What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Mets vs. Royals World Series Thread *** KC Champs! (1 Viewer)

Michael Brown

Footballguy
Congrats to the Metropolitans. Now they sit back and wait, and cryogenically freeze Daniel Murphy until just before first pitch next week. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great series either way

WOOOOOOOOT!

Got me my WS cap today. Stupid flat brims.
From your lips to God's ears. One of the dumbest fads of recent memory.
Its getting broken in, but has a ways to go. Has that too new, too stiff seven-head. For everyday wear going with my ol' broken in standby that helped get us here... purchased tix for a game at the Temple auction (such a Long Island Jew thing, I know) and it came with Hats and Shirts along with the package. My tried and true old Met hat was really hurting a bit, so broke it in during this great season.

JEWEY LONG ISLAND NOTE (Six Degrees of WHAT? BACON?)... Saul Katz' family were members of our Temple - maybe still are, dont know - and my parents know the family quite well (I've talked about them as owners, but as people they really have done a lot of great, not just good). Anyway, his daughter was at my Bar Mitzvah, and even had a dance with the Bar Mitzvah boy at her request. (BM Boy didn't parlay that into ####, apparently. Well, maybe a Mets hat).

.... True Tales of Jews from Long Island

Anyone gonna try to get a ticket to a game?

My wife's birthday is Friday....trying to come up with a way to get her and I tickets and somehow make it seem like it's something she would want.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's birthday is Friday....trying to come up with a way to get her and I tickets and somehow make it seem like it's something she would want.
WHAAAAA???

If you need to 'make it seem' like something she wants for her birthday, you will end up neither comfortable nor numb, my friend.

Numbnuts maybe, so good luck with that

New York Mets WS rotation . . . .

Game 1: deGrom

Game 2: Syndergaard

Game 3: Harvey

Game 4: Matz

Game 5: deGrom

Game 6: Syndergaard

Game 7: Harvey

I like it. Makes the most sense. All hands other than synd avail in game 7. And like Harvey in the pivotal game 3 spot

heard this tidbit on local radio this morning...

first ever WS that doesn't include at least one franchise that was in MLB in 1903 (year of the first WS)

i found that hard to believe, but couldn't think of an example contradicting it

oso diablo said:
heard this tidbit on local radio this morning...

first ever WS that doesn't include at least one franchise that was in MLB in 1903 (year of the first WS)

i found that hard to believe, but couldn't think of an example contradicting it
Wow. I, too, was skeptical. But it holds up. There's a few franchise relocations more difficult to trace than others (like the Orioles as the artists formerly known as the St. Louis Browns) but this is the first time both trails will end after 1903.

=Smackdown= said:
comfortably numb said:

Seeing lowest ticket prices at around $1,500 ?!
I was seeing 800 for SRO

Koya said:
comfortably numb said:
WHAAAAA???

If you need to 'make it seem' like something she wants for her birthday, you will end up neither comfortable nor numb, my friend.

Numbnuts maybe, so good luck with that
Yea...would probably go over just as good as getting a vacuum cleaner for valentine's day

Congrats to the Metropolitans. Now they sit back and wait, and cryogenically freeze Daniel Murphy until just before first pitch next week. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great series either way
Recency bias yadda yadda yadda, but this has been the best playoffs I've seen in some time.

Mets are the better team but the Royals seem to know how to win. I have no clue who will win
I hope you're right, but the royals are a really well-rounded baseball team. There's nothing they don't do well. Best 1-9 lineup in the majors, probably the best bullpen, and possibly the best defense. That said, we have the clear advantage in starting pitching and I like our odds at home where there's no dh meaning the royals lose their best power hitter.

Mets are the better team but the Royals seem to know how to win. I have no clue who will win
I hope you're right, but the royals are a really well-rounded baseball team. There's nothing they don't do well. Best 1-9 lineup in the majors, probably the best bullpen, and possibly the best defense. That said, we have the clear advantage in starting pitching and I like our odds at home where there's no dh meaning the royals lose their best power hitter.
well that's the difference bad rotation vs best rotation in baseball

I hope you're right, but the royals are a really well-rounded baseball team. There's nothing they don't do well. Best 1-9 lineup in the majors, probably the best bullpen, and possibly the best defense.That said, we have the clear advantage in starting pitching and I like our odds at home where there's no dh meaning the royals lose their best power hitter.
well that's the difference bad rotation vs best rotation in baseball
While the Mets have the deeper rotation, this for example is something that will be interesting to watch:Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2h2 hours ago

Royals vs. 95-mph+ pitches, MLB ranks in parentheses: BA: .284 (1st) SLG: .432 (2nd) K%: 15.1% (1st) Mets throw the most 95-mph+ pitches.

Daren Willman ‏@darenw 2h2 hours ago

Daren Willman Retweeted Jeff Passan

#Royals threw the 2nd most pitches 95 MPH+. #Mets ranks: 28th in BA (.219) 13th in Slg% (.374) 10th in K% (25%)

And in contrast,

http://justmets.mlblogs.com/2015/10/20/the-cubs-weaknesses-are-playing-right-into-the-mets-strengths-in-the-nlcs/

http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11416

It really should have been no surprise to anyone that the Cubs struggled against that Mets rotation. KC is a very different situation.

Agree 100%. Cubs were a team that strikes out alot. It shouldn't have came as a surprise that the mets dominated them. It will be a different story this series

Agree 100%. Cubs were a team that strikes out alot. It shouldn't have came as a surprise that the mets dominated them. It will be a different story this series
Very worthy point. That said, the Mets rotation, literally all four of them, are not just really hard throwers. In fact, they often lean on their off speed and at all times change it up a good deal. While MLB has more hard throwers than ever, many / most of them are more fastball reliant.

As a result, the Mets at times pitch to a good amount of contact, and in fact their pitching staff has been learning to do so (mostly to keep pitch count down). Heck, Familia sometimes doesn't strike a guy out for two outings in a row, pitching to (very weak) contact.

What concerns me more as a Mets fan is the Royals ability on the basepaths. THAT is a way to potentially disrupt the flow of any pitcher, certainly guys who are between a rookie and 2nd year almost across the board. And that's how you create scores in 3-2 games.

Most of all what concerns me is that the Royals are just a great team, top to bottom, in so many aspects of the game. Gonna be a great series.

confirmed I'll be at game 2 and 6 if necessary.

I sit a few rows back from Marlins man and a little more towards third.

It's apparently cheaper to fly from NY to KC and purchase tickets, flight, hotel, than it is to buy an average ticket for the series at Citi

Secondary market in KC is cheaper than it was for last year's Series. Especially for Game 1.

Doubt I'll go to a game this year. A couple friends are kicking around the idea of going down to The K early, tailgate in the parking lot with other Royals fans, and wait and see if the StubHub market craters as first pitch approaches. Supposedly if you're willing to miss the top half of the first you can get a really good deal, but I never tried this strategy or researched it.

Secondary market in KC is cheaper than it was for last year's Series. Especially for Game 1.

Doubt I'll go to a game this year. A couple friends are kicking around the idea of going down to The K early, tailgate in the parking lot with other Royals fans, and wait and see if the StubHub market craters as first pitch approaches. Supposedly if you're willing to miss the top half of the first you can get a really good deal, but I never tried this strategy or researched it.
Probably a good strategy if you can accept the chance that they might sell out and you'll just be watching the game from a nearby bar. If you're OK with that (and missing some of the first inning), it's probably a good way to go.

I guess a lot really depends on how skillful the scalpers are.

More i think about more i think the mets are gonna win pretty easily. the pitching difference is just way too much to overcome. And the Royals starters are all righties which the mets hit very well.

Mets in 5

Good Posting Judge said:
Volquez starting G1 btw. We live in an amazing world.
This isn't the same Volquez who played for pitching guru Bud Black.

or the same guy who pitching destroyer Dusty Baker sent to Tommy John surgery.

Maybe he is though. I've watched Volquez enough over the years to know that no matter how much he's cruising, the possibility of an ugly meltdown inning is always lurking.

"Good said:
Total Yost move. Volquez started Game 1 of the ALCS, got a powerup from the crowd and had more velocity and movement than we'd seen in any start all season. So, obviously if you start Volquez in another home Game 1 he will throw late-breaking smoke for six innings.Rotation will be Volquez-Cueto-Ventura-Young. Not sure which Wild Card has me more jazzed: Volquez in Game 1 or Ventura in Game 7.

"Good said:

Probably a good strategy if you can accept the chance that they might sell out and you'll just be watching the game from a nearby bar. If you're OK with that (and missing some of the first inning), it's probably a good way to go.

I guess a lot really depends on how skillful the scalpers are.
Yep. And here's the funny thing: there are no bars near Kauffman. None. The Truman Sports Complex hosts Kauffman, Arrowhead, gigantic parking lots serving both stadiums, the Chiefs practice facility... and that's it. It's actually a tailgating scene like a college football Gameday. So the backup plan involves bringing a big TV, generator, Apple TV hookup, AirDrop, and streaming the game on a big-### TV we prop up in the back of a pickup truck.

"Good said:
Total Yost move. Volquez started Game 1 of the ALCS, got a powerup from the crowd and had more velocity and movement than we'd seen in any start all season. So, obviously if you start Volquez in another home Game 1 he will throw late-breaking smoke for six innings.Rotation will be Volquez-Cueto-Ventura-Young. Not sure which Wild Card has me more jazzed: Volquez in Game 1 or Ventura in Game 7.
I guess there's really no sense in questioning Volquez over Cueto, because we don't really know what's going on with the latter.

That's part of the fun of watching the Royals. The sheer unpredictability.

When Cueto hit his slump in September, they found a mechanical flaw and addressed it. But his windup is so jacked up it's hard to tell if the fix has stuck. And he makes it worse when he deliberately messes with his windup to throw off hitters' timing.

Even if Cueto gives up 18 runs in the Series I'll think the trade was worth doing, but that's largely based on my back-of-envelope calculation putting Brandon Finnegan's Cy Young Award winning probability at 0.07%.

My favorite part about Cueto starting Game 2? Takes the one guy in the rotation who was in the NL three months ago and keeps him out of all the possible games where the pitchers hit.

When Cueto hit his slump in September, they found a mechanical flaw and addressed it. But his windup is so jacked up it's hard to tell if the fix has stuck. And he makes it worse when he deliberately messes with his windup to throw off hitters' timing.

Even if Cueto gives up 18 runs in the Series I'll think the trade was worth doing, but that's largely based on my back-of-envelope calculation putting Brandon Finnegan's Cy Young Award winning probability at 0.07%.
So he was brought in to make sure they...won the division?

Finnegan's got nasty stuff, but the odds are stacked against sub-6' pitchers sustaining long-term success as starters. I think he'll be great, but ultimately coming out of the pen. Still, the Royals will eventually feel the effects of trading away arms like his and Manaea's, but unless Glass shoots the lock off his wallet (which is not-insignificantly smaller after Wal-Mart's tumble) this off-season, it probably isn't going to matter much in the near future.

Also, I realize Volquez is throwing harder (so are a lot of pitchers this postseason, as Sarris pointed out), but he still stinks.

If prices come down a little, I might go Friday. $1k-$1200 is really my ceiling per ticket and I'm not paying that to sit in the upper deck in right field.If you want to sit behind the dugout, it's cheaper to fly to KC for the game than watching it here.

So he was brought in to make sure they...won the division?

Finnegan's got nasty stuff, but the odds are stacked against sub-6' pitchers sustaining long-term success as starters. I think he'll be great, but ultimately coming out of the pen. Still, the Royals will eventually feel the effects of trading away arms like his and Manaea's, but unless Glass shoots the lock off his wallet (which is not-insignificantly smaller after Wal-Mart's tumble) this off-season, it probably isn't going to matter much in the near future.

Also, I realize Volquez is throwing harder (so are a lot of pitchers this postseason, as Sarris pointed out), but he still stinks.
Cueto was certainly brought in to get the team back to the Series. He helped them avoid the Wild Card round and secure home field. As bad as his struggles were, it was still an upgrade from Guthrie, Vargas, Duffy, or any of the other replacement-level guys at the back of the rotation. They're back in the Series. That doesn't happen without Cueto. IMO, they don't add Zobrist without acquiring Cueto first, and Zobrist has been an unqualified success at multiple positions defensively and hit the ball great.

Glass's spending habits haven't aligned with Wal-Mart's success/failure. There's one more year before the money gets super complicated with this core of players.

I know we've gone back and forth on Volquez. He would have been my third or fourth choice to start Game 1. I was just trying to get inside Yost's head. I want to believe he has a plan greater than farting magical baseball fairy dust all over the game's conventional wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread