What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you in favor of deploying a substantial number of American ground (1 Viewer)

Are you in favor of deploying a substantial number of American ground troops to Syria?

• Total voters
Hell no especially considering the mess that is Syria now and everybody who is involved trying to "fix" it.

i'm the only yes vote. arghh.

substantial to me would be a few hundred special forces, some air support and maybe 5,000 regular infrantry.

but, unless the pentagon loosens their rules of engagement to allow for more aggressive targetting and actions, then I'd change my vote to zero

substantial to me would be a few hundred special

forces, some air support and maybe 5,000 regular infrantry.

but, unless the pentagon loosens their rules of

engagement to allow for more aggressive targetting and actions, then I'd change my vote to zero
Who would we be fighting?

What would be the goal?

When would we leave?

engagement to allow for more aggressive targetting and actions, then I'd change my vote to zero

What would be the goal?

When would we leave?
ISIS- headquarters in Raqqa.

destroy them completely, seize control of the oil pipelines, end the illicit trade in slaves and antiquities, which would pretty much wipe out most of ISIS source of income.

keep a small force in place for many years to ensure security.

Yes if we have a coalition of troops and all country's involved send equal number of troops....I want the Russians to go in with us. Also I would like us to throw away the rules of combat that only we fight by and fight dirty ... F everyone of those Jihadist up. I'm talking major overkill. ..What about collateral damage. F collateral damage....war sucks and innocent people die, If we have to clean up other peoples mess because they are incapable that's on them. One more thing, what happens at war stays at war..These people do not understand being humane. You have to cut their **** off and shove it in their ###.

I'm tired of the US acting as the world police. Definite no for me.
this. Let's see Saudi Arabia deploy ground troops if it doesn't want it's region de stabilized. I would rather pay $6 per gallon for gas than continue to "help" middle eastern countries only to have it spew more hated via terror cells due to our presence there.It's not our problem.

Yes if we have a coalition of troops and all country's involved send equal number of troops....I want the Russians to go in with us. Also I would like us to throw away the rules of combat that only we fight by and fight dirty ... F everyone of those Jihadist up. I'm talking major overkill. ..What about collateral damage. F collateral damage....war sucks and innocent people die, If we have to clean up other peoples mess because they are incapable that's on them. One more thing, what happens at war stays at war..These people do not understand being humane. You have to cut their **** off and shove it in their ###.
Wondering - If you were living in an apartment in Chicago, and somehow an ISIS cell had gotten embedded in one of the units in your building, and The FBI knew it but didnt know who it was or which apartment it was - would you be OK with them just blowing up the building to be sure they got 'em? Of course you and your family are collateral damage, but that's to be expected, yes?

I'm not saying whether I agree with you or not. I'm just saying it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

92/8 sort of just proves the point that a vocal 5-10% can really skew perceptions of a debate.

ETA: I would have thought Otis and his aliases would be more than 8%.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't understand the region and our involvement in removing dictators have left a vacuum that is filled by what????

The problem is that the U.S. and Russia would not be able to work out who fills the power vacuum. are we fighting against the Jihadists or for them?

substantial to me would be a few hundred special forces, some air support and maybe 5,000 regular infrantry.

but, unless the pentagon loosens their rules of engagement to allow for more aggressive targetting and actions, then I'd change my vote to zero
The 2nd won't happen, so the first shouldn't either.

Honestly, do you have any clue of which you speak?

Wondering - If you were living in an apartment in Chicago, and somehow an ISIS cell had gotten embedded in one of the units in your building, and The FBI knew it but didnt know who it was or which apartment it was - would you be OK with them just blowing up the building to be sure they got 'em? Of course you and your family are collateral damage, but that's to be expected, yes?

I'm not saying whether I agree with you or not. I'm just saying it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.
Do I know the ISIS cell is there? Because if I do and my family and I are still living there then yes. See that is our problem, it is black and white for them, only we pay attention to the gray. If we go over there and we have a group of our soldiers in an apartment building mixed in with their innocent people do you think that would stop them from bombing that building.

I'm a yes vote, but

Part of an international coalition, not leading

Equal troops from EU countries and MidEast allies that have a more substantial dog in this fight

No nation building - this is simply an extermination of ISIS and a commitment to return in a year or two to exterminate whatever bugs take their place

Absolutely zero restrictions on methods of targeting or combat

Understanding that this will lead to massive civilian casualties in combat zone

Understanding that this will lead to massive military casualties on all sides

OR

We cut off the entire Mideast from the world

Iraq, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Egypt, and all other Muslim countries outside of Turkey subject to:

No imports

No exports other than oil

No travel to or from under any circumstances

Absolutely no immigration of any kind

Massive, crippling sanctions

No fly zones

Patrolled borders, anyone coming or going across killed on sight

OR

We simply live with Terrorism and never address ISIS or the MidEast

IOW there is no solution we can enact that will be effective. We can either treat the Mideast as an infestation zone that will foster and grow terrorist networks that the rest of the world will have to exterminate every couple of years, or we can isolate the entire region, or we can accept death via terrorism.

There are three options, none of them good. The only that will ever solve terrorism is an internal, societal rejection of the current societal states in the breeding ground countries, which would involve a massive reformation of Islam that would repeal Sharia Law, confer equal rights regardless of gender, nationality, and religion, and divest the ruling families of funds derived from shared resources (oil) and redistribute the revenue to the citizens of each country.

Until then, I think if the rest of the world wants to protect itself, it has to committ itself to a never-ending peacekeeping mission aimed at military removal of terrorist networks regardless of host country.

Probably more than you General.

What would be the goal?

When would we leave?
ISIS- headquarters in Raqqa.

destroy them completely, seize control of the oil pipelines, end the illicit trade in slaves and antiquities, which would pretty much wipe out most of ISIS source of income.

keep a small force in place for many years to ensure security.
We made a decision to not destroy the oil pipelines and infrastructure when they gained control. We need to reverse that decision immediately and take it all out. Destroy all infrastructure where they occupy.

ISIS succeeds because they do govern and have infrastructure. Taking it away is the first step.

Syria is a mess. In the current conditions I don't see objectives being met in a clear and concise way.

Deployment to Iraq- yes. We could push Daesh out of Iraq and stabilize that country and it would not be too costly. It would likely have the result of Daesh imploding in Syria as well.

Probably more than you General.
Cool. Then you already know we aren't going to "fight dirty" here, at least not publicly with a "substantial amount of ground troops", and what happens at war never really stays at war.

Also that we aren't going to win anything by saying "F collateral damage! bombs away!!!"

Do I know the ISIS cell is there? Because if I do and my family and I are still living there then yes. See that is our problem, it is black and white for them, only we pay attention to the gray. If we go over there and we have a group of our soldiers in an apartment building mixed in with their innocent people do you think that would stop them from bombing that building.
How courageous of you knowing that you'd never actually be in this situation. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brer Fox leapt out of the bushes and strolled over to Brer Rabbit. "Well, well, what have we here?" he asked, grinning an evil grin.

Brer Rabbit gulped. He was stuck fast. He did some fast thinking while Brer Fox rolled about on the road, laughing himself sick over Brer Rabbit's dilemma.

"I've got you this time, Brer Rabbit," said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. "You've sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?"

Brer Rabbit's eyes got very large. "Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you," mused Brer Fox. "No, that's too much trouble. Maybe I'll hang you instead."

"Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"If I'm going to hang you, I'll need some string," said Brer Fox. "And I don't have any string handy. But the stream's not far away, so maybe I'll drown you instead."

"Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"The briar patch, eh?" said Brer Fox. "What a wonderful idea! You'll be torn into little pieces!"

Grabbing up the tar-covered rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox's fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit's death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

"I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox," he called. "Born and bred in the briar patch."

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.

How courageous of you knowing that you'd never actually be in this situation. :thumbup:
Hey look who arrived at the party..Ms. Bucky

We are talking about fighting people who want nothing more than to die in battle. With us. It's hard to win when your goal is to live and preserve your way of life.

ISIS is a massive death cult we have allowed to become far too large. The only way you can beat ISIS is not try and be the good guy. ISIS succeeds because there is no will to stand up to them, and that is because human life simply isn't ascribed the value that it is in Western Countries.

Killing indiscriminately is not even a mental barrier for our enemy. Deliberately killing civilians is not a barrier. Torture is not a barrier.

To truly defeat ISIS you need to change the entire MidEast from the ground up. We can't do that. Only they can do that.

To minimize the damage they inflict on the rest of the world, you need to periodically bust them up when they reach capacity for conducting operations outside the MidEast.

Users who are viewing this thread