What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does Dez get a pass because he is Dez? (1 Viewer)

georg013

Footballguy
Extremely disappointing year for Dez but it seems few are talking about it. When was the last time he has had a truly great game? People who spent an early pick on him have to be upset. Do we just blame injury, situation, team? Seems we have a case of selective bust labeling around these parts. Lol.

Guys a bust for sure given where he was drafted at (I drafted him in the 2nd so I'm pretty disappointed). However he missed 70% of the season with a broken foot injury that usually keeps WR out the entire year...and then just as he was getting his star QB back Romo re-broke his collarbone. Only so much the guy can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, I don't consider players who miss a ton of time due to serious injuries to be busts. Eddie Lacy is a bust (despite him coming on as of late) because people were likely starting him week in, week out expecting high-end RB1 numbers and getting RB4/5 numbers in return.

Funny, Gordon wasnt allowed to be with his team for the off-season and 10 weeks of the season he was suspended... and he didnt get a pass

And gordon sure as #### wasnt doing it w better QBs than dez is...

Yes, he gets a pass.
This is not selective bust labeling its basic common sense.

The guy is playing with a screw in his foot, game back on a very aggressive timeline and has been playing with crap at QB all year.

Funny, Gordon wasnt allowed to be with his team for the off-season and 10 weeks of the season he was suspended... and he didnt get a pass

What are you talking about? What does one have to do with the other? Gordon didn't get a pass from the NFL after his umpteenth violation of the substance abuse policy. Dez broke his foot and his QB broke his everything else.

He should not get a pass for today. Go back and watch the first pick-6. He immediately gave up on the play and got in Norman's face instead of hustling to try and stop the interceptor from scoring. Given his speed and the way the defender had to loop around to eventually score, Dez could have possibly made a play. Even if not, you don't give up on a play like that so you can talk ####...unless you are a major tool like Dez clearly is.

1382/12 in 2012

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014

breaks his foot and misses serious time in 2015 but yeah the guy sucks and we hate him

He get's a pass cause he is still in that otherworldly category of physical gifts as a WR, he doesn't get a pass for his #### attitude and lack of effort on some plays like the first INT that was mentioned. He seems to becoming cockier and cockier as the years go on and maybe Dallas has loosened the ropes on what he's allowed to do because "he's Dez". I have no idea but he's still a great talent that I will be trying to flip to other owners before trade deadlines or in the offseason if I'm unsuccessful.

Other wordly? From NFL.com:

"Bryant has now been shut down by two of the top corners in the NFL in Norman and the Seahawks' Richard Sherman. The Cowboys wideout has fewer than 50 yards receiving in five of six games this season."

I want to give Dez a pass, but with all factors considered he's not doing as much with his targets as he should. IMO his foot is still bothering him. But I still believe and will be drafting him next year.

He's always been overrated by the fantasy community. People will continue to give him a pass on not being the top fantasy WR, but draft him as though he will be until he retires.

He's not QB-proof but that doesn't make him a bust. I don't blame anyone for drafting him early because if he and Romo had stayed healthy, he would have probably returned the investment, and neither injury was predictable. That's fantasy football...

He's always been overrated by the fantasy community. People will continue to give him a pass on not being the top fantasy WR, but draft him as though he will be until he retires.
Overrated?

1382/12 in 2012

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014

gordon wishes he had the career Dez has. That's why he gets the pass

I hope Dez sees more passes the rest of the year.
He's seeing plenty of passes. He averaged 8.8 targets per game before the season started. He's averaging 8.5 targets per game this year. His catch rate has dropped significantly from 62% before the season started to 45% for this season.

Overrated?1382/12 in 2012

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014
I'm not suggesting he's not a top 5 FF WR, but time and time again he's drafted as though he's the # 1 guy. He's never finished better than # 4 in PPR leagues, yet this past offseason he was ranked as the # 1 dynasty asset on DFL. Overrated.

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014
I'm not suggesting he's not a top 5 FF WR, but time and time again he's drafted as though he's the # 1 guy. He's never finished better than # 4 in PPR leagues, yet this past offseason he was the ranked as # 1 dynasty asset on DFL. Overrated.
There is a lot of truth to this.

Mmmmm. ok?

Dez is 27. And has had a really good career to date. Absolutely.

Gordon is 24. And in his ONLY full season, put up 300 more yards than Dez has ever put up in his career... And did it in 14 games.

When Gordon is 27, we can revisit and see where he's at.

Just so we're clear.... Dez had 2871yds in his first 3 season... in 43 games played.

Gordon? 2754yds in.... wait for it.... 35 games.

Mmmmm. ok?

Gordon is 24. And in his ONLY full season, put up 300 more yards than Dez has ever put up in his career... And did it in 14 games.

Just so we're clear.... Dez had 2871yds in his first 3 season... in 43 games played.

How dare you imply that Dez is not the best receiver in football. Get out of here you POS. GET OUT OF HERE NOW!!!!!

Mmmmm. ok?

I love Gordon, check the thread it's true, but you gotta be on the field to compile stats.

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014
I'm not suggesting he's not a top 5 FF WR, but time and time again he's drafted as though he's the # 1 guy. He's never finished better than # 4 in PPR leagues, yet this past offseason he was the ranked as # 1 dynasty asset on DFL. Overrated.
There is a lot of truth to this.
I don't see it. If you finish top 5 three years in a row, which he has, then you are in contention for #1 every single year and should be drafted accordingly.

I don't see it. If you finish top 5 three years in a row, which he has, then you are in contention for #1 every single year and should be drafted accordingly.
What you see as consistently top 5 (which isn't even true if we're talking PPR), I see as consistently not # 1. Give me Brown or OBJ any day of the week. Those guys have proven they can be the top dog; not just flirt with it.

1233/13 in 2013

1320/16 in 2014
I'm not suggesting he's not a top 5 FF WR, but time and time again he's drafted as though he's the # 1 guy. He's never finished better than # 4 in PPR leagues, yet this past offseason he was ranked as the # 1 dynasty asset on DFL. Overrated.
Drafting a guy #1 doesn't necessarily mean you think he will finish #1.

What you see as consistently top 5 (which isn't even true if we're talking PPR), I see as consistently not # 1. Give me Brown or OBJ any day of the week. Those guys have proven they can be the top dog; not just flirt with it.
So you drafted DeAndre Hopkins as the #1 WR this year, did you?

It does for me.

So you drafted DeAndre Hopkins as the #1 WR this year, did you?
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. I don't draft using a crystal ball. However, now that Hopkins and Julio have proven they can put up top shelf points, they're certainly in the conversation next August along with Brown and OBJ. I think I still take Brown though.

Other wordly? From NFL.com:

"Bryant has now been shut down by two of the top corners in the NFL in Norman and the Seahawks' Richard Sherman. The Cowboys wideout has fewer than 50 yards receiving in five of six games this season."
Worse thing about that statement is claiming Sherman is a top CB this year.

He should not get a pass for today. Go back and watch the first pick-6. He immediately gave up on the play and got in Norman's face instead of hustling to try and stop the interceptor from scoring. Given his speed and the way the defender had to loop around to eventually score, Dez could have possibly made a play. Even if not, you don't give up on a play like that so you can talk ####...unless you are a major tool like Dez clearly is.
That play was about as pathetic as you will see in football. Dez is the 1st guy who will kick & stomp around the sideline and get in people's face and this play gives he no credibility to ever call anyone out again.

It does for me.
So you draft overrated players every year just like people taking Dez. When you bank on your top pick being #1 you will come out disappointed 99%+ of the time.

I bet someone who drafted Dez as their WR1 the last 4 years was happier than most anyone else they could have taken in that spot over those 4 years..

So you draft overrated players every year just like people taking Dez. When you bank on your top pick being #1 you will come out disappointed 99%+ of the time.

I bet someone who drafted Dez as their WR1 the last 4 years was happier than most anyone else they could have taken in that spot over those 4 years..
Yeah. Totally.

Sincerely,

Calvin Johnson and Antonio Brown owners.

Whomever above introduced the notion of QB proof seems to be making a good point. Other wr studs such as Josh Gordon or Deandre Hopkins (emerging stud) are showing they can dominate regardless of who is slinging them the ball. What other GREATLY regarded wr's in the past dominated with a cadry of who's who at qb?

Yeah. Totally.

Sincerely,

You were able to get both these guys every year? So you had them both ranked #1 each year? Which one did you overrate each year? You predicted AB would double his output 3 years ago? You overrated Calvin last year way more than anyone did Dez.

Last 3 years ppr -

Dez 4,6,3

AB 1,7,40

Calvin 14,3,1

Demaryius 3,2,5

I'll take Demaryius or Dez with Romo.

Yeah. Totally.

Sincerely,

You were able to get both these guys every year? So you had them both ranked #1 each year? Which one did you overrate each year? You predicted AB would double his output 3 years ago? You overrated Calvin last year way more than anyone did Dez.

Last 3 years ppr -

Dez 4,6,3

AB 1,7,40

Calvin 14,3,1

Demaryius 3,2,5

I'll take Demaryius or Dez with Romo.
:no: Not only are your stats wrong, but now you're altering my argument. Let me make it easy for you.

In 2011, Calvin scored 359 PPR points. So in 2012 I draft him as the top WR and he scores 342 points, good for # 1. Dez scores 297, good for 4th.

In 2013, I draft Calvin again. This time he ONLY scores 303 points over 14 games. That's good for 5th (2nd in PPG). DT is number 1 that year. Dez scores 294 points, good for 7th.

In 2014, I draft DT who was # 1 the previous year. He scores 339 points, good for 2nd. Dez scores 316, good for 4th.

This year I draft Antonio Brown since he was the top dog in 2014. He's currently at 226 despite missing Roeth for however many games; good for # 3. Dez is currently 42 on a PPG basis.

So, by your own thread starting logic, you overrated your number 1 WR pick 3 of 4 years.

It does for me.

This guy gets it.

So, by your own thread starting logic, you overrated your number 1 WR pick 3 of 4 years.
You have a tough time understanding things, so I'm not going to waste any more time explaining it to you. Continue to use your top drafting spots to pick the 'safe' play where you have a high likelihood of only scoring VBD on a little more than half the teams in your league. That sounds like a great recipe for mediocrity.

You have a tough time understanding things, so I'm not going to waste any more time explaining it to you. Continue to use your top drafting spots to pick the 'safe' play where you have a high likelihood of only scoring VBD on a little more than half the teams in your league. That sounds like a great recipe for mediocrity.
People will continue to give him a pass on not being the top fantasy WR
Your words, not mine. 3 of 4 you were as wrong (or more so) than the guy that picked Dez every year.

People will continue to give him a pass on not being the top fantasy WR
Your words, not mine. 3 of 4 you were as wrong (or more so) than the guy that picked Dez every year.
At this point you're just trying to make yourself feel better about a crappy drafting strategy. I'd suggest you quit digging in your heels and learn from my wise words. You have to be sick of fighting for the last playoff spot year after year.

Dez plays for most any other team, and he's just a "very good receiver"
That applies to every other Stud Receiver in the NFL

What happened to Antonio Brown when Big Ben went down? (42, 45 , 24, 124 - 0 TDs) ... I'd say that's less than "Very Good Receiver" #'s

Users who are viewing this thread