular season. Wish they didn't do that. Maybe they'll play Pennington instead of Donaldson next game to get a player built for the playoffs in the lineup.

The good news is it's actually a disadvantage to have more home games in a playoff series, so Toronto is actually in really good shape right now.

I don't like the Royals but they seem to pull off things my team never can. I have to respect that.
The crowd provided a home field advantage usually seen in other sports. The Game 1 crowd was so hot it added 2-3 MPH to Volquez's pitches. In Game 2, Goins quit on that Zobrist popup because he heard a fan in the third row yelling "I've got it! I've got it!" and thought it was Bautista. Usually when we talk about HFA in baseball it's about teams constructing their roster to fit their ballpark or just getting to hit last. But this weekend we saw the actual crowd itself make a difference.

That Blue Jays offense...one of the best ever. Hey, at least they improved from being shut out.
Good shtick Harold :thumbup: Still waiting for you to explain what an offense built for the playoffs is.
Blue Jays are down 0-2 schtick boy. :thumbup:
Yep. All because they hit too many homers during the regular season. Wish they didn't do that. Maybe they'll play Pennington instead of Donaldson next game to get a player built for the playoffs in the lineup.
Let me know when you are done having an i-conniption and maybe I would find the time.

Users who are viewing this thread