What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 FBG Album Poll - Courtney Barnett is #1 (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Previous results in my sig. If you haven't participated before, rules are below.

Suggestions and discussion welcome in this thread, As always PMing lists to me is encouraged vs. posting them here, so there is some drama in the big reveal, which as of right now I think will take place on a Friday in mid-January (people back from holidays etc...)

I'm not going to set a deadline yet for lists, but plan on having them in by first week of January 2016.

Link to best albums of 2015 thread

2014 Voting

2014 Results

These are the rules we've used in the past, still work for everyone, or should we do some tinkering? The one thing that happens with the assigned points is one person can love an album, give it 30 points and it finds it's way into the midsection of the countdown. It puts an album "loved" by one person ahead of one that was "liked" by 3 or 4 people, which can be either a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I think it adds some diversity to the chart but maybe we should roll the max per album back to 25?

- You have 200 points to distribute as you see fit among 10 to 20 albums.
- No album can be given more than 30 points
- You can also simply post your top 10-20 albums in order and they will be awarded points in a descending order from 19-1.

- You must post at least 10 albums
- Any album consisting of new/previously unreleased material released in 2015 is eligible (No reissues, compilations must be all new material)
- Live Albums must have been recorded and released in 2015
- EP's are eligible
- You can post your album rankings/points assignments here or PM them to me (PMing them to me adds some mystery as to how the final results shake out, but if some people just want to post a top 10/20 list, that's fine too).
The countdown will take place in a new thread I'll start shortly after that. I'll try to run through the whole list on one day.
- The more participants the better
- Let's try to keep this near the top of the page for the next couple weeks.

EXAMPLE 1 - Points Assigned:

The Beatles - Abbey Road - 30
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - 30
The Band - The Band - 25
The Who - Tommy - 20
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - 15
Led Zeppelin - II - 10
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground - 10
The Stooges - The Stooges - 10
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River - 10
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - 10
Neil Young with Crazy Horse -Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 5
Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis - 5
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams - 5
Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash - 5
The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace of Sin - 5
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - 1
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - 1
Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! - 1
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis - 1
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica - 1

Example 2 - Albums Ranked

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (will be awarded 19 points)
2. Led Zeppelin - IV (will be awarded 18 points)
3. The Who - Who's Next (will be awarded 17 points)
4. Joni Mitchell -Blue (will be awarded 16 points)
5. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (will be awarded 15 points)
6. Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (will be awarded 14 points)
7. David Bowie - Hunky Dory (will be awarded 13 points)
8. Carole King - Tapestry (will be awarded 12 points)
9. John Lennon - Imagine (will be awarded 11 points)
10. The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (will be awarded 10 points)
11. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (will be awarded 10 points)
12. T. Rex - Electric Warrior (will be awarded 9 points)
13. Janis Joplin - Pearl (will be awarded 8 points)
14. The Doors - L.A. Woman (will be awarded 7 points)
15. Can - Tago Mago (will be awarded 6 points)
16. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (will be awarded 5 points)
17. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (will be awarded 4 points)
18. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up (will be awarded 3 points)
19. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (will be awarded 2 points)
20. Yes - Fragile (will be awarded 1 points)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going through these lists trying to see if there are any albums I've missed - consensus seems to be heavy on pop/rap/r&b this years - Kendrick Lamar, Grimes, Vince Staples, Miguel, D'Angelo, Carly Rae Jepsen, Jamie XX...

For Indie/Alternative/Rock maybe a weaker year? Courtney Barnett is awesome and will likely top my list. Sleater-Kinney getting lots of love. CHVRCHES and Tame Impala near the top a few times as well

Looks like the ones I'm going to binge listen to over the next couple weeks are Car Seat Headrest, Beach Slang, Bully, Hop Along, Ought, Jim O'Rourke, Blur, Wolf Alice, Speedy Ortiz, Deerhunter, Alabama Shakes, Kurt Vile, The World is a Beautiful Place... what else am I missing?

I've been going through these lists trying to see if there are any albums I've missed - consensus seems to be heavy on pop/rap/r&b this years - Kendrick Lamar, Grimes, Vince Staples, Miguel, D'Angelo, Carly Rae Jepsen, Jamie XX...

For Indie/Alternative/Rock maybe a weaker year? Courtney Barnett is awesome and will likely top my list. Sleater-Kinney getting lots of love. CHVRCHES and Tame Impala near the top a few times as well

Looks like the ones I'm going to binge listen to over the next couple weeks are Car Seat Headrest, Beach Slang, Bully, Hop Along, Ought, Jim O'Rourke, Blur, Wolf Alice, Speedy Ortiz, Deerhunter, Alabama Shakes, Kurt Vile, The World is a Beautiful Place... what else am I missing?
I have to say, I really haven't had a lot that really hit me this year. Feels like I must have missed out on a number of the best ones. A lot of my favorites put out albums this year that I just didn't love. Passion Pit, Lupe Fiasco, Bjork, Neon Indian. Not bad albums but I was kinda let down by all of them.

I can't recall us ever sticking to the original deadline but I won't be able to send my list in until Jan 15 because (look at me) I'll be out of the country.

Steve Tasker said:
Northern Voice said:
Northern Voice said:

I have to say, I really haven't had a lot that really hit me this year. Feels like I must have missed out on a number of the best ones. A lot of my favorites put out albums this year that I just didn't love. Passion Pit, Lupe Fiasco, Bjork, Neon Indian. Not bad albums but I was kinda let down by all of them.
just got through the NME list... I completely missed that Young Fathers had a new one this year- sounds pretty great at first listen. Also missed that Sleaford Mods have two new ones. will have to check those out.

I guess I should look at those other best of lists too, even though Pitchfork is usually too electro-poppy/hip-hoppy for my taste.

The Ryan Adams record is far and away my favorite. A lot of meh other than that. Have a list of 10-16 I'll be listening to again for the next couple weeks to see if something jumps out. sK, Dawes, Don Henley....looking forward to seeing more suggestions as people comb through their favorites.

I don't listen to anything that could remotely be considered top 40 or pop.

Since Dream Theater's new album isn't due till January, I don't foresee anything else being released in the next week that would crack my list so....

PM sent

List PM'd

I had a hard time allocating all my points this year. Not sure if it is Spotify or what, but I find myself more singles oriented than whole albums.

It took me roughly 20x as long to come up with my 20 favorite singles (and had to stop myself at 20)

Here's my 2015 playlist if you want to seek any of these out

2015 - Loud and rough round the edges

2015 Singles 1 / The Legend of Chavo Guerrero / The Mountain Goats

2 / Billions of Eyes / Lady Lamb

3 / Pedestrian at Best / Courtney Barnett

4 / 40oz. on Repeat / FIDLAR

5 / Can't Get Enough of Myself / Santigold

6 / Nausea / Jeff Rosenstock

7 / Sister of Pearl / Baio

8 / Too Much Time Together / San Cisco

9 / Baby Blue / Action Bronson featuring Chance the Rapper

10 / Anonymous / Fort Frances

11 / Boys (That I Dated in Highschool) / Prettiots

12 / Jackrabbit / San Fermin

13 / Get It / Matt and Kim

14 / Cut Your Bangs / Girlpool

15 / Can't Stop Thinking About You / Tobias Jesso Jr.

16 / Tongues / Joywave

17 / Hands Down / The Greeting Committee

18 / Staring Contest / Mates of State

19 / All Our Songs / Built to Spill

20 / Went to War / Amason

NV cannot receive any more messages :(

1 / Fort Frances / No One Needs to Know Our Name / 30

2 / The Decemberists / What a Terrible World, What a Wonderful World / 30

3 / Lady Lamb / After / 25

4 / The Mountain Goats / Beat the Champ / 25

5 / Courtney Barnett / Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit / 15

6 / CHVRCHES / Every Open Eye / 15

7 / Grimes / Art Angels / 15

8 / Jamie xx / In Colour / 10

9 / Tobias Jesso Jr. / Goon / 10

10 / Girlpool / Before the World Was Big / 10

11 / Beach House / Thank Your Lucky Stars / 10

12 / Mark Ronson / Uptown Special / 5

Also - I have a list of my 100 favourite songs of the year - but still wondering if people might like to do a 2015 songs draft after the album reveal?

I can't recall us ever sticking to the original deadline but I won't be able to send my list in until Jan 15 because (look at me) I'll be out of the country.
I'm out of the country Jan 16-23. Countdown will be on a Friday, so either 15th or 29th - leaning 29th to get more lists in.

Narrowing down. Should be ready today or tomorrow.

Tough year without any real clear front runners for me.

List PM'd

I had a hard time allocating all my points this year. Not sure if it is Spotify or what, but I find myself more singles oriented than whole albums.

It took me roughly 20x as long to come up with my 20 favorite singles (and had to stop myself at 20)

that link just goes to Spotify home.

doubt there are any spoilers here since I didn't listen to much this year, but of what I did, this is what I liked:

1. Tobias Jesso Jr.: Goon 30 pts

2. Houndmouth: Little Neon Limelight 30 pts

3. Failure: The Heart Is A Monster 30 pts

4. Alabama Shakes: Sound & Color 25 pts

5. The Libertines: Anthems For Doomed 25 pts

6. Wilco: Star Wars 25 pts

7. The Waterboys: Modern Blues 10 pts

8. Metz: II 10 pts

9. Killing Joke: Pylon 5 pts

10. Leon Bridges: Coming Home 5 pts

11. My Morning Jacket: The Waterfall 4 pts

12. Blur: The Magic Whip 1 pts

I'm out of the country Jan 16-23. Countdown will be on a Friday, so either 15th or 29th - leaning 29th to get more lists in.
29th confirmed? (I'm hoping 29th so I can be here for the reveal :whistle: )
Yeah, it will be the 29th, FINAL deadline of the 26th, so I can compile it all for the countdown.

I wish I was a little more on top of the releases this year. I'm going to submit a list but I feel like I'm way behind on studying the field.

List PM'd

that link just goes to Spotify home.
https://open.spotify.com/user/kupcho1/playlist/4ona0F0g6SvTVZaJBdzHStFixed (I think)

PM sent

fwiw- my catch-all 2015 spotify playlist is here. (let me know if that doesn't work... never remember how to do this).

1 - We Hunt Buffalo - Living Ghosts 30

this is a late entry (for me) and it is no ####### joke

2 - Drenge - Undertow 20

not the best album called that but it's real good. I don't understand if he's writing songs as a chick or as a teh gay

3 - Royal Headache - High 20

4 - Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool 20

i just kept on listening to a handful of these songs, might be #2 or 3 if "Baby Ain't Made Of China" was on it

5 - Black ##### (like the cat) - Magic Mustache 10

stupid band name, yeah yeah rolling stones we get it, stupid album name. I guess these hipsters don't like money. Pretty great record though from the guy who used to be White Orange.. what was wrong with that name?

6 - Wand - Golem 10

7 - The Atomic #####wax (rhymes with Mitch) - Gravitron 10

now there's a ####### name

8 - Kadavar - Berlin 10

ya

9 - Local H - Hey, Killer 10

10 - Failure - The Heart Is A Monster 10

11 - Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves 10

12 - Evans the Death - Expect Delays 10

13 - Clutch - Psychic Warfare 10

14 - Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down... 10

15 - Shannon and the Clams - Gone By The Dawn 10
https://open.spotify.com/user/juddzilla/playlist/06PiWMTmVGgKpRHdHUrKZ3

30 - Ryan Adams - 1989

25 - catfish and the bottle men.

20 - Dawes

15 - young fathers - white men are black men too.

12 - James McMurtry

11- Jason Isabel

10 - Florida Georgia line.

9 - silversun pickups

Thought the rest of the year sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread