What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does your league handle payout for regular season? (1 Viewer)

packer_junkie

Footballguy
Does your league pay out the #1 seed (best record), or does it pay out the team with the most points.

In my friendly/competitive 12 teamer, I am in 3rd place at 9-3 but I have almost 200 more points than the guy in 1st and 50 more than the guy in 2nd. The league bylaws state: $____ paid out to regular season champion (most points scored). It has been this way for three years and no one has said anything. Well the league leader at 10-2, is #####ing his head off in a group text currently that this is "jacked up" and the point of a "head to head" league is to win and he's won the most. My reply was simply that we cannot control our opponents our the schedule so I feel rewarding the high point scorer is most legitimate. I also said if we played every week I would be 9-3 and he would be 3-9 and if I played his schedule and he played mine, I would be 10-2 and he would be 7-5.

Would love to hear your thoughts...

My main league has a payout for #1 seed and a payout for most points scored, makes everyone happy.

If your bylaws say most points then that's how it has to be, change it next year if league vote dictates a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bylaws state it's high points... End of discussion...

Btw, we do half the pot to high points regular season (weeks 1 - 13) 6 teams make playoffs with top two seeds earning a bye in week 14, then the other half is split between 1st 2nd and 3rd. With 3rd getting entry fee back, 2nd doubling their entry fee and 1st taking what's left

The league bylaws state: $____ paid out to regular season champion (most points scored).

What anybody thinks or how any other league does it makes no difference. The above sentence is all that maters. If he or anyone else doesn't like it, well thats what offseason voting is for.

In all my leagues (10t-12t) I have the following payout/playoff structure:

Week 14/15/16 Playoffs.
6 Teams make playoffs. 1 & 2 seeds get a week 14 bye. (encourages participation through week 13).

Payouts generally 40% to 1st / 30% to 2nd / 20% to 3rd / 10% to 4th

If we have a cost per waiver transaction, that money generally goes into a pool:
• 50% to 1st place
• 50% to winner of the consolation tourney (between 6th-10th or 12th place).

We have discussed points champion payouts, but it's always voted down.
One league I don't commish gives a weekly points leader payout.

My main redraft structure is

12 teams all 12 make playoffs

4 division winners get first round bye

Playoffs

1st 60%

2nd 30%

3rd 10%

Total points

1st 60%

2nd 30%

3rd 10%

At the draft everyone throws in a $20 for league expense's(beer, food, etc)

Highest weekly score for the year gets leftover league money, usually like $140

Total points and playoff pay evenly

To answer OP's post

It is clearly in the rules, and it sounds like a whiny ##### that I wouldn't want in my league. Winning the playoffs is about getting hot at the right time, total points is about putting the best product on the field week in and out, and is more highly coveted.

Just read entirety of post...

Payout goes to League points. Why you'd even bother with H2H scheduling when you're paying based on points is confusing though... just go straight roto if that's the sole deciding factor.

Oof... I hate divisions.

• If you're not playing everyone, it's lame becuase some divisions will invariably be easier than others.

• If you're playing everyone, whats the point of divisions?

And don't even get me started on "Everyone makes the playoffs".... Hate hate hate that concept. Got dragged into a league like that when a buddy begged me to join his league. Why even bother with the regular season if everyone makes the playoffs :lol:

Oof... I hate divisions.

• If you're not playing everyone, it's lame becuase some divisions will invariably be easier than others.

And don't even get me started on "Everyone makes the playoffs".... Hate hate hate that concept. Got dragged into a league like that when a buddy begged me to join his league. Why even bother with the regular season if everyone makes the playoffs :lol:
Keeps people from quitting, when they get it handed to them. They always have a shot to make a late run, but yea it really sucks when that happens and the ####ty team wins the superbowl

We play till week 17, you play everyone once and div opponents twice, you have to get up for div games

Just read entirety of post...

Payout goes to League points. Why you'd even bother with H2H scheduling when you're paying based on points is confusing though... just go straight roto if that's the sole deciding factor.
My question as well. Sorta defeats the purpose

Oof... I hate divisions.

Keeps people from quitting, when they get it handed to them. They always have a shot to make a late run, but yea it really sucks when that happens and the ####ty team wins the superbowl
Separate consolation bracket/tourney for the bottom half of the league solves this without rendering the first 13 weeks of the season effectively meaningless.

Works fantastic in my leagues. We have 4 teams on the bubble between the main tourney and the consolation tourney and it has huge amounts of league excitement/chatter going despite 5 of 6 playoff spots already being clinched.

The guys who aren't in consolation are tweaking their teams to prep for the consolation bracket and talking smack about finishing strong. The top 4 guys are all in contention for the 1st/2nd seeds which have the huge benefit of getting the week 14 bye.

Basically everyone is VERY invested still.... By far the best setup in the ~15 years I've been commishing.

Two leagues have payouts for weekly high scorers but nothing for total points winner.

One league has payouts for top 3 in HTH, top 3 in total points AND top 3 in all-play record, in addition to payouts for weekly high scorers.

Oof... I hate divisions.

Separate consolation bracket/tourney for the bottom half of the league solves this without rendering the first 13 weeks of the season effectively meaningless.

Works fantastic in my leagues. We have 4 teams on the bubble between the main tourney and the consolation tourney and it has huge amounts of league excitement/chatter going despite 5 of 6 playoff spots already being clinched. The guys who aren't in consolation are tweaking their teams to prep for the consolation bracket and talking smack about finishing strong. By far the best setup in the ~15 years I've been commishing.
Regular season is played to get a playoff bye, and positioning for total points payout. I've only been making small changes yearly since taking over as commish, I have added several seasoned players over the years and they enjoy it. Haven't spent enough time thinking about it to form an opinion on consolation bracket.

total pot is 2300 (2500 minus site fee)

1st place in each division gets $100

1st place in points- 200

2nd place in points 75

3rd in points 25

Toilet Bowl winner (non playoff teams playing in weeks 14 and 15) gets 50

Week 17 (pick any lineup you want from the whole player pool) gets 50

Playoffs-

Champion- 60% of remaining pot

2nd place- 30% of remaining pot

winner of consolation game- 10% of remaining pot

DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS:
Champs - 50% & THE TROPHY
Runner-up - 20%
Divisional winners - 10% each
3rd Place - 5%
Most total points - 5%

We do $100 to the team with the most points each week from week 1-13.

Keeps everyone interested all season and makes each week that much more exciting.

I'm a big fan of it.

To the OP...so is this just an additional payout outside what you pay for the playoff bracket winners?

In my local league we pay out the top 4 in the playoff bracket and the "Total Points Champ" get their entry fee back as a prize. We also pay out a weekly high score prize and charge for the weekly low score.

Either way there is no right or wrong way to do payouts, just whatever your league agrees to as fun is what is best. Tell the guy to bring it up for a vote to change things if he wishes and go from there, but you certainly can't change things now mid-season.

35% to FFl bowl champ, smattering of money given to other playoff participants, 60% to champ

40% to point title champ, smattering for top 3, 65% to champ

20% for first half week 1-8 and 2nd half week 9-16 pt title winners, top 3 get some cash

5% to toilet bowl champ

Week 17 high score gets $25 rosters locked after week 16, otherwise week 17 not included

Good chance for everyone to win a little bit

25th year

Users who are viewing this thread