What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeSean McCoy sends off duty cops to hospital in Brawl (1 Viewer)

Report: LeSean McCoy assaulted 2 off-duty police officers

Caitlyn Holroyd Feb 8, 2016 09:50

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy was involved in an altercation with three off-duty police officers in Philadelphia over the weekend that left two officers with broken ribs, according to multiple reports.

Don't think this will end well. Stud to dud...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet Stephen A. Smith was in on that. LOL.

This sucks because you know there's at least a 50/50 chance that with this being Philadelphia officers, this whole thing started with those guys giving Shady the business. Of course, McCoy has to be a bigger/better man in that scenario but it sound like the Philly police department is a lot softer than I would think. Three cops in the big city of Philly and Shady puts two of them in the hospital? Dang.

The Super Bowl brings out the idiot in NFL players. Last year Warren Sapp, this year Shady.

Not much in the way of news with so little info. He wasn't arrested, why is that? Off duty cops are just citizens. Unless they identified themselves as officers and he assaulted them anyways, what does their occupations have to do with this other than to create headlines?

In any case, obviously not a smart thing for McCoy, but that's a different story.

Not much in the way of news with so little info. He wasn't arrested, why is that? Off duty cops are just citizens. Unless they identified themselves as officers and he assaulted them anyways, what does their occupations have to do with this other than to create headlines?

In any case, obviously not a smart thing for McCoy, but that's a different story.
I like your point here and have always thought the same thing. Why does everyone ratchet up the seriousness of the situation when they hear and off-duty copy is involved? I fully understand many do security work as a side job but like when one of them is doing it at a nightclub I don't consider them cops, I call them bouncers.

Really what people should be looking at is the inordinate amount of times we hear about off duty cops involved in scuffles.

At any rate I hope this is a sign of an exciting off-season in the NFL.

Really what people should be looking at is the inordinate amount of times we hear about off duty cops involved in scuffles.
I don't hear it that often, but it's typically only notable to mention one's profession in any scuffle if they're a handful of professions like a teacher, soldier, police man. The media typically doesn't care if someone is an off duty Accountant, so perhaps that's why you feel like they are involved in an inordinate amount of scuffles.

Police report

On Sunday, February 7, 2016, at approximately 2:45am, the Complainants were inside a Nightclub located at 1XX S. 2nd Street. An argument ensued as to the ownership of a bottle of Champaign, which led to pushing and shoving. At this point all below Suspects, engaged in a physical altercation with Complainant#1 who was then punched and knocked to the ground. While on the ground he was punched, kicked and stomped about his body and head multiple times by all four Suspects. Complainant#2 and security guards intervened and broke up the attack and all parties were ejected from the club. Complainant#1 transported himself to the Hospital where he was treated for a laceration to his right eye, broken nose, broken ribs, and a sprained thumb. Complainant#2, was admitted to the Hospital where he received eight stitches over his left eye and is currently receiving treatment for a possible skull fracture. The four suspects were subsequently identified through photographs by the complainants and by the security guards. Video surveillance was recovered from the outside of the club which shows both parties being ejected from the club; however, the incident itself wasn’t captured on video.
The investigation is active and ongoing; all updates will be sent upon availability.
Complainant #1: 40yrs old B/M off Duty Philadelphia Police Officer
Complainant #2: 40yrs old B/M, off duty Philadelphia Police Officer.

Suspect #1: 27yrs old B/M
Suspect #2: 30yrs old B/M
Suspect #3: 27yrs old B/M
Suspect #4: 26yrs old B/M

The complainants in this incident were off duty Philadelphia Police Officers and the Suspect are reported to be members of the National Football League.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/?pm-blogs=birds247#BSpDWc184xzLWsK9.99

Bullcrap the incident wasn't captured on video. Someone has cellphone footage and it will turn up eventually.

Shady is an idiot for being involved in any way, but I would love to see video or hear his side of the story too. Doesn't sound like the 2 off duty officers were totally innocent here to me.

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy and former NFL running back Curtis Brinkley were involved in an altercation with three off-duty Philadelphia police officers at an Old City nightclub this weekend, according to a police report obtained by CSNPhilly.com. The incident occurred at Recess around 2:45 a.m. Sunday, according to the report.

The report states that officers Darnell Jessie, Roland Butler and Sergeant Daniel Ayers purchased four bottles of champagne that evening. When Butler “moved to another location with his bottle,” former Pitt football player Tamarcus Porter “approached him and tried to pull the bottle from his hand.” According to the report, “an argument ensued as to the ownership of the bottle,” at which point McCoy, Brinkley and Christopher Henderson “assisted [Porter].” During the ensuing altercation, according to the report, Butler was knocked to the ground and “punched, kicked and stomped about his body and head multiple times.”

A law enforcement official told CSNPhilly.com that two of the officers suffered broken ribs. According to the report, Butler transported himself to Delaware County Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for a laceration to his right eye, a broken nose, broken ribs and a sprained thumb. Jessie was admitted to Hahnemann Hospital where he received stitches over his left eye and treatment for a possible skull fracture.

Video surveillance from outside showed both parties being ejected from the club, according to the report. A camera inside the club where the incident occurred “was not functional.”

Just before noon on Monday, the Bills released the following statement: "We are aware of the reports regarding LeSean McCoy and in the process of gathering more information. We will not provide any further comment at this time."

The Philadelphia Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

McCoy played six seasons in Philadelphia before being traded to Buffalo. Brinkley is a Philadelphia native and attended West Catholic High School. He played for the Chargers and Bears between 2009 and 2013.
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/lesean-mccoy-curtis-brinkley-altercation-duty-police

Bullcrap the incident wasn't captured on video. Someone has cellphone footage and it will turn up eventually.

Shady is an idiot for being involved in any way, but I would love to see video or hear his side of the story too. Doesn't sound like the 2 off duty officers were totally innocent here to me.
Agreed but I'd like to hear his reason why 4 guys proceeded to kick a guy, multiple times in the ribs and head, while he was down. Getting into a fight is one thing but that's taking it way too far.

I don't hear it that often, but it's typically only notable to mention one's profession in any scuffle if they're a handful of professions like a teacher, soldier, police man. The media typically doesn't care if someone is an off duty Accountant, so perhaps that's why you feel like they are involved in an inordinate amount of scuffles.
I don't understand why it makes any difference other than the obvious intent to stir drama.

If you leave it out, people will say "ok, something happened. Let's wait on the facts before we stir like a hornet's nest."

If you replace it with something else (Shady McCoy was involved in a fight with an off duty civil engineer) it means nothing.

It is obvious it is only mentioned for drama, not relevance.

Makes him sound bad ### by mentioning it was an off duty cop. Have to get half way into the story to find out it was him and three of his friends who kicked the crap out of the guy.

I have seen off duty cops who have been complete drunken a-holes so I wouldn't put all of this on Mc Coy yet. Also wtf are off duty cops doing out at 2:45 a.m. bar hopping?

As a Karlos Williams owner in Dynasty I'd be ok with Shady getting a year suspension or cut from the Bills for this.

According to our source, police have spoken to the officers involved in the incident, at least one of whom was said to be "f***** up" – an actual quote from the source – and their accounts match those given by security and staff from Recess. Warrants are reportedly being sought, perhaps to include McCoy, who, according to a bargoer who witnessed the fight, was involved and appeared to kick someone in the pile. Police may release security video they have of McCoy and friends leaving Recess after the altercation. Security cameras inside the club were "not working" at the time of the incident. [uPDATE: Mike Garafolo reports that law enforcement sources expect a warrant for McCoy with self-surrender allowed by mid-week.]

"Video surveillance was recovered from the outside of the club which shows both parties being ejected from the club; however, the incident itself wasn’t captured on video. "

So they kicked the cops out of the club? Interesting

Would love to see McCoy actually do some jail time for this. Tired of these big, athletic thugs thinking that rules don't apply to them. And the mob mentality of four of them kicking the guy when he's already on the ground is sickening. If it were four white guys beating up a black guy and kicking him enough to break ribs on the ground, this would be a national hate crime incident.

Would love to see McCoy actually do some jail time for this. Tired of these big, athletic thugs thinking that rules don't apply to them. And the mob mentality of four of them kicking the guy when he's already on the ground is sickening. If it were four white guys beating up a black guy and kicking him enough to break ribs on the ground, this would be a national hate crime incident.
I agree I think it could have been just a fight, two (sides) wrongs and whatever else to blow it off but kicking someone when they're down is over the top too much.

The way people seem pleased they threw the cops out of the bar makes me assume the cops weren't behaving and this could be settled before they get in trouble too. Something "doesn't smell right" when people are happy cops are thrown out of a bar.

Searching for anything like this on FB and reading the results is really entertaining. I've always said Philadelphia people are extremely passionate and it's just wow how fired up people are.

I agree I think it could have been just a fight, two (sides) wrongs and whatever else to blow it off but kicking someone when they're down is over the top too much.

The way people seem pleased they threw the cops out of the bar makes me assume the cops weren't behaving and this could be settled before they get in trouble too. Something "doesn't smell right" when people are happy cops are thrown out of a bar.

Searching for anything like this on FB and reading the results is really entertaining. I've always said Philadelphia people are extremely passionate and it's just wow how fired up people are.
In most clubs, when there's a fight, they just want all the participants to get out. Not sure if anyone knew they were off duty policemen at that point. I would think that if I was a cop and was with a buddy and trouble was starting with four big athletic looking guys, I would be pretty quick to let them know I was a police officer. Hoping that would deter them from taking to the next level. I would be interested in knowing the circumstances. And at what point, if at all, McCoy knew it was cops he was kicking in the skull and ribs.

We have such little info, but that doesn't seem to bother you.

Hmm, so the off duties did not immediately call police to report, impeding ability to interview witnesses at the scene, and now charges are imminent per ESPN?

We have such little info, but that doesn't seem to bother you.
Maybe it'll turn out that McCoy was trying to help an old lady across the street and two nasty off duty cops tried stealing his wallet and he was just defending himself. If that's revealed, I'll apologize.

What I do know so far is that McCoy and three other pro football players, got into a fight at 2:45 AM over a bottle of champagne. At some point, one of the cops ended up on the floor and he was punched and kicked enough to suffer many serious injuries, including broken ribs. Drawing from that information, my opinion is that I hope McCoy and his tough buddies do jail time. As with anything, my opinion may change as more information is released.

Users who are viewing this thread