What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marco Rubio 2016 (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
I think it's time for a thread. I've been supporting him since he announced that he was running. He has the best shot of matching up against Hillary and brings in some of the young and Latino votes. He's performed well in the debates, stays away from mud slinging and sticks to the issues with well thought out answers. I think he's finally learning how to loosen up a little. Hopefully he continues to limit the canned responses and speaks more from the heart. Miami Dolphin fan with a former Dolphin cheerleader for a wife, so that's a huge plus for me.

As President, Marco will:

Reform the Tax Code to Treat Parents Fairly by:

• Creating a new $2,500 per child partially refundable tax credit, to allow working parents to keep more of their money and fix the parent tax penalty
  • Ending the marriage tax penalty without penalizing homemakers (Read more about Marco’s tax plan here.)
  • Encouraging more paid leave for new parents, caretakers of ailing loved ones, seriously ill employees, and military families, without harmful mandates or costly new entitlements (Read more about Marco’s paid leave plan here.)
Promote a Marriage Culture by:

• Speaking out for traditional American values and against the decline of marriage
  • Allowing states to use anti-poverty dollars on programs that recognize marriage’s crucial role in lifting families out of poverty
Repeal Burdensome Regulations on Farmers and Ranchers

Marco will undo the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Water Rule, that will dramatically expand federal control over ponds, ditches and streams. Further, he will fight EPA regulation of greenhouse gas emissions and excessive application of the Endangered Species Act, which can, when misused, deem huge swathes of productive land off-limits for agriculture or other beneficial development. In the U.S. Senate, Marco fought the EPA’s attempt to regulate numeric nutrients in Florida waters — and won.

Permanently End the Punitive Death Tax

Marco’s comprehensive pro-growth, pro-family tax reform will permanently end the death tax and allow for immediate expensing of new machinery and equipment. According to the nonpartisan Tax Foundation, the plan would raise wages and boost investment dramatically. Read more about his tax plan here.

Oppose New Taxes on Energy

As President, Marco would fight the establishment of a cap-and-trade program or carbon tax, which would act as a new national energy tax on agriculture producers. In addition, Marco will push for other reforms to unleash American energy production and bring down energy costs for farmers.

Open New Markets for Farmers and Ranchers

Marco supports Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), which asserts Congress’s role in critical trade negotiations and paves the way for the creation of agricultural jobs. Marco would also push for timely completion of trade agreements to boost exports for American farmers and ranchers.

Curb Overregulation

Farmers and ranchers deal with huge costs imposed by the federal regulations, which interfere in labeling procedures, impose new permitting requirements, land use, and more. Marco has proposed a National Regulatory Budget that would cap the costs federal regulations can impose on the economy, including a limit for each individual agency. This would prevent regulators from imposing costly new rules at whim, and give Congress the ability to rein in regulators.

Marco has fought to protect the Second Amendment by:

• Voting to block the Manchin-Bloomberg expansion of background checks
  • Fighting to defund the Department of Justice’s radical “Operation Choke Point” and other federal attacks on law-abiding gun manufacturers and dealers
  • Pushing to bring fundamental Second Amendment rights back to D.C. residents
  • Protecting the Second Amendment rights of veterans and their families
  • Standing against any federal attempt to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines
  • Pushing to make concealed-carry permits function like drivers’ licenses, so gun owners’ constitutional rights don’t end at state lines
  • Opposing U.S. involvement in the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty
  • Working to expand opportunities for sportsmen on federal lands
As President, Marco will continue to stand up for the rights of law-abiding gun owners, sportsmen, and hunters.

Enact Comprehensive Tax Reform that Protects Small Businesses

Marco supports comprehensive tax reform that will:

• Cut taxes for small businesses to 25%;
  • Let businesses immediately expense new investments;
  • Permanently repeal the death tax.
Demand Full Repeal of ObamaCare and Its $1 Trillion of Tax Hikes

• Repeal ObamaCare in full, including the $1 trillion of tax hikes on workers and employers, in particular the job-destroying employer mandate and obstacles to hiring full-time workers;
  • Support consumer-centered reforms that lower costs and provide flexibility to businesses.
Read more about Marco’s plan for health care here.

Fight for Accountable Regulatory Policies

• Establish a National Regulatory Budget to hold unelected regulators accountable;
  • Let Congress vote up or down on regulations that have a major impact on the economy;
  • Expose the true costs of regulations on the American economy and small businesses;
  • Dramatically increase small business input in the regulatory process.
Pursue Policies that Lower Energy Costs, Fight Policies That Raise Them

• Expand responsible production of American-made energy, including oil, coal, natural gas, and renewables;
  • Immediately approve construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline;
  • Fight cap-and-trade, a carbon tax, and new regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency that act as a national energy tax.
Establish a Common-Sense Balance Between Worker and Employer Rights

• Protect the secret ballot for workers during union elections;
  • Prohibit unions from siphoning off worker dues for political activities; and
  • Remove union-imposed obstacles to workers receiving pay increases and bonuses.

VA Reform

Marco has introduced legislation allowing secretaries of the VA to remove any VA employee based on performance or misconduct. Without the basic accountability this measure offers, we’ll never have a VA that works for veterans rather than bureaucrats.

Similarly, competition will push the VA to provide top quality care. If veterans don’t feel like the Veterans Health Administration suits their needs, Marco supports giving them the option to use the exact same funds to see an approved private sector provider of their choice.

Marco will also fight to streamline and reform the VA bureaucracy and protect whistleblowers from retaliation.

Education That Works for Vets

Marco’s plans for higher-ed reform will offer veterans more flexible, up-to-date options for higher education, including an emphasis on vocational training.

New approaches to higher education possible thanks to accreditation reform, for instance, can give veterans better opportunities after leaving the service. What a soldier has done in the military — say, driving a truck or running a logistics operation — should help count toward education and professional certifications here at home.

Restoring Military Strength

Marco’s plans to strengthen the military will ensure that our servicemembers will go into battle with the best training and equipment we can offer. Reversing sequestration, and keeping our forces at the levels we need, will mean that veterans aren’t coming home to pink slips. Military benefits systems also need to be examined and updated to make sense in the 21st century economy, to ensure that pensions and other compensation are attracting the very best to the military.

• Lift Union-Imposed Pay Caps on Millions of American Workers: Marco is fighting for the Rewarding Achievement and Incentivizing Successful Employees (RAISE) Act, which removes union-imposed obstacles to pay increases for millions of workers.
  • Expand Options for Workers: Marco supports allowing employers to provide workers with a choice between receiving monetary compensation or paid leave for working overtime.
  • Worker Choice: Marco supports giving all workers the choice over whether or not they join a union.
  • Reform the NLRB: Marco supports reforming the NLRB to ensure that it acts as a neutral arbiter, not an arm of Big Labor to punish the private sector and workers.
  • Reverse the NLRB’s Disastrous “Joint Employer” Decision: The NLRB’s “joint employer” decision will hurt small businesses, especially franchises. Marco supports reversing this disastrous decision and returning control to small businesses.
Pass Tax Reform

Marco has a comprehensive tax reform plan that will cut taxes for working Americans, jumpstart investment, and slash corporate taxes to boost wages.

The nonpartisan Tax Foundation estimates that it will raise wages for all taxpayers and create millions of jobs. Read more about the plan here.

Protect the Sharing Economy

Marco will oppose harmful new mandates, regulations, and taxes that can get in the way of innovative work opportunities provided by the sharing economy. Read more about that here.

Overhaul Higher Education

Marco proposes modernizing our outdated higher education system so that American workers can get the skills they need at an affordable price and in ways compatible with other priorities. Read more about the proposals here.

Unleash American Energy Potential

Making the best use of America’s energy resources provides abundant opportunities for high-paying jobs, many of which don’t even require a college degree. Marco will lift the ban on crude oil exports, allow states to oversee energy production on federal lands, and more. Read about his energy plans here.

Limit Regulatory Overreach

Marco has proposed a national regulatory budget, which will set a limit on the costs that can be imposed by federal regulations overall and by rules from each federal agency. This will roll back regulators’ ability to strangle job creation and restore Congress’s ability to oversee regulation. Read more about the idea here.

RUBIO 2016!

Last edited by a moderator:
As President, Marco will:

Reform the Tax Code to Treat Parents Fairly by:
  • Creating a new $2,500 per child partially refundable tax credit, to allow working parents to keep more of their money and fix the parent tax penalty
  • Ending the marriage tax penalty without penalizing homemakers (Read more about Marco’s tax plan here.)
  • Encouraging more paid leave for new parents, caretakers of ailing loved ones, seriously ill employees, and military families, without harmful mandates or costly new entitlements (Read more about Marco’s paid leave plan here.)
  • Speaking out for traditional American values and against the decline of marriage
  • Allowing states to use anti-poverty dollars on programs that recognize marriage’s crucial role in lifting families out of poverty
Neither of these will happen. If he gets in, it will be business as usual. The guy probably wouldn't even show up for an inauguration.

Id take a $15,000 tax credit, but I don't like that it's only partially refundable. That sounds like crap.

Just to pick one thing.

Currently for an individual to pay any estate tax the value must exceed 5 million or 10 million per couple. Only .2% of all estates pay any taxes. Of those taxed 55% are taxed on unrealized capital gains which means they have never been taxed at all. Repealing it would cost us about 250 billion over the next ten years. Not good policy and is only helpful for one group of people, a group to which you likely don't belong.

Only republican with a chance of being elected President. So I hope he doesn't win the nomination.

Just to pick one thing.

Currently for an individual to pay any estate tax the value must exceed 5 million or 10 million per couple. Only .2% of all estates pay any taxes. Of those taxed 55% are taxed on unrealized capital gains which means they have never been taxed at all. Repealing it would cost us about 250 billion over the next ten years. Not good policy and is only helpful for one group of people, a group to which you likely don't belong.
Always drives me nuts when ordinary people get revved up about the "death tax" because they have absolutely no idea what it really is.

Just to pick one thing.

Always drives me nuts when ordinary people get revved up about the "death tax" because they have absolutely no idea what it really is.
Yep

Just to pick one thing.

Sure the ordinary person knows exactly what it is, its a tax on money that has already been taxed. Thats why most oppose it. It makes no sense.

I am sure that will be a big selling point in attracting independent voters and those under 30. :hophead: Continuing to take the stand that a marriage should be between "one man and one woman" only will help him get the Republican nomination, but being on the wrong side of history will hurt him more than help in the general election.

He doesn't already have a thread?

If I had put a bet down on who the nominee would be a few months ago, it would have been Rubio. I would put double the money down now.

I am sure that will be a big selling point in attracting independent voters and those under 30. :hophead: Continuing to take the stand that a marriage should be between "one man and one woman" only will help him get the Republican nomination, but being on the wrong side of history will hurt him more than help in the general election.
“I believe that marriage, as the key to strong family life, is the most important institution in our society and should be between one man and one woman. People who disagree with the traditional definition of marriage have the right to change their state laws. That is the right of our people, not the right of the unelected judges or justices of the Supreme Court. This decision short-circuits the political process that has been underway on the state level for years.

“While I disagree with this decision, we live in a republic and must abide by the law. As we look ahead, it must be a priority of the next president to nominate judges and justices committed to applying the Constitution as written and originally understood…

“I firmly believe the question of same sex marriage is a question of the definition of an institution, not the dignity of a human being. Every American has the right to pursue happiness as they see fit. Not every American has to agree on every issue, but all of us do have to share our country. A large number of Americans will continue to believe in traditional marriage, and a large number of Americans will be pleased with the Court’s decision today. In the years ahead, it is my hope that each side will respect the dignity of the other.”

Although I disagree with him on a number of issues, my main concern was not listed in your OP: Rubio will, I believe, commit US ground troops to a never ending struggle in Iraq and Syria. He will repudiate Obama's deal with Iran and attempt to bomb their nuclear sites. He will offer a guarantee of Ukraine putting us close to a war with Russia. All of these things I have heard him say he will do.

That being said I will be vastly relieved if he wins the nomination as several of the others are far worse.

Yippee another political thread UGH! Can't this crap and all of the other political garbage be cast off to a separate board

if he can beat Hillary I will vote.. would rather Kasich though..

the rest of the field is bat#### crazy
My thinking as well ...but I believe Rubio has a better chance than Kasich.

jamny, thanks for sharing the info. Very helpful to see the details laid out.

I admire that he support(ed) amnesty. Hopefully that is a policy he will be more vocal about once he gets past the nomination phase.

I liked how he defended Bernie Sanders. I certainly agree he is the only candidate with a chance to challenge Hillary if that #### wins the Democratic nomination.

However, he is Cuban and not sure how much Mexican-Americans will rally behind him.

OTOH, I find his intentions to outlaw abortions in the case of incest and rape troublesome.

OTOH, I find his intentions to outlaw abortions in the case of incest and rape troublesome.
“I believe a human being is entitled to life, irrespective of the circumstances in which that human being was conceived and so forth,” Rubio said. “Now I recognize that other people don’t hold that view and in order to save lives in this country, I have supported bills that had to have exceptions in them, and I know a lot of people who are pro-life but support exceptions because they feel it goes too far.”

I'm pretty moderate on social issues and his stance does bother me but as with the gay marriage issue, I think he mostly speaks of personal opinion but won't stand in the way of public opinion and the law even if they differ from what he believes.

This doesn't bother me at all because he can't do anything about it. Sure he can appoint conservative judges, but any Republican is going to do that so Rubio's particular extreme views on this are irrelevant IMO. I mentioned my concern about foreign policy because he can be decisive in that area.

I am a little concerned with the credit card issue that is being talked about. I don't see it as something that will derail his campaign but it could show that he is at best not very competent at finances to at worst, just another politician using public money for personal needs. I hope the statements show he paid back all personal charges.

I am a little concerned with the credit card issue that is being talked about. I don't see it as something that will derail his campaign but it could show that he is at best not very competent at finances to at worst, just another politician using public money for personal needs. I hope the statements show he paid back all personal charges.
Winston Churchill couldn't handle his finances either. Non-story IMO.

You might be surprised how many professionals are absolutely horrible with personal finance.

I liked how he defended Bernie Sanders. I certainly agree he is the only candidate with a chance to challenge Hillary if that #### wins the Democratic nomination.

However, he is Cuban and not sure how much Mexican-Americans will rally behind him.
I have picked up on some animosity from non-Cuban Latinos towards Cubans. :shrug:

The partisans will hate him even more because he is a Latino playing for the wrong team. However, he might appeal to the average Latino voter more so than a white candidate could ever as long as they do end up perceiving him to be 'one of them'. That kind of connection can go a long way to sway people in their voting.

You might be surprised how many professionals are absolutely horrible with personal finance.
I wouldn't be.

We're not hiring this guy to handle personal finances. We didn't hire the Secretary of State to handle embassy security. People focus on stuff that doesn't matter to the big picture.

Just to pick one thing.

Sure the ordinary person knows exactly what it is, its a tax on money that has already been taxed. Thats why most oppose it. It makes no sense.
You are really driving home the point here.

I wouldn't be.

We're not hiring this guy to handle personal finances. We didn't hire the Secretary of State to handle embassy security. People focus on stuff that doesn't matter to the big picture.
That is not a good analogy.

The Sec of State is responsible for the security of Embassies by law. Something acknowledged by Sec. Clinton back in 2012.

Not that encouraging from one assessment last month:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/10/16/marco-rubio-gop-trouble-winning-hispanic-vote/74013866/

Republicans need more than a Marco Rubio primary win to win over Hispanics

WASHINGTON Republicans who assume Marco Rubio could successfully woo large blocs of Hispanic voters in 2016 could be in for a rude surprise.

The Florida senator, dynamic and bilingual, seems to embody a new generation of Latino leaders. But even if he wins the Republican presidential nomination, experts say, Rubio faces two daunting hurdles: the GOP's anti-immigrant rhetoric and his own retreat from comprehensive immigration reform two years ago.

"I just dont see his ethnic background as a thing that (alone) manages to win Hispanic voters," said Ali Valenzuela, an assistant political science professor for Latino Studies at Princeton University. "Hispanic voters are smarter than that. They actually care about policy. As long as hes not willing to move some distance towards the middle, hes not going to get the Hispanic vote any more than another (GOP) candidate will."

Its a math problem thats bigger than Rubio, the 44-year-old son of Cuban immigrants.

When George W. Bush won re-election in 2004, he captured an estimated 40% of the Hispanic vote a high-water mark for the modern GOP.

But the upswing didn't last. Sen. John McCain of Arizona captured 31% of the Hispanic vote in the 2008 presidential election, and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney pulled in 23% in 2012, according to estimates.

At the same time, Hispanic political clout has grown steadily. The 5.9 million Hispanics who voted in the 2000 presidential election made up 5.3% of ballots cast, census records show. In 2012, 11.2 million Hispanics voted, making up 8.4% of the total.

With white non-Hispanics declining as a share of the electorate, Republicans must capture 42%-47% of the Hispanic vote, an analysis by Seattle-based polling firm Latino Decisions concluded in July.

Rubio's own pollster agrees. Whit Ayres, president of North Star Opinion Research, told reporters earlier this year the GOP nominee "is going to need to be somewhere in the mid-40s, or better, among Hispanic voters."

Experts say that seems increasingly unattainable, given the harsh language and strident policy positions adopted by some GOP candidates.

This doesn't bother me at all because he can't do anything about it. Sure he can appoint conservative judges, but any Republican is going to do that so Rubio's particular extreme views on this are irrelevant IMO.I mentioned my concern about foreign policy because he can be decisive in that area.
there's a lot he can do. He can support defunding PP and he can sign laws that restrict abortion. It sounds like he wants to make these efforts a cornerstone of his administration.

He has a great story that I think a lot of Americans can identify with. And I think it would be great to see a Cuban or Hispanic run for America and for the GOP. Personally to me I think we should have two healthy competitive parties on a presidential level and right now the GOP is just hollowed out in terms of leadership. But he has several flaws, lack of experience a la Obama 08, some poor judgement calls in running and as Senator are a couple I can think of. He is one man in Congress who has put forth an immigration bill and I wish the two parties would sign on so the country can get a plan together as a nation. But he needs a lot of vetting, as do they all.

This doesn't bother me at all because he can't do anything about it. Sure he can appoint conservative judges, but any Republican is going to do that so Rubio's particular extreme views on this are irrelevant IMO.I mentioned my concern about foreign policy because he can be decisive in that area.
there's a lot he can do. He can support defunding PP and he can sign laws that restrict abortion. It sounds like he wants to make these efforts a cornerstone of his administration.
I think he has a record on that in the Florida legislature IIRC, though I can't remember the specifics right now.

Not that encouraging from one assessment last month:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/10/16/marco-rubio-gop-trouble-winning-hispanic-vote/74013866/

Republicans need more than a Marco Rubio primary win to win over Hispanics

WASHINGTON Republicans who assume Marco Rubio could successfully woo large blocs of Hispanic voters in 2016 could be in for a rude surprise.

The Florida senator, dynamic and bilingual, seems to embody a new generation of Latino leaders. But even if he wins the Republican presidential nomination, experts say, Rubio faces two daunting hurdles: the GOP's anti-immigrant rhetoric and his own retreat from comprehensive immigration reform two years ago.

Ding, ding, ding. News alert. Not all Latins or Hispanics are alike. This light bulb may finally appear over the Democrats' collective head should Rubio get the nod.

The idea of Rubio having to explain credit card debt with a career and family as a young man in the face of the megamillionaire Clintons raking in cash from the corporations they regulate is pretty funny.

He has a great story that I think a lot of Americans can identify with. And I think it would be great to see a Cuban or Hispanic run for America and for the GOP. Personally to me I think we should have two healthy competitive parties on a presidential level and right now the GOP is just hollowed out in terms of leadership. But he has several flaws, lack of experience a la Obama 08, some poor judgement calls in running and as Senator are a couple I can think of. He is one man in Congress who has put forth an immigration bill and I wish the two parties would sign on so the country can get a plan together as a nation. But he needs a lot of vetting, as do they all.
Um, like lying about when and why his parents left Cuba? As I recall, he claimed they fled, or were driven out, after Castro took power to avoid Communism. However they actually departed 2-3 earlier when Batista still ruled. Not that big a deal in the scheme of things and perhaps this is no different than Hillary's claim of being named after explorer Edmund Hillary, but along with recent false statements about his credit card usage, suggests that he is prone to mendacity.

Um, like lying about when and why his parents left Cuba? As I recall, he claimed they fled, or were driven out, after Castro took power to avoid Communism. However they actually departed 2-3 earlier when Batista still ruled. Not that big a deal in the scheme of things and perhaps this is no different than Hillary's claim of being named after explorer Edmund Hillary, but along with recent false statements about his credit card usage, suggests that he is prone to mendacity.
Hey, let me say I'm glad we finally both seem to agree that personal background and the lying about such really do matter. I agree let's look at those things.

I don't put the Hillary lying about being named after Edmund by itself as a big deal, it's not really substantive. If you want a comparison though I think she's concocted a fictional story about growing up in a hardscrabble family when that's not the truth at all. She grew up wealthy and her dad was a successful businessman. No shame in that but it's funny how she must consider that a mark of shame for some reason.

As for Rubio, I'm willing to believe you on the Batista thing but could use a link or two. Let's see some homework.

The credit card thing maybe I need to look at more but as I understand it he borrowed heavily when younger to support his family and his career? Am I missing something? I might be but I'm trying to see the scandal in that. When Bill and Hillary were younger they took a loan out from one of the corporations they regulated not to mention the great Tyson futures arrangement.

I would be so ####ed if I ran for the presidency. There would be pages upon pages of white lies I have told over the years. My wife would for sure seek a divorce

Hey, let me say I'm glad we finally both seem to agree that personal background and the lying about such really do matter. I agree let's look at those things.

I don't put the Hillary lying about being named after Edmund by itself as a big deal, it's not really substantive. If you want a comparison though I think she's concocted a fictional story about growing up in a hardscrabble family when that's not the truth at all. She grew up wealthy and her dad was a successful businessman. No shame in that but it's funny how she must consider that a mark of shame for some reason.

As for Rubio, I'm willing to believe you on the Batista thing but could use a link or two. Let's see some homework.

The credit card thing maybe I need to look at more but as I understand it he borrowed heavily when younger to support his family and his career? Am I missing something? I might be but I'm trying to see the scandal in that. When Bill and Hillary were younger they took a loan out from one of the corporations they regulated not to mention the great Tyson futures arrangement.
As Speaker of the Florida House he was issued an AMEX credit card for business expenses. He used it for personal reasons as well but claims to have paid back each of those personal expenses separately each month as the bill came in. There are some discrepancies and not all of the statements have been released. In the past, he said he wouldn't release them all but now says he will in the next few weeks.

As Speaker of the Florida House he was issued an AMEX credit card for business expenses. He used it for personal reasons as well but claims to have paid back each of those personal expenses separately each month as the bill came in. There are some discrepancies and not all of the statements have been released. In the past, he said he wouldn't release them all but now says he will in the next few weeks.
Coming from Louisiana that's a familiar story, yeah I'm not a fan of that but my guess is that's a regular occurrence in the Fla legislature if it's anything like here. That's also on par with using campaign funds for personal use which is so common it's hardly ever noticed, though I wish it was. - He should release the statements or reimbursement requests IMO.

- btw - I had no idea he was Speaker of the Fla House.

Yes there is some question about his use of a GOP state credit card for personal expenses, which his campaign has said an explanation is forthcoming next week:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/11/rubio-release-credit-card-records

Rubio Will Release Records of GOP Credit Card He Used for Personal Expenses

One of the big question marks hanging over Marco Rubio's financial past may soon be answered. On Tuesday, the senator's presidential campaign agreed to release records detailing his use of a Florida Republican Party credit card from his time in the state House.

For years, Rubio's political career has been haunted by his misuse of a credit card issued by the state partyraising question about his finances and his ethics. When he ran for the US Senate in 2010, Florida reporters obtained his credit card records for 2007 and 2008, which showed that Rubio often used the party card to cover personal expenses, from a $7.09 charge at a Chick-fil-A to $10,000 for a family vacation in Georgia. Rubio has repeatedly contended that he paid the party back every month for any personal expenses he put on the party American Express card, but records show Rubio did not make monthly payments, including any repayments during a six-month stretch in 2007.

But two years of records, from 2005 and 2006, have remained secret. As he runs for president, questions about Rubio's credit card use have mounted. Marco Rubio has a disaster on his finances," rival Donald Trump charged on Tuesday, urging the press to take a closer look at Rubio's credit cards. "He has a disaster on his credit cards."

So after years of hiding his 2005 and 2006 records, Rubio has finally agreed to release them. In response to repeated requests for the records from the Tampa Bay Times, the campaign said this week that it would release the missing records soonpossibly in the coming months.

Candidates often have to weigh whether the information contained in their records is more harmful than the bad publicity that comes from speculation over what they are hiding. (Think Mitt Romney and his tax returns in 2012, or Hillary Clinton and her emails this year.) Rubio has apparently made the calculation that whatever his credit card records contain is less harmful than weathering continued attacks about his secrecy. We'll know soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread