What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A big win for fantasy football! No more DFS in NY! (1 Viewer)

Not sure how it's a win for traditional fantasy football.

TV and radio networks are carrying extra fantasy programming because of DFS.

Besides, who's to say that some state DA doesn't try to throw the baby out with the bath water and go after traditional FF?

So because you don't like the ads that pay for the FREE media you consume, you want some psychopathic parasite to point guns at peaceful people who are spending their money voluntarily?

So because you don't like the ads that pay for the FREE media you consume, you want some psychopathic parasite to point guns at peaceful people who are spending their money voluntarily?
Voluntarily? There is a guy up thread who spoke about putting money back in if he needed to. Doesn't sound voluntary to me. Sounds more like an addiction. Your hyperbole also sounds like something an addict would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a ridiculous comment which has already been trashed in another thread. Why do you keep pounding the drum?

Ousting DFS won't put a hamper on any season-long fantasy leagues; they're the equivalent of a home poker game and don't bear a resemblance to gambling. In my view, the surcharge or "rake" to participate is a key issue - the house taking a cut of all action played. Synonymously, a home poker game where the host takes a "rake" is illegal.

Voluntarily? There is a guy up thread who spoke about putting money back in if he needed to. Doesn't sound voluntary to me. Sounds more like an addiction. Your hyperbole also sounds like something an addict would say.
Because anyone who plays decides of his own free will to enter his credit card number. Hence, the action is voluntary.

This is a ridiculous comment which has already been trashed in another thread. Why do you keep pounding the drum?
Pounding the drum?

Just stating the facts, ma'am.
Except that you're not. As I've pointed out to you before, NFL Red Zone is a premium service. Verizon charges $70 for it. Guess what? Draft Kings ads.

The restaurant industry used to allow cigarette smokers in their restaurants. In your world, you just stop going out to eat. Thankfully, there are other types of people in this world that complained and forced positive change in the industry.

Have to laugh at the daily sites advertising on the Fantasy Sports channel on Sirius/xm. Talk about a waste of money, 98% of the people tuning in are already playing most likely.

Overkill is going kill daily fantasy....it was fun two or three years ago, now it is becoming a nuisance.

Why do the adds bother people so much? I don't play daily FF so while the ads don't interest me, they also don't bother me.

Of course I realize that the ads are prevalent, but are people upset that they are taking advertising time away from Budweiser, Mercedes Benz and McDonald's? It's not like the football games (or other television programming) would be commercial and sponsor free if DraftKings didn't exist. The venom directed at daily fantasy sites is a weird phenomenon. It's almost like us traditional fantasy football players want to protect our turf from mainstream acceptance of the game.

Why do the adds bother people so much? I don't play daily FF so while the ads don't interest me, they also don't bother me.

Of course I realize that the ads are prevalent, but are people upset that they are taking advertising time away from Budweiser, Mercedes Benz and McDonald's? It's not like the football games (or other television programming) would be commercial and sponsor free if DraftKings didn't exist. The venom directed at daily fantasy sites is a weird phenomenon. It's almost like us traditional fantasy football players want to protect our turf from mainstream acceptance of the game.
I stopped playing DFS this year because of the level of annoying the ads became. I'm not even kidding.

I stopped playing DFS this year because of the level of annoying the ads became. I'm not even kidding.
Which commercials would you rather see?

Hardees commercials with hot chicks, instead of fake grizzley dudes in sweaters saying things we already know to us, like we dont know Draft Kings and Fan Duel exists. I can look at burgers and chicks all day man.

I hope they ban car insurance, alcohol, and fast food. I can't stand those commercials and need more government in my life.

Some of you sound like winey children. Someone please post a LEGITIMATE reason about how DFS negatively affects your life, and how it's beyond your control. People actually wishing an industry become destroyed that actually provides harmless entertainment and excitement in people's lives. Has anyone considered the people that might lose their jobs because of more needless government restrictions?

Hardees commercials with hot chicks, instead of fake grizzley dudes in sweaters saying things we already know to us, like we dont know Draft Kings and Fan Duel exists. I can look at burgers and chicks all day man.
Good point. FanDuel could use some hot chicks in their ads if they want men to appreciate them more. I mean the only chick in any of them is that mountain of a woman that lifts the waiter up with ease after her victory. If instead they had some hot chick in a bikini lounging in a kiddie pool that jumps up and down after her FanDuel victory, all of a sudden their would be far less complaints about that add showing up after every extra point.

I hope they ban car insurance, alcohol, and fast food. I can't stand those commercials and need more government in my life.

Some of you sound like winey children. Someone please post a LEGITIMATE reason about how DFS negatively affects your life, and how it's beyond your control. People actually wishing an industry become destroyed that actually provides harmless entertainment and excitement in people's lives. Has anyone considered the people that might lose their jobs because of more needless government restrictions?
I love playing DFS. It effects me in no way, except when I win or lose the few bucks I play with. But it is gambling and needs to be regulated, if you think a company with billions and billions of dollars flowing through it is on the up and up, then you dont live in the same world I do. We have already seen insider issues and know for the fact their is a certain type of player that is able to dominate these week in and week out and escape the luck factor involved if you know where i am going.

The commercials themselves are ridiculous, over reaching and annoying, if I sound whiny for saying so, oh well. As a person who used to be in advertising, having as much money to spend on the amount of commercials they put out is a HUGE HUGE red flag in the end game of all this. I have heard they spend more than Coke and McDonalds did on advertising this year. I have not found the story of it, but here is the pacing of Draft Kings and Fan Duel after just week 1, now imagine that for every week and then some for this year. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/draftkings-spent-more-money-on-tv-ads-than-any-other-company-in-the-past-week.html

I may sound callus but I am not worried about the people losing their jobs at these DFS places? Maybe they can live off the money they won from cheating at this like we all know they are.

I love playing DFS. It effects me in no way, except when I win or lose the few bucks I play with. But it is gambling and needs to be regulated, if you think a company with billions and billions of dollars flowing through it on the up and up, then you dont live in the same world I do. We have already seen insider issues and know for the fact their is a certain type of player that is able to dominate these week in and week out and escape the luck factor involved if you know where i am going.

The commercials themselves are ridiculous, over reaching and annoying, if I sound whiny for saying so, oh well. As a person who used to be in advertising, having as much money to spend on the amount of commercials they put out is a HUGE HUGE red flag in the end game of all this. I have heard they spend more than Coke and McDonalds did on advertising this year. I have not found the story of it, but here is the pacing of Draft Kinds and Fan Duel after just week 1, now imagine that for every week and then some for this year. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/draftkings-spent-more-money-on-tv-ads-than-any-other-company-in-the-past-week.html

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/draftkings-spent-more-money-on-tv-ads-than-any-other-company-in-the-past-week.html
2 different arguments. Regulation is welcome, and the industry would benefit from it. Most people agree on needing regulation.

What's absurd is wishing the industry would dissappear and be banned outright (like poker). Thanks what I'm arguing.

I love playing DFS. It effects me in no way, except when I win or lose the few bucks I play with. But it is gambling and needs to be regulated, if you think a company with billions and billions of dollars flowing through it on the up and up, then you dont live in the same world I do. We have already seen insider issues and know for the fact their is a certain type of player that is able to dominate these week in and week out and escape the luck factor involved if you know where i am going.

The commercials themselves are ridiculous, over reaching and annoying, if I sound whiny for saying so, oh well. As a person who used to be in advertising, having as much money to spend on the amount of commercials they put out is a HUGE HUGE red flag in the end game of all this. I have heard they spend more than Coke and McDonalds did on advertising this year. I have not found the story of it, but here is the pacing of Draft Kinds and Fan Duel after just week 1, now imagine that for every week and then some for this year. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/draftkings-spent-more-money-on-tv-ads-than-any-other-company-in-the-past-week.html

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/draftkings-spent-more-money-on-tv-ads-than-any-other-company-in-the-past-week.html
2 different arguments. Regulation is welcome, and the industry would benefit from it. Most people agree on needing regulation.

What's absurd is wishing the industry would dissappear and be banned outright (like poker). Thanks what I'm arguing.
I want it to stay, but your argument poking at those who dislike it for whatever reason isnt valid. Just like those who played poker, you may like it, but peoples dilike for it was valid. It was fixed a lot and had big time cheaters. I think it is proven they are saturating to the point of annoyance and that it is a crooked industry at this point. The numbers and issues right now pretty much prove that.

To answer the first part of your question.

People are too sensitive and if something bothers them they would rather throw a look at me fit then just ignore it and go on their way, because if it bothers them it obviously is bad for everyone and needs to be destroyed.

See I'm conflicted. I like DFS, but I also like really dumb arguments.

Because anyone who plays decides of his own free will to enter his credit card number. Hence, the action is voluntary.
So you think meth addicts are voluntarily putting that needle in their arm?

One. Nothing wrong with acknowledging it's gambling.

Two. Should be a clean transparent game.

Three. The league (this is my surprised face) was/is getting way too cozy with DFS. Kraft, Jones and whoever else should have to sever ties. Right now.

To answer the first part of your question.

People are too sensitive and if something bothers them they would rather throw a look at me fit then just ignore it and go on their way, because if it bothers them it obviously is bad for everyone and needs to be destroyed.
I dont think the industry should be dissolved, believe me I am all for laissez-faire economics. All I'm trying to say is the ads are beyond obnoxious.

It's clear they are making a killing on the 'rake' and that for the average player it is nothing more than throwing money at a few lottery tickets. It's gambling. Now we can all continue on with our day (Draft Kings and Fan Duel ad-free preferably).

You cant beat the rake in H2H or 50/50 as the number of iterations approach infinity.

You can beat the system if you play 1,000+ games per week and have propietary info on line-ups.

You can beat the rake if you win one of the large tournaments.

Why can I do all of this (empty my bank account If i so please), but I can't put $20 on the MNF money line?

The ads aren't just about being annoying, they're borderline predatory. The fact that they're in subscriber emails that people are paying for access to are doubly bad.

Really though, it's just a violation of trust. The way DFS works is that most people lose money. Most people that FBGs redirects over there aren't the super dedicated crowd that runs their computer algorithms and comes out on top, and most probably aren't even here posting in the SP and reading up on things. Most people are losers paying the couple of big fish. And really, I'm sure FBG is ok with that because the way DFS affiliates work is that FBG not only makes money on your initial deposit, but also on your re-buys. Yes, FBG makes more money when you lose than when you win, and most people they're sending over there are losing.

Like I said, it's a violation of trust. People pay their $30/year subscription fee so FBG can guide them to do well at fantasy football. FBGs used to do that. Now they're taking that $30 subscription fee and, rather than seeing it as money earned in exchange for FF knowledge, they see it as an opportunity for a new lead that they can make even more money off of at the subscribers expense. Subscribers are putting their trust in the FBG staff, and the FBG staff is intentionally leading them into a situation where they will probably lose money so that FBGs can get in on the DFS profits. It's scummy, scammy, and low. Not how I would have described FBGs two years ago, but probably a fair analysis now. This is made doubly bad by the email Dodds sent out recently (again, including paying subscribers) to sign the petition to save DFS under the completely made up guise that yearly fantasy was going to go down with it. Insulting.

The faster DFS dies and I can quit being lambasted by predatory ads from formerly trusted FBGs telling me how easily I can become a millionaire if I just throw $100 this way the same way that a porn site advertises that there are women in my area looking to score with me, the better.

I didn't care about their regular commercials, but I did have a problem with ESPN's NFL programming morphing into DraftKings live-action commercials.

Cant help but think they brought this on themselves by way, way oversaturating the ad channels. How couldnthey not foresee a backlash for that and all the potential collateral damage you can fall into by annoying people on a national level with a product that is operating in a grey area legally? Wouldnt you want to tread lightly and build slowly and deliberately without making it a cause for power vulture opportunists? Why didnt this happen last year? what is different. The ads. this was foreseeable and they blew it.

I don't think it's gambling in the sense that you're playing against the house and the odds are stacked against you because I do believe that there is a "skill" to it and it lies in the mathematics similar to poker. The problem is that it just grew too big too fast and without the proper controls, safeguards and yes although I hate to say it, regulation. There's too much money involved and the temptation is too great to use that information to your advantage. I'm not stupid enough to think that people still won't try and take advantage but it should be spelled out what the penalties are when you do steal data and sell it or use it for your benefit.

The ads aren't just about being annoying, they're borderline predatory. The fact that they're in subscriber emails that people are paying for access to are doubly bad.

Really though, it's just a violation of trust. The way DFS works is that most people lose money. Most people that FBGs redirects over there aren't the super dedicated crowd that runs their computer algorithms and comes out on top, and most probably aren't even here posting in the SP and reading up on things. Most people are losers paying the couple of big fish. And really, I'm sure FBG is ok with that because the way DFS affiliates work is that FBG not only makes money on your initial deposit, but also on your re-buys. Yes, FBG makes more money when you lose than when you win, and most people they're sending over there are losing.

Like I said, it's a violation of trust. People pay their $30/year subscription fee so FBG can guide them to do well at fantasy football. FBGs used to do that. Now they're taking that $30 subscription fee and, rather than seeing it as money earned in exchange for FF knowledge, they see it as an opportunity for a new lead that they can make even more money off of at the subscribers expense. Subscribers are putting their trust in the FBG staff, and the FBG staff is intentionally leading them into a situation where they will probably lose money so that FBGs can get in on the DFS profits. It's scummy, scammy, and low. Not how I would have described FBGs two years ago, but probably a fair analysis now. This is made doubly bad by the email Dodds sent out recently (again, including paying subscribers) to sign the petition to save DFS under the completely made up guise that yearly fantasy was going to go down with it. Insulting.

The faster DFS dies and I can quit being lambasted by predatory ads from formerly trusted FBGs telling me how easily I can become a millionaire if I just throw $100 this way the same way that a porn site advertises that there are women in my area looking to score with me, the better.
This will never ever happen.

12 of us can always hold a draft party, and keep score reading box scores.

Like we did for 15 years before the internet and computers did that score keeping for us.

Season long fantasy will always be here as long as we have people willing to get together and draft and someone to commish and keep scores. Pretty simple concept.

Personally, I don't care about Fandual and Draft Kings....who cares. But it does need regulation. It is absolutely gambling just like season long fantasy. So if you want to regulate DFS go ahead. I don't give a ####.

And season long fantasy is fine. As long as we have hosting sites like MFL which is what they do. Provide a service to host, and keep score for leagues (that we pay money to be in and win which IMO is gambling).....who cares.

If it puts a damper into business's getting their hand into the bilion dollar industry of a game we stared playing around 1988.....#### them. I will still play FF. I don't need any company to accomplish playing season long fantasy. They just make it far more easy and convenient to run a league. But I can live without all of them if they go under. Season long FF will always survive.

But yeah.....the DFS commercials suck ### and are pure overkill and are simply a human annoyance. But nothing to lose sleep over.

It will soon become regulated. It has too. It is simply something that will and should. It is gambling. Vegas has rules, any state that has legalized gambling has rules and regulations......so should DFS. The free ride is over and these giants will have to have some oversight.

BTW Disney purchased Draft kings for oodles of cash......but they are the beacon of family entertainment? LMFAO what a joke they have become. Total hypocrites. The have the biggest anti-gambling lobby in the state of Florida. Total hypocrisy.

I don't have any issues with gambling. I love to gamble. Been doing it since I was 12 years old when my dad was my bookie and taught me about money management and how to gamble in a responsible and reasonable manner. But it should be regulated like all other gambling is across our country.

No biggie.

Cant help but think they brought this on themselves by way, way oversaturating the ad channels. How couldnthey not foresee a backlash for that and all the potential collateral damage you can fall into by annoying people on a national level with a product that is operating in a grey area legally? Wouldnt you want to tread lightly and build slowly and deliberately without making it a cause for power vulture opportunists? Why didnt this happen last year? what is different. The ads. this was foreseeable and they blew it.
This

I want it to stay, but your argument poking at those who dislike it for whatever reason isnt valid. Just like those who played poker, you may like it, but peoples dilike for it was valid. It was fixed a lot and had big time cheaters. I think it is proven they are saturating to the point of annoyance and that it is a crooked industry at this point. The numbers and issues right now pretty much prove that.
Do people who like it cause problems for people who dislike it? Sounds like it's the other way around.

How exactly is has it been proven that it's a crooked industry? Because skilled players who put more time, effort, and money into it win more prizes?

I'm happy that NY took this stance. I'm not against DFS--I hope that it exists but that it gets regulated the exact same way that gambling does. The DFS industry has taken a game that was originally designed to be season long and converted it into a massively monetizing "casino" version that promotes repetitive betting and "buy ins". The DFS industry tried to use a season long fantasy football legal carve out to loophole their way into avoiding the regulations involving gambling---but it was their own unmititaged gall that led to things changing today. They spent tens/hundreds of millions of dollars promoting their "cloaked casinos" in every form of media possible--drawing the attention of about everybody. They had a hard time self regulating themselves in regards to maintaining/or appearing to maintain a fair and even playing field for the vast majority of players. I'm not a fan of big government or over-regulation---but I do believe that fair is fair. If others in the casino/gaming industry are forced to comply with specific regulations--DFS needs to as well. Lastly--I'm not ready to blame the government on this one. When you have a business that is obviously taking advantage of a legal loophole--it'd probably be a great idea for that company to try to operate under the radar and to limit the number of feathers they ruffle. Instead these businesses did the exact opposite. They prostituted themselves to consumers as visibly as possible through gobs of advertising. They didn't give the government a choice but to get involved.

Gambling shouldn't be illegal either. Regulation is good for the industry, won't argue against that at all. But someone else not being able to control themselves shouldn't impact my ability to enjoy something that I can afford to do for fun. They need treatment because whether it's DFS, slot machines or flipping coins, they're going to gamble.

agree completely. they got too greedy for a huge landgrab of suckers as opposed to a more slow and steady approach. When I'm seeing billboards blanketing entire train stations, on the sides of hot dog carts, and non stop commercials every commercial break on nearly every channel it's going to draw attention of many of the people you don't want to attract the attention of....politicians, gov't officials who have different motivations. They see $$$$$$...if they are spending that kind of money that quickly they have to be making a fortune so how can they get in on it. It's the reality of the world we live in and they should have anticipated it....maybe by making deals with Robert Kraft's of the world they thought that may shield them but they definitely overplayed their hand.

This
Not when a giant media and entertainment company like Disney got their hands on Draft Kings.....that signaled to me this was going to be huge.......it all started with Draft Kings going global. FanDual needs to keep up so they are having ad wars now.

I don't play daily fantasy sports because I focus all my efforts on winning the one league I am in. I don't do this for the money but enjoyment - though winning is a nice perk. That said, this is not great for the fantasy sports industry overall. It could open the door to the government shutting down fantasy websites of any kind down the road. Today it's the daily leagues, but then where does the spotlight turn? Is DFS a form of gambling or a game of skill? Either way I want the government no where near this.

Gambling shouldn't be illegal either. Regulation is good for the industry, won't argue against that at all. But someone else not being able to control themselves shouldn't impact my ability to enjoy something that I can afford to do for fun. They need treatment because whether it's DFS, slot machines or flipping coins, they're going to gamble.
Regulation is good for some things. Safer medications? Sure. Food safety? Sure. Fantasy sports? Not convinced. Let's have less government and return their focus to ways they can keep society safe.

Agree with you that treatment is the most appropriate way to handle any addiction.

This
They brought it on themselves by not self policing their employees and placing them at greater risk for certain bad apples to use inside information to their advantage. It's equivalent to insider trading.

As soon as the DFS sites work out a deal with the states and give them a cut it will be back to business as usually. This is about money, it's always about the money.

Regulation is good for some things. Safer medications? Sure. Food safety? Sure. Fantasy sports? Not convinced. Let's have less government and return their focus to ways they can keep society safe.

Agree with you that treatment is the most appropriate way to handle any addiction.
so people on the inside should be able to get information on ownership levels and use that to their advantage? It's no different than insider trading and there's plenty of regulation on that front.

:goodposting:

Great posting actually!

Users who are viewing this thread