What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone ever grill a turkey? (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
i'm thinking about doing an 18lb turkey on the grill instead of the oven, saves space and might as well use the grill, right?

never done it though, so looking for tips if anyone has ideas. Its a modern gas grill with 3 burners and lots of room. I'll be brining this thing for sure.

i'm thinking about doing an 18lb turkey on the grill instead of the oven, saves space and might as well use the grill, right?

never done it though, so looking for tips if anyone has ideas. Its a modern gas grill with 3 burners and lots of room. I'll be brining this thing for sure.
Just cook it indirect heat, 300-325 by placing the bird on one side of the grill and using the burners on the other side of the grill. about 15-20 minutes a LB should work at that temp but to be sure just pull the bird when the internal for white is 145-150 and the dark is around 165-170.

I did it and would not ever do it again. I researched the hell out of it, watched a bunch of videos, brined it, seasoned it, treated it like an antique heirloom and eagerly anticipated this being the greatest turkey in the world. It was, in a word, meh. I oven roasted one the next year and it not only was much easier but tasted better overall. Your mileage may vary, but it was a ton of work for mediocre turkey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it and would not ever do it again. I researched the hell out of it, watched a bunch of videos, brined it, seasoned it, treated it like an antique heirloom and eagerly anticipated this being the greatest turkey in the world. It was, in a word, meh. I oven roasted one the next year and it not only was much easier but tasted better overall. Your mileage may vary, but it was a ton of work for mediocre turkey.
:goodposting:

arggh, did you do it with charcoal or gas? now i'm worried.

one year i used a poultry bag and cooked it in the oven. about 1/4 of the inner part of the bird was bloody. apparently i didn't thaw it out enough.

me, serving:

"would you like well done, medium rare, or bloody?"

Occasionally I grill one instead of smoking it. I use my charcoal grill instead of the gas. I put a drip pan down with some apple slices and water in it. I surround the drip pan with a ring of briquettes. I light only a small section and then allow the ring to catch in sequence all the way around. That takes hours, about the cooking time I'm looking for. I then put down a grate to hold maybe ten briquettes, pre-started in a chimney. These go directly beneath the grate the bird is on so that some of the drippings ignite giving it a distinctly grilled flavor. The briquettes directly beneath the bird need to be replenished sparingly. too many and you may get a grease fire causing the temp to rise too high.

Delicious way to make a bird. Oh, I place bacon strips over the breast and tent the bird when I do it this way. Also, avoid looking in on it more than once an hour to quickly replace/replenish the briquettes below the bird. the others should last long enough if your bird is unstuffed and less than say 18 pounds.

Occasionally I grill one instead of smoking it. I use my charcoal grill instead of the gas. I put a drip pan down with some apple slices and water in it. I surround the drip pan with a ring of briquettes. I light only a small section and then allow the ring to catch in sequence all the way around. That takes hours, about the cooking time I'm looking for. I then put down a grate to hold maybe ten briquettes, pre-started in a chimney. These go directly beneath the grate the bird is on so that some of the drippings ignite giving it a distinctly grilled flavor. The briquettes directly beneath the bird need to be replenished sparingly. too many and you may get a grease fire causing the temp to rise too high.

Delicious way to make a bird. Oh, I place bacon strips over the breast and tent the bird when I do it this way. Also, avoid looking in on it more than once an hour to quickly replace/replenish the briquettes below the bird. the others should last long enough if your bird is unstuffed and less than say 18 pounds.
This is like reading Penthouse forum when I was younger.

I've grilled my turkey every year for the past 12 years. It's awesome. I'll post more later.

This. I would also consider buying a motor and spit to rotate the turkey over the grill if you have a decent sized grill with a hinged lid. If you go this route, research how to bind and balance the turkey. I'd also baste with a butter/wine/terragon mix that you make on the stove, or some other basting mix that sounds good to you. Also, put foil on parts of the bird that are browning/blackening too early. When you get turkey grilling down, it's very good.

I'm assuming you are putting stuffing in the bird, since we are mostly savages on this board. I'm not in agreeance with these modern notions that say its unsafe. People saying this should be ignored and shunned to the kiddie table. If you check your temps, you will be fine.

ETA: I meant to quote and agree with DW. I think I got a little excited thinking about the turkey...well, that last part doesn't sound right, but I'll let it stand.

This. I would also consider buying a motor and spit to rotate the turkey over the grill if you have a decent sized grill with a hinged lid. If you go this route, research how to bind and balance the turkey. I'd also baste with a butter/wine/terragon mix that you make on the stove, or some other basting mix that sounds good to you. Also, put foil on parts of the bird that are browning/blackening too early. When you get turkey grilling down, it's very good.

I'm assuming you are putting stuffing in the bird, since we are mostly savages on this board. I'm not in agreeance with these modern notions that say its unsafe. People saying this should be ignored and shunned to the kiddie table. If you check your temps, you will be fine.
i make the stuffing seperately, don't stuff the bird. It tends to cook a little faster if you leave the cavity open.

and then we have vegetarians in the family so I have to make two stuffings, one is just bread and seasoning, the other is cornbread stuffing with italian sausage.

one year i used a poultry bag and cooked it in the oven. about 1/4 of the inner part of the bird was bloody. apparently i didn't thaw it out enough.

me, serving:

Gas grill. Took a lot longer than I thought it would. Oven roasting a turkey is easy....so easy, I can't screw it up. But grilling it was work and it just wasn't worth it in the end for me.

We let it take a long time, but I hear you. Especially with vegetarians in the mix. We cook it slow for a long time. Lots of basting and fiddling with strings and weights. That's half the fun for us with a beer in hand. The men in my family like to stand around with beers and try to out-grill each other, and offer lots of up-close and annoying suggestions in the most delicate of moments to whoever is actually doing the real work.

Eta: ok. That was to tommyboy. Quotes aren't quoting for me. Oh, well

Doing the turkey outside has the added advantage of being able to get away from the relatives, have a drink and a smoke, and clear my head.

ex.

FIL: Id like to discuss why the federal government was wrong to prosecute Wesley Snipes for tax evasion. You know, don't you, that the federal income tax was never lawfully adopted?

Me: Much as I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter (Thinking all the while to myself 'You crazy old coot!') I have to check on the bird.

Ideally it is cold enough outside, or even snowing, so that no one wants to come out with me.

I used my propane grill to smoke a turkey

worked great but the skin was crappy, and i love me some turkey skin

me, serving:

ok

thawing it is step 1 of a good bird

and if you have not started you are too late

step 2 is brining

if you do those most cooking methods work. a turkey bag is a pretty easy way to cook a nice bird

Doing the turkey outside has the added advantage of being able to get away from the relatives, have a drink and a smoke, and clear my head.

ex.

FIL: Id like to discuss why the federal government was wrong to prosecute Wesley Snipes for tax evasion. You know, don't you, that the federal income tax was never lawfully adopted?

Me: Much as I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter (Thinking all the while to myself 'You crazy old coot!') I have to check on the bird.

Ideally it is cold enough outside, or even snowing, so that no one wants to come out with me.
Deep Frying would do the same for you and taste much, much, much better.

me, serving:

ok

thawing it is step 1 of a good bird

and if you have not started you are too late

step 2 is brining

if you do those most cooking methods work. a turkey bag is a pretty easy way to cook a nice bird
yeah, that was my first ever thanksgiving bird, so naturally i f'd up. since then, every year i buy a fresh turkey and brine it. normally i just do the oven roast but am wanting to try something different

ex.

I've heard that. I may try it some day. I have suggested it for Thanksgiving, but my wife and daughter like the tradition of getting it the same way I have always done it. Tradition is part of the holiday.

When I do try it I will try to not be the goofball who drops it in wet or frozen and who then causes a fire from the over-boiling hot oil.

ex.

I've heard that. I may try it some day. I have suggested it for Thanksgiving, but my wife and daughter like the tradition of getting it the same way I have always done it. tradition is part of the holiday.

When I do try it I will try to not be the goofball who drops it in wet or frozen and who then causes a fire from the over-boiling hot oil.
Just make sure you have some one taking a video, in case that happens! You know, for us. :whistle:

I've done it the last 3 years on my gas grill using this recipe:

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/06/29/rotisserie-chicken-smoked-on-a-gas-grill-thats-right-smoked-on-a-gas-grill/

Everyone has liked it a lot and they tell me to keep doing it. I don't use the Rotissere. I have a 4 burner grill so I turn the 2 outside burners on and set the bird in the middle breast up. Has worked great, very good flavor and very juicy.

One point I will make is depending on where you live keep a close eye on the forecast. One year I did it when it was cold so it took longer than planned. Next year was warmer so the bird was done much earlier than I wanted.

ex.

Doesn't that shave an hour or two off the cooking time? It seems that completely defeats the purpose.

I smoke to an internal temp of about 110 and then pull and put in the oven. By doing this, I get some smoky drippings into my gravy and the gravy is a little smoky. Absolutely outstanding.

The other great benefit of grilling the turkey -- My wife will plan everything and do all the shopping, she'll clean the entire house and prepare a dozen side dishes, keep the kids on track all day and will likely bear the brunt of the cleaning. I'll watch football and stand by the grill, drinking and smoking all day long, will hardly mingle with the guests and will likely be in a surely mood for one arbitrary reason or another. And yet, because I manned the grill, all the guests will compliment and congratulate me on the meal. She'll get nothing. I soak it up. This could be my favorite part.

Here are some step-by-step instructions on doing the bacon weave to place over the turkey breast.
Oh nice. I was wondering how they did it.
I happened to see it on FB and was going to post it anyway, and it fit with your post! Looks fascinating, I will have to try it with a bird sometime soon. Not cooking Thanksgiving this year.

Here are some step-by-step instructions on doing the bacon weave to place over the turkey breast.
Oh nice. I was wondering how they did it.
I happened to see it on FB and was going to post it anyway, and it fit with your post! Looks fascinating, I will have to try it with a bird sometime soon. Not cooking Thanksgiving this year.
I'm not doing TG this year. When you try it definitely post. Bacon fat I would think would make it more moist than any basting oil/butter mix would.

pros & cons to whatever. I like the outside deal w/ a smoke & drink, w/ football broadcast ringing through the slider. Also like the no f---up deal where you put the turkey in an oven bag-throw in oven-go outside w/ smoke & drink & walla!

Really no downside to either, but the f---up factor is in play w/ the grill.

ex.

Doesn't that shave an hour or two off the cooking time? It seems that completely defeats the purpose.
hmmmnnn.... good point.

Or he could say that he still needs to make sure it is completely thawed which would give him EXTRA time.

I grill every year. The first few years I just tossed the darn thing on my gas grill, closed the lid, and it came out great. Now I brine, rub, inject, throw crap inside it, and anything else I can think of. They always come out great.

I think I'm going to try "beer can turkey" this year. I've done beer can chicken several times, and it's awesome. I'm wondering why it won't work on a turkey. It might be weird to stand the turkey up on the grill, but I think I'm going to give it a go.

I smoke to an internal temp of about 110 and then pull and put in the oven. By doing this, I get some smoky drippings into my gravy and the gravy is a little smoky. Absolutely outstanding.
My plan tomorrow, since I won't have my Big Green Egg to cook it in at the folks' place, is to start on the propane grill smoking with this filled with traeger pellets for flavor, then to finish in the oven. It's already spoochquacked and dry brining. Will inject the breast with a bit of butter when I get un-lazy enough to get off the couch.

Decided to bake in oven. Gonna be right around freezing so the grill might take extra couple hrs and don't want to eff it up

So, I dry brined, never tried that before, I did the bacon wrap on the breast, never done that before, and I convection cooked in the oven, never done that before.

I was really nervous that I'd #### it up.

After 2hrs, I took the bird out and put the thermometer in the thigh. Thing races to 180 degrees. Argggh, I burned this thing. So I probe the breast, 180 degrees, yuck, back to lower thigh, 180 degrees. #### it this birds gonna taste like chalk. So I set it on the table to cool and go to work on the gravy. 90 mins later everyone shows up to eat and I am dreading carving this turd.

Holy ####, its perfect. I mean restaurant quality delicious. The breast is tender, juicy as hell and very flavorful. The skin is crispy and browned, the leg and thigh meat is dripping and tender. I have never had turkey that good. I will do this exactly the same every year from now on.

So, I dry brined, never tried that before, I did the bacon wrap on the breast, never done that before, and I convection cooked in the oven, never done that before.

After 2hrs, I took the bird out and put the thermometer in the thigh. Thing races to 180 degrees. Argggh, I burned this thing. So I probe the breast, 180 degrees, yuck, back to lower thigh, 180 degrees. #### it this birds gonna taste like chalk. So I set it on the table to cool and go to work on the gravy. 90 mins later everyone shows up to eat and I am dreading carving this turd.

Holy ####, its perfect. I mean restaurant quality delicious. The breast is tender, juicy as hell and very flavorful. The skin is crispy and browned, the leg and thigh meat is dripping and tender. I have never had turkey that good. I will do this exactly the same every year from now on.
Congrats! Sounds wonderful.

tommyboy said:

I dry brined and cooked in the smoker. Separated dark meat, pulled it at 160. Pulled the breast at 140. I didn't do anything except dry brine and smoke over apple wood. I was pleased. :thumbup:

I think the dry brine may be a really, really big deal.

tommyboy said:

maybe the details are elsewhere but:

how big a bird?

How long brine?

What temp. cooked at?

Anything else we should know?

Thanks dude, will do this next year just remember to bump this at the appropriate time!

tommyboy said:

Can I come next year? :thumbup:

tommyboy said:

maybe the details are elsewhere but:how big a bird?

How long brine?

What temp. cooked at?

Anything else we should know?

Thanks dude, will do this next year just remember to bump this at the appropriate time!
I posted it in Time to Brine thread

tommyboy said:

I had a similar experience a couple years ago - ended up roasting it on very high heat due to a faulty dome thermometer, and it was finished, well over target temp, two hours before guests were scheduled to arrive. I scrambled to prepare some gravy, afraid it would be dry, but it was the best turkey I ever made. Three lessons learned that year: 1) a turkey can easily sit for 2 hours, wrapped in a cooler - was still piping how when I carved it; 2) brining protects the turkey meat, especially useful when the cook ####s up; 3) roasting a turkey (or chicken) on high heat produces a better result than low/slow.

Users who are viewing this thread