What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Calvin Johnson a HOFer? (1 Viewer)

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 98 69.5%
  • No

Votes: 43 30.5%

• Total voters

Anarchy99

Footballguy
This question has been making the rounds this week. Assume Megatron hangs 'em up for good and never plays another down.

Lynn Swann chimed in with a great big NO.

The argument against is that he never won anything, didn't play long enough, and didn't elevate the play of his team.

Discuss.

There is such a log jam at WR, I feel like at some point he might make it in. But we just watched TO not get in because they didn't like his attitude...

This question has been making the rounds this week. Assume Megatron hangs 'em up for good and never plays another down.

The argument against is that he never won anything, didn't play long enough, and didn't elevate the play of his team.

Discuss.
never won anything - Don't see this as valid. Its a team game and WRs cant do it alone.

didn't play long enough - Played more games than Swann did?

didn't elevate the play of his team - what does this even mean?

Statistically superior to Swann in every way.

Led the league in yards twice, receptions once.

Discuss.
never won anything - Don't see this as valid. Its a team game and WRs cant do it alone.

Agreed and I am not trying to make the argument that Swann was better than Johnson but you can't compare receiving statistics from the 70s to now. It is a completely different game.

Led the league in yards twice, receptions once.

Discuss.

Agreed and I am not trying to make the argument that Swann was better than Johnson but you can't compare receiving statistics from the 70s to now. It is a completely different game.
Agreed, but stats are a big determining factor. Besides stats, all you have left is nonsense like "didn't elevate the play of his team".

The didn't elevate the play of his team stuff is from Swann. IMO, that's cryptic for playing on a bad team that never won anything. Not sure how or why Swann had comments on Megatron, but it sounds like he believes only 4 time champions belong in the HOF and winning is the only thing that should matter.

absolutely

Best WR in the game for a long stretch of time.
Led the league in receptions once, yardage twice.
I know as a Viking's fan, he was the one you would game plan to stop. They has no other talent. None.

FWIW, the first half of his career, he had these guys throwing him the ball:

2010 Shaun Hill (10) / Matthew Stafford (3) / Drew Stanton (3) 2009 Matthew Stafford (10) / Daunte Culpepper (5) / Drew Stanton (1) 2008 Dan Orlovsky (7) / Daunte Culpepper (5) / Jon Kitna (4) 2007 Jon Kitna (16)

-- HOF talent without question

-- 3 time 1st Team All-Pro (Irvin only had 1. C. Carter only had 2. M. Harrison had 3).

-- Record for most receiving yards in a single season

-- Lions story tough to tell without including him.

Yes, easily.

The didn't elevate the play of his team stuff is from Swann. IMO, that's cryptic for playing on a bad team that never won anything. Not sure how or why Swann had comments on Megatron, but it sounds like he believes only 4 time champions belong in the HOF and winning is the only thing that should matter.
Right, which is stupid. No matter what anyone thinks of Johnson, the premise from Swann is dumb.

We've seen the names before:

Butkus

Marino

Barry

Tony Gonzalez

Deacon Jones

on and on. Its a pretty extensive list of great players that never won the title.

Discuss.
Neither did Dan Marino, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter and many many others

it is a different league now, 10 years is more then enough now

The fact that guys like Orlosky, Kitna and others even got back up jobs after they left Detroit were because Calvin made them look better, they should have left Detroit and never played again. Look at Stafford, average quarterback who had a couple of monster years because of Calvin, Brandon Pettigrew had a couple of nice years because of Calvin drawing all the coverage away.

All that said he is a borderline hall of famer.

I say yes because most of the reasons that said no are ridiculous.

Yes, winning counts and counts big in the NFL but it is not all-inclusive in the decision making process.

Part of what makes the NFL interesting and great in terms of the HOF is that it DOES have a presence of people enshrined that aren't strictly by the numbers.

Despite a shortened career, Gale Sayers is in the Hall of Fame. Why? Because he is acknowledged as a phenomenal talent who had great impact on the game and changed it in a way. The fact that he got a bum deal with health isn't held against him the same way I hope the fact that Calvin got a bum deal by playing for the Lions won't be held against him.

Calvin is similar to Sayers in the "phenomenal talent who had great impact on the game and changed it" front. The unique blend of size and speed Calvin possessed literally changed the way the NFL approached to finding and using dominating big bodies who could separate in the Red zone. Yes, the spark of the idea had been churning for a while but it was guys like Calvin and a few others who came into the league that kicked that door down.

To me, it is obvious that the game changed and reacted based on what guys like Calvin brought to it. That is a noteworthy footnote in the history of the NFL game and so Calvin Johnson deserves to be included in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If lynn swann played on the lions in the 70s he wouldnt be in the hof either
If Lynn Swann played on any other team in any era, he wouldn't be in the HOF. There is that . . .
#pokethebear

Love it. I really do enjoy when guys who rode coat tails and found themselves in the HOF get snobby about guys they think aren't worthy. I mean, c'mon, Lynn Swann on the Patriots or Bears in the 70's means he's Keenan Allen, at best.

It's not like the NFL wasn't looking for big, fast, and agile WRs with good hands before he showed up.

It's not the Hall of Physical Specimens.

If Lynn Swann played on any other team in any era, he wouldn't be in the HOF. There is that . . .
#pokethebear

Love it. I really do enjoy when guys who rode coat tails and found themselves in the HOF get snobby about guys they think aren't worthy. I mean, c'mon, Lynn Swann on the Patriots or Bears in the 70's means he's Keenan Allen, at best.
I saw every game Lynn Swann played in the NFL. He was a pretty special receiver playing in an era where the running game was king and defensive backs could play a much more physical game. He also came up big in big games. It is all subjective but a lot of sports writers that saw him play agreed that he was HoF worthy.

Calvin Johnson was a great receiver that played on a lousy team that featured only him in the pass-happy league the NFL has become. I am not trying to make the case that Megatron doesn't belong in the HoF or that Lynn Swann was better because I don't think that he was. But their circumstances are so different that comparing stats is silly.

There is such a log jam at WR, I feel like at some point he might make it in. But we just watched TO not get in because they didn't like his attitude...
I wouldn't worry about TO. Keeping a dude off the first ballot in this case is just a way to scoff at his locker room antics and say eff you. He'll be in next year. No way a guy like him won't get in. Calvin will be in, I have no doubt. Even if he's right on the border, he'll get the benefit of the doubt cause he's been such a stand up guy.

It's not like the NFL wasn't looking for big, fast, and agile WRs with good hands before he showed up.

Actually, it is exactly like that.

As I said, before he arrived it WAS creeping in and the NFL was starting to get the idea but when you look at the annual TD receiving leaders prior to 2006, it is overwhelmingly the likes of Marvin, Reggie, Hines, DJAX, Torry Holt, Chris Henry, Steve Smith, etc,etc.

Yes, those were the days of a "little" bit of the occasional T.O. and TEs like Gonzo and Gates were starting to change the position, but for the vast most part, the NFL was clearly still playing small ball with speed. WHen Calvin arrived, and people started realizing how players like him created nightmares for defenses, ITs been bigger and better ever since. Entire offensive philosophies are designed this way. EVERY team now wants the Andre Johnson sized guy with wheels, the Mike Evans. It completely opened the door that will be here for a long time.

#pokethebear

I saw every game Lynn Swann played in the NFL. He was a pretty special receiver playing in an era where the running game was king and defensive backs could play a much more physical game. He also came up big in big games. It is all subjective but a lot of sports writers that saw him play agreed that he was HoF worthy.

Calvin Johnson was a great receiver that played on a lousy team that featured only him in the pass-happy league the NFL has become. I am not trying to make the case that Megatron doesn't belong in the HoF or that Lynn Swann was better because I don't think that he was. But their circumstances are so different that comparing stats is silly.
You're a Steelers fan and I'm sure you know more about Swann than I do so I'll defer that maybe he was special in his own way to warrant the selection but what I was saying/asking if anyone cares to answer: If you saw Swann back then and you can objectively remove him from the benefits he received from being on THOSE Steelers teams, is he the type of player who could have carved out a HOF career/resume had he played on the Niners, the Pats, the Bears, Rams, etc at the time he played? Was he "steve Smith" special in the way that it just doesn't matter...he s going to get his Or is he simply more likely to be a guy that won a lot on great teams and because defenses had other poisons to pick, somebody had to be the benefactor (not saying he was charity case, just asking if he was THE guy on a "regular" team back then, is he still as impressive?).

As I said, before he arrived it WAS creeping in and the NFL was starting to get the idea but when you look at the annual TD receiving leaders prior to 2006, it is overwhelmingly the likes of Marvin, Reggie, Hines, DJAX, Torry Holt, Chris Henry, Steve Smith, etc,etc.

Yes, those were the days of a "little" bit of the occasional T.O. and TEs like Gonzo and Gates were starting to change the position, but for the vast most part, the NFL was clearly still playing small ball with speed. WHen Calvin arrived, and people started realizing how players like him created nightmares for defenses, ITs been bigger and better ever since. Entire offensive philosophies are designed this way. EVERY team now wants the Andre Johnson sized guy with wheels, the Mike Evans. It completely opened the door that will be here for a long time.
Nope. Not seeing it.

The NFL never said, "Well sure you're fast and agile and have good hands but...you're just too darn big."

Absolutely he's a gifted athlete the likes that really haven't been matched before in the NFL. But just because he's the biggest/strongest/fastest doesn't earn him a place in The Hall. :shrug:

You mentioned Andre Johnson. He has 322 more catches and 2481 more yards than Calvin.

You mentioned Andre Johnson. He has 322 more catches and 2481 more yards than Calvin.
Right, but he's also played in 50 more games.

And that's part of the point too. Longevity has to be considered.

The point is being made that Calvin changed the game because he was a big receiver with small man talents and that made him unique. It doesn't.

And that's part of the point too. Longevity has to be considered.

The point is being made that Calvin changed the game because he was a big receiver with small man talents and that made him unique. It doesn't.
He also has 15 more TD's than Andre in 4 less seasons.

Actually, it is exactly like that.As I said, before he arrived it WAS creeping in and the NFL was starting to get the idea but when you look at the annual TD receiving leaders prior to 2006, it is overwhelmingly the likes of Marvin, Reggie, Hines, DJAX, Torry Holt, Chris Henry, Steve Smith, etc,etc.

And that's part of the point too. Longevity has to be considered.The point is being made that Calvin changed the game because he was a big receiver with small man talents and that made him unique. It doesn't.
Why does longevity have to be considered? He's played in more games than lots of HOFers. It isn't like he had two good years and called it a career.

I don't like the longevity angle anymore. Today's players are earning more money and are gaining a better understanding of what the game can do to their bodies down the road. Walking away early shouldn't be knock against someone.

To say a player like Brandon Marshall is more deserving of the Hall because he played more seasons and accumulated more stats, sounds silly to me. Calvin was the better player.

I always find these threads fascinating, if only to see what people value over other things.

As a side bar question, which WR was better and had more impact out of the following 3 options (assuming this era of football):

1) PLAYER X, who had twenty 500 yard receiving seasons for 10,000 career receiving yards

2) PLAYER Y, who had ten 1,000 yard receiving seasons for 10,000 career receiving yards

3) PLAYER Z, who had five 2,000 yard receiving seasons for 10,000 career receiving yards

Using a WAR model as they do in baseball, PLAYER will end up with a career negative war, as 500 receiving yards would be below replacement value for this era.

PLAYER Y probably won't have a high WAR score. There were 26 players who had 1,000 receiving yards this year, He'll earn some WAR, but his value is only a little above average.

PLAYER Z would rack up mega WAR values, even if he only played 5 seasons. His career WAR would far outclass PLAYER X and PLAYER Y. Yet when it comes to HOF consideration, people will be quick to point out he only played 5 years.

I don't like the longevity angle anymore. Today's players are earning more money and are gaining a better understanding of what the game can do to their bodies down the road. Walking away early shouldn't be knock against someone.

To say a player like Brandon Marshall is more deserving of the Hall because he played more seasons and accumulated more stats, sounds silly to me. Calvin was the better player.
I agree with this and I wasn't arguing that Andre Johnson is a HOF-er either.

I just cited him because the argument was that Calvin was the first of a "new breed". Which he wasn't.

And citing guys that are in the Hall but shouldn't be as reasons why he should be doesn't work either.

If there's a Hall of Physical Freaks Who Had Some "Wow" Moments and a Couple Great Seasons then CJ is a first balloter. He's just not an NFL HOF-er.

I really don't know what more he could have done. I think he's second all time with about 90 yards a game. Yes, the game has changed, but he was near the forefront of the changes.

I agree with this and I wasn't arguing that Andre Johnson is a HOF-er either.

I just cited him because the argument was that Calvin was the first of a "new breed". Which he wasn't.

And citing guys that are in the Hall but shouldn't be as reasons why he should be doesn't work either.

If there's a Hall of Physical Freaks Who Had Some "Wow" Moments and a Couple Great Seasons then CJ is a first balloter. He's just not an NFL HOF-er.
I still prefer someone who must be accounted for on every play over guys who might post "top 10 All Time" numbers.

Calvin has proven he is a HOF talent. IF he went on to play 5 more seasons with similar production... He'd be a lock. So why knock the guy for being smart with his body/brain....

Max Power said:
Calvin has proven he is a HOF talent. IF he went on to play 5 more seasons with similar production... He'd be a lock. So why knock the guy for being smart with his body/brain....
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.I already said he has HOF talent. But he didn't have HOF production.

Max Power said:
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.I already said he has HOF talent. But he didn't have HOF production.
According to what?

Max Power said:
Lolwhut? So if you look purely at season by season stats and never add them up into career numbers, you don't think those season by season numbers represent a great player?

Godsbrother said:
Shutout said:
Anarchy99 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
#pokethebearLove it. I really do enjoy when guys who rode coat tails and found themselves in the HOF get snobby about guys they think aren't worthy. I mean, c'mon, Lynn Swann on the Patriots or Bears in the 70's means he's Keenan Allen, at best.

I believe that the people who knock Swann never saw him play.

Max Power said:
Lolwhut? So if you look purely at season by season stats and never add them up into career numbers, you don't think those season by season numbers represent a great player?
Not HOF great, no. :shrug:

Voted yes, but not without a little hesitation. There have been a lot of dominating WRs the last few years.

Yes.

I have never been a fan of the idea that the total numbers should be at the top of the list. I think it's more important to look at how great guys were over a stretch of time, say maybe 7 years for a WR or something like that. He was dominant, and arguably the best WR in football for several years in a row.

I simply dont like the idea that guys get HOF credit for playing average football for the last 3-4 years of their careers and putting up average numbers that add to their totals.

If Calvin went out and played 4 more years and got about 300 more catches with 4000 more yards and 25 more TDs would that get him in? If so, why?? Those aren't anything remotely close to HOF type numbers. Not even close to pro bowl numbers.

To me the HOF is for the best players in the game. Calvin certainly qualifies.

Yes.

I have never been a fan of the idea that the total numbers should be at the top of the list. I think it's more important to look at how great guys were over a stretch of time, say maybe 7 years for a WR or something like that. He was dominant, and arguably the best WR in football for several years in a row.

I simply dont like the idea that guys get HOF credit for playing average football for the last 3-4 years of their careers and putting up average numbers that add to their totals.

If Calvin went out and played 4 more years and got about 300 more catches with 4000 more yards and 25 more TDs would that get him in? If so, why?? Those aren't anything remotely close to HOF type numbers. Not even close to pro bowl numbers.

To me the HOF is for the best players in the game. Calvin certainly qualifies.
Agreed.

This is essentially the same argument many of us use for why Terrell Davis should be in already (even though their positions and career arcs aren't the same).

Shutout said:
Godsbrother said:
Shutout said:
Anarchy99 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
#pokethebearLove it. I really do enjoy when guys who rode coat tails and found themselves in the HOF get snobby about guys they think aren't worthy. I mean, c'mon, Lynn Swann on the Patriots or Bears in the 70's means he's Keenan Allen, at best.

You're a Steelers fan and I'm sure you know more about Swann than I do so I'll defer that maybe he was special in his own way to warrant the selection but what I was saying/asking if anyone cares to answer: If you saw Swann back then and you can objectively remove him from the benefits he received from being on THOSE Steelers teams, is he the type of player who could have carved out a HOF career/resume had he played on the Niners, the Pats, the Bears, Rams, etc at the time he played? Was he "steve Smith" special in the way that it just doesn't matter...he s going to get his Or is he simply more likely to be a guy that won a lot on great teams and because defenses had other poisons to pick, somebody had to be the benefactor (not saying he was charity case, just asking if he was THE guy on a "regular" team back then, is he still as impressive?).
I think being a WR on the 70s Steelers where they featured the running game and playing along side another HOF receiver hurt Swanns numbers more than it helped.

I think if you put Megatron on the Steelers 70s team he doesn't even close to putting up the numbers he did with the Lions of the 2010s. Would he put up better numbers than Swann? Possibly but we will never know.

Swann was voted as a 1st team WR on the 70s Team of the Decade. He really was a pretty good wide receiver even if his numbers aren't sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread