What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Cubs vs. Mets NLCS thread: Is it 2018 already? *** (1 Viewer)

A roided up Manny in 2008 almost single-handedly ended the Cubs season, so there is the revenge factor. On the other hand, I think back to those Bulls/Knicks showdowns of the mid-90's and how intense the emotions were between the two cities, so that would be great to go through again.

Last edited by a moderator:
A roided up Manny in 2008 almost single-handedly ended the Cubs season, so there is the revenge factor. On the other hand, I think back to those Bulls/Knicks showdowns of the mid-90's and how intense the emotions were between the two cities, so that would be great to go through again.
Manny is with the Cubs now guy

Now that the Mets are the opponent, it's hard not to think about how special this series can be.

We're looking at two teams that are on the same upward arc, both of which are ahead of schedule, but going about it in completely different ways.

Cubs have built their organization around bats and added necessary arms to the arsenal

Mets have built their organization around arms and added bats as needed

With the player control these teams are looking at, it's likely that we're witnessing the beginning of a great rivalry that could last for the next 4-5 years.

Over the long haul, I'll always favor bats to arms, so for the next 4-5 years, I'll say the advantage is lies with the Cubs.

I'll also say advantage Cubs for this series. Outside of Gildz and RBM being awful human beings, The young Met arms have passed, or are approaching unprecedented levels of innings pitched. While most of the Cubs arms are too, they have experience on their side.

As good as the mets pitchers are none of then are as good as arrieta. Should be an AMAZING series. Go cubbies

Now that the Mets are the opponent, it's hard not to think about how special this series can be.

We're looking at two teams that are on the same upward arc, both of which are ahead of schedule, but going about it in completely different ways.

Cubs have built their organization around bats and added necessary arms to the arsenal

With the player control these teams are looking at, it's likely that we're witnessing the beginning of a great rivalry that could last for the next 4-5 years.

Over the long haul, I'll always favor bats to arms, so for the next 4-5 years, I'll say the advantage is lies with the Cubs.

I'll also say advantage Cubs for this series. Outside of Gildz and RBM being awful human beings, The young Met arms have passed, or are approaching unprecedented levels of innings pitched. While most of the Cubs arms are too, they have experience on their side.
I will take arms over bats in the postseason all day, every day. Cubs aren't going to be hitting in Wrigley with the wind blowing out at 25 MPH every night.

I will take arms over bats in the postseason all day, every day. Cubs aren't going to be hitting in Wrigley with the wind blowing out at 25 MPH every night.
Team ERAs

Cubs: 3.36

Mets: 3.43

Ranked 3rd and 4th

1 and 2: STL and PIT

Lol Cubs have pitching and hitting.

I'm going to go Cubs in 6 assuming the Mets win tonight. If they lose tonight, I'll go Cubs in 5. I don't see the Mets beating Arrieta. The Cubs are just hitting everyone right now and I can't see the young Mets staff slowing them down.

I'm going to go Cubs in 6 assuming the Mets win tonight. If they lose tonight, I'll go Cubs in 5. I don't see the Mets beating Arrieta. The Cubs are just hitting everyone right now and I can't see the young Mets staff slowing them down.
i do. Good pitching always beats good hitting and while the cubs are power hitters they strike out alot which is the mets specialty. Ill say mets in 7

Lol Cubs have pitching and hitting.
the cubs have pitching? Or pitcher? Id take the mets top 3 over lester and id take arrieta #1 overall. Heres how id rank the startersArrieta

Degrom

Harvey

Thor

Lester

Matz

Hammel

Hendricks

The mets have the better closer

i do. Good pitching always beats good hitting and while the cubs are power hitters they strike out alot which is the mets specialty. Ill say mets in 7
No it doesn't

No it doesn't
i know its just a saying but give me the power arms over the power bats everytime and ill take my chances.

No it doesn't
i know its just a saying but give me the power arms over the power bats everytime and ill take my chances.
I'll agree with your pitcher rankings but it's not like Lester is that far behind the 3 Mets aces. He also has a lot of playoff experience which the Mets aces don't have. So the Mets will have to face Arrieta and Lester twice each and a Cubs lineup that is absolutely crushing everyone right now. I may be way off here but I'd be very surprised if the Cubs lose this series.

Although the one thing I will say about Arrieta is that he may be getting tired. He's never pitched anywhere close to the number of the innings that he pitched this season. The Pirates were starting to hit him somewhat hard in the later innings and the Cards also did some damage. I think he even admitted that he was getting tired.

I wouldn't be surprised by anything that happens in this series. It's the freaking mets and Cubs in an nlcs. All bets are off

I think I may hate Jon Lester. I hate that he needs his dad to play catcher for him. I hate that he cant hit to save his life(neither can papa ross). I hate that he can't throw to first and I hate that he makes so much damn money compared to everybody else on this team.

I am not there yet, but I am getting there. Please win me back over Lester.

Gets pretty windy over there. I was at Shea for an opening day years ago. I don't care what the thermometer said. My bones froze that day

Terrible send. First words out of my mouth were "Yes. Too bad thats not enough to score castro."

I cant type my next words when I saw him heading home.

It's the Mets year. Biggest moment of the game, and despite this monstrous lineup, the baseball gods somehow found Tommy La Stella to put up there in that spot

ETA: Well, David Ross...but you guys know what I mean

The hell is montero doing there sitting behind the plate?!?

Also, good thing Price and Lester's playoff experience is paying off so much today...

Well price has been a pretty ####ty playoff pitcher hasn't he? And lester has been pretty hit or miss all year.

The hell is montero doing there sitting behind the plate?!?

Also, good thing Price and Lester's playoff experience is paying off so much today...
I have popped about 42 blood vessels here. Why pinch hit la stella and then also put in Monetero? Why not just let Montero hit then?

I almost #### my pants when I saw Lester in the on deck circle.

Don't feel the slightest bit lucky.

Just watched Harvey strike out 6 of the first 12 batter he faces and dominate.

Cubs hit Harvey hard all night, just didn't get the breaks. Not feeling too bad about that loss.
did we watch the same game?
Joe Sheehan, Eno Sarris, Buster Olney all said the same thing. BABIP was cruel to the Cubs last night. Even with those bad breaks, a bad send, a dropped double play ball, and a bad play at the plate by Montero, Cubs lost by just 2. Mets should feel lucky.
This is only the beginning, folks. This is why we can't let the Cubs win.

Cubs hit Harvey hard all night, just didn't get the breaks. Not feeling too bad about that loss.
did we watch the same game?
Joe Sheehan, Eno Sarris, Buster Olney all said the same thing. BABIP was cruel to the Cubs last night. Even with those bad breaks, a bad send, a dropped double play ball, and a bad play at the plate by Montero, Cubs lost by just 2. Mets should feel lucky.
This is only the beginning, folks. This is why we can't let the Cubs win.
Yeah, time to hop on board the Pond Scum Bandwagon now.

Users who are viewing this thread