What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Allen is out, who gets the extra work? (1 Viewer)

Improved stock to become (more) fantasy starting relevant:

Gates

Green (if healthy)

Woodhead

Johnson

IMO Green is the most talented of the non-Gates bunch by a wide margin (not to mention he's been damn consistent and produced in every role this season). Unknown about his injury status. If out, I'd bump Johnson quite a bit more. Part of me believes it'll be hard to guess production between Johnson/Floyd/Inman week-2-week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could mean a bump for Gordon. Season is over, let's see what the kid can do type thing. He got all the early carries last week even though it's clear the offense is so much better with Woodhead in there.

Gates and Stevie both seemed to be banged up, so Floyd could be more valuable than many think. Plus don't underestimate the comfort level that Rivers has with Floyd. Obviously if Gates is healthy of course, he gets the biggest bump.

any reason to believe in Inman here? He's on all my wires... thinking about his upside over Kendall Wright's relative middlingness

any reason to believe in Inman here? He's on all my wires... thinking about his upside over Kendall Wright's relative middlingness
Inman intrigues me more than Floyd because the main reason they're not rushing Allen back, if you believe the blogger, is that the team is out of the playoffs.

Given that, perhaps the team may want to give Inman more looks to see if he is part of the future.

Hard to say though since Rivers has a long history with Floyd and may just look for him when going downfield.

Rivers is going to feed Gates all. the. time. They will work on their "connection" numbers. Gates needs 11 more TDs to pass Gonzalez. He wont get it this year, but if he gets 4 or 5 more, he could easily get it next year. Do not think for one second players do not care about historic stats. They may want 68 TDs to jump to 6th combo of all time. 71 will put them in 5th. They have 65 right now. Rivers is going to continue to sling it, do not forget coaches always have something to play for.

Rivers is going to feed Gates all. the. time. They will work on their "connection" numbers. Gates needs 11 more TDs to pass Gonzalez. He wont get it this year, but if he gets 4 or 5 more, he could easily get it next year. Do not think for one second players do not care about historic stats. They may want 68 TDs to jump to 6th combo of all time. 71 will put them in 5th. They have 65 right now. Rivers is going to continue to sling it, do not forget coaches always have something to play for.
I don't imagine they really think about these things.

Rivers throws it to Gates because he's open all the time and catches everything.

Rivers throws it to Gates because he's open all the time and catches everything.
I'm not sure if the Rivers/Gates stats are a factor, but Rivers' chase of the single season passing yardage record may be. The team really have nothing else to play for, except jobs that is.

Think Brees circa 2008 when he was gunning for the same record.

This should allow a young guy like Inman to get more snaps but Rivers isn't going to feed the ball to a young guy just to see what he has. He is a savvy veteran that wants to win with whomever is on the field. I suspect they may run more 2 TE sets with Gates and Green and the main receivers will be Floyd and Johnson with Inman working in as a 3rd WR. Gates and Green have been very good to date and both should continue to be. I think Floyd and Johnson are the guys to benefit at WR.

And Rivers knows this. Trust is huge for a QB, especially when the weapons aren't at full strength.

Gates is also damn smart, especially in the Red Zone. If he's healthy I would expect Rivers to keep feeding him there in particular

Stevie always gets hurt, that'll open up the door for a mediocre Inman, I just think he is going to need huge volume to be useful.

Floyd might benefit the most as nobody is going to be able to get open underneath like Allen, so he might look to chuck it downfield more often.

Insein said:
Is Inman any good? Picking are gettin slim.
Yes he is. Getting Rivers off of Gates jock is the problem.
This doesn't really show how Inman is good though. He only has 4 targets the last 2 games and 18 on the year with 9 catches. Is he really good and just waiting for a chance or just a guy that happens to be playing?
Waiting for a chance. Last year when everyone was hurt and a game was on the line, on 4th down and long, he trusted Inman and Inman came thru with that catch along with others and they won the game. Inman was on a roll and they wasted their time & $ on Steve Johnson. Of course, I'm not sure he has any issues with routes and being on the same page as Rivers but he was at the end of last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chargers-wr-dontrelle-inman-catches-seven-passes-week-16/

Chargers wide receiver Dontrelle Inman racked up seven receptions on nine targets for 79 yards in his team's 38-35 overtime win over the 49ers in Week 16.

The coaches opened the second half with Inman in the lineup and the team down 28-7, and the little-used receiver was able to reward the gamble with an excellent half of football, picking up all his receptions in the second half. It was the first time this season Inman had even seen a target in a game, but he was able to pick up three first downs, including one on a crucial fourth-and-10 with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter and his team down seven points. The Chargers tied the game two plays later before winning in overtime.

Inman may have earned himself a significant role in his team's Week 17 matchup with the Chiefs, especially if Keenan Allen is unable to return to action.

fantasycurse42 said:
Stevie always gets hurt, that'll open up the door for a mediocre Inman, I just think he is going to need huge volume to be useful.

Floyd might benefit the most as nobody is going to be able to get open underneath like Allen, so he might look to chuck it downfield more often.
Floyd gets hurt a lot too. Inman could end up being the play by default.

fantasycurse42 said:
Ummm as an Allen owner who has watched a decent amount of subpar Chargers football this year, Inman is awful!!
How do we know this if he's seldom seen the field? He has a lot of proven talent ahead of him, so it's not like he hasn't taken advantage of opportunity.

fantasycurse42 said:
Ummm as an Allen owner who has watched a decent amount of subpar Chargers football this year, Inman is awful!!
How do we know this if he's seldom seen the field? He has a lot of proven talent ahead of him, so it's not like he hasn't taken advantage of opportunity.
2 possibilities: Incompetent coaches not trusting Inman even after his game at the end of last year or Inman is not running routes correctly.

Most Disappointing Camp - WR Dontrelle Inman

Dontrelle Inman had a strong back half of the season last year when filling in at the starting Wide Receiver spot collecting 12 receptions with 158 yards. Inman showed good route running, strong break back to the ball and also exhibited poise coming up with key receptions on multiple Chargers drives late in games.

With another year under his belt Inman had the potential pointing in the right direction but hasn't really gotten going in camp. Inman has been plagued by drops and has been caught running the wrong routes. In one of the most comical sequences in camp (or not, if you'r Inman) with Kellen Clemens at quarterback, Dontrelle Inman broke his route inside but Clemens throw went outside. Inman turned and looked at Clemens with his hands up in the air claiming it was his fault and all four quarterbacks watching Philip Rivers, Kellen Clemens, Brad Sorensen and Chase Rettig all simultaneously pointed to the out route all proving Inman was in the wrong.

While it hasn't been all bad for Inman, he has a close competition for that fifth Wide Receiver spot behind Keenan Allen, Malcom Floyd, Stevie Johnson and Jacoby Jones so his margin for error is slim going forward.

I don't think they trust him.

Johnson
Woodhead
Floyd

Inman

Don't expect Gates to see a big bump, as he's already being targeted a ton. They can't go to him on *every* play. He may see a slight uptick, but it won't be as much as the other guys.

Anything to back this up or just speculating? He's available in my 12 man superflex and I've been looking at him.
98.5% pure speculation based on being one of last men standing & that he produced last year....when given the opportunity. Remember that Floyd is gone next year. Gates possibly also.

This should allow a young guy like Inman to get more snaps but Rivers isn't going to feed the ball to a young guy just to see what he has. He is a savvy veteran that wants to win with whomever is on the field. I suspect they may run more 2 TE sets with Gates and Green and the main receivers will be Floyd and Johnson with Inman working in as a 3rd WR. Gates and Green have been very good to date and both should continue to be. I think Floyd and Johnson are the guys to benefit at WR.
This! These other posts are nice but much less likely.

Inman is a receiver who has just a season and a half of NFL experience, but he is an intriguing player nonetheless. Inman played two seasons for the Toronto Argonauts in the CFL, and he was one of their top targets during that span. He helped the team en route to their Grey Cup victory in 2012.

During his time in the CFL, Inman used his 6-foot-3 stature to battle for balls in the air, but he was still athletic enough to beat corners in coverage. His skills translated well to the NFL as a result, and he really came on towards the end of last season. In two games played, Inman grabbed 12 passes for 158 yards and really proved that he could be a part of the teams offensive attack. Unfortunately, he was buried on the depth chart to start this season, and he didnt get a chance to be the teams third receiver.

Now, Inman has a chance to step up even more and he may be able to take over the teams No. 2 receiver role for the rest of the season. Stevie Johnson hasnt been able to stay healthy this season, and there really isnt much on the team aside from him and Malcom Floyd. If Inman can step up and develop some more chemistry with Philip Rivers, then he should solidify himself as a part of the Chargers future.
I'm buying. Stevie Johnson is 29, already had a hammy and now a shoulder, could be just a matter of time before Inman is getting 8-10 targets per game. Floyd typically hasn't been a high volume guy. I'm sure the TEs and Woodhead will benefit as well, but I like the odds of Inman earning a chunk of the pie too.

Disclaimer: Rivers & Gates are the only Chargers I own across multiple leagues. I just hope McCoy just goes with it & lets Rivers run the short passing offense w/ Woodhead on the field for the vast majority of snaps. I thought for sure he had come to the realization that is the best way to run the offense this year, but then the Ravens game happened. I understand Gordon was the 1st round pick this year, but so many wasted plays handing him the ball.

Inman stinks, opportunity does not mean success. He wasnt playing much before or doing much but now since someone got hurt he will jump everyone and start producing over the players who were playing and were producing?

This is a thread about who will get the targets, Inman is not going to be the person top benefit most from the #1 WR being out or getting all those targets. That will be already established players. If anything he sees more playing time, but hardly a bump that will make him matter unless someone else at WR goes down.

Gates

Woodhead

Floyd

Johnson

Green

Inman

My gut says Floyd and Woodhead are the guys who benefit most from this, at least until Stevie is 100%

Inman stinks, opportunity does not mean success. He wasnt playing much before or doing much but now since someone got hurt he will jump everyone and start producing over the players who were playing and were producing?

This is a thread about who will get the targets, Inman is not going to be the person top benefit most from the #1 WR being out or getting all those targets. That will be already established players. If anything he sees more playing time, but hardly a bump that will make him matter unless someone else at WR goes down.

Gates

Woodhead

Floyd

Johnson

Green

Inman
Short response: I think it is a bit more complex than that. You have to look at the dynamics of the type of players available, etc. We know what Gates/Green are and where they produce. We know what Allen was and what needs to be replaced. We know the running game and we know how much Stevie Johnson fits in to replacing Allen. We also have a short glimpse of Inman last year under similar circumstances. And finally, we know the Chargers are a bad team, likely to trail often, willing to throw often.

Anyone's prediction is just as good as mine but I'm simply sharing my thoughts on how I arrived at this: I think he is likely to play a high number of snaps and receive 6-9 targets a game. If he has ability, I think he translates that into something that is valuable to FF owners, given the cost to acquire.

Gates

Woodhead

Floyd

Johnson

Green

Inman
Short response: I think it is a bit more complex than that. You have to look at the dynamics of the type of players available, etc. We know what Gates/Green are and where they produce. We know what Allen was and what needs to be replaced. We know the running game and we know how much Stevie Johnson fits in to replacing Allen. We also have a short glimpse of Inman last year under similar circumstances. And finally, we know the Chargers are a bad team, likely to trail often, willing to throw often.

Anyone's prediction is just as good as mine but I'm simply sharing my thoughts on how I arrived at this: I think he is likely to play a high number of snaps and receive 6-9 targets a game. If he has ability, I think he translates that into something that is valuable to FF owners, given the cost to acquire.
That's your short response? Kidding. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

As a Panther homer watching Brown and Funchess squandering their opportunity this season, I agree that we need to evaluate Inman's skills more. I feel totally in the dark on him due to a small sample size.

As a Panther homer watching Brown and Funchess squandering their opportunity this season, I agree that we need to evaluate Inman's skills more. I feel totally in the dark on him due to a small sample size.
Yeah, very disappointed in Funchess. Good point about how a real life team should be using the opportunity to see what is there or not. Would be ideal for Inman, Green, etc. Chargers have nothing to lose.

Gates

Woodhead

Floyd

Johnson

Green

Inman

That's your short response? Kidding. Good stuff. Keep it coming.
LOL.. Sorry..

I just picked up Inman in my 14 teamer and will likely be playing him in the flex this week after trading Cooks and having to cover byes.

Despite the fact that I watch a lot more ACC football than most I barely remember this kid. He didnt do anything at UVA until his senior year and then had modest success in the CFL and with limited opportunities in 2 games last year.

But he appears to have decent size/speed combo and the stats from the 2 games when Allen was out last year are promising. I'm rolling him out there this week and seeing what happens. Again, don't know much about him but have a gut feeling he has a decent game on MNF and may have some WR3/4 value ROS in redraft.

Interested in hearing more who have watched the Chargers and Inman more closely.

ETA- I have Stevie Johnson in another league and am just have a hard time trusting him. Rivers barely seems to look his way in the games I've seen and a lot of his modest target numbers looked like they came from quick screens. Rivers rarely seems to get to him through his normal progressions. He buried behind on my bench behind a bunch of WR3 types in another league and I'm just not seeing it.

Inman, though, intrigues me. Lots of targets up for grabs here and I'm guessing he will benefit most from them.

So this was alluded to but not really answered - who takes Allen's actual position on field and who will be running his routes? Is that Stevie? And then Inman becomes the regular WR3?

Allen and Stevie both played outside and in the slot. Floyd is outside. I expect this means the norm will shift to Inman and Floyd outside and Stevie in the slot.

The Chargers probably will not hold their pace that projects to 708 passing attempts for the season. I'm guessing they drop to "just" 41 attempts per game the rest of the way. If so, and if all remaining players stay healthy the rest of the way, I'd break it down like this:

9 Gates
7 Stevie
6.5 Woodhead
5 Floyd
5 Inman
5 Green
2.5 Gordon
1 Phillips

The staying healthy part certainly seems questionable, since Gates, Green, and Stevie are all dealing with/playing through injuries. That may mean a few of these guys will have higher target averages to cover for missed time by others. My guess is that this will bump Woodhead and Inman slightly higher than I am showing here.

Users who are viewing this thread