What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's a fair penalty to assess against the cheating Cardinals? (1 Viewer)

Correa is sentenced in April. Plus there should be time to investigate if Correa was acting alone or if this was "suggested" from farther up the ladder.

A couple numbers for reference.... The database Correa hacked was valued at $1.7MM during the prosecution. Teams value first round and sandwich picks on a sliding scale from about $8MM down to $5MM.

I like the idea of sending a high pick or two from STL to HOU, like a FA compensation pick this summer and the team's first-rounder next summer. Or letting HOU pick a player from the STL minor league system. Or some combo of pick(s) and player(s).

Seven-figure fine would seem to be in order.

No draft picks for 3 years
Shouldn't the Astros get those picks? If that was the value of the damage the Cards did, shouldn't Houston be compensated that amount?
If MLB takes away that many picks, IMO a few would be awarded to HOU as restitution, and the rest turned into vapor as a deterrent. Curious to see how MLB handles STL's offseason signing rights if they take away first-round picks. Would that also prevent them from signing QO-level free agents since they don't have a first-round pick to surrender? Or would it give STL more incentive to go after top FAs since the penalty of a lost draft pick is something they already don't have?

You can't reward Houston and give them draft picks. If you do that, you are "punishing" every other team in the league.

You can't reward Houston and give them draft picks. If you do that, you are "punishing" every other team in the league.
Houston was the only victim of the crime and suffered competitive loss. There should be fair compensation for that, though I admit it should not be so much as to be unfair to the unaffected.

New Stadium with Condos where the players have to live during the season.

In East St. Louis. *

I hear that's nottasogood. Otherwise, we can use East Philly (aka Camden, NJ)

Houston was the only victim of the crime and suffered competitive loss. There should be fair compensation for that, though I admit it should not be so much as to be unfair to the unaffected.
We've no idea if Houston suffered any loss here. And the harm to baseball in general is atleast as important here.

We've no idea if Houston suffered any loss here. And the harm to baseball in general is atleast as important here.
No lost value when the guy who stole your spreadsheet is picking directly in front of you every round for 200 rounds (or however many in a baseball draft), where Houston was picking first and STL last/not serpentine? Publicly leaking all your internal evaluations and trade talks would not be a loss?

If you don't wan't to give Houston something, fine, but the "suffered no loss" argument is horse####.

No lost value when the guy who stole your spreadsheet is picking directly in front of you every round for 200 rounds (or however many in a baseball draft), where Houston was picking first and STL last/not serpentine? Publicly leaking all your internal evaluations and trade talks would not be a loss? If you don't wan't to give Houston something, fine, but the "suffered no loss" argument is horse####.
Hard to understand why Correa is up against years in prison and hundreds of thousands in fines if Houston suffered no loss.

No lost value when the guy who stole your spreadsheet is picking directly in front of you every round for 200 rounds (or however many in a baseball draft), where Houston was picking first and STL last/not serpentine? Publicly leaking all your internal evaluations and trade talks would not be a loss? If you don't wan't to give Houston something, fine, but the "suffered no loss" argument is horse####.
Hard to understand why Correa is up against years in prison and hundreds of thousands in fines if Houston suffered no loss.
We know he had the information, we don't know how having that information changed the actions of the team. We do know that MLB as a whole has suffered a black eye because of this.

Seems like having a vault with the combination 1-2-3

Is a stupid password a defense for someone spinning the dials?

No

Is this the single largest cheating scenario ever in a professional sports league? I'm trying to think of anything close and I can't right now at an organizational level. I would assume they need to make a pretty big example out of STL here considering everything is on computers.

Heard on a radio interview that penalizing the Cardinals by taking away their draft picks might not happen because there are labor agreement complications with removing picks from top rounds in the draft. Nothing that can't be solved, but a consequence of removing a pick from the first round also removes a big first-round signing bonus to a player. That will be met with some resistance by the Players Association. Giving a STL picks to HOU would preserve the number of picks in the draft, but some of the other owners won't like a team getting such a valuable asset as a reward for having such an insecure network. Removing the pick from the draft and distributing that pick's bonus money across other picks would preserve the proper dollar amount allocated to new players, but some teams will balk at having to pay more draft bonus money because other team screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread